Does this look new? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Does this look new?

Glock 1
02-23-2012, 09:06
In short I am doing a trade for a LE6920 NIB. What I am trading is also NIB. I am new to AR's and this person finally sent me pics but it doesn't look new to me. How about you? He said he bought two of them back in 08 I think and that this one has been put up since then.

http://www.thepistoldepot.com/mypics/004.jpg

http://www.thepistoldepot.com/mypics/006.jpg

http://www.thepistoldepot.com/mypics/007.jpg

http://www.thepistoldepot.com/mypics/012.jpg

http://www.thepistoldepot.com/mypics/013.jpg

Glock 1
02-23-2012, 09:07
More...

http://www.thepistoldepot.com/mypics/015.jpg

http://www.thepistoldepot.com/mypics/016.jpg

http://www.thepistoldepot.com/mypics/017.jpg

http://www.thepistoldepot.com/mypics/019.jpg

http://www.thepistoldepot.com/mypics/020.jpg

Adjuster
02-23-2012, 10:10
Looks new to me. No wear marks or scratches that I can see.

Glock 1
02-23-2012, 10:13
There appears to be a little damage on the handle near the rear sight but that doesn't matter because its coming off in favor of a red dot. The different colors through me off until I read that is how they come. I just wanted to make sure.

The guy seems like an honestly good guy but the internet is no way to judge that.

packin23
02-23-2012, 10:20
There appears to be a little damage on the handle near the rear sight but that doesn't matter because its coming off in favor of a red dot. The different colors through me off until I read that is how they come. I just wanted to make sure.

The guy seems like an honestly good guy but the internet is no way to judge that.

I saw that too but it looks like he wiped it down with oil and a cloth that leaves a lot of lint. Could be something from the cloth he used.

faawrenchbndr
02-23-2012, 10:32
Looks like a new Colt to me. I would think it would have
been oiled and wiped down at least a few times since 2008!

Look at feed ramps, bolt carrier group, bolt, hammer & buffer to see if it's been fired.

Glock 1
02-23-2012, 10:56
He sent me pictures of its twin brother and you can definitely tell the difference. For better or for worse, its mine now. Tracking number in hand. Canít wait to get it in the mail. My first AR. :supergrin:

Foxtrotx1
02-23-2012, 10:58
The different color parts is mostly a camera trick. When I photog my M1A, some parts come out with a bronze red tint but in person look the same.

faawrenchbndr
02-23-2012, 11:01
He sent me pictures of its twin brother and you can definitely tell the difference. For better or for worse, its mine now. Tracking number in hand. Canít wait to get it in the mail. My first AR. :supergrin:

Awesome,.....congratulations!
You bought one of the best Carbines available!

deputy tom
02-23-2012, 11:11

Congrats. It looks new to me. tom.:thumbsup:

brausso
02-23-2012, 11:13
Look at the BCG and you'll quickly be able to tell if it's been fired a bunch.

Congrats on your purchase. I've gone through 7 or 8 different AR's and the only two I have left are my LE6920 and my LMT MRP. Love em both

Glock 1
02-23-2012, 11:20
Looks like a new Colt to me. I would think it would have
been oiled and wiped down at least a few times since 2008!

Look at feed ramps, bolt carrier group, bolt, hammer & buffer to see if it's been fired.

I will request pics of those now. He said he bought two of them in 08 and stored one in the safe and built one up so I imagine there is alot of oil. He sent pins of the twin and it has been modified and shot quite a bit.

Glock 1
02-23-2012, 11:23
Thanks, I sold two older Glocks to get the trade. I still have plenty of Glocks but no Shotgun or Rifle for SHTF moments so I took the leap. My next purchase is a Mossberg 930SPX 8 Shot autoloader. Then its nothing but ammo and mags for the next year. Atleast, that is what I say now. lol

MrMurphy
02-23-2012, 11:46
Definitely post closeups of the internals. That'll show.

brickboy240
02-23-2012, 12:33
Sweet!

That is going to be my first AR, too.

Looked at all the other ARs at or under the 6920's price and decided what the hell....might as well have the original article.

The newer 6920s I have seen all have "Colt M4 Carbine" on the receiver, though.

