Number of shots fired in civilian self defense [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Number of shots fired in civilian self defense

ws76133
02-23-2012, 19:10
For years, I carried a J frame .38 with one speed strip for a reload, and I never felt at a disadvantage. Now, I also have a G-36, S&W M&P 9C and a S&W BG-380, and my sidearm varies based on what I'm wearing and how deeply I must conceal.

In my last concealed handgun recertification course, the instructor said we should all carry a high capacity semi-auto with two spare magazines. I know a lot of semi-auto failures are caused by mag issues, but he was speaking in terms of what was needed in a gunfight.

From your experience, what is the average number of shots fired by a civilan in a self defence incident, and what's the most shots you've heard of that a civilian has had to fire?

Thanks.

Mas Ayoob
02-24-2012, 04:24
There's no empirical data base for shots fired in civilian shootings. It's no surprise if it goes into the double digits. In high stress situations, the guns empty quickly. From Richmond, VA to Los Angeles, CA there are documented shootings where the shopkeeper(s) have emptied multiple guns before they had finally surpressed homicidal armed robbers.

I would definitely recommend at least one gunload of spare ammunition. Personally, I'll generally carry one spare mag with a double stack pistol, and two with a single stack. YMMV.

I can't say that the instructor you quote is going overboard recommending a high cap pistol with two spare mags. That's quite probably what local LE carries. "If the police determined that's what an individual officer needs to protect us from the criminals in this community, it seemed logical that it was what I needed to protect myself from the same criminals in the same community" would be a viable argument.

We each need to make our own threat assessment, take into account what we can accommodate in terms of our own wardrobe and lifestyle, and select our equipment accordingly.

best,
Mas