$600 DPMS Sportical coming my way [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : $600 DPMS Sportical coming my way

mingaa
02-24-2012, 00:37
1 x DPMS Panther Sportical .223 6 Pos. Stock
Shipping to Missouri:
1 Gun (Insured - (full refund/replace for items lost/damaged in shipping)):$6.00Total: $606.00

Your order has been updated to the following status.
New status: Shipping

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/v/vspfiles/photos/GUN-DPRFLPWCP-2.gif

Saw it for $600 and jumped. Next day it was VIP offer only. Yesterday it was gone from the sight. Buds had 15 of them - boom, gone. Happy to have one! :cool:

cyphertext
02-24-2012, 00:54
Wow, those are true slick sides...no shell deflector. I like the look. Let us know how it runs.

RMTactical
02-24-2012, 01:06
Your first AR15?

mingaa
02-24-2012, 01:22
Yeah - my first AR. (may be in the market for a sling soon =0)) I want a 3 gun rifle and don't think my AK is the right fit - good for SHTF so the AR will probably stay a range gun - curious what bullet the 9 twist will actually shoot well. Watched base prices rise and supplies stay tight for quite a while. I considered saving for a Colt or a 308 but wanted to get in the game and like what I hear / read about S&W (try and get one at a fair price!) and DPMS. I'll start simple with sights - I can switch a few red dots around and have a decent one with a screw in 2x. A 1" riser, see through rail may give me the option of iron sights and the 2X red dot - it works on paper - let's see how well I've thought that through. Should be shooting in a few days!

G30Mike
02-24-2012, 01:43
I liked my Sportical for the first 650-700 rounds...my buddy wasnt lucky enough to make it past 200 rounds before his was doing the same exact thing as mine. Failing to extract which led to double feeds about every 7-10 rounds. DPOS is garbage. Head on over to M4Carbine forums and see their reputation for yourself.

I wish I would have done my research before I bought that thing. I ended up trading it back to my LGS at a loss, for a Colt 6720 that I should have just spent the money on in the first place. Hope you have better luck with yours than my buddy and I did......

Fwdftw
02-24-2012, 01:57
Wouldnt be my choice for 3 gun

mingaa
02-24-2012, 01:57
I liked my Sportical for the first 650-700 rounds...my buddy wasnt lucky enough to make it past 200 rounds before his was doing the same exact thing as mine. Failing to extract which led to double feeds about every 7-10 rounds. DPOS is garbage. Head on over to M4Carbine forums and see their reputation for yourself.

I wish I would have done my research before I bought that thing. I ended up trading it back to my LGS at a loss, for a Colt 6720 that I should have just spent the money on in the first place. Hope you have better luck with yours than my buddy and I did......

Thanks for relating your personal experience. I'll have 500 rounds through it in a heartbeat and if there is a problem I will address it through warranty or returns. Buds is supportive and DPMS personnel answered my questions to my satisfaction. I am not buying blind but if I end up with crap I'll be sure to post my experiences as well. There are a lot of people looking to shoot Ars on a basic, non combat level. I hope to contribute to that knowledge base. :cool:

45 Cal
02-24-2012, 09:04
I've got a DPMS as well and love it. The problem with forums, is that you don't hear enough about the good experiences and hear an over emphasized version of the bad. Every manufacturer will have problematic products...even Colt. My DPMS has run flawlessly.

mingaa
02-24-2012, 10:04
Wouldnt be my choice for 3 gun 308 WOULD be mine but I decided to give this a try for the price. Tell me more.:cool:

mingaa
02-24-2012, 10:07
I've got a DPMS as well and love it. The problem with forums, is that you don't hear enough about the good experiences and hear an over emphasized version of the bad. Every manufacturer will have problematic products...even Colt. My DPMS has run flawlessly.

Yes - I don't drop $600 on a whim. I did a lot of homework and most indications, for my intended use, this can be a very good (and reliable) match. There is plenty of discussion and opinions. I god to some good hard info and am protected by a reasonable (not as good as S&W) warranty.:whistling:

itstime
02-24-2012, 10:08
COngrats. Let us know how she shoots.

jem375
02-24-2012, 10:13
Very nice, I just picked up a Nato Oracle myself, and put an EO Tech on it and it is very accurate..

svtpwnz
02-24-2012, 10:53
I had a DPMS Panther Sporticle and didn't have any problems with it. I put about 500 rounds through it, sold it and bought a Daniel Defense.

Ruggles
02-24-2012, 11:36
Congrats!

h2oman1975
02-25-2012, 04:28
congrats on it. im going to pick up a dpms tomorrow from my lgs. they called and got some in friday and held me one. great price for what i want it for.

Frog1
02-25-2012, 23:02
So if it stops extracting, replace the extractor spring with a BCM kit. That's a big $5.00 expense to fix a $600.00 gun that will shoot MOA at 100 yds. Don't let all the bull-???? get in your way. I know a guy that has used one of these in 3 gun for 5 years. It has performed wonderfully.

h2oman1975
02-26-2012, 13:16
picked up my oracle yestaerday and it seems to be a nice gun. like i said its a great price for a gun me and my sone is going to just play with. going to put some sights on it and enjoy it.

