Another TV series - 'Doomsday Bunkers' [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another TV series - 'Doomsday Bunkers'

daystrom
02-27-2012, 07:05
Discovery Channel has a 'Doomsday Preppers' like show coming on called 'Doomsday Bunkers'.

Starts Wednesday March 7th at 10:00 PM EST.

Might be worth checking out!

B.Reid
02-27-2012, 09:37
I wonder if anyone at the networks ever come up with an original idea?

ICARRY2
02-27-2012, 20:33
Hopefully, these people will be a little more normal than some of the flakes on doomsday preppers.

jellis11
02-27-2012, 20:37
Just saw a commercial for that about five minutes ago... I felt like those people were gonna come shoot me through my tv!

ray9898
02-27-2012, 20:39
They end of the world in December 2012 is spurring all this attention.

runcible68
02-29-2012, 00:58
Hey, don't you have 2 million bucks to plunk down on a condo in a converted missile silo?

I think the 70 people it could house would kill each other out of stir craziness long before their bunker was breached by North Korean Nazi Zombies!

JDSTG58
02-29-2012, 18:58

TangoFoxtrot
03-02-2012, 10:00
Hopefully, these people will be a little more normal than some of the flakes on doomsday preppers.

I'm glad someone else sees this too. I can't see why you would want the exposure. I always thought you should stay under the radar and not let outsiders in for security purposes. I don't know maybe I'm crazy!:supergrin:

wjv
03-02-2012, 13:11
I wonder if anyone at the networks ever come up with an original idea?

I'm going to produce a new show called Doomsday Hotties. . . . Think I'll start with a casting call. . .

B.Reid
03-02-2012, 17:33
I'm going to produce a new show called Doomsday Hotties. . . . Think I'll start with a casting call. . .

Can I help with that?

dhv
03-03-2012, 06:12
Are you a hottie?

redbrd
03-03-2012, 08:19
Yep Doomsday Prepper's while fun to watch has gotten crazier and crazier. Looks like it will more likely end up being counter productive as anyone that does prepare will be lumped up with the nuts on the show.

survive1999
03-04-2012, 01:23
I'm glad someone else sees this too. I can't see why you would want the exposure. I always thought you should stay under the radar and not let outsiders in for security purposes. I don't know maybe I'm crazy!:supergrin:

The first rule of Survival Club is you don't talk about Survival Club.....

vtbluegrass
03-05-2012, 00:44
So after there is no pole shift or giant volcano eruption or zombie apocolypse in December I got an idea for a great show. "Doomsday Bunker Auction Hunters" The premise is that after going broke preparing for the end of the world the preppers now have to auction of their wares to make ends meet.

For the kids "Doomsday Therapy"

"Doomsday Hoarding" After your kids left the house and never speak to you again things really got out of hand

"Holmes on Bunkers" Lets you know that shoddy plumbing, ventilation, and a leak in the foundation doomed you before the apacolypse had a chance to.

TangoFoxtrot
03-05-2012, 05:37
The first rule of Survival Club is you don't talk about Survival Club.....

Rule 1A: Only talk about the survival club with other members in private.

NDCent
03-05-2012, 06:59
So after there is no pole shift or giant volcano eruption or zombie apocolypse in December I got an idea for a great show. "Doomsday Bunker Auction Hunters" The premise is that after going broke preparing for the end of the world the preppers now have to auction of their wares to make ends meet.

For the kids "Doomsday Therapy"

"Doomsday Hoarding" After your kids left the house and never speak to you again things really got out of hand

"Holmes on Bunkers" Lets you know that shoddy plumbing, ventilation, and a leak in the foundation doomed you before the apacolypse had a chance to.

The wife was watching a show last night called "OCD Horders", or something close to that. They said the guy started by hoarding food for emergency or crisis type events. :faint:

kirgi08
03-05-2012, 09:44
I started "hoarding" for employment or lack of reasons.'08.

wjv
03-07-2012, 18:30
Are you a hottie?

Hell no!

