Browning SD/HD Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Browning SD/HD Question

acaligunner
02-22-2012, 20:23
I have a 1987 Belgium Hi Power that's been sitting in the safe
For about 10 years, it has 5-600 rounds thru her, mostly HP's.

Just wanted to know what service the pistol needs, ie- springs
Etc.

Also what do you think about the Mec-Gar magazines for the Hi Power.

Thanks

ca survivor
02-23-2012, 16:47
The recoil spring should be change and maybe the hammer spring also, Mec-Gar makes magazines for many manufactures of guns, like Beretta not sure if for H&K too, that is a great weapon, enjoy it.

Decguns
02-23-2012, 17:44
You've got a very long time before you need to replace any springs. When I went through an armorer's course, unsupported recoil springs like the Hi-Power and M1911 were on 3000rd intervals. You can typically go much, much longer than that. Age really doesn't matter that much. Movement wears out springs, not compression.

Mecgar mags are good. I prefer the Argentine or South African military variety better.

Ruble Noon
02-23-2012, 19:59
I have a 1987 Belgium Hi Power that's been sitting in the safe
For about 10 years, it has 5-600 rounds thru her, mostly HP's.

Just wanted to know what service the pistol needs, ie- springs
Etc.

Also what do you think about the Mec-Gar magazines for the Hi Power.

Thanks

Mec-Gar magazines are fine and your springs are too. Take it out of the safe and have some fun with it.

Alchemy
02-23-2012, 22:41
Mec-Gar magazines are fine and your springs are too. Take it out of the safe and have some fun with it.

After reading this post I took my BHP (vintage 82) and

shot 50 perfect rnd's thru her. Nothing fits your hand

better than a BHP or a Luger.

AustinTx
02-23-2012, 23:08
I had had a BHP that was over 30 years old and it didn't need any new springs.

acaligunner
02-24-2012, 00:05
I have to give the old gal a dance, I remember shooting the
Hi Power, and enjoyed shooting the gun but Moved on to Glocks.

I have a lot of older firearms that have just been sitting in storage. Thanks for all the information. I'll be getting some
More mags and ammo, then a range trip is in order. :)

AA#5
02-24-2012, 00:59
Unless the mags have been loaded the whole time, there is no reason to replace the springs. Same with the gun's springs. Just test fire a couple hundred rounds.

ca survivor
02-24-2012, 11:13
I had had a BHP that was over 30 years old and it didn't need any new springs.
compare your recoil spring length with a new one and will see.

AustinTx
02-24-2012, 19:03
compare your recoil spring length with a new one and will see.

I installed a new Wolff recoil spring, in a 1911, once upon a time and the spring got shorter (shrunk) by 3/4 of an inch, when I took it back out (immediately). It was not fired, just slide exercised.

The change in length doesn't necessarily mean the spring is worn out. I have never needed to replace any springs, in any, of my guns, over the years, because it caused a malfunction. The only exception was a disconnector spring, in a Sears 22rf semi-auto rifle. There are old Colt SSA pistols and Winchester rifles, over a 100 years old, with the original springs, still in them.