AR Scope Mount advise needed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR Scope Mount advise needed

SFW
02-24-2012, 23:20
Hi guys. Iím very new to the AR platform, and still getting used to the weapon. I want to mount a scope on my gun. My AR has a front sight gas block, so I need to have the scope up enough to not have any issues with the front site. Can you guys recommend a good scope mount that works well with front site gas blocks? Thanks in advance for the help!

MrMurphy
02-24-2012, 23:31
If you're mounting a magnified scope over 2X the front sight won't matter, the focal point of the scope is further out and it will be 'there but not there' i.e you won't see it.

As to AR scope mounts, there is LaRue, and then there is everything lesser.

Hail Caesar has a hate-hate relationship with Mark and that's fine, but LaRue is the world standard in scope mounts for AR platforms and many others, specifically requested by name by most military units and now NSN platforms for several branches on some optics.

Look at the LT104 for most magnified scopes.

JimBianchi
02-24-2012, 23:58
I'm using a primaryarms.com mount ($80 delivered) on my AR and love it.

Simple, sturdy and holds zero well.

I am not an operator, just a retired military guy who is trying to enjoy my rifle without a lot money spent or a lot of drama fixing stuff.

bmoore
02-25-2012, 07:41
I really like the Burris PEPR.

RatDrall
02-25-2012, 07:44
No need to mount high, when zoomed in a scope looks right past the front sight.

Take a look at GG&G web page, they offer great deals on Leupold scopes with mounts, like under $400 for the Mark AR 1-4x with a mount.

whitebread
02-25-2012, 09:00
Going with LaRue will save you money in the long run. Sooner or later you will end up with one. Nothing else compares and most people learn that the hard way trying to save a few bucks.

I like black
02-25-2012, 09:20
I use a RRA cantilever mount on a AP4 with a front sight gas block and a 3x9 nikon with good results.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=385

The cantilever is nice if you want to move the scope forward to adjust for eye relief.

If you are on a budget and need to get the job done RRA or Burris are good choices.

ILB

Hi guys. Iím very new to the AR platform, and still getting used to the weapon. I want to mount a scope on my gun. My AR has a front sight gas block, so I need to have the scope up enough to not have any issues with the front site. Can you guys recommend a good scope mount that works well with front site gas blocks? Thanks in advance for the help!

jrs93accord
02-25-2012, 09:30
This combo works great. I am getting ready to use it for the third time on a build I am working on.

http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-SWFA-SSALT-Combo-P42148.aspx

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea2011A/007-5.jpg

GotFour
02-25-2012, 10:50
Burris P.E.P.R. is hard to beat for the money. They now have a quick detach version that I have not yet tried.

surf
02-25-2012, 11:41
I have LaRue and ADM mounts. Lets just say that the latest mount that I purchased for my .308 Noveske N6 build was another ADM. Maybe Mark rubs me wrong and the ADM and LaRue mounts do everything the same for my needs.

KiloXray
02-25-2012, 12:05
+1 for the ADM mounts.

I have a RECON with a Millet in it that I really like. Also have the B2 base with a SOCOMM riser for my T1. Both have excellent return to zero after being removed.

EdcLabRat
02-25-2012, 12:38
If you're looking for QD capability, I love my LaRue mounts. It's all I have so I can't comment about the other brands.

bullittmcqueen
02-25-2012, 12:42
I'll throw another vote for LaRue. Extremely pleased with mine.

Javelin
02-25-2012, 12:45
I own both LaRue and ADM mounts.

Both hold absolute zero and both are perfect.

I like black
02-25-2012, 13:35
Yes I totally agree with you, when I picked up an AP4 I was going to get one however they did'nt have the correct diameter for the Nikon I wanted so I used a RRA Cantilever I already had.

What ever the OP picks up out of all the choices given in this thread I am sure it would work fine.

Cheers

ILB

Burris P.E.P.R. is hard to beat for the money. They now have a quick detach version that I have not yet tried.

jrs93accord
02-25-2012, 14:54
I have LaRue and ADM mounts. Lets just say that the latest mount that I purchased for my .308 Noveske N6 build was another ADM. Maybe Mark rubs me wrong and the ADM and LaRue mounts do everything the same for my needs.

I also use the LaRue Tactical SPR / M4 Scope Mount QD LT104 with a Millett DMS on my SPR build.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/DSC00500.jpg

LaRue and ADM make top quality mounts and have the price to go along with them. They are well worth the money.

HAIL CAESAR
02-25-2012, 15:10
As to AR scope mounts, there is LaRue, and then there is everything lesser.

Hail Caesar has a hate-hate relationship with Mark and that's fine, but LaRue is the world standard in scope mounts for AR platforms and many others, specifically requested by name by most military units and now NSN platforms for several branches on some optics.

Look at the LT104 for most magnified scopes.

:rofl: Probably true.:rofl:

That is the way I think. I have both, but don't plan to buy anymore LT products unless that is the only product to fill a need.

To the OP;

Do you really plan on taking the scope on and off? Repeatidly, over and over?? If not don't waste your money on a mount designed for rapid change.

Al

P.S. Mark L is a jerk.:tongueout:

Minnow
02-25-2012, 15:16
From the original post I take it that you have a flattop upper receiver, correct?

What scope are you going to use?

skeeter1959
02-27-2012, 22:19

I think the Burris P.E.P.R. is a great mount for the money. I have one and a Nikon M-223 mount. The Burris is my fav.

crazymoose
02-28-2012, 03:48
I've personally had very good luck with LaRue and American Defense. Lots of people also swear by Bobro, but I've never used them.

Don't skimp on optics or mounts. There's always sticker shock, but a good optic and mount is worth the money.