Sig P239 9mm vs. Ruger SR9c for carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig P239 9mm vs. Ruger SR9c for carry

pat701
02-24-2012, 08:37
Need help on deciding on the two 9mm pistols. Sig $250 more then Ruger both new. What is more reliable, what more accurate? This will be a carry pistol. The 17 rounds of the Ruger is unneeded by me. 10 rounds are enough for my carry. I am getting ready to buy in a matter of days. Please give me recommendations. I prefer the SA/DA of the sig.

HKLovingIT
02-24-2012, 10:39
They are pretty different from each other.

The SR9C carries 10 if I recall correctly but can take the full size magazine. Striker fired with safety.

The P239 9mm has an 8 round magazine. There is a factory 10 round but it adds quite a bit to the grip. DA/SA or DAK hammer fired, no safety.

I do not own an SR9C but I do own a P239. It carries very easy but I do not carry it anymore because it's just as easy or easier to carry the G26 or H&K P2000sk.

Unless either pistol is broken in some way, they will both be more mechanically accurate than 90% of users will be able to take advantage of. I do not know about the realiability of the Ruger. I know that my SIG has a couple thousand rounds through it and I have had zero malfunctions.

Anyway, before you buy these things ask yourself these questions:

1. Do I want a hammer fired pistol?:

NO - Look into a Glock, M&P, XD

YES - Proceed...

2. Do I want an all metal hammer fired pistol?

NO - Look into an H&K or FNH.

YES - Look at 1911, S&W 3rd Gen, Ruger, Beretta, SIG, CZ, etc.

Look into this also before buying things, it will save you time and money:

Amazon.com: The Gun Digest Book Of Concealed Carry (9780896896116): Massad Ayoob: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mfq2vZpPL.@@AMEPARAM@@51mfq2vZpPL

pat701
02-24-2012, 10:46
Both guns have good/great triggers (ruger) both reiliable, both accurate. I have reashered for months this are my two choices. I am a retired police officer switching from a 2" wheel gun. I will carry inside the pants right front. Sig has a great reputation i have been pleased with SIG. I know it is "old school" single stack, SA/DA. Rugger almost half the price, reviews say you can stake you life on SR9c reliabity. Need advise what to buy from members that have fired both pistols. I am not a big fan of striker fired but can adjust. Just want reliable, accurate, good trigger in 9MM. I am looking also at thier size, shortened barrel but 3 finger grip. The grip is very important to me, all three fingers.

HKLovingIT
02-24-2012, 10:50
Both guns have good/great triggers (ruger) both reiliable, both accurate. I have reashered for months this are my two choices. I am a retired police officer switching from a 2" wheel gun. I will carry inside the pants right front. Sig has a great reputation i have been pleased with SIG. I know it is "old school" single stack, SA/DA. Rugger almost half the price, reviews say you can stake you life on SR9c reliabity. Need advise what to buy from members that have fired both pistols. I am not a big fan of striker fired but can adjust. Just want reliable, accurate, good trigger in 9MM. I am looking also at thier size, shortened barrel but 3 finger grip. The grip is very important to me, all three fingers.

Ok. Well since I haven't shot the Ruger I can't say about that. However, I can say 100% that the odds of you being disappointed with a P239 are about nil. It's reliable, has a nice trigger, shoots easy, I like the single stack grip and points natural. I don't have a bad thing to say about it. If you like the SIG I would look to find a used P239 or a SIG CPO refurb which can usually be had for about $150-$200 dollars less than new.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-24-2012, 10:56
Need help on deciding on the two 9mm pistols. Sig $250 more then Ruger both new. What is more reliable, what more accurate? This will be a carry pistol. The 17 rounds of the Ruger is unneeded by me. 10 rounds are enough for my carry. I am getting ready to buy in a matter of days. Please give me recommendations. I prefer the SA/DA of the sig.

I can without a doubt tell from your post that you want the SIG 239, and are looking for ways to justify it :)

My absolute advice therefore is to buy the SIG. You get the gun you want, and don't look back. Later, as your needs evolve, you may or may not buy some additional guns. But you will always have the SIG that you love. Money doesn't matter in the long run, as you will eventually spend 10x more on ammo than you did on the initial purchase price of the gun.

Patchman
02-24-2012, 10:57
They're both reliable guns. And that's my only hard-and-fast requirement for CCW/SD gun.

Other than reliability, which one you pick seems to come down to personal preferences of each gun's characteristics, price point, etc... Between the two, I'd go for the Sig only because I prefer all metal guns.

The Kahr K9 would also fit the 'three-fingers' requirement nicely.

collim1
02-24-2012, 11:59
I have no experience with the Ruger SR9 other than handling it in the shop.

