Modern Aircraft Carrier [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Modern Aircraft Carrier

Mrs Glockrunner
02-24-2012, 06:44
The Modern Aircraft Carrier U.S.S JOHN STENNIS in action.

I found this to be quite interesting.

http://www.dump.com/2011/04/16/one-us-aircraft-carrier-has-a-more-powerful-air-force-than-70-of-all-countries-video/

RDW
02-24-2012, 15:55
Wow!!

Washingtonrebel
02-24-2012, 16:14
Very cool, Thanks!!

Adjuster
02-24-2012, 21:14
All that talk about the steam catapult has me wondering. Why don't they catapult launch planes from ground based runways?

/

fwm
02-28-2012, 10:05
All that talk about the steam catapult has me wondering. Why don't they catapult launch planes from ground based runways?
/

Because there is a tremendous weight penalty in Navy aircraft in the landing gear structures required for carrier launches as well as retrieval. Land based aircraft using runways use that saved weight in more arms, electronics, cameras or fuel.

ETA: There is also the 'shifting wind'. The carrier is always pointed into the wind. A land based catapult may or may not be launching into favorable wind conditions.

Adjuster
02-28-2012, 13:59
Because there is a tremendous weight penalty in Navy aircraft in the landing gear structures required for carrier launches as well as retrieval. Land based aircraft using runways use that saved weight in more arms, electronics, cameras or fuel.

ETA: There is also the 'shifting wind'. The carrier is always pointed into the wind. A land based catapult may or may not be launching into favorable wind conditions.

Thanks for the info.

/

tuica
02-28-2012, 14:16
A pretty amazing, and never boring, activity to watch in person. A capability beyond the skills of most nations. (USS Coral Sea 1977-1980).

SC Tiger
02-29-2012, 10:01

/

Steam catapults are also expensive to build and difficult to maintain. It's cheaper to just build a longer runway.

Also, if you catapult launched an airliner or non-military vehicle (for instance) you could wind up breaking a passenger's (or pilot's) neck. Navy pilots have to plant their head back to prevent this.

Basically there is no real advantage. I suppose it could work in an area where it is difficult to find enough flat straight land to build a runway but the aircraft would have to be modified.