- brickboy240

Glock 1
02-23-2012, 13:22
I have been looking at flash suppressors, floating hand guards, grips, lights, ambi latchís, and optics all day and I can honestly say without a shadow of a doubt that this is going to cost me more than the trade. lol

svtpwnz
02-23-2012, 14:52
I have been looking at flash suppressors, floating hand guards, grips, lights, ambi latchís, and optics all day and I can honestly say without a shadow of a doubt that this is going to cost me more than the trade. lol

LOL! No kidding. The extras add up quick. Congrats!

Glock 1
02-23-2012, 15:10
I see a badger ambi latch, magpul pistol grip, 10-12" quad rail, eotech optics and magpul stock in my future real soon.

slickt0mmy
02-23-2012, 15:19
Looks pretty new to me! Congrats on the rifle :wavey:

PlasticGuy
02-23-2012, 15:33
All you can tell from the ouside is that it hasn't been dropped on concrete. The only way to know if it's been fired is to get pictures of the internals. In particular, look at the bolt face and lugs, at the hammer, and at the inside of the upper receiver.

samuse
02-23-2012, 18:16
If you're gonna shoot it and/or modify it, then what does it matter if it's been shot a little?

Those things last for a loooooong time. Maybe longer than a Glock.

I really doubt they'll go up in value much less hold what they sold for. Especially if it's a "big pin" Colt.

Glock 1
02-27-2012, 13:33
It really is more the principal. I can deal with light use. But don't tell me its new if it isn't. It certainly won't be when I get it.

faawrenchbndr
02-27-2012, 14:15
It really is more the principal. I can deal with light use. But don't tell me its new if it isn't. It certainly won't be when I get it.

I completely agree,.........

MrMurphy
02-27-2012, 14:46
Skip the Eotech, also, buy Green Eyes, Black Rifles by Kyle Lamb and the M4/M16 handbook by Mike Pannone.

Both are former Delta Force/special ops and know far more about the platform than you ever will.

jellis11
02-27-2012, 15:03
lol another "new to me" here too!

Congrats on that deal. Sweet gun.

Glock 1
02-27-2012, 16:23
Skip the Eotech, also, buy Green Eyes, Black Rifles by Kyle Lamb and the M4/M16 handbook by Mike Pannone.

Both are former Delta Force/special ops and know far more about the platform than you ever will.

I may be swayed towards the Aimpoint Micro over the Eotech. That and some BUIS.

I have Kyle Lambs here. got it a few days ago. I will look for the other one too. I downloaded Patrick Sweeneys on my Nook because it was free. learning alot of background on the AR from that. will move on to Lamb after that.

Glock 1
02-27-2012, 16:26
I just want the stock sights gone. the handle and the from sight have to go. Unless they impress me when they get here that is.

I know they only need to be functional but I am no commando. I am an urban range warrior. no reason I cannot have functional and good looking at the same time.

Magpul is going to get alot of my money in about a week.

faawrenchbndr
02-27-2012, 16:26
I've tried a few EoTech models,........still go back to my
proven AimPoint Comp M2

surf
02-27-2012, 20:44
I have a 6920 and a 6940 both still in the box from the 09' time frame. Look new to me. :supergrin:

Both are former Delta Force/special ops and know far more about the platform than you ever will.Ironically both Kyle and Mike use EOTech's. Mike actually describes how he uses the EOTech reticle for simple ranging. It is a pretty popular diagram often referred to online. There is also a preponderance of super ninja types from their former and similar former units running the most current versions of the EOHell overseas. Kyle Defoor (former Navy super ninja) also notes this. :supergrin:

Teecher45
02-27-2012, 22:10
Congrats, you won't be disapointed. Bought mine about 2 years ago and love it.
I've gone all tacti-cool on mine too.
A bright white light and an Aimpoint micro.

MrMurphy
02-28-2012, 02:47
They also get new free ones when the old ones die, and a truckfull of batteries.

The guys they used to work for change batteries daily, if not after every contact.

If you'd rather not do that, run an Aimpoint. There's a reason it's the general issue optic, because it works all the time, every time. Most SF/SEAL/etc/superhighspeeddude units run a mix of both, it's personal preference at that level.

Delta guys are at a skillset level about 95 billion times higher than most of us will ever attain, because they get free ammo every day and shoot, every single day. EVERY single day. Several hundred rounds minimum just to maintain proficiency.