That's why I have to pretend that I'm a big shot television producer! :supergrin:

Wil Ufgood
03-07-2012, 21:29
Watching, what's the point of having a bunker if someone can just come and dig up your generator

M1A Shooter
03-07-2012, 21:55
i too hope this doesnt get as goofy as the preppers show. it was ok with a hint of odd at the beginning, and now its reversed into a hint of ok... maybe.

the Holmes on Bunkers is hilarious.

nursetim
03-08-2012, 00:22
The guy buying the shelter has a company called 88 tactical. The few ab idiots I saw had 88 tattooed all over the place. It stands for H so 88 = HH = heil hitler. The guy is a former cop, I'm pretty sure he knows this, right?

Still showed some cool stuff in it.

The guys kid's name is Klaus, yeah he's a skinheaded ab.

MoneyMaker
03-08-2012, 04:21
yeah 1.5 millino dollar apartments buried beneath the ground with ventalation a child could drop a grenade down,bwahahahahahahahahaha People spending $300,000 for preps,Unreal what the rich spend money on just to try to keep there wealthy life styles,Guess what nothing is gonna happen in this life time except the rich get richer n the poor well they survive.

MoneyMaker
03-08-2012, 04:24
Hey, don't you have 2 million bucks to plunk down on a condo in a converted missile silo?

I think the 70 people it could house would kill each other out of stir craziness long before their bunker was breached by North Korean Nazi Zombies!

Yeah its not hard to find his hole in kansas he has:rofl:Then he had some old wore out looking milf show up to tour his apartments:rofl:

TangoFoxtrot
03-08-2012, 05:48
Its a lot of money to invest on a maybe! Did anyone here the new commercial jingle for DD preppers? It sounds like a total mockery to the prep world. We all have our reasons to prep, but now a lot of outsiders will be laughing harder when the hear the word Preppers. Thanks to the way the protraited us on this show.

Boogiefan
03-08-2012, 05:58
Shows like that boost the economy for most conservatives, so it's a good thing. More guns are ammo are sold. Military surplus sales also increase. Most of these are american owned Mom and Pop companies if you buy in bulk. More money in a conservative owned small business' pocket is great and I have no dog in the fight.

kirgi08
03-08-2012, 06:55
Its a lot of money to invest on a maybe! Did anyone here the new commercial jingle for DD preppers? It sounds like a total mockery to the prep world. We all have our reasons to prep, but now a lot of outsiders will be laughing harder when the hear the word Preppers. Thanks to the way the protraited us on this show.

Let them laugh,while there in a food line and were eating well.'08.

Who the heck cares what others think.

sebecman
03-08-2012, 07:35

So what? The harder they laugh the more I smile. I don't share, so I don't care.

Doomsday-Prepper
03-08-2012, 07:51
i thnk alot of these bunkers serve for more than just the end of the world..

take the tornadoes that just struck indiana and kentucky..ayone who had a bunker up there had very little to worry about..they were safe fromthe tornadoe...they are eating and drinking and if there house was destroyed they also have a place to stay rather than a over packed shelter filled with desperate and depressed people...
one year i evacuated m home due to a hurricane and went to a middle school about 2 hours away for 2 days..it was not a pleasent experience at all...wish i had my own bunker then ..thats for sure lol

Donn57
03-08-2012, 08:53
i thnk alot of these bunkers serve for more than just the end of the world..

take the tornadoes that just struck indiana and kentucky..ayone who had a bunker up there had very little to worry about..they were safe fromthe tornadoe...they are eating and drinking and if there house was destroyed they also have a place to stay rather than a over packed shelter filled with desperate and depressed people...
one year i evacuated m home due to a hurricane and went to a middle school about 2 hours away for 2 days..it was not a pleasent experience at all...wish i had my own bunker then ..thats for sure lol

Unless your bunker is in your back yard, it is useless for tornadoes or other sudden disasters. It is a place to go if your home is destroyed assuming you survived the destruction in the first place, but if your bunker is hours away from where your normal life is are you going to commute several hours a day to work?

But I hope this guy keeps selling bunkers. It is keeping folks working. He needs to fire his son, tho. He's a tool.

