Noob question about an AR sling [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Noob question about an AR sling

dbarhsi
02-26-2012, 12:31
Just got my first AR in Dec and I'm looking for a decent sling. Any recommendations for a plane jane 16" M4gery (Palmetto State)? I don't really need anything all sooper dooper tactical. Just something for comfortably carrying it around. Thanks in advance!

JBaird22
02-26-2012, 12:51
Tactical Assault Gear has a decent 2 point that I received for free. It doesn't have any buckles in the middle to split it apart like a lot of the better 2 points do but it does have quick adjust features and the nylon is supple.

There is a fella here that makes slings but for the life of me I can't remember the name of his company and I don't have any experience with their slings. I'd check him out if someone can remember the name of the company.

1 points look cool, but 2 points are better for carrying the gun in most situations.

WoodenPlank
02-26-2012, 13:10
VTAC or Vickers 2-point slings. They're more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

dbarhsi
02-26-2012, 13:20
And these slings recommended will work with "standard attachment points"? By "standard", I mean the ring under the front sight and ring/slot at the back of the collapsible stock. I don't have any high speed rails or anything on the rifle. Just the round hand guards for now.

OdinIII
02-26-2012, 13:23
I really like the padded Vickers VCAS sling.

dbarhsi
02-26-2012, 13:25
I really like the padded Vickers VCAS sling.

Does it require anything special on the rifle or will it attach to "normal" mounting points? Please refer to my post immediately above yours.

OdinIII
02-26-2012, 13:31
The rear works fine using the slot in the stock. Both of my rifles have the front mounted to a Colt style barrel mounted side swivel. Paracord or a Vickers UWL would also work.

If you want to carry the rifle in the ready position then I think you really should see if you can find a rifle with a good two point sling that you can test. These work much better than the single point that I used to use while also being much more useful than the bottom mounted standard carry sling.

RMTactical
02-26-2012, 14:40
A 2-Point Quick Adjust Sling is what you want.

dbarhsi
02-26-2012, 15:00
A 2-Point Quick Adjust Sling is what you want.

What do you like and use?

WoodenPlank
02-26-2012, 15:23
And these slings recommended will work with "standard attachment points"? By "standard", I mean the ring under the front sight and ring/slot at the back of the collapsible stock. I don't have any high speed rails or anything on the rifle. Just the round hand guards for now.

What do you like and use?

Both the VTAC (Viking Tactics) and VCAS (Vickers Tactical) slings are 2-point, quick-adjust slings. Assuming you have sling loops on the front (usually under the gas block) and rear (usually a slot in the stock or a protruding loop), you will be able to attach it. Depending on your exact stock and rifle, there may be different ways to do so. Assuming you are a right-handed shooter, you want the sling running along the left side of the rifle. When slung across your chest, the mag well should face down and right (towards your right hip, roughly), and the ejection port should face away from you.

Most stocks will support mounting the sling in this manner. You may need to purchase an adapter for the front end of your rifle, though, to accomplish this. If you could post a photo of your AR, it would make it a little easier to advise you on actual mounting options.

dbarhsi
02-26-2012, 15:48
I don't have a photo handy, but it has the standard loop under the gas block and both a slot near the top and loop on the bottom at the end of the stock.

zagzig
02-26-2012, 15:58
If you don't want to spend a lot, the boonie packer 2 point adjustable sling can be had at redi-mag.com for around $20. It is a good sling especially for the money.

dbarhsi
02-26-2012, 16:02
If you don't want to spend a lot, the boonie packer 2 point adjustable sling can be had at redi-mag.com for around $20. It is a good sling especially for the money.

Thanks! The rifle in their link looks exactly like mine.

dbarhsi
02-26-2012, 16:20
I ordered the sling zagzig recommended. I got the 1.5 inch version for $21.95 with free shipping. I figure that's "throw away" cheap enough if it turns out to totally suck. The reviews seemed pretty decent on it, though. Basically, I just want a sling for walking to/from targets here in the AZ desert and keep the rifle out of the dirt in general.

Now, any recommendations on a decent set of forward hand guard rails that aren't too expensive? I ordered some on Amazon that were $40, but they were heavy and didn't fit too well. Guess I'll have to up my price point on those. :rofl:

Manic
02-26-2012, 16:38
I just ordered a sling for my AR a few days ago. It arrived yesterday, used it today while out shooting. May I recommend a Magpul ms3 and the Magpul ASAP mount.