9x94
02-26-2012, 16:19
No sights at all? By the time you buy some sights you would have been better off with a decent rifle.
I'm not one of these guys that thinks everyone needs a $2,500 carbine, but geez that thing doesn't look so good.

h2oman1975
02-26-2012, 19:40
No sights at all? By the time you buy some sights you would have been better off with a decent rifle.
I'm not one of these guys that thinks everyone needs a $2,500 carbine, but geez that thing doesn't look so good.

how do you see that iron site about 100 bucks and i have a total 590 in it. so what decent rifle could i get for that price.

WoodenPlank
02-26-2012, 19:47
how do you see that iron site about 100 bucks and i have a total 590 in it. so what decent rifle could i get for that price.

Could get a PSA for about $600, last I looked, with a standard A-frame front and MBUS rear. PSA may not be as good as Colt or BCM (that's up for debate), but it's going to be better overall quality than a DPMS, and with proper sights to boot.

9x94
02-26-2012, 19:57
Well the sightless dpms is 600, plus 100 for some kind of iron sights and you are at $700 for the most stripped down rifle from one of the least respected AR manufacturers.
I think I'd go another route- you could get a PSA or save another $200 bucks and get a better quality rifle. Colt or BCM? Something with a brass deflector and dust cover at least.

h2oman1975
02-26-2012, 20:44
Well the sightless dpms is 600, plus 100 for some kind of iron sights and you are at $700 for the most stripped down rifle from one of the least respected AR manufacturers.
I think I'd go another route- you could get a PSA or save another $200 bucks and get a better quality rifle. Colt or BCM? Something with a brass deflector and dust cover at least.

first i only paid 490 for it. just because you pay full price for everything doesnt mean everyone else does.thats why i said i have only 590 in the gun, and for the dust cover it comes with one on it. the sports is the one that does not have it. and i believe one of the s&w dosen't come with a dust cover.

9x94
02-26-2012, 21:33
Sorry, I thought you were the OP who said he bought it for $600.

mingaa
02-26-2012, 21:56

That would be me. I'll be playing musical chairs with sights that I have. First try will be the SPARC red dot with a screw in 2x. I will add irons sooner or later and hope to mount co-witness with a 1" riser that I have. Works on paper - we'll see. When I shoot 3 gun I'll have to drop my red dot off my shotgun and will probably make a small investment in better fixed sights there. Point: There are a lot of options out there. I try and make informed decitions within my budget, have fun, be safe and pass along anything relevant as I go.

I may put together a gun build eventually but my time is worth a good bit AND I'm a noob with ARs. I'll need to learn good from bad and what I like before doing that. Also the caliber does not interest me that much. This will be a range rifle and a 3 gun entry level gun for me. I suspect IF I build something it may be a 308. I'll get started and see what the future holds and stay on forums and chat up competitors etc.

h2oman1975
02-26-2012, 21:59

ok, if i didnt get the ar for as cheap as i did i would have got a higher end ar. but for what im going to use it for and my son to have fun shooting it, it will be fine.

cooden
02-26-2012, 22:26
You could have built a better AR with sights for $700. Let us know how the brass feels when it slaps your face, you'll be missing that deflector in no time.

trigger45
02-27-2012, 04:23
I got my sportical for $550. 700rnds later I wanted an upgrade.so I got the tac 16 model upper and sold the sportical. It had no problems at all. I just wasn't willing to part with $700 plus at one time. Neither upper had any problems at all. DPMS is cool with me.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

mingaa
02-27-2012, 07:47
You could have built a better AR with sights for $700. Let us know how the brass feels when it slaps your face, you'll be missing that deflector in no time.
Did you read the part where I mentioned that I'm new to ARs, still wondering about the caliber, don't feel qualified to build a gun until I know more about them AND I value my time. Even 3-5 hours (noob time ) with no mistakes puts me into a way higher budget at a professional wage.

I'll be sure to post pics of my mangled face ripped apart by flaming hot brass. =^)

Boogiefan
02-27-2012, 07:57
My friends DPMS shoots flawlessly. It eats cheap wolf ammo as fast as he can pull the trigger. It's not the oracle though, it's one step up.

cooden
02-27-2012, 11:55
Did you read the part where I mentioned that I'm new to ARs, still wondering about the caliber, don't feel qualified to build a gun until I know more about them AND I value my time. Even 3-5 hours (noob time ) with no mistakes puts me into a way higher budget at a professional wage.

I'll be sure to post pics of my mangled face ripped apart by flaming hot brass. =^)

Yes I did read all of your posts. They still make no sense to me, sorry.