RMD
03-08-2012, 08:58
yeah 1.5 millino dollar apartments buried beneath the ground with ventalation a child could drop a grenade down...

Or just plug with a potato :)

Donn57
03-08-2012, 09:20

The ventilation system does seem to the Achilles heel of these bunkers. The door couldn't be opened with three pounds of explosives (I wonder if four pounds would have worked), but the ventilation stack has got to be around there somewhere, so I may not be able to get in, but I could certainly force the occupants to come out.

cowboy1964
03-08-2012, 09:25
I also noticed after the blast that there was a hole in the frame wide enough to pour gasoline or smoke in to.

How much gas would you need for even a small generator for six months? A LOT. I didn't see them address that at all. And it would have to be replaced every year or so even when the bunker is in standby mode. It's not like you're going to be able to schedule a 5000 gallon fuel delivery after argmadeggon.

kirgi08
03-08-2012, 10:14
I also noticed after the blast that there was a hole in the frame wide enough to pour gasoline or smoke in to.

How much gas would you need for even a small generator for six months? A LOT. I didn't see them address that at all. And it would have to be replaced every year or so even when the bunker is in standby mode. It's not like you're going to be able to schedule a 5000 gallon fuel delivery after armageddon.

Natural gas would be the best choice in a "bunker" type set up.Also a 12v battery system.As ta ventilation,if you leave your stacks viewable your gonna have a bunch of problems.'08.

nursetim
03-08-2012, 13:55
Donn57, it looked like the explosive was tannerite, not a very high order explosive. I would have been more impressed with the use of C4 or shaped charge.

G29Reload
03-08-2012, 14:29

Actually, not that easy.

Its not just a straight pipe down. They can be screened and baffled. There are methods and they have thought this out.

I wondered about the openings generally. One of the companies down in TX that does pre-fabbed shelters, I think its radius engineering, has a door opening that is set up so that it can be opened by the occupants if 10 tons lands on it (jack inside) baffled tear gas dispensers to repel attackers, gun ports, etc.

There is cost that can be attached to making such an attempt.

G29Reload
03-08-2012, 14:32
Natural gas would be the best choice in a "bunker" type set up.

Nope.

Alcohol stoves. That's another feature of the Radius engineering people. I agree it seems easiest to handle in that circumstance.

Gas needs to be outside and ventilated. I can leak, creep around and accumulate. Boom.

MoneyMaker
03-08-2012, 16:38
yep regardless there has to be generator exhaust fume lines,solar panels,exhausting of vents for toilets or all the gas a human body makes plus any other device they are using,if not they will explode thereselves,So if it can be located you can ruin there day real fast,why you can obsolete there power grid and then fill there venting up with Liquid chlorine and ammonia products,Whewwwwwwwwww they will leave them bunkers

MoneyMaker
03-08-2012, 16:41
Its all guberment conspiracy i tell ya,Why would the guberment let some rich yahoo take over the old silo missle base in Kansas to make these underground structures and then put it on nation tv where his land is and that he is even using the silo shutes as the apartment foundations?Even show the road signs stating where this is on national television.

farmer-dave
03-08-2012, 18:15
I was a little disgusted with the program, the florida guy seemed pretty normal and had some reasoning with his prepping, but he sure went full retard with his yelling out zombie apocolypse for their shooting drills. Seriously if your going to be on tv nock that crap out.

The skinhead guy, I'm amazed discovery gave him all the free advertizing. At least that's what I assumed with his 88 crap. I'm sure by using the bunker as part of his business he can take that bunker right off his taxes, business expense you know.

I hope all the pvc venting I was seeing on those bunkers was just a diversionary for the real thing. Not impressed with his doors. If they shot at it with a 50bmg and atacked it with a milwaukee sawzall, I might have been more impressed. I'm assuming they get by with sacrifical anodes to prevent corrosion on that bunker.

Overally I felt it really protrayed preppers in piss poor light.

G29Reload
03-08-2012, 21:24
yep regardless there has to be generator exhaust fume lines,

Nope. That's only for hanging out under normal conditions. If you were to go into the bunker for 30 days post nuke blast, batteries.

exhausting of vents for toilets or all the gas a human body makes plus any other device they are using,if not they will explode thereselves,

Positive air pressure out the return.