I'm very happy with it, glad I spent the extra money and got a quality sling.

WoodenPlank
02-26-2012, 17:11
I ordered the sling zagzig recommended. I got the 1.5 inch version for $21.95 with free shipping. I figure that's "throw away" cheap enough if it turns out to totally suck. The reviews seemed pretty decent on it, though. Basically, I just want a sling for walking to/from targets here in the AZ desert and keep the rifle out of the dirt in general.

Now, any recommendations on a decent set of forward hand guard rails that aren't too expensive? I ordered some on Amazon that were $40, but they were heavy and didn't fit too well. Guess I'll have to up my price point on those. :rofl:

Knight's Armament "blemish" M4 handguards, or Daniel Defense EZ-CAR. Either one will set you back about $150, but they are well worth the money.

I just ordered a sling for my AR a few days ago. It arrived yesterday, used it today while out shooting. May I recommend a Magpul ms3 and the Magpul ASAP mount.

I'm very happy with it, glad I spent the extra money and got a quality sling.

The MS3 as a single-point is great if you're just on a range shooting for fun. When you start trying to shoot on the move, do handgun transitions, etc. they start to suck quickly. Even worse is how much noise the ASAP makes. I switched from the MS2/ASAP combo back to a VTAC 2-point and will not look back.

jrs93accord
02-26-2012, 17:30
TROY VTAC 2 Point Sling Wide (Non-Padded)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea%202012/007-1.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea%202012/008-1.jpg

Vickers Combat Applications 2 Point Sling (Blue Force)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea2011A/002-11.jpg

dbarhsi
02-26-2012, 17:34
Nice. What forward hand guard/rail system is that on the top rifle?

jrs93accord
02-26-2012, 17:38
Nice. What forward hand guard/rail system is that on the top rifle?

Troy MRFC-DI that has been duracoated flat dark earth. It has built-in attachment points for QD sling swivels. Rail covers are MAGPUL XTMs.

dbarhsi
02-26-2012, 17:49
Troy MRFC-DI that has been duracoated flat dark earth. It has built-in attachment points for QD sling swivels. Rail covers are MAGPUL XTMs.

How much did that run, if you don't mind me asking?

WoodenPlank
02-26-2012, 17:55

I believe this (http://troyind.com/%20/rail-systemsaccessories/rails/ar15m16-rails/free-float-rails/troy-battlerail-mrf-c-7) is the same rail. Requires come modification to the rifle, but you don't have to pull the barrel or gas block. $180 MSRP. Troy also makes a drop-in, non-free-float handguard that's about $150, same as the Knights and Daniel Defense options I mentioned earlier.

dbarhsi
02-26-2012, 18:06
I believe this (http://troyind.com/%20/rail-systemsaccessories/rails/ar15m16-rails/free-float-rails/troy-battlerail-mrf-c-7) is the same rail. Requires come modification to the rifle, but you don't have to pull the barrel or gas block. $180 MSRP. Troy also makes a drop-in, non-free-float handguard that's about $150, same as the Knights and Daniel Defense options I mentioned earlier.

Ouch. I like my rifle well enough and it's been 100% reliable, so far, for almost 1500rds, but spending $150+ on hand guards for a $600 rifle hurts. :wow:

WoodenPlank
02-26-2012, 18:15
Ouch. I like my rifle well enough and it's been 100% reliable, so far, for almost 1500rds, but spending $150+ on hand guards for a $600 rifle hurts. :wow:

Railed handguards are one of the places on an AR where you 100% get what you pay for. Rails, barrels, bolt carrier groups, and triggers are the parts you generally do not want to cheap out on. Plus, $150 for railed, drop in handguards is nothing compared to some of the higher end free-float tubes out there. Paying $150 for a Troy, DD, KAC, etc. will give you a significantly better product than a UTG, etc.

dbarhsi
02-26-2012, 18:20
Railed handguards are one of the places on an AR where you 100% get what you pay for. Rails, barrels, bolt carrier groups, and triggers are the parts you generally do not want to cheap out on. Plus, $150 for railed, drop in handguards is nothing compared to some of the higher end free-float tubes out there. Paying $150 for a Troy, DD, KAC, etc. will give you a significantly better product than a UTG, etc.