1. What do you mean by "still wondering about the caliber"? You don't think it is good enough for 3-gun? Do you know about the .223/5.56 caliber?
2. You value your time but you buy one of the worst rifles out? So that means you have enough time to tell everyone on GT what you bought but not enough time to research a quality AR at the $700-$800 price range that will actually hold resale value after you are done wondering about the caliber?
3. You could have bought a S&W M&P for a couple of hundred more, better rifle, better quality.
4. You mention building a .308. Do you reload ammo? Do you realize that .308 ammo is about 2x more expensive (if not more than that) than .223/5.56.

Not to burst your bubble, but you bought the Yugo of AR's. Honestly, you should have done some more research on what you were buying. :whistling:

9x94
02-27-2012, 12:44
Not to burst your bubble, but you bought the Yugo of AR's. Honestly, you should have done some more research on what you were buying. :whistling:

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/autopia/2010/04/yugo_gv2.jpg

jimbob.M27
02-27-2012, 15:46
Congrats on the AR. I just ordered a Dpms upper for $600.
Check out the sticky's here. Good info for beginners
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/7_Maintenance_andamp__Cleaning.html

humanguerrilla
02-27-2012, 18:28
So if it stops extracting, replace the extractor spring with a BCM kit. That's a big $5.00 expense to fix a $600.00 gun that will shoot MOA at 100 yds. Don't let all the bull-???? get in your way. I know a guy that has used one of these in 3 gun for 5 years. It has performed wonderfully.

+1 Not usually some huge mechanical defect. Recommendation of an O or D extractor spring ring is first on the list for AR noobs.

mingaa
02-27-2012, 21:46
Thanks Jimbob. I'll check in once I've done some shooting.

trigger45
02-28-2012, 03:48

Don't worry about what these guys say. Everybody has to start. Somewhere if you have money to burn. Cool go for it . the sporticals reciever is so thick it doesn't need a deflector it never hit me. Ate wolf like any thing else. With some people if you don't have what they have or agree with them your wrong.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

wdphillips
02-28-2012, 06:49
Wow, a lot of e-bombs!:wow:

Enjoy your new AR. I am sure it will be enjoyable.

jbotstein1
02-28-2012, 07:10
I love both my DPMS's and have for about 5 or 6 years and 1000s of rounds. It's funny to me how worked up people get about someone buying a gun. I think these are the people who would prefer for everyone to buy the same thing they have so they feel better about their own purchase. Enjoy your new rifle. I'm sure it will do everything you ask of it.

ETA: And be careful. I'm about to start an SBR build in .300AAC. This stuff gets addicting.

TangoFoxtrot
02-28-2012, 07:42
Yeah I think I'll be doing a .300 blackout build as well.

h2oman1975
02-28-2012, 09:37
the 300 blackout is a nice round. i seen alot of great reviews on this and i would like to have one doen the round.

jamesbern
02-28-2012, 10:26
Congrats on the AR. I just ordered a Dpms upper for $600.
Check out the sticky's here. Good info for beginners
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/7_Maintenance_andamp__Cleaning.html

Just want to confirm, you paid $600 for just a DPMS upper?

OP- Enjoy the rifle. I don't like it at all, but that's me. I'd rather spend another hundred or so and get something higher quality with sights that would retain its value if I sold it. The fact that it doesn't have sights on it and was $600 is a big turn off. Magpul MBUS sights will run $100 for front and rear. For some really nice sights (that you can move to another AR when you upgrade) check out Troy Battlesights. Extremely high quality and they are tested and loved by many.

For a cheaper red dot check out a Bushnell TRS-25 or a Primary Arms Micro. Both on a tall mount should 1/3 co witness with the irons.

Also, be aware that if the barrel states .223 you can NOT fire 5.56 out of it.

Are you right or left handed? Shooting that lefty is going to suck as the brass is going straight back towards you most likely. Right handed and you should be OK.

For ammo stick with 55gr. It should be fine out of the 1/9 barrel. Check for proper staking on the gas key and stock nut.

jem375
02-28-2012, 10:57
Yes I did read all of your posts. They still make no sense to me, sorry.

1. What do you mean by "still wondering about the caliber"? You don't think it is good enough for 3-gun? Do you know about the .223/5.56 caliber?
2. You value your time but you buy one of the worst rifles out? So that means you have enough time to tell everyone on GT what you bought but not enough time to research a quality AR at the $700-$800 price range that will actually hold resale value after you are done wondering about the caliber?
3. You could have bought a S&W M&P for a couple of hundred more, better rifle, better quality.
4. You mention building a .308. Do you reload ammo? Do you realize that .308 ammo is about 2x more expensive (if not more than that) than .223/5.56.

Why don't you realize that he has already bought the rifle and really doesn't need your comments on what he should have bought. Nothing wrong with DPMS, we have 4 in the family and all they do is shoot and shoot accurately...

jimbob.M27
02-28-2012, 12:25
[QUOTE=jamesbern;18642564]Just want to confirm, you paid $600 for just a DPMS upper?[/QUOTE
Yep just the upper.

h2oman1975
02-28-2012, 19:59
Just want to confirm, you paid $600 for just a DPMS upper?

