Theis Holsters Reviewed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Theis Holsters Reviewed

plouffedaddy
02-26-2012, 14:25
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC01278.jpg
As the popularity of concealed carry continues to grow, the number of concealed carry holster makers continues to grow right along with it. I've tried all kinds of holsters over the years in search of something that was comfortable and concealed the firearm well. For carrying along the waistband, I've found that the most comfortable way to carry is by using a hybrid leather and kydex holster.

Tommy Theis, the man behind Theis Holsters, makes some of the best IWB holsters I've ever tried. I first heard about his products from a gun forum and at the time I was primarily using Crossbreed holsters. Crossbreed make a very good product but it is an expensive product. Theis holsters start at $55 for basic models, so I figured I'd give them a shot. All Theis holsters come with a lifetime warranty and a 2 week risk free trial period. My first holster was for my PPQ:
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC01282.jpg
I was impressed with the quality of it and the design. Theis offers metal, kydex, and "J hook" clips for all of his holsters. The standard cut of the leather was what many holster makers call a 'combat cut,' except other makers charge extra for this. I also like the texture of the leather on the backside of the holster; it's finished just like on the front side. Some holster makers have a rough texture on the back which is kind of annoying because that's the side that contacts the skin of the wearer. I've worn this holster for a few days a week for about a year now and the holster looks good as new. It's held up to hot southern summer days (and the sweat absorption that comes with it) as well as cold days up in the northeast.

The second holster I purchased was for my Kahr CM9. This combination of this holster and the lightweight, slim CM9 make for a very comfortable carry experience.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC01284.jpg
The Kahr CM9 may be great for summer carry, but during the winter with the additional layers of sweatshirts and even jackets, larger firearms can be concealed. So, I was browsing www.theisholsters.com and I noticed a customer picture of a holster designed for a Beretta with a light on it. I browsed the drop down menu of the site but didn't see any light holsters. So, I sent Tommy an email asking if he could make a holster for my G22 with a TRL2 attached. I was pretty sure he wouldn't have a mold for that so I offered to send in my TRL2 as well. Within about 3 hours, I had a response saying to send it in and he would build a custom holster for me. I sent the light in along with payment and 2 weeks later I had the holster in my mailbox.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC01280-1.jpg
Here's the Thies holster next to one of my Crossbreed Supertuck's (note the difference in the cut and the texture of the Crossbreed):
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC01286.jpg

For more photos and the full review, please click on the link below:
http://gunreviewguy.blogspot.com/2012/02/theis-iwb-holster-reviews.html

FLglockdude
02-26-2012, 22:39
I have a Theis holster for my M&P9c. It is very well made and super comfortable. I would recommend it to anybody.

swinokur
02-27-2012, 05:11
Tommy was the only manufacturer willing and able to make a holster for my Smith 1076 pistol. Crossbreed wasn't interested and when I asked if I could get clips without crosses to help conceal my holster they said no.

Bye bye Crossbreed, hello Theis Holsters.

:wavey:

ATW525
02-27-2012, 09:18
I actually have one of his holsters on order, because he makes them to fit the Beretta Nano and the "other" guys don't. I was a bit concerned that it might not be up to the same quality as the holsters I'm used to, but this review has put that fear to rest.

cyborg_2099
02-27-2012, 11:34
ATW525,
I just recieved mine a couple of days ago... Let me just say' there is nothing to worry about'. They are excellent made and excellent quality.. It is by far my favorite CCW holster. The service is 2nd to none.. You will be hard pressed to find a better holster...

GRJfer
02-27-2012, 11:45
Been carrying my Theis horsehide for a Glock 26 for 14 months now. Could not be happier. Tommy makes a great product. I bought one for my son-in laws Ruger SR9, and he like it as well.

cola490
02-27-2012, 12:04
I am eagerly waiting for my 3rd holster from Theis, I agree with everything said. The only problem is, when I ordered my first one it took 4 days to receive it. With this latest one the wait is 3-4 weeks, I guess the word is out.

jb1911
02-27-2012, 12:18
I ordered a horse hide yesterday for my Nano, Tommy is the only one making a holster
for my little Beretta. All the good things said about his holsters clinched the deal. Now
I wait. BTW, I have a White Hat horse hide for my G26 that I love, you don't even know
you're wearing it. I don't see how the Theis can beat it, but we'll see.

ATW525
02-27-2012, 12:47
Well, based on all the positive comments, I placed an order for another holster. This time for my Glock 33.

xrmattaz
02-27-2012, 12:57
I have 9 of Tommy's holsters, have been using 'em for a few years now (since back before anyone ever heard his name!).

Excellent product, just as good (and less $$) than the other hybrid holsters.....AND, you get to deal with Tommy Theis, one of the finest individuals I've personally ever dealt with!

plouffedaddy
02-27-2012, 13:22
ATW525,
I just recieved mine a couple of days ago... Let me just say' there is nothing to worry about'. They are excellent made and excellent quality.. It is by far my favorite CCW holster. The service is 2nd to none.. You will be hard pressed to find a better holster...