Thanks, I'll have to keep that in mind. Are these $150 hand guards significantly heavier than the stock plastic round ones (carbine length)? The one I returned was HEAVY. Can't remember the no-name brand, but it wasn't UTG. I did throw a UTG carry handle/rear sight on it for now and it seems pretty well made.

I found the Troy drop-in non-free float rail for $120. What covers would fit this and are they standard in sizing?

WoodenPlank
02-26-2012, 18:28
Thanks, I'll have to keep that in mind. Are these $150 hand guards significantly heavier than the stock plastic round ones (carbine length)? The one I returned was HEAVY. Can't remember the no-name brand, but it wasn't UTG. I did throw a UTG carry handle/rear sight on it for now and it seems pretty well made.

I'll put it like this:The 12" Daniel Defense M4 rail weight 13.7 ounces - counting the barrel nut, indexing pins, and threaded retaining ring. The Rifle length MOE handguards - JUST the handguards - weigh 12.13oz by comparison.

A good rail weighs about the same (or even less) than comparable sized plastic handguards, and are significantly stronger. Cheap rails weight a lot because they use more material to make up for lack of quality engineering for strength.

Edit to add: Any covers you like will work. I like both regular ladder covers, and LaRue index clips. I am likely going to switch to the new Magpul XTM panels in the near future, once they are available, along with the new XTM handstop kit.

USMCSergeant
02-26-2012, 18:30
Padded VCAS is in my opinion the perfect sling. I've had everything from standard green military issued, to single points, 3 point cluster____ .. Vcas is the way to go.

dbarhsi
02-26-2012, 18:36
Padded VCAS is in my opinion the perfect sling. I've had everything from standard green military issued, to single points, 3 point cluster____ .. Vcas is the way to go.

That looks like a nice sling. I'll keep it in mind if my $20 wonder-sling craps out. :rofl:

I'll have more than the entire rifle cost in just an Aimpoint PRO and decent rail system! :shocked:

WoodenPlank
02-26-2012, 18:38
That looks like a nice sling. I'll keep it in mind if my $20 wonder-sling craps out. :rofl:

I'll have more than the entire rifle cost in just an Aimpoint PRO and decent rail system! :shocked:

It's not that hard. They call it black rifle disease for a reason.

I forgot one other place where you get what you pay for: Optics.

dbarhsi
02-26-2012, 18:52
It's not that hard. They call it black rifle disease for a reason.

I forgot one other place where you get what you pay for: Optics.

Can't disagree with that on optics. From everything I've read, the Aimpoint PRO is a great optic for all around shooting. It's the one I intend to get. I initially wanted a red dot, but decided to go for a "real" optic.

Now, what about rail covers on that drop-in Troy hand guard/rail? Are there specific sizes?

jrs93accord
02-26-2012, 18:59

I found them second hand on AR15.COM for $80 shipped. BTW, no mods. Direct fit.

MrMurphy
02-26-2012, 19:05
If you simply want to add a light or whatever, get a MagPul MOE handguard. No need to freefloat a light.

slickt0mmy
02-26-2012, 19:06
If you simply want to add a light or whatever, get a MagPul MOE handguard. No need to freefloat a light.

^This is what I was going to say. Unless you're really set on the quad rail system, the Magpul MOE is the way to go. It's inexpensive, light, and you can add rails to it as you see fit.

WoodenPlank
02-26-2012, 19:23
I found them second hand on AR15.COM for $80 shipped. BTW, no mods. Direct fit.

Whoops. The Troy website listed that you had to remove the delta ring, but it's obviously still in tact in your photo. Hmm... :dunno:

This tangent got started when the OP asked about the rail on JRS's rifle, so the MOE handguards hadn't really crossed my mind.

Truth be told, I'm done with the concept of bolt-on rails. Too much headache, IMO. Gimme a dedicated quad rail any day of the week. Then again, I'm always tweaking my light and grip config on a rail, and a full quad rail makes this much less of a pain in the butt.

dbarhsi
02-26-2012, 19:35
Whoops. The Troy website listed that you had to remove the delta ring, but it's obviously still in tact in your photo. Hmm... :dunno:

Troy makes a non-free float drop-in version of the same rail. No mods/gunsmithing required.

