Carrying 24/7 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carrying 24/7

hankthetank
02-23-2012, 07:44
How do you guys carry 24/7 ? How did you get yourself to carry day in and day out. I want to start carrying more but it seems like i only do it when it's convient for me. How can i get myself to carry all the time, any pointers ?

The Habit
02-23-2012, 07:57
Assuming your gun/holster combination is comfortable, just do it. There isn't any secret other than actually strapping it on every day. It will soon become second nature.

If your gun/holster combo is so intrusive that you don't want to carry everyday, re-evaluate your gear.

eclark53520
02-23-2012, 07:58
24/7? No. I take it off when i sleep, so it's typically about 12/7....

It's part of my routine. I put on my pants, put on my gun belt, put the gun/holster on, put everything in my pockets that i need and finish getting dressed.

I forget the G30 is even there most days. Once your body gets used to it being there, you forget it's there. The more you wear it, the less of an inconvenience it will be.

hankthetank
02-23-2012, 08:00
I carry a G19 in a comp-tac minatour. It seems a little tight. I should prolly try going a size up in my waist size but then theyr usually to baggy.

The Habit
02-23-2012, 08:32
You'll have to compromise somewhere. There is no "perfect" scenario for carry. For instance, I can't stand IWB carry and want more gun than I can pocket carry. Hence, I carry OWB and have to dress around the gun accordingly. Jackets and untucked long sleeve shirts in cool/cold weather and untucked short sleeve button up "cover" shirts in the summer. I will very occasionally pocket carry a smaller caliber gun if circumstances dictate certain attire.

So, you may need to deal with baggier pants.

RussP
02-23-2012, 10:21
How do you guys carry 24/7 ? How did you get yourself to carry day in and day out. I want to start carrying more but it seems like i only do it when it's convient for me. How can i get myself to carry all the time, any pointers ?Your profile says you're a Police Officer. How much more motivation do you need?

And, for those who need more information about hankthetank before you post...For you guys that are talking about weight and assuming that im "seiverly overweight" thats not the case at all. I go to the gym just about everyday. Im a 38in waist.... so if im 6'4" 300lbs with a 38in waist...well you do the math. im very active and much more muscular than fat so thank you for caring:cool:

dosei
02-23-2012, 10:35
How do you guys carry 24/7 ? How did you get yourself to carry day in and day out. I want to start carrying more but it seems like i only do it when it's convenient for me. How can i get myself to carry all the time, any pointers ?

Well, the single most important thing to help you carry regularly is COMFORT. That means an excellent gun belt (I highly encourage people to go with reinforced belts), an excellent holster, and proper clothing. For IWB carry, most (myself included) find that a littler larger waistband size results in a very pleasant increase in carry comfort. If you like trim fitting pants, then IWB will not work for you. I've come to very much enjoy the little bit of extra room (and resulting increase in freedom of movement) one gets from pants with a little larger waistband...but I had to try several different brands to find the ones that feel/fit/look best on me.

But aside from making sure your gear isn't "encouraging" you to disarm, it just comes down to DOING IT. That is how old habits/preferences (being unarmed) get replaced with new habits/preferences (being armed).

"Until you stop walking around naked, your clothing will continue to feel foreign to your body."

Agent6-3/8
02-23-2012, 10:39
Your profile says you're a Police Officer. How much more motivation do you need?

+1

With my last gig I had a S&W 4566 w/light, two mags, ASP, two cuffs, OC, light, radio, and camera mic on my duty belt. Even a steel 1911 felt light on my waist compared to that rig. My G19, which I also carry in a Comp-Tac MTAC is very comfortable.

hankthetank, what kind of belt are you using? A cheap-ass belt will create all kinds of comfort issues. When I don't need a dressier belt, I prefer reinforced nylon (5.11 Operator or Wilderness Instructor) for its excellent support and nearly infinite adjustability.

Rumbler_G20
02-23-2012, 10:51
How do you guys carry 24/7 ? How did you get yourself to carry day in and day out. I want to start carrying more but it seems like i only do it when it's convient for me. How can i get myself to carry all the time, any pointers ?

Think of the alternative. :faint:

Seriously. What if the worst happens and you are not prepared when it does?

Haven't you ever noticed that it is always the sleeping guard that gets killed first in the movies? There is a reason for that.

They were unprepared.:dunno:

sr975j
02-23-2012, 11:36
how do i carry day in and day out?...good belt, good holster, and watching the news (there are some crazy ass people on this planet).