OP- Enjoy the rifle. I don't like it at all, but that's me. I'd rather spend another hundred or so and get something higher quality with sights that would retain its value if I sold it. The fact that it doesn't have sights on it and was $600 is a big turn off. Magpul MBUS sights will run $100 for front and rear. For some really nice sights (that you can move to another AR when you upgrade) check out Troy Battlesights. Extremely high quality and they are tested and loved by many.

For a cheaper red dot check out a Bushnell TRS-25 or a Primary Arms Micro. Both on a tall mount should 1/3 co witness with the irons.

Also, be aware that if the barrel states .223 you can NOT fire 5.56 out of it.

Are you right or left handed? Shooting that lefty is going to suck as the brass is going straight back towards you most likely. Right handed and you should be OK.

For ammo stick with 55gr. It should be fine out of the 1/9 barrel. Check for proper staking on the gas key and stock nut.

[QUOTE=jamesbern;18642564]Just want to confirm, you paid $600 for just a DPMS upper?[/QUOTE
Yep just the upper.

in his first post he said he paid 600 for the ar, not a upper.

Detectorist
02-28-2012, 20:21
Enjoy your purchase. There will always be individuals who think they know what's best for you.

The problem is, it's your money, not theirs.

I had a DPMS. Shot 1,000 rounds flawlessly.

GlockJohn
02-28-2012, 21:25
geez, stop busitng the guys balls. if he's happy with his purchase then leave him be.

jamesbern
02-28-2012, 21:34
[quote=jimbob.M27;18643067]

in his first post he said he paid 600 for the ar, not a upper.

Different person buddy :tongueout:

h2oman1975
02-28-2012, 22:04
[quote=h2oman1975;18645119]

Different person buddy :tongueout:
didnt see where the other person seen that. sorry :faint:

WoodenPlank
02-28-2012, 22:05
If someone paid $600 for a DPMS upper, and it didn't have some serious goodies on it (ie: quality optic and/or quality rail), then they got snookered.

mingaa
02-28-2012, 22:12
The gun should be here Friday and I have a number of red dots I can mount, bore sight in and go shooting. I will probably buy iron sights and have a 1" riser see- through rail that should allow co- witness. I'll probably put my SPARC on it to start as it has a 2x screw in adapter. I haven't used it much on the AK it's on and want to see what shooting past 100 yds. is like with the Sportical.

WoodenPlank
02-28-2012, 22:14
The gun should be here Friday and I have a number of red dots to mount, bore sight in and go shooting. I will probably buy iron sights and have a 1" riser see- through rail that should allow co- witness. I'll probably put my SPARC on it to start as it has a 2x screw in adapter. I haven't used it much on the AK it's on and want to see what shooting past 100 yds. is like with the Sportical.

Assuming a 2-4MOA dot size, you can still hold combat-accuracy groups at 100 yards without the magnifier. If you're not, then its likely one of three things - crappy ammo, REALLY crappy gun, or a loose nut behind the trigger.

mingaa
02-28-2012, 22:36
I can get to 100 with my AK and SKS with a 1x. I'm curious how well and far I can shoot with 54 yr old eyes (and no major scope, want to keep close fire easy) - the 2x add on is well made. Yeah, I'll max out the 1x function first then see if the 2x helps out with the longer flatter 223 /5.56. Looking forward to it. Been stocking a variety of ammo to see how that goes as well. Will do a range report FWIW.

jamesbern
02-29-2012, 10:45
.... I'll start simple with sights - I can switch a few red dots around and have a decent one with a screw in 2x. A 1" riser, see through rail may give me the option of iron sights and the 2X red dot - it works on paper - let's see how well I've thought that through. Should be shooting in a few days!

That would be me. I'll be playing musical chairs with sights that I have. First try will be the SPARC red dot with a screw in 2x. I will add irons sooner or later and hope to mount co-witness with a 1" riser that I have. Works on paper - we'll see.

....I will probably buy iron sights and have a 1" riser see- through rail that should allow co- witness. I'll probably put my SPARC on it to start as it has a 2x screw in adapter. I haven't used it much on the AK it's on and want to see what shooting past 100 yds. is like with the Sportical.

Why have you said the same thing three different times in three different posts. :rofl:

As to the guy with the DMPS upper for $600. Unfortunately you got taken. I could get a BCM 16" mid length upper, Magpul handguards, Magpul MBUS rear sight, BCM standard charging handle, and BCG for right around $640.

cooden
02-29-2012, 11:46
Why have you said the same thing three different times in three different posts. :rofl:

As to the guy with the DMPS upper for $600. Unfortuneately you got taken. I could get a BCM 16" mid length upper, Magpul handguards, Magpul MBUS rear sight, BCM standard charging handle, and BCG for right around $640.

