help me spend 1000$ [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : help me spend 1000$

thesurefire
02-26-2012, 14:36
Ive got a chunk of changes that going to go towards preps in one way or another. I'm in a unique situation because there's a very high chance I will need to relocate for work in the next 2 years, so things that are hard to move such as a 1000 gallon water tank are out.

I have:

2000 dollar emergency fund

2 BOBs fully stocked for my girlfriend and I to last 72 hours.

weapons to outfit 3 people very well and enough ammo

2 water filters good to filter about 5k gallons, and 150 gallons stored.

30 days of real food and 180 days beans rice. living items for 90 days (soap, TP, ect)

A good stock of gear related stuff (knifes, tarps, sleeping bags ect)

Some medical preps, but I don't have much medical knowledge.

Some diversified investments. I wont be spending this money on PMs.

I was considering:

More gas, I only have 20 gallons
basic generator setup, however I wouldn't want to hard wire it.
night vision
solar panels - the downside being having the move them
a pair of quality optics
a long range rifle + glass
a spare CCW
more ammo/mags
body armor/helmet/riot shield
medical training - though my girlfriend works in the industry
medical supplies - seems silly without training first

Where and how would you spend it?

nightwolf1974
02-26-2012, 14:44
medical supplies and ammo! you can't EVER have enough of those and they are tradable items as well.

kirgi08
02-26-2012, 15:14
tagged.

RWBlue
02-26-2012, 17:58
It looks like you have protection, food, water, and shelter covered.

You have bug in covered and bug out?

IMHO, the next step is long term financial planning. Did you fully fund your 401K and Roth IRA? 2K is a lot of cash, but not so much if that is all you have when you lose a job. I am working on a deeper slush funds.

ric0123
02-26-2012, 19:08
You mentioned guns and ammo, but didn't say how much.

I'd vote medical supplies and training, then gas storage, then ammo. In that order.

Assuming you're still in CO, do you have heat and shelter provisions taken care of in the event of power outage? (gas/propane/wood stockpile?). Solar is pretty awesome, but the solar sunlight output in CO isn't very good and realistically $1k isn't going to get you far there.

I think I've finally gotten my medical kit where I want it to be. I took a red cross first aid/cpr class, but I also buy pretty much every medical book I find that looks worthwhile. Amazon is good for 'Where there is no Doctor' (which you can find as a PDF online) but Half Price Books has been awesome for more family oriented books. Things with large print and Big, color pictures. Deals a lot more with day to day injuries than gunshots and things like that.

Sure a book won't sub for real training, but it's better than nothing, expecially if the GF is in the industry.

M1A Shooter
02-26-2012, 19:27
training is free or cheap if you look around. even basic red cross first aid would be a great start. the more info you have, the better you can put your things to use.

if i lived in colorado, i would be looking into a 5k generator if you dont have one, and a backup heat source because i hate being cold.

emt1581
02-26-2012, 19:36
Based on your preps I'd say save the money and add it to your fund, unless $2000 is equal to about 6 months of expenses for you.

You also say you have more than enough guns for 3 people....yet you are considering a spare CCW. I take that to mean you only have one CCW. Now I've gone above and beyond most to ensure that I am ALWAYS armed and have guns ranging from a NAA Mini. 22lr all the way up to a .460 S&W Mag. for handguns. However, I'd say a spare CCW, if you don't have one already, might be a good choice.

20 gallons of gas is not much. Then again, when compared to others it is 20 gallons more than the average person may have. A bunch of 5gal. cans and a rack/shelves to store them on might be another good choice.

As I initially said though...I'd save it...or maybe buy something that can easily be converted to cash.

-Emt1581

R_W
02-26-2012, 19:45
Get the living items up to 180 days (you will need more TP than you think if rice and beans are not in your normal diet).

Make sure the emergency fund will cover a month of mortgage and utilities.

med supplies. You go through CASES of gauze for relatively minor wounds.

Tools. Basic quality hand and yard tools, especially FILES to sharpen axes and shovels.

Babynine
02-27-2012, 11:45
You mentioned weapons, but did you lump your .22 "critter getter" into that category? The occasional small game would be great with your 180 days of beans.