Glock 1
02-28-2012, 20:03
I have already gotten a 12" rail picked out but I need to find a used A2 gas block I can grind down. I have been reading and it looks like the aftermarket blocks have a tendancy to move. I will explore that more before I do anything though. I know I want the A2 front sight and the handle to be gone.

faawrenchbndr
02-28-2012, 20:07
Spend the money and get a set screw low profile gas block.
99% of the time, the pins on an A2 sight block from another
rifle will NOT line up on a different rifle.

Glock 1
02-28-2012, 20:23
That sounds alot more appealing. Any particular brand you recommend?

WoodenPlank
02-28-2012, 20:23
I have already gotten a 12" rail picked out but I need to find a used A2 gas block I can grind down. I have been reading and it looks like the aftermarket blocks have a tendancy to move. I will explore that more before I do anything though. I know I want the A2 front sight and the handle to be gone.

The taper pins in an A-frame block have a bad habit of not matching from one rifle to another, mainly because they are not always drilled in the exact same place or to the same depth. Swapping a-frames seems to be a PITA as a result.

An aftermarket gas block can definitely be made to stay put, just takes a bit of know-how and a bit of extra work. I have a YHM low-profile block (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Yankee-Hill-Machine-Low-Profile-Gas-Block-yhm-p/yhm-9383%20gas%20block%20short.htm) on my SBR that uses 2 set screws to keep it in place. After the a-frame was removed, my smith dimpled the barrel under the rear set screw, so the end recessed slightly into the barrel when it was tightened down. Once he checked everything out in the gas system, the screws were backed out, coated with a bit of red lock-tite, and re-tightened. The lock-tite keeps them from backing out, and the screw that sits slightly into the barrel steel keeps the block from rotating or sliding off. In short, it's not going ANYWHERE without some deliberate effort.

Avoid the clamp-on style 2-piece block, as there doesn't seem to be an easy way to anchor them tightly. A set-screw type (like my YHM block or a LaRue block)can be made to stay put quite nicely, just need a drill press to dimple the barrel, and a little patience to do it right.

Edit: DAMN IT, FAA! This is what I get for not reading all the replies before posting my own. Bugger beat me to it. Oh well, I still provided more info. :rofl:

BBJones
02-28-2012, 20:25

If you are going to cut down the FSB, do the one that is already mated to your rifle.

WoodenPlank
02-28-2012, 20:26
OP, out of curiosity, what rail do you have picked out?

faawrenchbndr
02-28-2012, 20:32
That sounds alot more appealing. Any particular brand you recommend?

I prefer the Larue low pro block

WoodenPlank
02-28-2012, 21:03
I prefer the Larue low pro block

While I am normally a LaRue whore, the YHM block I use seems to work just as well as the LT block. Plus, it has a slightly smaller footprint, and costs almost a third of the LT model.

Roostmonkey
02-28-2012, 21:20
Thanks, I sold two older Glocks to get the trade. I still have plenty of Glocks but no Shotgun or Rifle for SHTF moments so I took the leap. My next purchase is a Mossberg 930SPX 8 Shot autoloader. Then its nothing but ammo and mags for the next year. Atleast, that is what I say now. lol

I have both of those weapons, bought in maybe two years apart... and that's what I said too. My three SKS's will tell you a different story.

themighty9mm
02-28-2012, 23:29
Both of mine came looking exactly that way new. Colt oils them heavily. he grey coloration of the grip is also exactly how one of mine looked. I'd bet very much so it is new

Glock 1
02-29-2012, 05:29
OP, out of curiosity, what rail do you have picked out?

This in 12", possibly 15" if it will fit.
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=450

I want to put a Lasermax micro with remote switch and a surefire on it. I don't want bulky and obnoxious, just fully functional.

Glock 1
02-29-2012, 05:31
I have both of those weapons, bought in maybe two years apart... and that's what I said too. My three SKS's will tell you a different story.

lol, my wife said the same thing. I didn't even get the words out of my mouth and she busted out laughing. I must say, an SKS is on my list too... :whistling:

Glock 1
02-29-2012, 05:36
The taper pins in an A-frame block have a bad habit of not matching from one rifle to another, mainly because they are not always drilled in the exact same place or to the same depth. Swapping a-frames seems to be a PITA as a result.