^^^Agreed. Problem is---there's only one of him and sooo many of us! :crying:

T-Rod45
02-27-2012, 13:40
Ordered 7 or 8 holsters from Tommy, 3 for me and the rest for friends/family. Can't say enough good things about him an his products!

vinstang67
02-27-2012, 22:31
I have one from him.
Do you get the kydex scraped like below?

swinokur
02-28-2012, 05:15
Send him an email with the Pic. Tommy will make it right. He's a totally stand up business man

T-Rod45
02-28-2012, 05:33
I have one from him.
Do you get the kydex scraped like below?

Wait, is that a scrape on the finish, or just excess kydex? If it's a scrape then I've never seen the issue in any of mine... :dunno:

vinstang67
02-28-2012, 05:36
Wait, is that a scrape on the finish, or just excess kydex? If it's a scrape then I've never seen the issue in any of mine... :dunno:

The corner of the ejection port is scraping the kydex when draw.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

T-Rod45
02-28-2012, 05:59
The corner of the ejection port is scraping the kydex when draw.

So it's just kydex "debris" then? If that's the case just reholster and draw the gun a few dozen times and it should break in the kydex and not happen anymore... Whenever I get a new Theis Holster I do this about 30-40 times before I carry it. I find that after that the kydex smooths and fits perfectly.

vinstang67
02-28-2012, 12:22
So it's just kydex "debris" then? If that's the case just reholster and draw the gun a few dozen times and it should break in the kydex and not happen anymore... Whenever I get a new Theis Holster I do this about 30-40 times before I carry it. I find that after that the kydex smooths and fits perfectly.

Yes, the kydex debris.
The retention is at the trigger guard and the ejection port which where the kydex gets scraped off.

Did you get the debris like mine at all?

T-Rod45
02-28-2012, 14:24
Yes, the kydex debris.
The retention is at the trigger guard and the ejection port which where the kydex gets scraped off.

Did you get the debris like mine at all?

Yes that's perfectly normal. You need to break it in. Hold the holster in your hand and stick the gun (unloaded of course) in and out of the holster over and over again until you get tired. Blow out the excess kydex shavings an wipe off the gun. Make sure all the shavings are out of the holster and you should be good to go. Like I said, I do this when I first get the holster about 30-40 times and it's perfect.

MinnesnowtaWild
02-29-2012, 00:04
I have two questions for you guys:

-Does this style of kydex/leather holster produce noticeable wear quickly?
-How is the retention on them? Is it similar to the Glock sport/combat holster?

pistolcompetitor
02-29-2012, 02:56
I have 2 of Tommy's holsters, one for my G19 and one for my G17. I'm totally happy. The Kydex shavings were part of the break-in period and after a couple of dozen draw strokes there were no more shavings.

Just my observation but after trying the Crossbreed super tuck deluxe and the CompTac MTAC, the Theis holster does the best job of covering the trigger guard-- it has the closest fit and the area is covered 100%. Kinda looks like the OP's PPQ. Nothing's getting into the guard while my Glocks are holstered. The differences between the 3 holsters probably don't mean too much in real life, but I just feel better knowing how well the trigger is covered.

You mean wear on the holster or wear on the Glock? I'm not too worried about the Glock. As for the holster, I've had the one for my G19 for about 6 months. About 200 draw strokes later I haven't noticed any holster wear that's affecting retention. Don't know the answer to your second question.

T-Rod45
02-29-2012, 07:47

As far as wear on Glocks, I've been carrying my 26 in one for about 18 months and say, 300 draws later? No visable wear to the finish.

I can't compare the retention to the sport/combat, but a broken in holster has retention enough to full out sprint and jump up and down until your tired without a budge.

MinnesnowtaWild
02-29-2012, 23:15
As far as wear on Glocks, I've been carrying my 26 in one for about 18 months and say, 300 draws later? No visable wear to the finish.

I can't compare the retention to the sport/combat, but a broken in holster has retention enough to full out sprint and jump up and down until your tired without a budge.

Thank you. :wavey:

mdsn969
03-02-2012, 09:45
Tommy was the only manufacturer willing and able to make a holster for my Smith 1076 pistol. Crossbreed wasn't interested and when I asked if I could get clips without crosses to help conceal my holster they said no.

:wavey:

That is the exact reason I went with Tommy as well. Turns out his holsters are amazing and Tommy is a joy to work with...

ChadN.
03-02-2012, 16:10
Got a Theis for my G19, and ordering another as soon as I pick up a G23 or a USPc40.

holsters = Tommy Theis
belts = Jim "The Beltman" Spiedel (throwing this one out there for people interested in a good belt, too bad they currently do not make sharkskin at the moment)

These two know how to make quality gear.