Why would he of wanted a good deal on an AR? He bought a junker and we should all pat him on the back. He's not even sure if this caliber will work on punching holes in paper. :upeyes:

jimbob.M27
02-29-2012, 14:29
As to the guy with the DMPS upper for $600. Unfortunately you got taken. I could get a BCM 16" mid length upper, Magpul handguards, Magpul MBUS rear sight, BCM standard charging handle, and BCG for right around $640.
BCM don't make a 6.8 upper. This guns only purpose is going to be for Deer hunting. Deer don't shoot back and I don't think I'm going shoot 500 Deer in one day. So I don't need it to be a war ready gun. DPMS should be just fine.

jamesbern
02-29-2012, 14:52
Hey man, to each is own. No biggie. I didn't realize it was a 6.8. I thought it was a .223 so that makes a bit more sense now.

jem375
02-29-2012, 15:01
Why would he of wanted a good deal on an AR? He bought a junker and we should all pat him on the back. He's not even sure if this caliber will work on punching holes in paper. :upeyes:

I can see that you are an expert with the arsenal that you have...:rofl:

mingaa
02-29-2012, 21:57
Jamesbern "Why have you said the same thing three different times in three different posts." (???) Is that a question or just beratement? I'm an AK noob but no fool. The snipers keep lining up with very strong 'input' but little in the way of constructive dialogue. I must have a solid plan for my sights or I suppose that I would have heard about it by now. Now toddle off and see if you can find someone that has made four similar comments with no response. That should make your day! Oh did I say that out loud? Oh did I just stoop Glock Talk bait biting!? Oops. I'm off.

jamesbern
02-29-2012, 22:09
I just don't understand why you said it over and over again. Were you looking for some help or just wanted to state what you were using?

I think it is important to practice with irons first, before using a scope or red dot. I still need to do the same with mine. At least sight the rifle in with irons then sight in the optic. For cheaper, but good quality, try a set of Magpul MBUS sights front and rear. They will run around $100 for the set.

One piece of advice: if you are staying in the AR game, don't sell parts from the old rifle that you can use on a new rifle (sights, optic, grips, etc). I've made that mistake before.

mingaa
02-29-2012, 22:24
Thanks for the cool response to my snarky comments. Truth is I'll slap an on-hand red dot to shoot ASAP (day #1 have a bore sight) to check out the gun AND for the fun factor and ammo check. I was hoping that by posting my plan (riser-co+witness) that I would get feedback about the plan. I'm guessing that ( from what I've read) that I may be on the right track. $$ for irons is in hand but will probably buy on the net ASAP. Have a good. =^)

Hummerbike
03-01-2012, 03:16
Local Walmart has the DPMS for $587.00.

mingaa
03-01-2012, 22:32
Grab one. It's a good price. ARs are on the rise. Check a s&w sport. Used to be in the same price range. I paid $600, $6 insurance, free shipping and when I pick it up tomorrow $15 to the FFL shop. Add tax and we're probably about the same $$. Wal Mart in my area carry pretty tame stock. Never seen an AR in one ever.

cyphertext
03-02-2012, 07:30
Wal Mart in my area carry pretty tame stock. Never seen an AR in one ever.

If your Walmart carries guns, did you know that they have a large catalog that they can special order for you from? You have to go to the store and ask for the catalog. Much greater selection than what is in stock.

Javelin
03-02-2012, 12:01
Local Walmart has the DPMS for $587.00.

Awesome!

You should go buy 3 of them.

:wavey:

:whistling:

cooden
03-02-2012, 18:36
I can see that you are an expert with the arsenal that you have...:rofl:

My arsenal?

I arguably have 1 of the best monolithic billet AR's on the market with all the top tier parts on it. I also have one of the top semi auto shotguns on the market with some custom work done. And I have 2 G19's. I learned that more guns doesn't mean more knowledge. I sold a lot of my pistols/rifles/shotguns and kept what I use mostly.

mingaa
03-02-2012, 20:06
If your Walmart carries guns, did you know that they have a large catalog that they can special order for you from? You have to go to the store and ask for the catalog. Much greater selection than what is in stock.

Interesting. I'll add them to the mix in the future. THX!

Hummerbike
03-03-2012, 22:56
Awesome!

You should go buy 3 of them.

:wavey:

I bought a CVA stainless 50 cal. muzzleloader marked down to $120. I might go back and put one on layaway when the wife isn't with me.