I do love my P239 and think it would serve you well for a carry gun. It is my daily carry and has been a very accurate and reliable gun.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/collim1/DSC02493.jpg

This is my normal off-duty carry setup. Done Hume H721 OWB, Blackhawk single mag pouch at 11:00, and a 5.11 or Beltman carry belt. It doesn't dissappear under a light cover garment, but it does conceal well and is a comfortable setup for me.

March817
02-24-2012, 12:46
I have only rented a P239 once, and was surprised that I did not like how far back the trigger broke. Find a way to shoot both before dropping the cash.

March817
02-24-2012, 12:51
Augh!!!

ESI Agent
02-24-2012, 13:11
I have the Ruger SR9c,very reliable/accurate,made in the U.S. with a life time warranty. Needless to say I'M very happy with it. Check out Hickcock45 on youtube shooting the Ruger SR9c. Be safe.

toaddad
02-24-2012, 13:58
I have not fired a ruger SR9C, but the few I have handled dild not impress me with their trigger pulls. I have owned and carried a Sig 239 for about two years. It is an excellent choice for a safe, reliable, flat, single-stack 9mm EDC carry. Mine works great for IWB carry plus an off-side back up mag. I prefer it to my Khar CW9 and S&W 908, which are also pretty good choices for this role. The Glock 26 is also a fine choice, but is shorter, but thicker in the grip. Try them out and get the one you like and shoot the best. Be safe.

Schrag4
02-24-2012, 18:16
Haven't handled the Sig but I own an SR9c and it has been reliable and it's much more accurate in my hands than my full-sized Glock, only because it fits my hands better. My suggestion is that you hold them both (and fire them both if you can) before you make your decision.

Bruce M
02-24-2012, 18:49
I'd go for the Sig. I would have alot of difficulty carrying either in a front pocket however.

travis34769
02-24-2012, 22:18
The Ruger is 10X better to carry than the Sig.

CBennett
02-24-2012, 22:31
Wow im a big fan of the Sig but i own the Ruger SR9c as my primary CC. I guess id have to say shoot both....I will NOT say one is "better" then the other as id like and carry either and feel good about the gun. The Ruger isnt a lot thicker than the Sig(if any)(gotta go by slide measurements not the little tiny safety measurements you normally see listed) its closer to Glock 36 thickness than Glock 26 thickness..meaning less its around .95. But id have to shoot both back to back to decide if I was just deciding between the 2. And while id love to have the 239 since I actually have and love the SR9c I will stick with it I guess..its

1. Accurate
2. Reliable(1500 rounds after a initial 150 round break in and in those 1500 not a single failure)
3. Ambidextrous
4. 10 round "normal" mag with a 17 round option...something the 239 does not offer
5. Real nice trigger
6. Pretty thin...probably not quite as thin as a single stack but thinner than say a Glock 26/27/23/19
7. fully adjustable sights

notjustanothermini
02-25-2012, 00:04
i have a ruger sr40, it is cool, very very slim, the slimmest .40 out there, accurate, good aftermarket parts, i have a galloway stainless steel guide rod, a LCI delete, a polished aluminum striker indicator, and a ghost connector. also i have been able to affix a adjustable trigger pad from a glock adjustable over travel/ pretravel trigger to the ruger trigger bar.

the ruger is the size of a g26/27 and is the most glock "non glock" youcan buy.

but the sig, i have too. i like big time firepower, so my vote is the ruger. get one from buds for under 375, free shipping and find a cheap local FFL for transfer. (my guy does it for 10 bux, and accepts all buds transfers)

barth
02-25-2012, 03:39

I only have experience with the P239 in 357 Sig.
It's 100% reliable, laser accurate and is remarkably soft shooting in 357 Sig.

The only drawbacks - IMHO;
1) Weight (30.3/34.0 oz empty/loaded)
and
2) Having a full grip for concealed carry
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo36/3b/c7/d35bf19ef4d6__1322778218000.jpg

I find I favor my G27, or other guns of like size and weight, for carry.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo31/da/5d/99e409e6e6c2__1328383198000.jpg

fowler
02-25-2012, 08:07
Rugers are not sigs or Glocks. Buy the Sig 239 its ten times the gun over the Ruger. Rugers are ok for the money,but I don,t own any rugers. No Thankyou.

Bruce M
02-25-2012, 08:27
The Ruger is 10X better to carry than the Sig.
Any reason why?

CBennett
02-25-2012, 09:34
Rugers are not sigs or Glocks. Buy the Sig 239 its ten times the gun over the Ruger. Rugers are ok for the money,but I don,t own any rugers. No Thankyou.