Kydex shavings are normal, you'll see this in any kydex shell. Break in period is normal, which should happen anyway since you should be practicing your draw with any holster you use.

T-Rod45
03-02-2012, 16:25
Got a Theis for my G19, and ordering another as soon as I pick up a G23 or a USPc40...

Just an FYI, the mold for the 26/27/19/23 are the same. I use the Theis holster for my G26 when carrying my G23. I figure with the money I saved I'll order a mag holder from Tommy for my G23 and LC9. :cool:

Streetglider08
03-02-2012, 16:27
I love my THEIS holster. It's great. Blows competition out of the water in price quality and customer service. Just give him a shot. You won't be sorry.

http://img.tapatalk.com/47e059ce-575d-2b8a.jpg

jb1911
03-02-2012, 17:36
I have a White Hat horse hide for my G26 and I haven't experienced any kydex shavings at all. Not even a little bit.

pistolcompetitor
03-02-2012, 17:43
<deleted>

Streetglider08
03-02-2012, 17:44
I have no kydex shaving either on my tommy theis. You want a cookie?

I think the reason is some have more retention then others and this is only temporary. If you ask tommy I'm sure he'd have a good explanation.

crash_gsxr750
03-02-2012, 20:13
I just received my Tommy Theis holster for my G30SF on monday and wear it every night when i get home from work trying to break in the leather, i opted for the horse hide and i couldn't be happier. I never though carrying a G30 could feel so comfortable and hide so well

Im so glad someone on GT recommended him to me, nothing like getting a fantastic product from a great guy at a great price.

I will be ordering one for my G19 in the future.

leper65
03-02-2012, 20:21
I ordered a horsehide holster from Tommy 2 weeks ago for Glock 38, only 1 or 2 more weeks to go!

jb1911
03-03-2012, 09:51
I have no kydex shaving either on my tommy theis. You want a cookie?

I think the reason is some have more retention then others and this is only temporary. If you ask tommy I'm sure he'd have a good explanation.

Do you have a problem, Sir?

The picture of the kydex shavings shows me that there is something wrong with the fit. I would not be happy if that were my holster, then again, I'm not a fanboy.

mdsn969
03-03-2012, 10:08

The picture of the kydex shavings shows me that there is something wrong with the fit. I would not be happy if that were my holster, then again, I'm not a fanboy.

Where did that come from??? :shocked:

We are fans of Tommy's holsters because they work exceptionally well, are priced right, and Tommy is a great guy...

T-Rod45
03-03-2012, 10:18

:upeyes:

There must be something wrong with the fit on the 3 I own and the other 5 I've ordered for friends, you're right. I mean, they only took 2 minutes to break in and fit perfectly but, there were shavings way back when I first got them, so there must be something wrong... Burning them as we speak. I'm so unhappy....

Streetglider08
03-03-2012, 10:37

There was no reason to come on here and throw your 2 cents in a thread that other people are trying to show appreciation for someone's business. U saw one bad picture and decided to comment. Typical d-bag. I understand it's a public forum but any civil would realize this thread is to appreciate and give reviews on the TT holster. Even if you did want to put your two cents in you didn't need to drop another companies name. Show some respect. Who's the fan boy?

vinstang67
03-03-2012, 11:18
I did not mean to post the picture as a bad pic.
I simply wanted to see and hear how others are.

Tommy's customer service is excellent.
I initially ordered his holster for PT1911ALR but i sold the gun while waiting.
He was willing to exchange, so I sent it back to him, in return, he sent me one for G30 but it got lost in transit.
He generously sent me another one at his loss immediately.

A few weeks later, the lost one showed up so I sent it back to him.

I cannot complain at all for his service.

I did holster/unholster close to 100 times bust still getting shaving so I think I will get with him.

OP,
I dis not mean to hijack your theread.
I am sorry if you felt that way.

crash_gsxr750
03-03-2012, 13:17
How long before the leather/kydex breaks in

I'm trying to wear it as much as possible

supatrucka
03-04-2012, 06:56
I have 2 and I love em.

cola490
03-08-2012, 04:00
Just received my 3rd TT, as usual the fit and finish are very good. The only problem is that the delivery time is increasing. The delivery time for the 1st holster was less than a week, the latest one was 30 days. It is still worth the wait.

In a email from Tommy, he said he is now building holsters full time, so maybe the time will get shorter.

crash_gsxr750
03-08-2012, 05:10
Just received my 3rd TT, as usual the fit and finish are very good. The only problem is that the delivery time is increasing. The delivery time for the 1st holster was less than a week, the latest one was 30 days. It is still worth the wait.

In a email from Tommy, he said he is now building holsters full time, so maybe the time will get shorter.

If you guys would stop ordering for awhile I'd bet his delivery times would improve