mingaa
03-06-2012, 20:47
Got it Friday long story, only checked it out and cleaned / oiled it, but got to a 50 yd indoor range tonight. I bore sighted it at 50' in the house and made a couple of adjustments on the fly. I'm not worried about shooting high. I'll wait for 100 yds + for that. The range has an HVAC that causes targets to swing at the far end - you can crease targets to slow it down a bit but as it was a shake-down session I decided to have some fun. The Vortex SPARC red dot that was on my SKS worked like a charm. I'm still a touch left but had to stop after 4 mags. Stock military ran great as did 2 new Pmags and I like the dust covers. Here's some iPhone shots. It's not gun pron but WTF. I didn't measure the groups but - you get the idea. Federal and Remington shot the same (very well) in 223 - all 55gr. so far. The range where I shot has a ban on Herters and Tula (shot thousands in the SKS and WASR) and I wanted to see how it handled cheap steel - next time at an outdoor range I'll know. Anyhow Big smiles, first AK, tight groups, a good sight, mags that feed and fall, a trigger that I never gave a thought to - here's the DPMS Sportical and 3 groups. Some were a bit wider BUT not one fly away shot every one MoNey!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7203/6960593941_8481b2b756_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7041/6814480380_0c05d35c26.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7186/6814480612_ca70d31150.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7189/6814480780_00e75b6148.jpg

country85
03-06-2012, 22:21
Did you break in the barrel? I.E fire one shot then clean, fire another then clean for ten rounds, then clean every ten rounds then every 25, working your way up to cleaning every hundred rounds for 200 rounds? It takes forever and is a pain but it works. I shot a guy's who couldn't get his sighted in at my local 25 yard range, the pencil barrels heat up quickly and can really throw off your groups, on a three shot group on a barely warm barrel i've seen these guns do .75 groups @ 25 yards... clean it and break it in and i think you will have better luck, also you should about one MOA or a lil more (1.25 inch) low to be on at around 150 yards, hope this helps, also were you on a rest or shooting off hand?

bmoore
03-06-2012, 22:47
Did you break in the barrel? I.E fire one shot then clean, fire another then clean for ten rounds, then clean every ten rounds then every 25, working your way up to cleaning every hundred rounds for 200 rounds? It takes forever and is a pain but it works. I shot a guy's who couldn't get his sighted in at my local 25 yard range, the pencil barrels heat up quickly and can really throw off your groups, on a three shot group on a barely warm barrel i've seen these guns do .75 groups @ 25 yards... clean it and break it in and i think you will have better luck, also you should about one MOA or a lil more (1.25 inch) low to be on at around 150 yards, hope this helps, also were you on a rest or shooting off hand?

My other favorite myth, the clean every other round thing to break in a rifle barrel. This one is a close second behind gas tube cleaning.

OP congrats on your rifle, the SPARC seems to be a nice optic.

mingaa
03-06-2012, 23:35
I shot 4 mags and cleaned. There is nothing in DPMS lit about the maintenance / break in ritual. I spoke with tech on another issue and they said shoot and clean as usual. The barrel was hot but not alarmingly hot. The SPARC is really impressive for a sub $200 red dot. This was a shake down test shoot so I could feel good about sending the warranty in. I had a ball anticipating the swing of the target at 50 yds. Those groups made me smile under those conditions. I shot off hand and with mag resting on the bench. Off hand was a bit more spread but not much. I can't tell which is which and chucked the targets. More to follow. I'm jazzed.

G30Mike
03-07-2012, 00:07
My other favorite myth, the clean every other round thing to break in a rifle barrel. This one is a close second behind gas tube cleaning.

OP congrats on your rifle, the SPARC seems to be a nice optic.

Same here....

Just lube it and shoot it...no break in required.

UniversalBrow06
03-07-2012, 00:40
WTH is with this thread? Who told this guy to go with Defense Procurement Manufacturing Services?

Javelin
03-07-2012, 01:03
WTH is with this thread? Who told this guy to go with Defense Procurement Manufacturing Services?

Probably an ad in the NRA magazine.

:dunno:

G30Mike
03-07-2012, 01:11

The same people who say, "They're all the same, all you're paying for is a name".

WoodenPlank
03-07-2012, 05:43
Did you break in the barrel? I.E fire one shot then clean, fire another then clean for ten rounds, then clean every ten rounds then every 25, working your way up to cleaning every hundred rounds for 200 rounds? It takes forever and is a pain but it works.

I really hope you were trying to be funny...

Pretty much. Even funnier when people talk about doing it to chrome lined barrels. :upeyes:

Same here....

Just lube it and shoot it...no break in required.

Exactly.

country85
03-07-2012, 09:03
I know there are people older and wiser than me out there who think that breaking in a barrel is pointless but it's something an old timer who built custom bolt actions always said to do and I always have, It may or may not work but I swear I can tell a diffrence

jem375
03-07-2012, 09:17
Forget some of these posts and enjoy your new rifle, always some people who like to criticize what someone else buys..

MD357
03-07-2012, 09:18
The same people who say, "They're all the same, all you're paying for is a name".

I think it's more like a lot of people here say that their lower tier purchases are just fine for their respective needs. Then usually the hardest beyond hard internet operators jump in and bash them because "WHY DIDN'T THEY BUY A COLT??!!"

Kinda like what you see here with all the snide remarks. It's the guy's first AR and he looking for a 3 gun platform. I get that he'd be well served with something else but I've seen several shooters graduate to higher grades within their respective platform as they competed more and/or took more classes. They just had to learn what THEY wanted along the way. Nothing wrong with this.