"The Troy Drop In Rail is a non free floating direct replacement for all M4/AR15 carbine length plastic hand guards. The Troy Patented clamping design ensures a solid mounting platform. The Drop In provides a true optical mounting platform that increases the modularity and accuracy of the M4. No gunsmithing is required and the unit installs in less than a minute.

Amazon.com: Troy Industries Carbine/M4 Drop BattleRail (7-Inch): Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/319JMcdDNIL.@@AMEPARAM@@319JMcdDNIL

dbarhsi
02-26-2012, 19:38
^This is what I was going to say. Unless you're really set on the quad rail system, the Magpul MOE is the way to go. It's inexpensive, light, and you can add rails to it as you see fit.

Looks decent. With non-integrated rails, how solid is it? Especially with a vertical grip...

WoodenPlank
02-26-2012, 19:49
Troy makes a non-free float drop-in version of the same rail. No mods/gunsmithing required.

"The Troy Drop In Rail is a non free floating direct replacement for all M4/AR15 carbine length plastic hand guards. The Troy Patented clamping design ensures a solid mounting platform. The Drop In provides a true optical mounting platform that increases the modularity and accuracy of the M4. No gunsmithing is required and the unit installs in less than a minute.

Amazon.com: Troy Industries Carbine/M4 Drop BattleRail (7-Inch): Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/Troy-Industries-Carbine-BattleRail-7-Inch/dp/B001NH3H3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330305947&sr=8-1)

Yep, that would be the $150 Troy option I mentioned earlier.

Looks decent. With non-integrated rails, how solid is it? Especially with a vertical grip...

The few I have handled were pretty solid, but this can vary between individual sets of handguards and individual rifles. Be aware that non-free float rail systems, combined with handguards or cinched-down slings, can exert extra pressure on the barrel and affect both accuracy and point of impact. For some people, this isn't a big deal. For others, it can be a deal-breaker. You just need to decide what is best for you.

MrMurphy
02-26-2012, 23:34
Running a VFG? Get rails.

Just adding a light? MOE.

I have configured an M4 in nearly every way you can, I'm happy with how i run mine. But if i just wanted to add a light, a single rail on a MOE with the light at 10:30 would do fine.

dbarhsi
02-27-2012, 05:52
I ordered the MOE handguards and VFG. We'll see how it goes. If it's not stable enough, I can return them to Amazon no problem, as I did with the last set of rails. All I want to do is mount a VFG, light and, maybe, a laser. Hopefully, the three mounting points of the MOE hand guards will allow that while functioning decently.

WoodenPlank
02-27-2012, 14:48
I ordered the MOE handguards and VFG. We'll see how it goes. If it's not stable enough, I can return them to Amazon no problem, as I did with the last set of rails. All I want to do is mount a VFG, light and, maybe, a laser. Hopefully, the three mounting points of the MOE hand guards will allow that while functioning decently.

The light should be fine. The VFG might work fine, it might not. I wouldn't trust a laser to hold zero on standard handguards OR a plastic rail. Plus, truth be told, lasers seem a lot less useful to me on an AR unless it's IR and you have NVGs.

slickt0mmy
02-27-2012, 15:16

Mine has no problems at all. No wobble or play to speak of. It feels just as solid as any other VFG I've held. Then again, I only use my AR for plinking and the occasional run n' gun on steel targets. There may be people on here beating the crap out of their rifles who need something more high-end. But for me, the MOE VFG setup is perfect.

dbarhsi
02-28-2012, 05:30
Mine has no problems at all. No wobble or play to speak of. It feels just as solid as any other VFG I've held. Then again, I only use my AR for plinking and the occasional run n' gun on steel targets. There may be people on here beating the crap out of their rifles who need something more high-end. But for me, the MOE VFG setup is perfect.

Good to hear. Sounds perfect for my needs. The laser thing was a "what if, maybe one day" sort of thing that I'll probably never even get around to doing. :rofl:

pag23
02-28-2012, 05:35
IWC has a flashlight holder that will work on the MOE.. I have a MOE but I like the TROY DI better for my VFG and light.

Good Luck

jamesbern
02-28-2012, 09:29
Blue Force VCAS is my vote. Great sling for the money.