They are all fine I dont consider any of them better or lesser guns pretty much all decent and all have different things that are either going or not going for them. I dont consider a Glock better than Ruger or Ruger better than Glock or a Sig better than either..they are all good guns. Id own any of them if they had the features I wanted, fit nicely in hand, were reliable and accurate..and ive shot all 3 brands and owned all 3 at one time or another...im not a Glock fan but I cant call them bad guns either they just dont fit my hand right so they are normally not on my list of things to buy...but they are a great gun...same with Sigs and rugers.

pat701
02-25-2012, 09:37
I bought a SIG P239 9mm blue for $665. new total price from dealer. I am happy.:cool:

Bruce M
02-25-2012, 10:55
Enjoy your new Sig P239!

DEADEYEGUY
02-25-2012, 11:58
I own a SIG 239 and it is one of the finest weapons made. At last the older ones are. Is it any 'better" than the SR9c? I fired lots of the SR9's and they are a fine weapon also. Both are very reliable, accurate, and easy to carry. The SR9 is lighter and carries more rounds. The SIG is a SIG. Super accurate, great trigger, always shoots. The 239 usually requires a Hogue rubber grip to fit most hands becuase it is so thin.
Same old answers. Shoot both if you can. decide which best fits you and your needs. Either will serve you well. The 239 is heavier but it is not the boat anchor soome would have you believe. And it is very flat. In wanrm weather in an IWB holster and a t-shirt it disappears quite easily. Having had one for awhile they rally grow on you. But like I said Rugr makes a fine product also.

G26S239
02-25-2012, 13:26
I have 3 P239s, they are great guns. You will not be disappointed with a 239. I have not tried the Ruger.

notjustanothermini
03-03-2012, 21:13

probably coming from a man who never shot a sr or a p series ever.

if you did and came to this "conclusion" it shows your lack of everything.

rugers, glocks, sigs. show me a ruger p series gun that ever KB'd, you cant cuzz you wont find one.

google Kaboom's. all you see is glocks, springers, HK's and some others. never a cz or a ruger p series or sr series. some lcp's have kb'd but that is really just a keltec.

you sir, are Full-O- ****.

fowler
03-03-2012, 21:20
Rugers are the cheap crappy back sits. Ruger makes a nice wheelgun ,but there auto.s no thanks! Our local high volume gun shop send more Rugers back for problems second only to cheap Taurus,s.

cowboy1964
03-03-2012, 21:28
I like the 239 but can't get over the weight per round. FCOL a Glock 19 is lighter and has almost twice the ammo.

KiltedSoule
03-03-2012, 22:02
I bought a SIG P239 9mm blue for $665. new total price from dealer. I am happy.:cool:
Enjoy your 239, I love mine!

gunsmoke92
03-03-2012, 22:12

I've had both and shot both. While I would say the Ruger is a good gun, I will also say, you have purchased probably one of the best 9mms on the market. You've done well, Sir.

MinnesnowtaWild
03-04-2012, 02:40
A lot of ignorance of the SR9c and Ruger in general. The SR9c is a fantastic gun. The trigger sure as heck beats the Glock triggers, but I guess because you have pulled the trigger on a full size SR9 in a gun shop once must mean that all models have a bad trigger.

I guess it's up to you if you would like to carry a 30 oz gun or a 23 oz gun that carries more rounds.

Rinspeed
03-04-2012, 08:17
Rugers are the cheap crappy back sits. Ruger makes a nice wheelgun ,but there auto.s no thanks! Our local high volume gun shop send more Rugers back for problems second only to cheap Taurus,s.

Try not to post when you've been drinking. :upeyes:

notjustanothermini
03-19-2012, 19:10

A lot of ignorance of the SR9c and Ruger in general. The SR9c is a fantastic gun. The trigger sure as heck beats the Glock triggers, but I guess because you have pulled the trigger on a full size SR9 in a gun shop once must mean that all models have a bad trigger.

+1 to both comments above.

also, if you "pulled a SR's trigger in the gun shop, and you did this without the mag in it, then you didnt really experience the SR trigger, as the mag disconnect drags against the striker body and mushes up the trigger all to hell. also you will also contribute to damaging the striker for the next guy who buys it. then they have a gun that was dry fired improperly hundreds of times and may be near the need to have it replaced.

take out the dc, or in the gun store, just keep the empty mag in the gun.

Gdirty5
03-19-2012, 19:49
I have a p239, but think the ruger might be the better carry option. More capacity, slimmer, and lighter.

GlockFish
03-20-2012, 00:21

Interesting.

fowler
03-20-2012, 06:59
Forget the Ruger and spend the few bucks to get a G19 or Sig239 ,SP2022. Rugers are cheap handguns and have alot problems. There about like a Taurus send back to the shop agian to get fixed.

