Alternative powered light/secutiry system? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alternative powered light/secutiry system?

emt1581
02-25-2012, 18:50
I was thinking about what sleeping would be like during a violent SHTF or one where humans are the threat rather than mother nature.

Instead of taking shifts, because between myself and my wife (and son a few years down the road), it'd probably get old and difficult quick.

Hooking a security system up to solar panels or some other form of power would ensure that the power could not be cut in order to destroy the monitoring system.

Just a thought anyway.

What are your thoughts?

Are there any simple ways to security a perimeter in a residential area other than taking shifts??

I've got a huge GSD but he only is awoken out of a dead sleep if he hears a food wrapper....then he has to investigate. Otherwise it's not until someone touches the house or is walking through the door that he cares...

-Emt1581

quake
02-25-2012, 20:13
Most security systems - even low-end ones - have battery backup system-wide that will run the system anywhere from 4 to 24 hours. Running a generator for a couple hours once or twice (or however many times) a day, would recharge that battery for function while the generator was not running.

Outdoor intrusion detection via motion sensors, photobeams etc, is tricky; since the detector doesn't know the difference between an intruder, a stray dog, or a walmart bag blowing in the wind. Move in front of it, or break the beam; alarm goes off. Doesn't usually differentiate what it was that actually caused the break or movement; and you end up with the "cry wolf" situation and can easily end up distrusting your own equipment.

All that said, if you have a location or situation that lets you use them, a simple "driveway annunciator" system is a seriously capable early-warning system for very little money. The optex 2000 is the one we use most often, and it does very well. It consists of a self-contained outdoor motion sensor about the size of a baseball with an integral transmitter, running on a 9v battery; and an indoor receiver that looks a lot like a baby monitor. The receiver can receive signals from up to four sensor/transmitters (more than a quarter-mile away if need be), with zoned LED's and zone-specific tones so you you know which sensor was tripped. There is no outside indication that a sensor has been violated; only at the indoor receiver unit.

http://www.optexamerica.com/content/38/RCTD-20U.jpg

We use them primarily as convenience/annunciation purposes for customers. If used for security purposes, the first thing I'd do is paint the sensor housing something other than the bright white it comes in. Painted a neutral color and positioned with security in mind, it could accomplish quite a bit with minimal installation hassle.

Carry16
02-25-2012, 22:53
My security system has a 12vdc 8ah battery which only holds up for maybe 3 or 4 hours - I have lots of motions, smokes, etc. If I needed to extend this I would hook up a car battery in place of the 8ah and connect a 30 watt or so solar panel to keep it up.

That said, I don't think it's realistic to plan on defending your home with 2 or 3 people during shtf. If you can't organize your neighborhood into a defensive force, you need to move to a new neighborhood.