Chrome lining seems to be coming out of the barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Chrome lining seems to be coming out of the barrel

Big.40
02-26-2012, 04:02
So my brand new Stag model 2 seems to have chrome coming out on patches when I cleaned the barrel after shooting 200rds through it. Is this common and should I be worried about it? I looked in the barrel with a good light and it seems there is a dull look maybe lack of chrome at the start of the barrel riffling.(In a very small area) Not sure but that's what I thought. I ran a bore brush through it then patches used CLP to clean it.

NEOH212
02-26-2012, 04:33
No, the lining shouldn't be coming out. Are you absolutely sure it's the chrome and not fouling from the ammo? (Not to make you feel stupid, just asking.)

Did you clean it with a strong ammonia based solvent and leave it sit in the barrel too long? Ammonia based solvents are hell on chrome lining if you let them stay in contact with the chrome for too long. If the lining is coming out, call Stag arms. I believe Stag guaranteeing their barrels for life if I'm not mistaken but since it's a new rifle, they should cover it no matter what.

NEOH212
02-26-2012, 04:37
One more thing, sometimes I have had some very small loose chrome that was on the surface of the rest of the lining come out of the barrel. They were small and like I said, they were on the surface of the main lining. Almost like burrs or deposits.

There were no bare spots down to the barrel steel after they came out. This stuff that I'm talking about here was more like a dust or powder and not big chunks or big flakes though.

If it's just like a powder, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's bigger, like flakes or chunks, it shouldn't be doing that. You have have a bad barrel. That happens sometimes. It's no big deal. You will have to send them your gun to have the barrel replaced. It's a little inconvenient but they should take care of it on their dime.

Big.40
02-27-2012, 23:27
Guess I'm just gonna wait and run a few hundred more rounds through soon. I want to see if the chrome would affect accuracy or if anymore comes out next cleaning. I dont want to ship it back to the company and make them fix it yet it is under warranty for life so I guess no rush to send it in. I will let the excitement of owning my first AR wear off a bit before I go and send it in for repair. Guessing they will just take the whole upper half back?

faawrenchbndr
02-27-2012, 23:35
Contact Stag,.......it will only get worse! Sounds like it is peeeling
at the throat. That is where the most heat is in the barrel.

Call Stag.

WoodenPlank
02-27-2012, 23:37
Contact Stag,.......it will only get worse! Sounds like it is peeeling
at the throat. That is where the most heat is in the barrel.

Call Stag.

This was my thought, as well. Give them a call ASAP.

RatDrall
02-28-2012, 05:24
Stag, on the other end of the phone, will be able to see as much as we can, on the other end of a computer.

Take your rifle to a gunshop and have someone look at it. It's unlikely that chrome is actually peeling off, and that what you are seeing is fouling of some sort.

Take it to someone, physically, before you ship it across the country....

faawrenchbndr
02-28-2012, 07:55
No,.......call Stag.

Letting some local GunHack screw with it will do nothing except
cause warranty problems. Stag will send a call tag to take
care of the shipping.

Don't let a local screw with it! In my 27 years of shooting a
M16 & AR15, the only time I've ever seen "flakes" while
cleaning it was with an old M16A1 with a peeling barrel.

M&P15T
02-29-2012, 09:15
Hold on a minute....

Someone can chime in and correct me if I'm completely wrong here, but I don't believe that the chrome lining in AR barrels is like that on a car bumper from days of yore. I don't believe it is something that will "peel off" like an old bumper, rather it's a metal treatment that hardens the surface of the barrel.

Please correct me if I'm miss-understanding this.

K. Foster
02-29-2012, 11:34
Someone can chime in and correct me if I'm completely wrong here, but I don't believe that the chrome lining in AR barrels is like that on a car bumper from days of yore. I don't believe it is something that will "peel off" like an old bumper, rather it's a metal treatment that hardens the surface of the barrel.

Yes and no. Barrel chrome is not like bumper chrome but it is a lining and could conceivably become detached from the barrel. Although I’ve never seen this happen.

OP- Can you post a quality pic of the flakes on your cleaning patches?? If not, I understand. Calling Stag is a good idea but I recommend letting someone more experienced look at the gun before you send it back to Stag.

K. Foster
02-29-2012, 11:40
No,.......call Stag.

care of the shipping.

No one said anything about letting a “local hack screw with it”. Obviously the OP isn’t sure what he’s looking at, no offense intended. There should be nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.

zhix
02-29-2012, 11:51
They will give you a pre-paid UPS label to ship the rifle/upper. If there actually is something wrong with the hard chrome lining they may or may not fix it..

Big.40
02-29-2012, 12:05
I dont have pics of the patch but I will try to describe the best as possible. I ran a bore brush through and on a few patches that followed I got bright very shinny and small flakes that eventually wiped out. I have seen fouling and such on my other guns and have never seen anything this shinny, thats why I think it could be the chrome lining. Also when I look down the barrel just where the rifling starts after the bullet there are some small areas that look dull not shinny. I have tried cleaning it several times in case of dirt. Anymore info/questions you have let me know I will post.

faawrenchbndr
02-29-2012, 12:07
No one said anything about letting a “local hack screw with it”. Obviously the OP isn’t sure what he’s looking at, no offense intended. There should be nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.

