Browning Hi Power Mods [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Browning Hi Power Mods

Cambo
02-24-2012, 19:24
Hi Mas,

First off, I love your writings, I have bought many a gun magazine because of some of the great articles that you've written and I have many of your books as well. In one article, you mention it's not a good idea to remove a Browning Hi Power Mag disconnect and your reasons made sense. What confuses me is the number of Hi Power "Carry" guns modified by custom gunsmiths where they take out the disconnect like it's no big deal. I have also seen many Hi Powers for sale that were supposedly used by law enforcement(who? when? I don't know) that have it removed as well. I am planning on getting a Hi Power soon and plan to leave it stock, but I am curious as to why everyone seems to be so comfortable with removing the disconnect?

Thanks,

Mike

Mas Ayoob
02-24-2012, 21:52
It's a matter of perspective, Cambo. If something makes you feel better or makes money for you and you're not aware of any downside to it, why SHOULDN'T you go for it?

Most shooters don't have to go to court and be exposed to things like false allegations of negligence and accidental discharges. Therefore, they don't see the downside: the exposure to the allegation that "this defendant is so reckless, he deactivates the safety devices on lethal weapons!"

Most shooters appreciate the fact that removing the mag disconnector device on their Hi-Powers allows a drop-free mag release, which makes it faster to reload, and also takes a considerable amount of parts friction out of the action, giving a lighter trigger pull that's easier to manipulate.

And gunsmiths, of course, get paid for altering your gun, not for leaving it as you found it. Most of them don't have to go to court to explain why false allegations of negligence should not be accepted and sustained by a jury.

My perspective is a little different. As an expert witness in weapons cases since 1979, I've seen what most shooters and most gunsmiths don't get drawn into. A lawsuit here (alleging negligence in the wake of a fatal shooting in the Carolinas involving an S&W auto with the disconnector removed). A manslaughter charge there (in criminal court in Florida alleging that a Browning Hi-Power with its disconnector removed, even though it wasn't the actual death weapon, was evidence of recklessness, negligence, and wanton disregard for human life on the part of the defendant who owned it). You see enough of that, you see a pattern emerge...and you learn to either leave the disconnector device in place, or if you don't like it, to carry another gun that was made without it.

The latter is my advice.

Best,
Mas

Cambo
02-25-2012, 15:57
Thankyou very much for your response, it does clear things up.