An aftermarket gas block can definitely be made to stay put, just takes a bit of know-how and a bit of extra work. I have a YHM low-profile block (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Yankee-Hill-Machine-Low-Profile-Gas-Block-yhm-p/yhm-9383%20gas%20block%20short.htm) on my SBR that uses 2 set screws to keep it in place. After the a-frame was removed, my smith dimpled the barrel under the rear set screw, so the end recessed slightly into the barrel when it was tightened down. Once he checked everything out in the gas system, the screws were backed out, coated with a bit of red lock-tite, and re-tightened. The lock-tite keeps them from backing out, and the screw that sits slightly into the barrel steel keeps the block from rotating or sliding off. In short, it's not going ANYWHERE without some deliberate effort.

I watched a video on youtube about the shaving of the Aframe and had thoughts of dimpling the barrel myself. I am mechanically inclined most of the time and it seemed so elementary that I figured there might be a reason why its not done.

I think I am going to use a file and make a flat spot and a flat bottom screw though to avoid going to deep into the barrel. Red locktite was my first thought too. If it comes loose I will deal with it then but I doubt very seriously it will.

Glock 1
02-29-2012, 06:13
Here is what I have planned. I am open to all suggestions. I am new and these are just the things that appeal to me and seem to fit my personal preferences.

MI 15Ē One piece G2 FF guard
A gas block solution
Magpul aluminum trigger guard
Troy folding M4 front battle sight
Troy folding rear battle sight
Magpol MOE Grip (Looking for a wraparound with finger grooves too.)
Magpul ACS stock
Lasermax LMS with remote switch (green)
Magpul angled foregrip
Troy Medieval flash hider
Badger ambi-latch charging handle
A tac-light (still researching these)
An EOTech or Aimpoint optic

Glock 1
02-29-2012, 06:15
I suppose I need a tool for this thing too. Any suggestions?

faawrenchbndr
02-29-2012, 06:18
While I am normally a LaRue whore, the YHM block I use seems to work just as well as the LT block. Plus, it has a slightly smaller footprint, and costs almost a third of the LT model.

YHM makes darn good products as well! I looked at that one,
it is a bit smaller and a crap load cheaper, good suggestion!

JASV.17
02-29-2012, 06:39
I suppose I need a tool for this thing too. Any suggestions?

If I were you, this is what I'd do...

Get the Troy BUIS. Get your choice of Aimpoint or EoTech. Get a cleaning kit. Get a ton of ammo. Go to range, shoot the snot out of your rifle a few times. Now reconsider all of the other options you've mentioned.

Now, if you desire more/longer rail, look at Centurion and DD. They both make rails that will accomodate the FSP, that'll save you the money and time of changing out or grinding your post. However, if you don't want a FSP, take a look at the Troy Alpha rail.

Think more about if you really want the Lasermax. As for tac light, try and find a Surefire G2 LED (check Lowes etc). They can be had for a good price. For a mount, I love Gear Sector. Another option, would be a Streamlight TLR or Surefire X300.

You also didn't mention anything about a sling? I like for my purpose, a single point. I have a Gear Sector into a Noveske endplate. For a 2 point, look at Blue Force Gear VCAS. The VTAC is nice as well.

Congrats on the new carbine, and yes, it looks new to me.

Glock 1
02-29-2012, 06:55

Get the Troy BUIS. Get your choice of Aimpoint or EoTech. Get a cleaning kit. Get a ton of ammo. Go to range, shoot the snot out of your rifle a few times. Now reconsider all of the other options you've mentioned.

Now, if you desire more/longer rail, look at Centurion and DD. They both make rails that will accomodate the FSP, that'll save you the money and time of changing out or grinding your post. However, if you don't want a FSP, take a look at the Troy Alpha rail.

Think more about if you really want the Lasermax. As for tac light, try and find a Surefire G2 LED (check Lowes etc). They can be had for a good price. For a mount, I love Gear Sector. Another option, would be a Streamlight TLR or Surefire X300.

You also didn't mention anything about a sling? I like for my purpose, a single point. I have a Gear Sector into a Noveske endplate. For a 2 point, look at Blue Force Gear VCAS. The VTAC is nice as well.