WoodenPlank
03-07-2012, 14:45
I know there are people older and wiser than me out there who think that breaking in a barrel is pointless but it's something an old timer who built custom bolt actions always said to do and I always have, It may or may not work but I swear I can tell a diffrence

The only difference it makes is knocking out any burrs left in the threat after reaming - something just shooting the crap out of it will do just as fast. Gale McMillan himself said that barrel break-in was bunk (http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html), and you were wasting time, energy, and barrel life doing it.

bmoore
03-07-2012, 15:50
The only difference it makes is knocking out any burrs left in the threat after reaming - something just shooting the crap out of it will do just as fast. Gale McMillan himself said that barrel break-in was bunk (http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html), and you were wasting time, energy, and barrel life doing it.

Thats the article I read.

HAIL CAESAR
03-07-2012, 18:46
Oh, good grief.

Congrats OP. I hope you enjoy your new purchase.

mingaa
03-07-2012, 21:42
Kinda like what you see here with all the snide remarks. It's the guy's first AR and he looking for a 3 gun platform. I get that he'd be well served with something else but I've seen several shooters graduate to higher grades within their respective platform as they competed more and/or took more classes. They just had to learn what THEY wanted along the way. Nothing wrong with this.

Thanks M8! I like IDPA and think that I'll like 3 gun. I've got the other guns and more. G22 and Mossberg 930 24" plus the DPMS is my start up kit That said I may not take to 3 gun or stick with ARs either. Shooting last night was a lot of fun and
Yes i may build on the platform that I have. I've been involved in a lot of competitive events. Mountain bike, off road motorcycle and SCCA events. A lesson I've learned is buy good basic equipment and make changes when you know what you want to change and WHY. Soon enough I may add accessories to this platform or build or step up to 308. I may keep this gun as-is and buy another fullplatform. time will tell. Maybe the best starting place is with a Colt. I read a lot shot shot what i could and sniped prices as I saved. AR prices were (are) headed north. Flame on but for $600 I think I did allright. I was lookin at S&W as my first entry choice. They now sell at a premium. Close to colt bucks. I've got 1 range session in and it was all systems go. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing. I'll post up when I get some more experience and 500+ rounds of varied rounds through the gun. IDPA Saturday. 3 gun ASAP.

DubfromGA
03-08-2012, 22:21
Good luck, OP.

Hope it works out well for you.

WoodenPlank
03-08-2012, 22:28
Good luck, OP.

Hope it works out well for you.

Agreed.

TangoFoxtrot
03-09-2012, 05:01
Mingaa, Congrats!! Enjoy your new rifle!

SCSU74
03-10-2012, 10:47
I think it's more like a lot of people here say that their lower tier purchases are just fine for their respective needs. Then usually the hardest beyond hard internet operators jump in and bash them because "WHY DIDN'T THEY BUY A COLT??!!"

truth be told the only reason i got a Colt is the fact that it was a good price at the place i buy my guns and was one of the 3 approved rifles for our Dept. (Colt, Rock River, and Noveske). For the OP's intended use i really dont see a problem with DPMS or any other gun he feels comfortable purchasing. To occasionally shoot at the range and some 3 gun matches. I would use it until it stops working to be honest. Its a cheap entry AR and will give an idea of what you may want in a future rifle, or it may turn out that it works exactly for what he is using it for. Never understood bashing others on brand choice if you dont have to use their gun. He was obviously very excited about the purchase and a bunch of people jumped on right away saying how terrible it is. If you dont like DPMS dont buy them...

h2oman1975
03-10-2012, 11:53
truth be told the only reason i got a Colt is the fact that it was a good price at the place i buy my guns and was one of the 3 approved rifles for our Dept. (Colt, Rock River, and Noveske). For the OP's intended use i really dont see a problem with DPMS or any other gun he feels comfortable purchasing. To occasionally shoot at the range and some 3 gun matches. I would use it until it stops working to be honest. Its a cheap entry AR and will give an idea of what you may want in a future rifle, or it may turn out that it works exactly for what he is using it for. Never understood bashing others on brand choice if you dont have to use their gun. He was obviously very excited about the purchase and a bunch of people jumped on right away saying how terrible it is. If you dont like DPMS dont buy them...

AMEN! im like you why do people get so mad and upset about what other people buy.

G30Mike
03-10-2012, 14:31
AMEN! im like you why do people get so mad and upset about what other people buy.

I don't think people get mad at what other people buy, its the fact that when we tell those people that their BM, DPMS, or Olympic is junk, they get mad. As I said before, I've had junk AR's before, and after I did some research, I bought a proven rifle. I wasted money on garbage because I guess I was too lazy to do my research, and/or was dumb enough to listen to the guy at my LGS when he said that the lower tier brands were "the same thing".