Sam

DannyII
02-23-2012, 11:40
Just like breaking a bad habit (smoking, drinking, eating fatty foods) or starting a good habit (exercise, eating right, flossing, carrying), all you can do is to do it TODAY. If you didn't do it yesterday, no amount of guilt or wishing you had can change that. Likewise, planning on doing it tomorrow is equally useless.

Right now, get up, and put the rig on, even if you're not going out until later. Done and done for today! Repeat tomorrow.

+1 on the comfort level being important. Right now sitting here in my office, I have my 5-stitch Wilderness belt on, with my fully loaded 26 in the Glock sport/combat holster strong side, with a 15 round reload in glock mag holder and the cell phone on the weak side. Wallet and Streamlight pro-tac 2L in weak side rear pocket, Kershaw folder in right side front pocket. Everything is tucked in nice and tight, the belt and pants are comfy and not too tight, and the weight of it all is distributed well, and it balances nicely. All of it completely disappears under my sweater.

Bullwinkle J Moose
02-23-2012, 12:03
How can i get myself to carry all the time, any pointers ?

Perhaps you should elaborate on why you feel carrying 24/7 is inconvenient? Do you have kids at home? Is your wife/GF a nagging liberal? Is your weapon/rig too uncomfortable? If it's a matter of comfort, pony up and get a weapon and holster combo that is comfortable. At home I pack a J-frame, figuring that I can use it to get to something more effective if necessary.

hankthetank
02-23-2012, 12:12
I guess its me just being stubborn and not wanting to get jeans that are bigger in the waist. When i wear my rig it seems tight and digs in which i cant deal with on a hot day. My set up is a G19 in a CTAC MTAC with a wilderness tac belt, so my setup of good quality.

collim1
02-23-2012, 12:25
Start out slow. There is little excuse for leaving a jframe or LCP at the house. Either can slip in a pocket and cause little inconvienence throughout the day.

Last night after a 12hr shift wearing a vest and duty I absolutely did not want to strap on a gun and take the wife out to sushi. I put my 442 in a OWB holster and went out with just that.

It was a close brush with death, but I survived.

Seriously though, I normally carry a p239 and a spare mag. With a good belt and holster is not a bad tote. You will get used to it pretty quick and pretty soon it is second nature.

If you do work in LE you should be carrying something 24/7, no excuses. Even if its a jframe in the pocket with a speedstrip it might save your life.

DannyII
02-23-2012, 12:27
I have the MTAC, and sometimes carry my 19 in it, too. It's the best, most comfortable IWB I've ever tried. If you find that too uncomfortable, spend $12 and get a Glock sport/combat holster from MidwayUSA, or someplace, and try OWB.

If you don't like OWB, then you have but two solutions:

1. Bigger pants.
2. Less Hankthetank. :director: :workout::strong::treadmill:

:supergrin:

Bill Lumberg
02-25-2012, 08:12
Ask a police officer with your agency for tips. With a proper belt and holster, it's not a hardship. What do you carry in when you're on duty and what is your agency policy on off duty carry?

ADulay
02-25-2012, 11:45
Like a few others have already mentioned. Comfort is king when carrying all day and all night.

As I personally dislike putting a gun in my pants, I carry OWB with a cover garment of some sort.

Even my wife now looks for things that I can wear with an eye towards concealment!

AD

racer88
02-25-2012, 12:13
Ditto to all the above. I carry a G27 in a Crossbreed Supertuck or Whitehat Maxtuck all day, every day... whenever I'm wearing pants.

I think the most overlooked (and dismissed) piece of the equipment equation is the belt. Do NOT skip getting a REAL gun belt. Not a "stiff" belt you found at a department store... a real gun belt. It makes all the difference in the world.

HarleyGuy
02-25-2012, 12:13
I carry so frequently that going into places where I Can't carry is my only problem.

Carry what is most comfortable, regardless of caliber.

No one wants to be shot, even with a .22, .25. or .32.
Unless you encounter a BG who's wearing body armor these little pocket guns can be very effective especially with well placed hits.

Depending on the weather I usually carry a G-27 or a Kimber Ultra CDPII but lately I've been carrying a Kel-Tec .32 in a pocket holster.

If you carry IWB or OWB a good holster and belt really makes a big difference.

