Do you car seats influence your holster choice? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you car seats influence your holster choice?

East River Guide
02-26-2012, 18:28
OK, I'm sure that there may be people who based their car selection around their carry choices but I'm not there (yet) and have to work with what I have. Most of my driving is done in a car that has a driver's seat with lateral support or bolstering that conflicts with some carry options. I like to carry OWB at 4:00- I can't get comfortable with 1:00 IWB and 3:00 OWB doesn't conceal as well for me. But when I sit in the car with a 4:00 carry the bolstered seats are problem- I am basically sitting or leaning on the gun. I could take the gun out of the holster but there are many times when I have passengers that may have an issue with that. Acknowledging the screw them if they have a problem with guns idea, I'd still like to find a way to maintain a concealed carry in the car without a callous on my back and a chiropractor on speed dial.

Let's say we are going to stick with 4:00 as the desired carry position The best I have come up with is carrying a short stack gun (e.g. my Glock 26 or Kahr PM9 seem to work the best) in a forward canted belt holster that I can slide forward on my belt when I get in the car. Between the ability to slide the holster all the way up to the 3:00 belt loop, the forward cant and the short handle, the gun doesn't stick behind me enough to be unbearable. I'm currently using a Galco Stinger (the Stinger is easier to slide to 3:00 and back than the double looped slide holsters I tried) but would be interested in other options if anyone has tackled these issues successfully.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

xmanhockey7
02-26-2012, 18:37
Shoulder holsters tend to work well for car carry. Possibly consider trying that.

collim1
02-26-2012, 18:51
I find a high ride holster helps when sitting in the car. I also carry a 3:00-3:30. I work patrol, so I ride 48+ hrs a week in the car. I like a mid to high ride holster to keep the gun out of my kidneys.

About 5 times a year I take ~700mi car trip to visit family. Its about 10hrs in the car, 12+ if we hit delays. For that trip I prefer ankle carry and keep my belt line clear, and my belt nice and loose for comfort. I put my jframe on the ankle becuase I like to have one on my body, plus ankle carry is easy to reach in the car.

I like to have a full size pistol like my P220 in the center console.

DaneA
02-26-2012, 19:38
I guess it depends on your frame size. I ride with mine about 3:30 (g26 w/ cbst fully canted forward) and don't have a problem in any of the seats I have had. Most of them bolstered. For me there seems to be a pocket right there. Have you tried adjusting the seat a bit to see if there is a comfortable spot there somewhere?

Schaffer
02-26-2012, 22:38
Take it out and slip it in between the console and the seat.

If whoever is riding in the car has a problem. Well they can walk.

NEOH212
02-27-2012, 00:48
No, I like functionality and comfort. I spend very little time in the car so I really don't care if the holster I carry isn't the most comfortable in the car. With that said, I have never had a holster that didn't work well in the car with the exception of the Blackhawk Serpa.

Bill Lumberg
02-27-2012, 06:57
No. Most of my holsters are high ride. Those that aren't aren't a big deal. Cars that cause a problem with a holster are usually uncomfortable regardless.

SouthernBoyVA
02-27-2012, 07:09
I am very car anal so my car comes first when I am carrying in it... which is most of the time. Fortunately for me and my car, I have a system that works and as long as I am careful, it works well. I move my holster towards the front of my body once I am in the car so the base of the magazine doesn't contact my seat back bolster the seat belt buckle. When entering and exiting, I move my holster as far back on my strong side as my belt loops will allow and just watch that the holster or gun don't rub the leather on my steering wheel.

For those times when I am on a long drive, the gun goes either in one of my cup holders or my driver's side map pocket.

East River Guide
02-27-2012, 11:08
Cars that cause a problem with a holster are usually uncomfortable regardless.

I guess YMMV. It's not a problem in my Silverado- bench seats make it easy to carry however. My car is a Lexus GS and to me it is very comfortable, just not while sitting on a gun.

East River Guide
02-27-2012, 11:11
I move my holster towards the front of my body once I am in the car so the base of the magazine doesn't contact my seat back bolster the seat belt buckle. When entering and exiting, I move my holster as far back on my strong side as my belt loops will allow and just watch that the holster or gun don't rub the leather on my steering wheel.

I'll have to try that. I guess the trade off is limiting rearward positioning after you get out of the car, but maybe it would be enough to get to 3:30 if the belt loop is far enough back.

Patchman
02-27-2012, 12:14
I normally carry at 3:00 o'clock. Every once in a while the gun/holster is at the 4:00 o'clock position and I notice it.

So have you tried slipping the OWB holster more forward while driving? Then when you get to your destination, slide the holster combo back to your normal position.

And if I may add, the gun at the 3:00 o'clock position is much easier to access while in a car, should you ever need to. Always remember to unbuckle your seat belt whenever you think "danger."

Patchman
02-27-2012, 12:20
I'll have to try that. I guess the trade off is limiting rearward positioning after you get out of the car, but maybe it would be enough to get to 3:30 if the belt loop is far enough back.

If it's that much of a problem, a tailor can reposition the belt loops. Where I'm at, it's $3 per loop.

And depending on how close the loops are to each other, some pants I'll just skip using a loop. But you would need a good gun belt for that.

East River Guide
02-27-2012, 13:14
So have you tried slipping the OWB holster more forward while driving? "

Yeah, that's what I meant by "slide the holster all the way up to the 3:00 belt loop"- basically sliding it on the belt as far forward as I can. It's why I like the simple belt holsters (I can slide them), but the limiter is the 3:00 belt loop.