5.7 pistol's need 500 round break in per FNh!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 5.7 pistol's need 500 round break in per FNh!!!

Narkcop
02-23-2012, 15:53
I have a 5.7 pistol in dark earth that will not reliably function with FACTORY SS-192 ammo. I call customer service & the guy says "Shoot 500 rounds of SS-197 thru it first". He eventually said it might have a heavier recoik spring, I have a black 5.7 thats flawless with SS-192 & everything else, They also advised they won't pay for return shipping:steamed:

TN.Frank
02-23-2012, 15:58
Sounds like they're trying to sell ammo to me. I know folks talk about "break in" periods for their semis but IMHO if it's designed right at the factory then it should work right out of the box.
Maybe you can sit and hand cycle it while you watch TV or something to ware it in a bit or maybe just lock the slide back and leave it for a couple weeks, that'll put a good set in the recoil spring and take some of the tension out of it.

Rumbler_G20
02-23-2012, 16:00
Wait. So you are fussin about having a great excuse to go to the range for a half a day and blow off some ammo?

Have I got that about right? :tongueout:

;)

PlasticGuy
02-23-2012, 16:18
Both of my Five seveNs have been flawless. What type of malfunctions are you getting?

TN.Frank
02-23-2012, 16:18
Wait. So you are fussin about having a great excuse to go to the range for a half a day and blow off some ammo?

Have I got that about right? :tongueout:

;)

Maybe he can't afford gas to drive to the range.LOL. Also, 5.7x28mm isn't exactly cheap from what I've seen. I still think a good bit of hand cycling will help to break it in without the expense of shooting up all that ammo.

Berto
02-23-2012, 18:35
THat's an expensive break-in.

glock2740
02-23-2012, 18:40
I've kinda wanted one of those for awhile, but the price is ridiculous IMO and lately there lots of negative reports on them. They are pretty cool and fun to shoot.

bac1023
02-23-2012, 19:05
Mine has worked great from round one, actually.

20SFLV
02-23-2012, 20:30
I have a 5.7 pistol in dark earth that will not reliably function with FACTORY SS-192 ammo. I call customer service & the guy says "Shoot 500 rounds of SS-197 thru it first". He eventually said it might have a heavier recoik spring, I have a black 5.7 thats flawless with SS-192 & everything else, They also advised they won't pay for return shipping:steamed:

500 rounds does sound a little high. Mine worked fine right out of the box, but I shot SS195LF and SS197SR. I had the gun worked on a year ago, and some of the springs got replaced. The higher powered ammo didn't always eject the ammo, and I was told I can either shoot a box or two of SS197 or keep shooting the higher powered ammo, and that will break in the springs sooner than SS197.

SS197 ammo is just as fun to shoot as SS192 so enjoy "breaking in" the gun.

SS192 is practically the same as the SS195LF. Only difference is that SS192 has a lead primer instead of the SS195LF lead free primer. Have you tried any SS195LF?

If you want to make some money, sell the SS192 and advertise that it was banned by the government so you can sell it at $100/box or more. :supergrin: Don't laugh, I have seen people advertise that and try to charge a ridiculous amount for the SS192. The sadder thing is that people actually believe that crap and buy it.

Ruggles
02-23-2012, 20:58
Sounds fishy.....mine needed no break in at all. I am not a big believer in any handgun needing a break in to to work. 500 round break in is utter crap IMO.

wk9k
02-23-2012, 21:58
I thought all expensive high end guns didnt need to be broken in and I thought that they are all supposed to work right out of the box....

Ruggles
02-23-2012, 22:09
I thought all expensive high end guns didnt need to be broken in and I thought that they are all supposed to work right out of the box....

All handguns should (regardless of cost) IMO. I can see a few mags maybe but more than that :dunno:

I put many rounds thru a Kimber once trying to "break it in"...never again...

wk9k
02-23-2012, 22:14
I dont like when some people rag on cheaper guns that dont work, for example, a thread I started about my Diamondback DB9 and it seemed like just about everyone acted like a total ****** but yet when someone starts a thread about an expensive FN pistol that doesnt work right, no one makes that much of a huge deal about it.

DrtyHarry
02-23-2012, 22:26
Five Seven is on my list, hopefully next month. I had a BLAST shooting it!!

Harry

Ruggles
02-23-2012, 22:32
I dont like when some people rag on cheaper guns that dont work, for example, a thread I started about my Diamondback DB9 and it seemed like just about everyone acted like a total ****** but yet when someone starts a thread about an expensive FN pistol that doesnt work right, no one makes that much of a huge deal about it.

People can be a wee bit "opinionated" on here about things. It is pretty easy to be a loud mouth opinionated fool from the safety of the anonymous keyboard position. :rofl:

I know that less expensive firearms can get brutalized here by some folks. About the only place you will not see it from my experience is on the 1911 sub forum. The $400 RIA and the $3000 Wilsons live pretty well along side each other there. :wavey: Now the Taurus 1911 gets it pretty rough in there.....

I would tell you the Five seveN hand gun (and it's big brother the PS90 as well as it's 5.7 round) has it fair share of haters on here. It gets ragged on plenty. It is a quality handgun but is over priced IMO. Not saying it is not worth it but is really is a victim of exchange rates I guess. :dunno:

NeverMore1701
02-23-2012, 22:49
I'd like one, but they're way too expensive for a plastic gun.

Novocaine
02-24-2012, 11:37
"well, duh, our parachutes require 500 jumps before they are broken in and start function reliably"

Don't hear much of that for some reason. Go figure.

Break in is a part of manufacturing process. Forcing a customer to do it at higher expense is B.S. Especially if we’re talking lifesaving equipment. How many defibrillator manufacturers would stay in business if their product would require break in after being shipped?

Make the pistol $100 more expensive and do it right instead of making a customer spend $250-300 just to see something is still wrong.

Narkcop
02-24-2012, 13:25
FNh just don't want to pay for return shipping AND they full well know that will deter having to REPAIR their guns. I have had good luck and believe their guns to be high quality but like everything once in a while something is out of whack from the factory and they A** around & avoid the problem. NO MORE FNh guns for me until they FIX customer service.

mtrboatinSOB
02-24-2012, 13:34
You can send it my way. I'll gladly 'break in' your 5.7.

grecco
02-24-2012, 13:48
Mine was 100% from round 1,
try cleaning and lube,
then hand cycle.