Location Specific Question For Northern Utah [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Location Specific Question For Northern Utah

Lone Kimono
02-22-2012, 20:54
I recently moved to Northern Utah and needed some advice from others who live here.

What are you all doing for water since it's a desert? Unless your house is huge there is only so much you can store.

What do you all have for tents and sleeping bags since it gets pretty warm in the summer and cold in the winter?

How do you plan on heating your homes since there aren't many trees so wood will be a problem?

Are you making any other special preps because of where we live?

cowboy1964
02-22-2012, 22:27
I like the desert but it sure does present some challenges.

JBL13
02-24-2012, 08:00
I recently moved to Northern Utah and needed some advice from others who live here.

What are you all doing for water since it's a desert? Unless your house is huge there is only so much you can store.

What do you all have for tents and sleeping bags since it gets pretty warm in the summer and cold in the winter?

How do you plan on heating your homes since there aren't many trees so wood will be a problem?

Are you making any other special preps because of where we live?

I live in a suburban area of northern Utah.

I have two polymer 50-gallon drums of water in my garage and some 2.5-gallon and 1-gallon water containers in my basement. There are streams in the canyons where more water could be obtained, and I have water purification tablets in case they come in handy. I should probably have more water storage than I do.

I have various sleeping bags and a three-man tent (there's just myself and my wife) and a lot of blankets. Nothing is particularly high-grade.

I don't have a fireplace, but I have a fire pit out back and some covered firewood outside. You can buy pre-cut firewood or you can go out and cut your own, where allowed. If you lay in a good supply of firewood and coal, you can get by for quite awhile without going out to look for wood.

I have a propane space heater that is labeled as being safe for indoor use. I used it once to heat a room when the power went out. (I'm sure others will criticize that, but nothing hinky went down.) I also spec'd a gas range when we built the house, so if the power goes out for an extended period of time but the natural gas is still viable, I can manually light my stove for warmth and cooking. We've done that a couple of times during relatively brief power outages.

Lone Kimono
02-28-2012, 12:03
I'm in the same boat as you, JBL13. I need to store more water and can't figure out how to. The closest river to my house is a few miles away, so it's not exactly convenient. I really need to check with my city and find out about zoning for a well. I'm not even sure I could get the water rights to what's under my house.

You are smart to store firewood. The only thing that worries me about that are the poisonous spiders we have here. I don't really want to give recluse or black widows a place to live near my house. There really are so many problems living in this area. I like your idea of coal. I could store that in 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot.

Again, it's hard planning for disasters here. We could get earthquakes, tornadoes, fires, blizzards/harsh winters, and droughts. I also think most of the game up in the mountains will be hunted pretty thin if there is a problem. Glad I'm starting now.

kirgi08
02-28-2012, 12:38
:goodpost:

We have,due ta this lack of winter,right at 38 cords of wood.There are natural products that block a "incursion".I hate spiders and know what a "recluse" will/can do.My best friend got bit 3 times at one time,my wife made him go ta the hospital.Saved his life,I hate spiders.'08.

Batesmotel
02-28-2012, 16:04
Blue 55 galon drums age great but they also make some tall, thin 250 gallon tanks that bolt to the wall of a garage. I also store 2 litter bottles where ever I can.

My biggest fear is earthquake. For wood I will start with downed trees, fences and even houses. Mostly for cooking. Heating my house with fire just will not work well except right near the fireplace.

Lone Kimono
02-28-2012, 19:58
Blue 55 galon drums age great but they also make some tall, thin 250 gallon tanks that bolt to the wall of a garage. I also store 2 litter bottles where ever I can.

My biggest fear is earthquake. For wood I will start with downed trees, fences and even houses. Mostly for cooking. Heating my house with fire just will not work well except right near the fireplace.

I've even looked at my hardwood floors as potential "firewood" if it got bad enough.

I'm worried about earthquakes as well. It could take out a lot of preps pretty fast. That's why I keep my BOB on the way out the door. Not much else I can do.

08, I hate spiders as well. Getting a recluse bite is nasty to say the least. Glad your wife made your friend go to the hospital. I'll have to look into those natural products.

Akita
02-28-2012, 20:12
I'm not anywhere near there, but you can dig a big hole in the backyard, bury tens of tons of coal and cover it with dirt against a rainy day. It will be good when your gggggggggggggreatgrandchildren want it.

For water, I'd do a large cistern. It Does rain in the desert sometimes, and if that doesnt happen fast enough for you, just fill from your municipal water supply.

Big Bird
02-28-2012, 20:36
Any chance of drilling a well?

Fuel for fire is a chore for sure. Lots of hauling from the high country...

Lone Kimono
02-28-2012, 23:43
I'm looking into a well, but I'm waiting to find out if my area is zoned for one. I also have to find out if I own the water rights to what is under my property.

I love the idea of burying coal. I'd feel a lot better knowing I have a nest egg I could tap into.

I appreciate all the help so far!

Akita
02-29-2012, 13:56
Remember that you need to make sure your stove can burn coal(it burns a lot hotter than wood).