I knew I left something off. I am looking at a Blue Force 2 point but I think I want to take the gun to a LGS and try a few on if they have them. I have made friends with another FFL near me who has a storefront and lets me play with toys in there. I will likely hit them up and see if they will let me come in and try on a few. I figure a sling is like jeans, some fit, some fit really good.

I do want the FSP gone. I did look at a DD rail but not the Centurion I will check them out. The laser is more of a tacti-cool thing for me. I may just leave off the remote switch and put it on my G21 to play with. I was looking at the TLR light but the Surefire looks more intense. I will check out both.

Cleaning kit, I left that off too. Thanks for the reminder.

Glock 1
02-29-2012, 07:02
The gas block I need is a .750?

Nevermind, I see the measurement does not reference ID. Its the length of the block. I need more coffee.

JASV.17
02-29-2012, 07:16
Oh....duh.....how about mags, too? I think we've all forgot about those.

I order pmags from Primary Arms. Get some railcovers while you're at it. I like Magpul ladder rails, nice and low-pro.

Glock 1
02-29-2012, 08:10
I get magpul mags at cost so I already have plans to buy a lot of them. I am of course open to less expensive options.

WoodenPlank
02-29-2012, 08:22
I watched a video on youtube about the shaving of the Aframe and had thoughts of dimpling the barrel myself. I am mechanically inclined most of the time and it seemed so elementary that I figured there might be a reason why its not done.

I think I am going to use a file and make a flat spot and a flat bottom screw though to avoid going to deep into the barrel. Red locktite was my first thought too. If it comes loose I will deal with it then but I doubt very seriously it will.

When I refer to dimpling the barrel, I'm talking a small fraction of an inch - far less than the depth of the taper pin holes, and nowhere near the bore itself.

QUOTE=Glock 1;18646652]This in 12", possibly 15" if it will fit.
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=450

I want to put a Lasermax micro with remote switch and a surefire on it. I don't want bulky and obnoxious, just fully functional.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I have never been impressed with MI rails. If you want a "slick" tube, look at the Troy rails. Also, I'm not a fan of lasers on long guns except for IR lasers when running NOD. However...

I really have to agree with the bit in bold. Rebuilding your upper 5-6 times because you wanna change something is an expensive process (ask me how I know). Spend some time with the bare-bones carbine first, learn the ins and outs, THEN start looking at upgrades.

I get magpul mags at cost so I already have plans to buy a lot of them. I am of course open to less expensive options.

Nothing wrong with PMAGs at all, especially if you get them for under MSRP.

Glock 1
02-29-2012, 08:43
I plan on spending a lot of time with the stock version. No way I can wait to go shoot it. lol. I will probably be ďsickĒ Tuesday and have to miss work. Nothing a trip to the range wonít fix of course. I also need to know how it runs stock incase I FUBAR something up, I know how itís supposed to shoot. So, my vision of what I want this to end up may indeed change.

I get Troy stuff at cost and MI as well so I will look at Troy rails again once I have this thing broke in.

Thanks btw. You guys have been very helpful to a rifle noob without ridicule and I appreciate that more than you know. I am reading this thread and reading my AR-books when I am not here so I am learning. Right now, itís mostly the history of the AR but itís getting into more details of the current models now.

faawrenchbndr
02-29-2012, 09:10
Most here really will do all we can to help. There are a few
that will pick on the new guys. Most of those mean no harm
just pickin on the newbie.

Pics when you get it!

Glock 1
02-29-2012, 11:32
Oh you can count on that. I already requested the day off from work. lol

captdreifus
03-02-2012, 09:27
Did you budget in a carbine course or two so you know how to run your carbine in a "shtf" moment?

Glock 1
03-02-2012, 10:15
Did you budget in a carbine course or two so you know how to run your carbine in a "shtf" moment?

Not yet. Reason? I have to lose a some weight and get my mobility back 100% without a cardiac arrest. I am a computer guy/gamer and I am in horrible shape because I am at rest 99% of my day. I am working on that though. Once I have dropped enough weight to not feel like I am going to drop dead of a heart attack, I plan on doing just that.

captdreifus
03-02-2012, 17:11
Not yet. Reason? I have to lose a some weight and get my mobility back 100% without a cardiac arrest. I am a computer guy/gamer and I am in horrible shape because I am at rest 99% of my day. I am working on that though. Once I have dropped enough weight to not feel like I am going to drop dead of a heart attack, I plan on doing just that.

