inconsistent sight dominance [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : inconsistent sight dominance

silentlope
02-23-2012, 22:53
Mas,
I have been reading the threads on sight dominance and two eyes open shooting. Until recently I have have been shooting one eye open. I am somewhat ambidextrous and with any new activity I have to determine what is going to be my dominant hand,foot... whatever. Mostly later in life this is left side dominant although some fine motor skills are still stronger right handed. But when it comes to sight I notice that if I do not close an eye I could focus with either eye then possibly switch by the turn of the head or body. It makes holding target difficult. I find that by closing one eye and establishing the dominant side I can then open the other eye. I am definitely more comfortable shooting left handed two hand hold; but when practicing single hand shooting I was at first much more accurate and comfortable right handed. Dominance/handedness is important for establishing high degrees of competency and mussel memory(my experience). I know you teach many classes; have you run into sight dominance issues before? And if so what compensating practices do you recommend?

Mas Ayoob
02-24-2012, 04:29
It's an issue we deal with regularly. In fact, yesterday was day one of a class where I am, and it was an issue for several of the students, squared away for all by end of day.

I'd suggest picking which hand and eye you want to work with consistently...it'll obviously be a little easier if the given hand and eye are on the same side...and then work for a while with the technique described here: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402676

Give it some trigger time, and c'mon back and let us all know how it worked for you.

best,
Mas