BUG OUT vs. BUG IN [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : BUG OUT vs. BUG IN

nightwolf1974
02-26-2012, 11:18
In the last 15 years of my prepping, I've seen and heard a lot of debates over wether to leave your primary location (BUG OUT) or stay entrenched at your primary location (BUG IN). We all have different views and/or needs in this catagory.

Me personally my prepping is based on the BUG IN scenario(SP?).

I was wondering how many preppers here have decided to BUG IN or BUG OUT?

auto-5
02-26-2012, 11:25
Not a prepper but I do have contingency plans for natural disasters that happen around our area. For instance in Kansas I am much more prepared for a massive tornado than for a Chinese invasion.

ChuteTheMall
02-26-2012, 11:27
I'm 90% bug in, because in an emergency situation I'd be stuck in the world's largest traffic jam with several million others.

My 10% bug out means I do keep some stuff in my truck, in case my home is suddenly gone or in case I'm elsewhere when it hits the fan.

I have very little chance of getting to a pre-arranged bug out location, and I'm not eager to be another refugee on the highway.

Home is where the resources are.

Glockdude1
02-26-2012, 11:28
I vote for Bug in.

:cool:

hokieglock
02-26-2012, 11:43
Bug in: shelter, water, food, guns, ammo, all in large quantities.

Bolster
02-26-2012, 11:55
I'm 90% bug in, because in an emergency situation I'd be stuck in the world's largest traffic jam with several million others.

Ditto here. IN.

(The situation that would indicate OUT would be escaping nuclear radiation or a chemical attack. Not prepared for that. Even then, IN might still be the best option.)

michael e
02-26-2012, 12:41
After having family that tried to leave for the last 2 hurricanes and sit in traffic for 10+ hours to get 100 miles away, I will not leave.

kirgi08
02-26-2012, 13:00
We have the ability ta do either.'08.

Reaver2218
02-26-2012, 16:57
bug in until it is absolutely necessary for me to leave and at that point in time my house would have to be burning down around me.

kirgi08
02-26-2012, 17:00
Buy then It'll be too late.'08.

Glock30Eric
02-26-2012, 17:05
I live in an apartment. It's better for me to bug in to weather out the storm. After the storm is settled then I'll bug out to my friend's land. I'll try my best to bug out if I had the opportunity to do that.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Aceman
02-26-2012, 18:57
I am in general a big fan of Bug In for the reasons mentioned. I have three kids. Bug Out is a tough deal and dangerous for me.

BUT: I keep in mind the reality/need for bug out.

Hurricane Cat 5, for example. While I am on high enough ground to make it, it's time to go. My hurricane plan has distinct categories of "prepare to leave at level X" and "leave at level Y" That includes things like where to go and securing reservations etc...

My general disposition is that if I CAN'T leave before hand - I need to ride it out. But, if necessary, for example, I keep ALL of the camp gear packed and ready to go. I can toss tents, bags, lights, kitchen set, and stored food boxes in the van and be ready in 15 minutes.

So I think it was said best above: 90% In / 10% Out. With some specific situations and plans and preps for going.

coastal4974
02-26-2012, 20:29
Unless itís fire or a cat 3+, Iím safer in.

GlockPride
02-26-2012, 20:37
I think for the vast majority of people bugging IN is where it's at: comfort, probably have most of your supplies there, knowledge of immediate and general area and use it on a regular basis and overall familiarity would be hard to beat in a time of crisis.
However, everyone should at least scout and consider an alternate location due circumstances beyond control such as: tornados, fires, earthquakes, storm, riots, etc. shelter is key and water is crucial. All else is secondary. Security and food are important but not as much as the feeling and actually usefulness of a roof and hydration. Work from that and give yourself a couple of routes or three to get there.