You say you plan on using this as a range/defensive weapon? Do you know the basic manual of arms? You don't have to "run and gun" just yet. I suggest you get some training on that platform before you rely on it for defensive purposes:wavey:

Glock 1
03-02-2012, 18:22
I plan on it. It is supposed to be here Monday. I have watched and read more on these things since this deal came through. I cannot wait till it gets here. The first time I go to the range will be with someone who knows AR's. I don't want to ^%k it up or shoot myself or anyone else.

captdreifus
03-02-2012, 21:53
I plan on it. It is supposed to be here Monday. I have watched and read more on these things since this deal came through. I cannot wait till it gets here. The first time I go to the range will be with someone who knows AR's. I don't want to ^%k it up or shoot myself or anyone else.

Sounds like a great plan. I'd suggest the BCM gunfighter ch over the badger. I'm a lefty and I feel the BCM is the more solid unit.

WoodenPlank
03-02-2012, 21:54
Sounds like a great plan. I'd suggest the BCM gunfighter ch over the badger. I'm a lefty and I feel the BCM is the more solid unit.

Agreed. Had a badger latch cause significant wear on the charging handle body, as well as damage to the two leaves that the latch sits between. No such issues at all with my Mod 4 Gunfighter.

Glock 1
03-04-2012, 12:39
Can't wait. It will be here tomorrow. AR porn to come. I have 1000 rds of ammo coming Tuesday and hopefully a sore trigger finger by the weekend. I plan on taking it out stock and killing some paper targets. :)

My suppliers no longer stock Badger. Maybe that is why. The Gunfighter 4 looks like my cup of tea too and less expensive. Might have to go that route once I have put some rounds through this and figure out what I want/need.

Glock 1
03-04-2012, 12:42
Is the only purpose of the ambi latch for lefty's? I figured it was for ease of grabbing it. I am not a lefty. lol Again, new to AR's so go easy on the noob. :embarassed:

WoodenPlank
03-04-2012, 16:43
Is the only purpose of the ambi latch for lefty's? I figured it was for ease of grabbing it. I am not a lefty. lol Again, new to AR's so go easy on the noob. :embarassed:

Lefties and weak-side clearance drills for righties. Not that big of a deal, though. The Gunfighter does make clearance drills MUCH easier, though.

Glock 1
03-04-2012, 20:16
I will see how she handles out of the box and go from there. I have a stock, grip and rail I want but other than that I will see how she handles. :supergrin: Can't wait!

Glock 1
03-05-2012, 12:28
Got her today! If I smiled any wider my tonsils would fall out! I love it! Definitely brand new. Pins are super tight. Carrier and charge handle show no wear. That mark near the rear sight adjust was white grease. Got pics. Thanks to youtube I knew how to field strip it. The bore is smooth and flawless.

http://thepistoldepot.com/mypics/ar1.jpg

http://thepistoldepot.com/mypics/ar2.jpg

http://thepistoldepot.com/mypics/ar3.jpg

nathanours
03-05-2012, 15:30
Very nice! I've got a 6920 and love it. One thing I changed on mine was the stock grip. I've got a magpul MIAD on mine that makes a huge difference. It also has a storage space for batteries, a spare firing pin, or 3 additional rounds.

Mine's got:

Aimpoint M4
DD rail with magpul VFG
Magpul Miad grip

Still need to get a rear BUIS and a good sling setup.

I carried it by the carry handle (had on a 55lb backpack) for a 9 mile hike into the Bob Marshall wilderness in Montana for a 9 day camping trip and it wasn't too bad though.

Glock 1
03-05-2012, 15:46
You can bet Magpul grip, stock and BUIS are on my list. I plan on getting rid of the A frame and handle. Going to put on a 12-15" floating rail, Magpul AFG and troy gas block I think. Just kinda thinking out loud. Will know more after this weekend.

SigFTW
03-06-2012, 10:47
Very nice!! let us know the range report :thumbsup: