I am left eye dominant [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I am left eye dominant

redbread67
02-22-2012, 19:11
I am right handed and left eye dominant per my eye dr. I am just getting into shooting handguns should i just try to learn it left handed or what. Any input appreciated.

whoops dude
02-22-2012, 19:20
I'm right handed but left eye dominant as well. I shoot left handed and fight southpaw. Honestly, I can shoot with both hands.

BEER
02-22-2012, 19:22
i'm the same way, but i was born 90% blind in my right eye. i have to shoot long guns left handed but with handguns i shoot right handed.

what i do is as a draw or step into my shooting stance is i turn my body from the waist up until my left eye lines up with the sights. this does 2 things, 1) it keeps the gun in my strong natural hand, 2) it offers a smaller profile if i'm ever in a fire fight situation.

try it for yourself. draw your handgun from your strong side and as you pull sweep your right foot back and start turning until you're standing almost cross body. the only real negative i've found to this so far is that it makes shooting big boomers like stout .44, .500, or other large bore handguns a bit uncomfortable since your wrists are perfectly alighned, but for "normal" calibers such as .357 and smaller it works fine.

Keyhole
02-22-2012, 19:22
Lots of us are cross-eye dominant. I don't fight it.

freedom790
02-23-2012, 06:42
I'm also left eye dominant, right handed. When I shoot action pistol my simple solution is I slightly turn my head right to align my left eye down the sights. With a little practice it just become natural.

I believe Todd Jarrett did a youtube video of this, it might be worth viewing.

Rumbler_G20
02-23-2012, 07:05
Shoot with both eyes open. It won't matter which eye is dominant if you use a squarish stance.

It won't much matter which hand you use as dominant to shoot with either.

Yeah, unless you are a bulls eye bench rest kinda shooter, both eyes open is pretty much the way to go. :wavey:

Z71bill
02-23-2012, 07:45
I had only been shooting right handed for about 40 years when I discovered I was left eye dominant. Honestly had never even heard of dominate eye thing.

It does explain why I always had trouble shooting a rifle with a scope -

Try it both left & right - before you decide.

I have developed arthritus - it is much worse in my right shoulder and hand - I have been considering more left hand practice because I can see the day where shooting right handed will be difficult.

Gdirty5
02-23-2012, 08:10
I am the same way, shooting rifles with an optic isn't a problem due to the optic being right in front of my right eye. I'm not sure how well my eyes focus with iron sights b/c my sig 556 swat doesn't really have a rear sight. But with pistols, I either close my left eye so my right can concentrate on it, or I turn my head about 15-20 degrees till my left eye is behind the sights.

Diesel McBadass
02-23-2012, 08:25
Try both eyes open in iso cross dominance wont matter.

eracer
02-23-2012, 08:40
Left-handed and right-eye dominant here.

I shoot rifles right-handed, and handguns left-handed. Been doing so for 35 years. I'm no expert marksman, but I believe I'm better off letting my dominant hand control the handgun.

fgutie35
02-23-2012, 08:50
left eye dominat here. I use an eye patch for rifle scope, and both eyes open for pistol. My eyes are not good for rifle open sights.:embarassed:

Brucev
02-23-2012, 09:10
I am right handed and left eye dominant per my eye dr. I am just getting into shooting handguns should i just try to learn it left handed or what. Any input appreciated.

My left-eye works fine. My right-eye... no. So.. I shoot right-handed and aim with my left-eye. It simply is not a issue. The "contingent" will of course disagree. They always do. It is their nature. But in the plain Jane world of on target results, it simply is not a issue.

barth
02-23-2012, 09:25

I'm cross eye dominant too.
Learned to shoot right handed with my weak eye open
and my strong left eye closed.

These days lots of folks say isosceles with both eyes open.
I can shoot like that and probably will close quarters point blank SD shooting
(well modified weaver both eyes open - LOL).

For target shooting I still go old school and it works just fine.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo36/63/fd/e57d50c109a3__1329951359000.jpg

Bren
02-23-2012, 09:48

Unless you are shooting long guns, it makes no difference. Just make sure you are using the correct eye to aim, since cross-dominant often means trying to aim with the non-dominant eye. The gun goes straight in front of you either way, so it doesn't matter which hand you grip with vs. which eye you aim with.

In instructor terms, "so, move the gun over an inch."

Dr. Strangelove
02-23-2012, 12:03
I had that problem. It wasn't a really big deal standing still at the range shooting paper, but when I started doing IPSC style matches, I noticed a difference forcing myself to shoot with my right eye.

I keep both eyes open and put a little scotch tape over the left eye on my shooting glasses. You naturally adjust to your right. After a while you just start using your right all the time.

You can train your body to overcome eye dominance with a little effort.

On the whole, I think people make a bigger deal out of this than it is. If you watch the front sight and get your trigger control down, there's not a lot that will keep you from hitting what you're aiming at.

Bren
02-23-2012, 13:14
I keep both eyes open and put a little scotch tape over the left eye on my shooting glasses. You naturally adjust to your right. After a while you just start using your right all the time.

You can train your body to overcome eye dominance with a little effort.

That is sometimes done by rifle shooters, but why would you try to force yourself to use your non-dominant eye for pistol?

syntaxerrorsix
02-23-2012, 15:25
I'm left eye dominant.

Pistols right hand.

Rifles and bows left hand.

I don't try to over think it.

series1811
02-23-2012, 15:46
I'm also left eye dominant, right handed. When I shoot action pistol my simple solution is I slightly turn my head right to align my left eye down the sights. With a little practice it just become natural.

I believe Todd Jarrett did a youtube video of this, it might be worth viewing.

That is the same way I deal with it. When I went through my first law enforcement academy, the instructors wanted me to change and shoot left handed. I declined as I was having no problems shooting good scores using my old tried and true method. I have never thought it to be as big a deal as some people make it out to be.