ICARRY2
02-27-2012, 13:25
Your local community college should have some really good basic emergency medical classes at a really good cost.

Dont forget to know how to make basic vehicle repairs, such as brakes, clutch, water/oil pump, etc.

A good set of tools to make everyday repairs.

bdcochran
02-27-2012, 18:43
If you weren't limited to equipment, spend the money on acquiring skills or on a gym membership. You are moving. It costs about $.80 a pound to move stuff whether across town by a mover or renting a truck and doing it yourself.

If you limit it to equipment, then buy consumables like canned food that you schedule to use up within the next two years.

lawman800
02-28-2012, 08:37
Your local community college should have some really good basic emergency medical classes at a really good cost.

Dont forget to know how to make basic vehicle repairs, such as brakes, clutch, water/oil pump, etc.

A good set of tools to make everyday repairs.

Where would you buy the stuff at a JC? The student store?

ca survivor
02-28-2012, 10:03
you are good to go....

pugman
02-28-2012, 10:18
Question #1: where are you potentially moving to?

You can never go wrong with a good set of field glasses. To my eyes, Leupold's Yosemites are a steal at less than $100. Those with a nice set of Nikons, Leupolds or whatever should round out the needs of most people.

Every person should have a long range rifle of some sort. My uncle hunts in Colorado every year so long range there means a whole different thing than long range in Wisconsin. My .270 will reach out as far as I care to shoot in upper Wisconsin...

If you are staying in Colorado, I don't see anything regarding clothes or boots. Things go to s*** in whatever capacity proper fitting footwear will be hard to find.

I have a set of Danners...then bought another set which sits in a box. I've worn out sets of LaCrosse Iceman boots after 30 years of hard use...so I guess I could wear out a set of Danners so I bought a second pair on sale.

Bd's idea of a gym membership is spot on...or do what I did and arrange a barter with the gym: I watch the desk and sign up potential walk-ins from 5-7 on Tuesdays, give the nickel tour, etc...I get a free membership for me and my wife. I can even work on out machines within sight of the desk...

ICARRY2
02-28-2012, 16:51
Where would you buy the stuff at a JC? The student store?

Can you be a little more specific?

lawman800
02-28-2012, 23:20
You were talking about buying medical supplies cheap at community colleges so I was wondering about where on campus do you go. I haven't seen any medical supplies at their student stores when I was around the campuses.

BMH
02-29-2012, 10:50
Maybe get your HAM radio license and a good radio or two.

You might be able to take some gunsmithing course online.

thesurefire
02-29-2012, 16:05
Also I forgot to mention I have a number of prep related books and PDF files printed off, as well as Wikipedia downloaded and indexed.

medical supplies and ammo! you can't EVER have enough of those and they are tradable items as well.

What sort of medical supplies do you think would be in most demand for trade? Whats used most commonly?

Is there a prebuilt kit that's a good place to start and then add on?

Like this perhaps?
"http://www.amazon.com/FIRST-RESPONDER-TRAUMA-FULLY-STOCKED/dp/B000I2RM3S

You have bug in covered and bug out?

2K is a lot of cash, but not so much if that is all you have when you lose a job. I am working on a deeper slush funds.

I have both bug in and bug out covered.

I have some assets but right now I'm mainly saving for a down payment on a house, as that's my first long term financial goal.

You mentioned guns and ammo, but didn't say how much.

I'd vote medical supplies and training, then gas storage, then ammo. In that order.

Assuming you're still in CO, do you have heat and shelter provisions taken care of in the event of power outage? (gas/propane/wood stockpile?).

Realistically I have enough guns and ammo to get me through any none end of the world event. I I have 2 .22s and several thousand rounds of ammo.

Ive decided I will store at least another 20-40 gallons of gas.

I have a wood burning fireplace and a several camp stoves with about 90 days of fuel for them. I certainly could use more wood.

I also have sleeping bags and cold weather camping gear.

if i lived in colorado, i would be looking into a 5k generator if you dont have one, and a backup heat source because i hate being cold.

Ive thought about this. I have a propane heater for when the powers out. I plan to get a generator in the future but right now I'm feeling medical and more everyday use items would be a better investment.