Syclone538
02-26-2012, 20:41
I think you would have to be so rich that you have two equally stocked homes that are close enough to get from one to the other, while being far enough apart so one is better then the other for whatever shtf is going on, for bugging out to be the default answer.

ca survivor
02-27-2012, 13:47
I will not leave.

glockeglock
02-27-2012, 14:40

nightwolf1974
02-27-2012, 16:53
I think for the vast majority of people bugging IN is where it's at: comfort, probably have most of your supplies there, knowledge of immediate and general area and use it on a regular basis and overall familiarity would be hard to beat in a time of crisis.
However, everyone should at least scout and consider an alternate location due circumstances beyond control such as: tornados, fires, earthquakes, storm, riots, etc. shelter is key and water is crucial. All else is secondary. Security and food are important but not as much as the feeling and actually usefulness of a roof and hydration. Work from that and give yourself a couple of routes or three to get there.

:wave:

So far, this is the best response I've gotten here! My alternate BUG IN spot is my hunting camp close by. I won't go into details about what's cached there, but I can stay comfortably for a while. :whistling:

inzone
02-27-2012, 18:16
This is my home...I might send my kids and wife to be with relatives in the safe mountains but I fly the American flag out front that says to me, I stay and fight...... besides, I am too damn lazy to load all those cases of ammo into my truck and a uhaul...... I have a small group of patriot minded folks and I think we will just give them the lead first.... plenty of potable water, plenty of beans and rice in buckets and plenty of Jack Daniels too..... I'm an old veteran and have lived a damn fine life so I can handle what comes.... note to self....maybe more Jack Daniels when its on sale at Costco !!!! Whiskey and gunpowder....the patriots arsenal!

jdavionic
02-27-2012, 18:26
In the last 15 years of my prepping, I've seen and heard a lot of debates over wether to leave your primary location (BUG OUT) or stay entrenched at your primary location (BUG IN). We all have different views and/or needs in this catagory.

Me personally my prepping is based on the BUG IN scenario(SP?).

I was wondering how many preppers here have decided to BUG IN or BUG OUT?

I will not bug out unless the risk of staying exceeds all of the risks associated with bugging out. Bugging out involves many new challenges - risk of being attacked as you pass through other areas, risk of your vehicle being rendered useless (e.g., roads are not passible), inability to take as much supplies (although some have ample supplies at their BOL), etc.

I do have plans for bugging out for a variety of reasons. For example, I live close enough to train tracks to be concerned over a catastrophic derailment. Yes, we'd likely make our way to a hotel. However if everyone in the towns are trying to evacuate at the same time, it would be beneficial to have food, water, extra fuel, etc...all of which I have. That's just one bug out scenario.

Linh40
02-28-2012, 00:29
Well it depends on the situation for example if my area was going to get flooded then I'll bug out. Though during the last flood in the midwest I saw some awesome bug in where the people built berms around their home to protect it.

barbedwiresmile
02-28-2012, 04:14
Bug in.

Which is easy to say when you live in the sticks. But it's likely a preferable situation even for folks in the cities and towns. As you know, I've long been an outspoken critic of the whole bug-out strategy. It's just not viable for the vast majority of people. One of the main reasons, as mentioned in several previous posts, is the volume of traffic. Another reason is timing. Yet another is the necessity of advance placement of preps. Further, how many people are in shape to bug-out long distances on foot? Not to mention dealing with the security threats such a strategy would involve (not just run-of-the-mill bad guys but costumed bad guys enforcing checkpoints, quarantines, etc). Lots of pseudo-prepared people reactively bugging out also suggests cluster****.

kirgi08
02-28-2012, 07:17
Timing is everything.'08.

pugman
02-28-2012, 07:37
It depends on what we are talking about.

I am set up to telecommute from home full time if need be (just finished a full month working from home...living in a small town you feel a little couped up not seeing a Walmart for a while but its nice living in sweat pants)

If its a short lived whatever...I will bug in. Think the movie Contagion.

If I perceive it to be a potential longer term problem I will bug out to bug in. I have three spots: one 25 miles away...one about 85 as the crow flies...one is about 400. As Kirgi put it timing to me is everything. I live right on 94EW from Milwaukee to Madison. This is a main throughfare for Chicagoians to get to their cabins in the Northern part of the state - I leave even a few hours late I'm screwed to get to location 2. This said its only 80 miles. As I'm training for a Tough Mudder I think in a forced march pace I could make this walk in 3-4 days. The key is my wife who, while she has started going to the gym, can't come close to my pace.