I've seen and heard of WAY too many local hacks jacking
up rifles & pistols to suggest that ANY local look at one.
Stag has a warranty, Stag will cover postage, Stag should
be the ONLY one looking at this barrel. Unless the OP does
not give a crap about Stag's warranty.

M&P15T
02-29-2012, 15:05
I dont have pics of the patch but I will try to describe the best as possible. I ran a bore brush through and on a few patches that followed I got bright very shinny and small flakes that eventually wiped out. I have seen fouling and such on my other guns and have never seen anything this shinny, thats why I think it could be the chrome lining. Also when I look down the barrel just where the rifling starts after the bullet there are some small areas that look dull not shinny. I have tried cleaning it several times in case of dirt. Anymore info/questions you have let me know I will post.

O.k., got it.

I really don't believe there's anything wrong with your barrel. The chrome lining is not like a bumper, or other shiny chromed metal. It looks matte grey color, and is meant to harden the bore. Anything shinny and flakey is probably from ammo you're shooting. I don't think there's anything wrong with your barrel.

K. Foster
02-29-2012, 17:02
I've seen and heard of WAY too many local hacks jacking
up rifles & pistols to suggest that ANY local look at one.
Stag has a warranty, Stag will cover postage, Stag should
be the ONLY one looking at this barrel. Unless the OP does
not give a crap about Stag's warranty.

You are confusing the word “look” with “fix”. If there is a problem, Stag would be the obvious choice. At this point, no one is sure there is a problem.

Glock 1
02-29-2012, 17:09
Maybe you got the "DUB" version and its really shiny chrome. They be flakin, they be flakin. :supergrin:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/SjENv_ty_8I/AAAAAAAAoKs/HX4Us2V9wXc/s400/bling_teeth_29.jpg

faawrenchbndr
02-29-2012, 17:09
You are confusing the word “look” with “fix”. If there is a problem, Stag would be the obvious choice. At this point, no one is sure there is a problem.

Nope,.......not confused about anything.
Been there, done that seen it!

OP should send it in to Stag........I'm SURE of it!
But it's his rifle, not mine.

K. Foster
02-29-2012, 17:13

Shinny? Are you sure they weren’t flakes or strands from your bore brush? I’ve had that happen several times. You aren’t using a stainless brush are you? If so, stop immediately. I looked down a couple of my bores and didn’t see any dull areas. Not sure what to think.

Javelin
Maybe you got the "DUB" version and its really shiny chrome. They be flakin, they be flakin. :supergrin:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/SjENv_ty_8I/AAAAAAAAoKs/HX4Us2V9wXc/s400/bling_teeth_29.jpg

That is disgusting.

:shocked:

Glock 1
If the paint was peeling on your new car, do you take it to a body shop or the dealer?

Javelin
02-29-2012, 17:24
I have never seen an M4 chrome lining peel out of the barrel...... not saying it couldn't happen.

Just really strange. What ammo did you use before cleaning? :dunno:

faawrenchbndr
02-29-2012, 17:33
Seems this is turning into a pissing match. Everyone is
entitled to their opinions, but here's my point.

If Stag will send a call tag to pay for shipping, why not
send it in and get the manufacturer's to take a look at it.
It's under warranty, OP is out no funds..........just my opinion.

I'm outta this one,......good luck with the rifle OP. :wavey:

Eurodriver
02-29-2012, 18:12
Seems this is turning into a pissing match. Everyone is
entitled to their opinions, but here's my point.

If Stag will send a call tag to pay for shipping, why not
send it in and get the manufacturer's to take a look at it.
It's under warranty, OP is out no funds..........just my opinion.

I'm outta this one,......good luck with the rifle OP. :wavey:

Because he could just walk into a gun store with a knowledgeable staff with the patch and say "this came out of my barrel"

and not be out of a rifle for weeks. (months)

GSSF17
02-29-2012, 19:00
I am gonna thorw the BS flag, here. Chrome lining peeling out??? NO way. Pics, please.

mikekj
02-29-2012, 19:35
Are you using an uncoated aluminum cleaning rod? Silver Bear ammo?

Big.40
02-29-2012, 21:49
I used a Bronze bore brush, CLP to clean. The flakes looked like shinny chrome not bronze color. I shot Federal Ammo Lake City XM193 out of my gun. and some .223 Remington UMC MC. I wish I saved the patches and took pics I was not thinking at the time. I just didnt know if there could have been an issue or small bubble from the coating process and shooting broke free some lining?

K. Foster
03-01-2012, 08:30
I would shoot it again and see what happens.

Glockdude1
03-01-2012, 08:46
No,.......call Stag.

care of the shipping.

:agree:

tim12232
03-01-2012, 14:10
Guess I'm just gonna wait and run a few hundred more rounds through soon. I want to see if the chrome would affect accuracy or if anymore comes out next cleaning. I dont want to ship it back to the company and make them fix it yet it is under warranty for life so I guess no rush to send it in. I will let the excitement of owning my first AR wear off a bit before I go and send it in for repair. Guessing they will just take the whole upper half back?

Non chrome lined barrels are generally more accurate than chrome lined, however need more consistent cleaning and maintenance. im not sure about accuracy if the barrel is half chrome lined and half not.....
Send it in to Stag and they will take care of it!