Based on your preps I'd say save the money and add it to your fund, unless $2000 is equal to about 6 months of expenses for you.

You also say you have more than enough guns for 3 people....yet you are considering a spare CCW.

Cans and a rack/shelves to store them on might be another good choice.

As I initially said though...I'd save it...or maybe buy something that can easily be converted to cash.
-Emt1581

The $2000 would be about 2 months of full living expenses.

I CC a glock 26, the other 2 are 17's which are harder for me to conceal.

Guns are relatively easy to convert to cash.

Get the living items up to 180 days (you will need more TP than you think if rice and beans are not in your normal diet).

Make sure the emergency fund will cover a month of mortgage and utilities.

med supplies. You go through CASES of gauze for relatively minor wounds.

Tools. Basic quality hand and yard tools, especially FILES to sharpen axes and shovels.

I own diamond sharpening stones for blades, but I'll invest in a set of files because that seems pretty vital. I do have basic tools (set of screwdriver/sockets, vice grips, axe, shovel, ect) but nothing very specialized. I have pretty basic knowledge of engines.

I It costs about $.80 a pound to move stuff whether across town by a mover or renting a truck and doing it yourself.

If you limit it to equipment, then buy consumables like canned food that you schedule to use up within the next two years.

This was my thinking, I want to have to pay for as little as possible to take with me. I'd probably be sent either to NewYork of LA, both are 1000+ miles away.

Every person should have a long range rifle of some sort.

If you are staying in Colorado, I don't see anything regarding clothes or boots.

Bd's idea of a gym membership is spot on...

For long range I was thinking either 300 win mag, or .308, but possibly 30-06, and am leaning towards something from the Remington 700 series.

I'm good on footwear, but I could use more cold weather clothing, and a backup heavy coat.

I have a gym membership and work out 3 days a week. I could stand to lose 15-20 pounds but overall I'm in reasonably good shape.

Maybe get your HAM radio license and a good radio or two.

You might be able to take some gunsmithing course online.

I would like to work towards a HAM license, its just one of those things I haven't gotten around to. The same goes for gunsmithing. I don't have a radio currently able to transmit, only receive.

So I'm thinking
- living items to 180 days $200
- extra socks boxers $40
- 20 gal of gas $120
- Med kit $120
- Med kit additions $???
- Possibly a backup coat

Then either save the rest or spend it on a distance rifle.

RWBlue
02-29-2012, 16:29
Guns are relatively easy to convert to cash.

Not really.

The funny thing is, when I didn't need cash, people would offer me a fair price or more than fair price for my guns while I was at the range.

When I needed cash, it is as if they could smell the need on me and only offer me 50% of the value. After trying to negotiate a better price I had to tell them no deal and find the money elsewhere.

ICARRY2
03-01-2012, 09:54
You were talking about buying medical supplies cheap at community colleges so I was wondering about where on campus do you go. I haven't seen any medical supplies at their student stores when I was around the campuses.

I was saying you take the classes/training at a jr college. You will have to buy the medical supplies at a med supply store.

About 20 years ago I took a basic emt class at a jr college. They did offer more advanced classes though.

UneasyRider
03-01-2012, 10:05
You also say you have more than enough guns for 3 people....yet you are considering a spare CCW. I take that to mean you only have one CCW. Now I've gone above and beyond most to ensure that I am ALWAYS armed and have guns ranging from a NAA Mini. 22lr all the way up to a .460 S&W Mag. for handguns. However, I'd say a spare CCW, if you don't have one already, might be a good choice.

-Emt1581

I am with EMT here. If you only have on CCW weapon you need 1 or 2 more. Let's say that say that you have to use your pistol in a legitamate self defense situation, the state will take it away from you for about a year here in Florida while it is the lowest priority on the lab test to do list. In the mean time you have no CCW pistol. In an unstable America you may be called upon use your CCW pistol to protect your life or that of another person and not be able to replace the weapon. I vote CCW backup pistol or two.

NecoDude
03-01-2012, 22:26
Night Vision would go a long way towards security. Add in some Medical Supplies. When things go way south I'm not sure cash will be worth much. Oh and more ammo...