I have secondary supplies at the spot 25 miles away...the spot 85 is my wife's uncle who is a good ol boy and would welcome any family capable of working to keep a place safe, can cut wood, operate a gun, etc. His single shortage is manpower.

Spot #3 is nearly unsupplied but has clean water, good game in the area and besides for the local folks who are set up 10 times better than the place is is pretty secluded

lawman800
02-28-2012, 07:50
In. The biggest threat here in LA is an earthquake and traffic is bad enough without that catastrophe. Imagine how bad it will be after the big one hits. There would be no roads to travel on, and any roads left will be filled with the panic stricken.

I don't plan on traveling by motorcycle much either... maybe I should buy a dirtbike just in case?

kirgi08
02-28-2012, 08:15
We have exactly the same preps at home and the BOL,the only difference is sq/ft.Home is bigger and the BOL is smaller,the preps remain the same.If we decide ta get outta dodge and have the time ta transfer it all.Right at 15yrs of stored and more than that with grown-gathered food.'08.

quake
02-28-2012, 09:18
I will not leave.
Completely understandable, but sometimes a bad idea.

...However, everyone should at least scout and consider an alternate location due circumstances beyond control such as: tornados, fires, earthquakes, storm, riots, etc...
+1. I'm hugely of a "hunker & bunker" mindset as many are, but there are things that mean you either leave or you don't survive. Some sleepy truck driver (or a rail car) tipping a load of caustic junk on the highway upwind from us, a factory or plant having an explosion or leak, even a water treatment plant losing a chlorine tank, etc. Even with good breathing gear, it still makes more sense to leave than to stay, in the rare circumstance.

The best idea usually is to stay put, but contingency plans are (or at least should be) an integral part of emergency response.

runcible68
02-28-2012, 16:56
I'm for bugging in for most situations - even a nuclear blast. The government came out with a study that claimed casualty rates from fallout would be lower if people fought the urge to flee and stayed inside some kind of structure - even a wood frame house. Of course, a concrete bunker lined with lead would be handy.

I have about a month's worth of food in my house and 2 weeks of water. I'd try and stay away from supermarkets and the highway. They could all become death zones if things got really bad and I wouldn't have access to all the guns ammo I have. And I have a couple of well armed neighbors as well and we'd cooperate on defensive matters.

Glock 1
02-28-2012, 17:03
Reminds me of alas Babylon. Good book.

Batesmotel
02-28-2012, 17:06
Bug in due to earthquake.

If we get hit bad I will be better off staying put for a few days.

Other than that it will be as needed.

jljbtm
02-28-2012, 20:36
I have alway's wondered where the "bug outs" are going to go? Everything We have is here at home, we will not survive longer anywhere else.

MarkM32
02-28-2012, 20:46
I'm not really a prepper, nor do I really see the need for a plan, because in my case, if something happens, I'm getting a phone call saying get my tail in to work ASAP. Honestly, it would depend on where I lived. Some remote area in the mountains, chances are I'm staying put. I live about 45 minutes from D.C. so chances are I'd be in immediate danger if something substantial happened. I can say that my locality has a warehouse of water, blankets, fold-up cots, food, and just about everything else one would need. And by warehouse, I mean a freaking warehouse.

UneasyRider
02-29-2012, 05:01
I have alway's wondered where the "bug outs" are going to go? Everything We have is here at home, we will not survive longer anywhere else.

You and I are circling the same airfield. My wife may want to go on a CAT 5 hurricane more for the excitement of a trip than need, I want to stay put.

jljbtm
02-29-2012, 07:13
Bugging out is for those of you in a flood plain or have a house built below Sea level, or a Tornado zone otherwise just prepare.
No one knows where the next Earthquake will happen, so just be ready to deal with "Local" Emergency's

kirgi08
02-29-2012, 07:14

I started a thread titled "Decisions",take a look at it.'08.