Trouble installing Magpul MOE+ grip [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trouble installing Magpul MOE+ grip

CourtCop
02-23-2012, 19:43
Help me before I throw this thing through the window.
The stock grip came off with no problem, but now I can't get the screw that came with the MOE+ grip to tighten down. I have also tried to reinstall the stock grip and now that screw won't tighten down. I hope I haven't stripped the threads on the rifle.

Fwdftw
02-23-2012, 19:51
Take a flashlight and look at the threads...how do they look ? This shouldn't be that hard

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CourtCop
02-23-2012, 20:02
I know it shouldn't be that hard, but the dam screw won't go in

CourtCop
02-23-2012, 20:13
Finally got it in. There was a really thick layer of thread lock on the screw that came with the MOE and it gunked up the rifle's threads. I melted it a little with a BBQ lighter and the screw went right in.

Fwdftw
02-23-2012, 20:26
yay lol

RatDrall
02-24-2012, 05:38
Finally got it in. There was a really thick layer of thread lock on the screw that came with the MOE and it gunked up the rifle's threads. I melted it a little with a BBQ lighter and the screw went right in.

That's the standard fix for the MOE screw.

faawrenchbndr
02-24-2012, 08:49
Very common issue,.........

Chowser
02-24-2012, 09:25
haha, i just had to do this myself, i kept wondering why won't this dang thing go in.

hey, what's this gunk???

craig19
02-24-2012, 21:03
I had the same problem with mine, I don't know why they use a slotted screwhead with that thread lock on it. The second one I did, I threw that screw in the trash and used a hex head screw I had.

bmoore
02-24-2012, 21:15
I had the same problem with mine, I don't know why they use a slotted screwhead with that thread lock on it. The second one I did, I threw that screw in the trash and used a hex head screw I had.

Just did that today with one. Ive built 4 lowers for guys at work and everyone wanted an MOE grip. All the screws were a pain in the butt to get in with that thread locker. They need to pull their heads out on that issue.

mvician
02-24-2012, 22:02
Sometimes it worries me that some people have so much trouble with something as simple as a screw. :dancingbanana:

Minnow
02-24-2012, 23:48
A flat head screw is used because it retains/allows clearance for the storage compartment inside the grip.
A quick way to get the screw to turn through the threadlocker compound is to use a pair of channel locks on the appropriate large size screw driver. Hold the screw driver with one hand and turn the channel locks with the other. It will make quick work of the install without breaking out the heating gun.

craig19
02-25-2012, 07:49
Just did that today with one. Ive built 4 lowers for guys at work and everyone wanted an MOE grip. All the screws were a pain in the butt to get in with that thread locker. They need to pull their heads out on that issue.

I agree, just don't add the thread lock, seems like everyone melts it off anyway.

bmoore
02-25-2012, 08:18
I agree, just don't add the thread lock, seems like everyone melts it off anyway.

I dont have a very big issue with the thread lock, its the amount. 3 out of the 4 I did had gobs of it on there, I took it off with acetone.

bmoore
02-25-2012, 08:19
Sometimes it worries me that some people have so much trouble with something as simple as a screw. :dancingbanana:

What worries me is people at a company selling a product dont know the proper amount of thread locker to apply to a simple screw.

surf
02-25-2012, 12:44
Every single MOE+ and other some other Magpul grips have had far too much thread locker applied to the screw.

Minnow
02-25-2012, 16:11
Yes, Magpul does seem to be threadlocker happy on some of their fasteners.

9x94
02-26-2012, 08:07
I wonder if they are growing too fast to keep up with quality control.
I am in the process of returning a dud MIAD grip.
The hole for the selector spring was drilled too deep and the selector just flopped around.
The fit and finish on the back & front straps was extremely tight.
The pin to hold in the backstrap was too long, leaving pin hanging out each side of the grip.
Oh yea, too much dried loctite on the screw also.

Cole125
02-26-2012, 12:35

There you go. Thats what I had to do with the screw that came with my MOE grip, they put way too much damn loctite on it.

Glockz0r
02-26-2012, 21:40
I was in the same boat with my MOE grip. Channel locks and a screw driver did the job.

I'm a work harder not smarter kind of guy. :supergrin:

country85
02-26-2012, 23:47
Okay not to sound dumb here but mine didn't come with any screw... nor do i see a spot for one, if it helps it's the carbine size.....

Jack Black
02-27-2012, 00:38
Okay not to sound dumb here but mine didn't come with any screw... nor do i see a spot for one, if it helps it's the carbine size.....

They're talking about a grip, not a handguard.

country85
02-27-2012, 04:30
and that's a good reason not to try to think at 3 am lol