So if it can be located you can ruin there day real fast,why you can obsolete there power grid and then fill there venting up with Liquid chlorine and ammonia products,Whewwwwwwwwww they will leave them bunkers

Nope. Positive air pressure, interlocks, baffles. NBC grade air intakes filter everything out.

Plus: If its so bad they can't leave the shelter, it will be too bad for anyone to be outside, above ground.

If it isn't, then you and your team are outside defending and clearing.

If you're cornered and outnumbered, you are no matter where you are…problem becomes conventional again.

Camouflage works wonders too. A lot of your above ground signature can be concealed.

http://www.bomb-shelter.net/rc8-brochure.php

MoneyMaker
03-08-2012, 22:00
But who really has the money to do all that for a what if ? If thats the case there is gonna be alot of inbreeding arkansas types after they try to rebuild civilization,hahahahahahahahaha

MoneyMaker
03-08-2012, 22:05
Exhausting of hot, moist, spent air is facilitated through the air outlet manifold on the generator exhaust pipe through the air outlet pipe to vent at ground level. This is efficient method of exhausting spent air, especially when resisting intruder assaults is a critical part of the shelter design.

MoneyMaker
03-08-2012, 22:09
NBC grade air intakes filter everything out

so have they been tested to not fail under extreme solvents being poured down there exhaust /vent tubes?

kirgi08
03-08-2012, 23:51
Natural gas would be the best choice in a "bunker" type set up.Also a 12v battery system.As ta ventilation,if you leave your stacks viewable your gonna have a bunch of problems.'08.

Nope.

Alcohol stoves. That's another feature of the Radius engineering people. I agree it seems easiest to handle in that circumstance.

Gas needs to be outside and ventilated. I can leak, creep around and accumulate. Boom.

I was referring ta power generation,The tank can be plumbed and secured/ventilation ect.'08.

cowboy1964
03-09-2012, 00:49
As ta ventilation,if you leave your stacks viewable your gonna have a bunch of problems.'08.

The only bunker worth a darn is one that cannot be found. Or one that is guarded top-side by troops.

kirgi08
03-09-2012, 04:06
One that is guarded by troops will be found,discretion is the only part of valor that's worthwhile.'08.

Donn57
03-09-2012, 09:13
NBC grade air intakes filter everything out

so have they been tested to not fail under extreme solvents being poured down there exhaust /vent tubes?

If you're underground, you have to have some type of air intake. If that air intake can be located, it can be disabled.

G29Reload
03-09-2012, 11:53
If you're underground, you have to have some type of air intake. If that air intake can be located, it can be disabled.

Except it can't be located by dead people not surviving what drove the shelterists underground.

And if they're not dead from what's topside, the insiders downunder emerge and defend as you would with any compound under attack.

From whatever happened earlier, those inside the shelter will be fed, showered, clean and dressed in relatively good health whereas what's left of above ground dwellers might be quite bedraggled, already attacking because…they have not.

My money is on the shelterists who have survived the gamma burst, flying debris, initial high radiation, chemical weapons and start over clean vs the….zeds….

M1A Shooter
03-09-2012, 19:20
But who really has the money to do all that for a what if ? If thats the case there is gonna be alot of inbreeding arkansas types after they try to rebuild civilization,hahahahahahahahaha

do you happen to be from missouri? i grew up in missouri and thats the only place ive ever heard people talk about inbred arkansas people. :rofl:

farmer-dave
03-09-2012, 19:30
I've heard that inbred thing in arkansas too, must be a midwest joke, I've actually got some relation in arkansas.

pmwglock19
03-12-2012, 13:34
I watched it and won;t again. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't afford a $450,000 bunker plus preps. This must be a show for the RICH preppers.

Donn57
03-12-2012, 14:50
Except it can't be located by dead people not surviving what drove the shelterists underground.

And if they're not dead from what's topside, the insiders downunder emerge and defend as you would with any compound under attack.