SCmasterblaster
02-25-2012, 14:57
http:/ 24/7 ? - well not quite. I have it off but right near to me when I am sleeping. When I am up and around I have my 3rd Gen G17 in a Bianchi No. 4/4L holster loaded with 17 Winchester +p+ 115gr JHPs. I chronoed this load - 1400 FPS. I have a 16-round backup mag on me as well. My friends and neighbors are safe from evil with me and this load around!! I also carry a good flashlight.

ancient_serpent
02-25-2012, 15:08
I invested in a selection of firearms that fit my requirements, a couple of good belts and a few appropriate holsters. Makes a world of difference.
I'm typically carrying a Kimber Pro CDP II with two spare mags, a Surefire and a CS Spartan.

MannyA
02-25-2012, 17:05
As Clint Smith says.....a firearm doesn't have to be comfortable it should be conforting

I have a blade teck IWB and love it. Try that or a or a cross breed

IhRedrider
02-25-2012, 17:16
If you do work in LE you should be carrying something 24/7, no excuses.

It kinda sounds like you are saying that someone in LE needs to carry more than someone who is not in LE. If that is the case, why? What makes them special? If that was not what you were saying disregard this post. Thanks

DaneA
02-25-2012, 19:59
How? The same way I am used to carrying my wallet or keys. It is just part of the normal routine. I carry a 26 in a CBST all day every day and really it is more uncomfortable if I don't have it on than if I do.

sappy13
02-25-2012, 20:03
just get a comfortable holster and a gun fits you. For me it has to be a small gun, around the size of a pf9 or my sig p238. With my 238 and a bellyband, i carry just about anytime i can. Only time im really without is if im at a clients, at the gym, or on a run. I could carry it on a run since i have bellyband but right now i dont.

Ryobi
02-26-2012, 05:46
If you don't understand the different nature and realities between a permittee and a police officer, him explaining it to you probably wouldn't help. It kinda sounds like you are saying that someone in LE needs to carry more than someone who is not in LE. If that is the case, why? What makes them special? If that was not what you were saying disregard this post. Thanks

hankthetank
02-26-2012, 06:53
It kinda sounds like you are saying that someone in LE needs to carry more than someone who is not in LE. If that is the case, why? What makes them special? If that was not what you were saying disregard this post. Thanks

I think we do because we deal with scumbags on a personal level. They might not like they way they were treated while in our custody. When dealing with these people they find things out about the officer, full name, address etc. thats what makes us different "special".

hankthetank
02-26-2012, 06:56
P.S. i just picked up a comp tac infidel for my g19 so we'll c how that works

Bill Lumberg
02-26-2012, 07:04
They do. It kinda sounds like you are saying that someone in LE needs to carry more than someone who is not in LE.

Krav Maglock
02-26-2012, 07:36
I use the Smart Carry Holster. I have absolutly no restrictions when it comes to clothes. I wear shorts and a t-shirt in the summer and jeans and a t-shirt in the winter. Once you get use to its positioning you will never look back, it also protects your groin area like a cup. best holster design ever imo.

Krav Maglock
02-26-2012, 07:44
I forgot to mention, I carry a G 23 no problems....

collim1
02-26-2012, 08:30

How many felony charges does a non LEO put on criminals?

People tend to be pissed about going to prison. I have bumped into a few people at the Walmart that I sent to prison.

I didn't mean any disrespect to non LEO's, but the decision to carry a gun is one a normal person has to make for themself.

For an LEO its already been made for you the day you swear in.

Bill Lumberg
02-26-2012, 09:15
Correct. One arrest can leave an angry son, angry wife, a whole family by blood and marriage who may project the poor choice of their arrested family member onto the arresting officer. It's not the ones you put into the system that you worry about- it's the associates who you may never have picked out of the crowd, but who know your face quite well and have a score to settle. Comparing permittee and LE in this respect reveals a glaring contrast, not a similarity in threat profiles. How many felony charges does a non LEO put on criminals?

People tend to be pissed about going to prison. I have bumped into a few people at the Walmart that I sent to prison.

I didn't mean any disrespect to non LEO's, but the decision to carry a gun is one a normal person has to make for themself.

For an LEO its already been made for you the day you swear in.

RussP
02-26-2012, 09:17
Let's review IhRedrider's post...If you do work in LE you should be carrying something 24/7, no excuses. Even if its a jframe in the pocket with a speedstrip it might save your life.It kinda sounds like you are saying that someone in LE needs to carry more than someone who is not in LE. If that is the case, why? What makes them special? If that was not what you were saying disregard this post. ThanksIf you don't understand the different nature and realities between a permittee and a police officer, him explaining it to you probably wouldn't help.They do.How many felony charges does a non LEO put on criminals?