Rinspeed
03-20-2012, 07:41
Forget the Ruger and spend the few bucks to get a G19 or Sig239 ,SP2022. Rugers are cheap handguns and have alot problems. There about like a Taurus send back to the shop agian to get fixed.

:dunno: :dunno:

adamg01
03-20-2012, 08:49
I am not fond of Ruger auto's and I do like Sig so it is a no brainer for me.

cowboy1964
03-20-2012, 08:55
Deleted

fowler
03-20-2012, 17:48
Next to Taurus we have sent back Rugers for repairs second. These were new pistols with defective issues and not related to drinking abuse issues. Rugers and Taurus are not on the same level in reliability as Glocks and Sigs.

257 roberts
03-20-2012, 18:02
I'm a Glock guy but between the two I would go with the Sig.

Spirit of 76
03-22-2012, 03:19
I've had an SR9c for three years. I absolutely love it. However, I no longer carry it because I feel the trigger is too light. It's a joy to shoot, and it feels more natural in my hands than any other pistol I've ever owned, but I replaced it with a Glock 36 as my EDC because of that light trigger. It just gradually lightened over the years, and in my opinion, too much.

fowler
03-22-2012, 13:18
My nephew's one month old SR9 cracked the frame from the trigger guard to the bottom of the mag well. Ruger is going to make up a new one with same ser.## and send it back. Less than 200 rds of factory ammo. A deacon at the church sent back his LC9 with feeding and magazine problems. To many problems.

notjustanothermini
03-22-2012, 17:50
wow, one report so far for a cracked ruger sr, let me guess was it real real cold out when it happend? if so thats because of the fiberglass reinforcement in the ruger.

there is not a more reliable 9mm than a p series gun. and i know we are not talking P series initially, but now its a ruger sucks this is better thread. so although a p series is a big gun for the caliber. (not the p345 though) cant find a more reliable gun.

check out the chamber area an a p series or a sr, look at all that extra metal around it. the extra beef to the gun.

quit messing with this and that on the sr's, how many times have a perfectly good glock started acting up with aftermarket parts in them. alot.

the sig pro is a nice gun, i have two. although i like the sr's better. i like them better than glocks even, the sr is everything a glock wants to be and then some.

NEOH212
03-23-2012, 03:02
The Ruger is lighter.

The Sig is a great shooter and very accurate.

Out of the two, I'd go for the Sig. :wavey:

NEOH212
03-23-2012, 03:04
When I think of Ruger handguns, I think revolvers and .22's.

I don't think about centerfire auto's.

fowler
03-23-2012, 07:23
Indoor range with factory ammo and pistol room tempature. Frame failure SR9.

08GSWHITE
03-23-2012, 10:01
I carry a SR9c in a Crossbreed Supertuck, great gun no problems at all.

FireForged
03-23-2012, 10:08
I own the P239 with the sig short trigger and can say that after 1000 rounds, it has never malfunctioned, carries easily and its ergo lends to less perceived recoil (in my hand). Ruger has always made some fine revolvers (I do and have owned several) but I have never been impressed with any of their semi autos. Why?... They just seem cheap with less than impressive quality control. I am not a brand loyal kind of person- I like with I like, the SR9 is just not something I would buy.

CBennett
03-23-2012, 17:07
I have a p239, but think the ruger might be the better carry option. More capacity, slimmer, and lighter.

Ive Got the SR9c I think BOTH are great guns though..as B4 I got the SR9c the 239 was VERY HIGH on my list of guns I was looking at for CC so you cant go wrong with either. And as was said this Ruger(the SR9c) has been every bit as reliable,well built, better trigger, better sights(fully adjustable), and just a nice gun compared to my Glock 23..which was also great except for the grips... and while i never OWNED the 239 I while looking for a CC gun tested out a buddies at works for a couple weeks(let him borrow my AK74 in exchange) and thats also great..the only thing that really made me decide the Ruger was it held a few more rounds and the 17 round exchange magazine was a cool idea..But other than that...it was a tossup.

CBennett
03-23-2012, 17:08
I carry a SR9c in a Crossbreed Supertuck, great gun no problems at all.

Ive also got this holster and agreed...if you ever want something a bit different for quicker on off type situations try the RM Lowrider Kydex...they FINALLY are making it in the Ruger SR9c model...its my next gun accessory purchase!

The RM LowRider Kydex for my Glock23(when i had it) was the BEST holster ive owned as far as comfort and concealment went.

MinnesnowtaWild
03-23-2012, 20:56
When I think of Ruger handguns, I think revolvers and .22's.

I don't think about centerfire auto's.

Times have changed.