I say buy what you want, use it for what you want, and be happy with what you got. If a lower tier rifle works for your intended purpose, great, even better. Just don't get mad when ypu realize you wasted your money on trash and for not really much more you could have had a rifle that would stand up to whatever you can throw at it. :D

h2oman1975
03-10-2012, 15:19
I don't think people get mad at what other people buy, its the fact that when we tell those people that their BM, DPMS, or Olympic is junk, they get mad. As I said before, I've had junk AR's before, and after I did some research, I bought a proven rifle. I wasted money on garbage because I guess I was too lazy to do my research, and/or was dumb enough to listen to the guy at my LGS when he said that the lower tier brands were "the same thing".

I say buy what you want, use it for what you want, and be happy with what you got. If a lower tier rifle works for your intended purpose, great, even better. Just don't get mad when ypu realize you wasted your money on trash and for not really much more you could have had a rifle that would stand up to whatever you can throw at it. :D

people do talk trash about what other people buy and do get mad. if i ask for some info i take that into what i buy. especially when it comes from people thats been into that gun for sometime. there just as many people that like so call junk guns as they are that dont like them. just because it doesn't work for some doesn't mean it won't for others. and im like you buy what you want and have fun with it.

deputygene
04-28-2012, 19:21

I have had a sportical for 2 years. Throws the brass about 5 feet to the right. Never been hit with brass, throws it strait to the right. 1200 rounds through mine. Not a problem. I do not miss the deflector. Don't miss the forward assist either. They tell us at my agency, if the round won't seat, don't try to force it home with the forward assist.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/deputygene/HPIM0680.jpg
At 50, my eyes don't focus that well with Iron Sights. Plenty of good scopes out there.

deputygene
04-28-2012, 19:40
Also, Just tried my first 3 gun match. Rifle I used was this one, DPMS Oracle. This scope is a 1x4, the sportical has a 1.5x6. Wanted the 1 power IR reticle for close up targets. It did fine.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/deputygene/My%20guns/DSCN0388.jpg

Shotgun is CZ 712.
Don't worry about DPMS quality. The sporticals often shoot an inch at 100, good enough for me. When I buy a .308 AR, it will also be DPMS.
The 3 gun match was fun, lots of shooting. As said, the DPMS ran fine.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/deputygene/Cowboy%20stuff/DSCN0421.jpg

bullittmcqueen
04-30-2012, 07:28
Don't worry about DPMS quality.

:faint:

17&27
04-30-2012, 12:20
OP, I've had a DPMS for about a year and have had no problems at all. Granted I haven't and don't anticipate putting 3000 rounds a day through it over and over.
It should make you a good first ar type rifle. I promise no one knocking your choice is going to volunteer to stand down range and wear your targets.

deputygene
05-01-2012, 07:40

Funny... None of the M16 A1's we had in the Marines had brass deflectors. When we switched to the A2, was told the brass deflector was added for left handed shooters.

harleytech
05-01-2012, 07:43

+ 1..!
Mine too..

deputygene
05-01-2012, 08:00

Hardest beyond hard internet operators. LOL too funny:rofl:
The sportical upper is very popular on the hunting forums where AR's are used for predator hunting. Mine is used for coyote hunting. The guys who actually use these, in the field, dragging them from stand to stand, hunting yotes and bobcats appreciate the near sniper accuracy of the sportical. Enjoy yours.
For sights, I am really liking the low power illuminated reticle scopes on mine. For close up, use on 1 power turn on the red dot and use like a red dot, longer distance turn up to 4 power and go.

faawrenchbndr
05-01-2012, 10:40
Congrats OP!

As long as YOU are satisfied,......who gives a **** about everyone
else?! Keep that DPMS well oiled. I prefer Slip 2000 EWL.
Good ammo & PMags are also a good idea.

Milhouse58421
05-01-2012, 11:04
Congrats to the OP on the new rifle, hope it works out great, and you enjoy it.

To everyone else who thinks it is a POS, fine......then YOU don't have buy one. That's the beauty of our system. Get what you want, let others get what they want, and move the f on.

arclight610
05-01-2012, 12:15
There are alot of tools in this thread. OP, enjoy your new rifle.

mingaa
05-01-2012, 14:12
Thanks for the good words all. The gun continues to perform flawlessly and shoot well. I've been shooting IDPA at a club with longer ranges and fewer restrictions - I'll be joining shortly as my 'guest' status in IDPA is about to expire. I'm anxious to see what the SPARC / DPMS combo can do beyond 100 yds with a target larger than a 8" bullseye. The 100 yd. range is great - a Dept. of Conservation location but they issue the targets (2 8" bullseyes side-by-side free is good but...) and the place is great for test-n-tune for $3 an hour but, like I said earlier the 2MOA SPARC pretty much covers the target at 100 yds.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7067/7045080581_e519259791_z.jpg
Current stste of DPMS

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5463/6969914078_53f5a6ee84_z.jpg
The DoC issued targets and 2 of my summer pocket carry ammo tests - Rem UMC takes Federal 115 ball head-to-head. Who will be thye first to tell me that the Taurus 709 is a POS hmmmmm...?? :whistling:

g33kfu
05-02-2012, 12:04
Congrats on the rifle. Have fun