For an LEO its already been made for you the day you swear in.Correct. One arrest can leave an angry son, angry wife, a whole family by blood and marriage who may project the poor choice of their arrested family member onto the arresting officer. It's not the ones you put into the system that you worry about- it's the associates who you may never have picked out of the crowd, but who know your face quite well and have a score to settle. Comparing permittee and LE in this respect reveals a glaring contrast, not a similarity in threat profiles.
I think we do because we deal with scumbags on a personal level. They might not like they way they were treated while in our custody. When dealing with these people they find things out about the officer, full name, address etc. thats what makes us different "special".I've known a few officers, not many though, who go home, throw their duty belts in the closet and do not touch a firearm again until they put the duty belts back on for the next shift. They all had reasons which are, to them, very good reasons. When I asked them how their spouses and significant others felt about their decisions, to a man they said, "She doesn't like guns."

collim1
02-26-2012, 13:48
Let's review IhRedrider's post...I've known a few officers, not many though, who go home, throw their duty belts in the closet and do not touch a firearm again until they put the duty belts back on for the next shift. They all had reasons which are, to them, very good reasons. When I asked them how their spouses and significant others felt about their decisions, to a man they said, "She doesn't like guns."

Fortunately its getting better. I used to guess that less than half of the officers I work with carry a gun 24/7. With the explosion of reliable and affordable pocket guns in the last 5 years I would guess about 70% of my co-workers are actually carrying a gun off-duty.

I am seeing a lot of LCP's and Sig P238's on the range on off-duty gun quals.

I try to carry a P239 and a spare mag 24/7 but at a mimimum I have my 442 and a speed strip on.

racer88
02-26-2012, 14:04
Let's review IhRedrider's post...I've known a few officers, not many though, who go home, throw their duty belts in the closet and do not touch a firearm again until they put the duty belts back on for the next shift. They all had reasons which are, to them, very good reasons. When I asked them how their spouses and significant others felt about their decisions, to a man they said, "She doesn't like guns."

That's interesting. I personally know a female officer (who is married to another officer). She carries concealed off-duty at all times. Her husband does not. Go figure.

HarleyGuy
02-27-2012, 01:19
Just the possession of a firearm for either an off-duty officer or a civilian carries a lot of responsibility and can really "crimp" your lifestyle.
I can understand (but do not agree with) a cop not wanting to carry a gun off-duty but I don't think it's a wise decision but they have a right to be wrong sometimes just like all of us.
You can't relax and have an alcoholic drink (least not in Michigan) while you're carrying and you can't even sit and eat with your spouse or friends in a bar.

I rarely go anywhere where I cannot legally carry and if I do I fell defenseless ( which I am) but I also don't allow that to keep from going.

BailRecoveryAgent
02-27-2012, 12:36
How can i get myself to carry all the time, any pointers ?

Simple, just carry it.

24/7? No. I take it off when i sleep, so it's typically about 12/7....

You sleep 12 hours a day?? Holy crap! :wow:

BailRecoveryAgent
02-27-2012, 12:48
Fortunately its getting better. I used to guess that less than half of the officers I work with carry a gun 24/7. With the explosion of reliable and affordable pocket guns in the last 5 years I would guess about 70% of my co-workers are actually carrying a gun off-duty.

I am seeing a lot of LCP's and Sig P238's on the range on off-duty gun quals.

I try to carry a P239 and a spare mag 24/7 but at a mimimum I have my 442 and a speed strip on.

A family member told me a couple months ago that according to his calculations, he thinks that only about 10% of the officers in his department carry all the time, with maybe 25% who carry sometimes.

janice6
02-27-2012, 13:07
I don't even think about it anymore. I am used to it being there. On rare occasions, I have to consider it is available, but otherwise I don't even feel it, or any inconvienence associated with it.

Wear it all the time and it will be a part of you.

I confess once, placing my weapon in the glove compartment, then after getting home, I take it out to go to the bathroom and was very surprised that there was no gun in my holster. I was unaware of any difference with the weight.

jellis11
02-27-2012, 13:34
I have a few different holsters and am in the market for an ankle holster. I've had to modify what I wear *slightly*. That's why I have more holsters, so I could keep my current clothes. A good belt helps a lot. Being able to have a second gun that you might not carry all the time but just something smaller for certain occasions helps.

tuica
02-27-2012, 13:55
I tell myself that the day I don't carry is when I will need it most. I also write the particular pistol carried that day in the date box on the calender that I will keep. I enjoy stats, and tabulating the numbers at year's end; how many days carried; which models carried, etc. So, to a certain extent, numbers drive my carrying. Cheers.