That will probably work out for them just fine as long as whatever disaster occurs kills everyone who isn't in a bunker. That would limit their preparedness to a pretty narrow slice of the disaster pie.

Donn57
03-12-2012, 14:53
I watched it and won;t again. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't afford a $450,000 bunker plus preps. This must be a show for the RICH preppers.

I don't think it is intended to be a how-to program. It obviously portrays wealthy preppers, but that doesn't mean it isn't just generally entertaining.

I'm not sure the concept is sustainable for too many episodes, tho.

kirgi08
03-13-2012, 06:49

You do it over 20+ years,you'll not need ta dump that much at one time.'08.

cowboy1964
03-14-2012, 17:17
I would love to own a former ICBM bunker. 20,000 square feet? Nice.

Of course everyone will know where it is though. That's the down side.

G29Reload
03-14-2012, 18:14
I would love to own a former ICBM bunker. 20,000 square feet? Nice.

Of course everyone will know where it is though. That's the down side.

You know, it also occurred to me that an error or oversight could also leave it on someone's target list. Somewhere overseas, in China, or Russia, someone didn't get the updated memo or listing from Command, or there was some disbelief that it wasn't being used any more, or that it could be commandeered and used again…and instead of skating on the apocalypse, they go FIRST! Poof!

Wil Ufgood
03-14-2012, 21:36
What was up with tonight's episode? I mean the mock flamethrower and "spike mallet". If I had kids I don't know if those would be options I would go for. JMHO

G29Reload
03-14-2012, 23:05
What was up with tonight's episode? I mean the mock flamethrower and "spike mallet". If I had kids I don't know if those would be options I would go for. JMHO

I just saw that! The flamethrower was awesome. I just wonder if it got used it could suck the oxygen out of the bunker. The spikes are so...GT mall ninja....I'd be more worried they d deploy accidentally.:shocked:

But I kinda like em too. :supergrin:

farmer-dave
03-15-2012, 19:15
I was most impressed with the underground pool, via the fiberglass shelter, at least they have their long term water supply set up.

Mr.Pliskin
03-16-2012, 08:41
Their boobie traps look like something a 10 year old would think up.

Donn57
03-16-2012, 10:29
Their boobie traps look like something a 10 year old would think up.

Agreed. I would have thought that a better solution would have been some sort of gun port built into the bulletproof door.

Warp
03-16-2012, 16:29
Rule 1A: Only talk about the survival club with other members in private.

Yet here we are on a public message forum.

Oops.

TangoFoxtrot
03-20-2012, 04:47
Yet here we are on a public message forum.

Oops.

Oops your wrong again! My identity or location is never revealed.

TangoFoxtrot
03-20-2012, 04:50
Those boobie traps are for the idiots stupid enough to purchase them. I'm sure there are better options to add.

ca survivor
03-20-2012, 11:38
Let them laugh,while there in a food line and were eating well.'08.

Who the heck cares what others think.
a gallon of gas into the ventilation shaft will get you out....just saying

kirgi08
03-20-2012, 12:13
No it won't.'08.

Warp
03-20-2012, 20:20
Oops your wrong again! My identity or location is never revealed.

You might be amazed what some of the more savvy people and organizations can find.

Chances are they'll never have a good enough reason to care about you, but I find it more than a little ironic when people talk about "the first rule of survival club...", or similar, on a message forum.

nursetim
03-22-2012, 17:42
Wow, no one's radar was pinged by "tactical 88"? Really? SAOFR

Mr Spock
03-22-2012, 17:58
You do it over 20+ years,you'll not need ta dump that much at one time.'08.

I guess if these people are convinced the world will end in December they don't mind a 20-30 year mortgage for their new subterranean home...

4TS&W
03-22-2012, 18:03
I've heard that inbred thing in arkansas too, must be a midwest joke, I've actually got some relation in arkansas.

Who, Mom/Sister? :rofl:

J/K

Lampshade
03-22-2012, 21:25
Wow, no one's radar was pinged by "tactical 88"? Really? SAOFR

Yea, this was mentioned in another thread.

Shaved head. Lives in Nebraska. Concerned about civil unrest. I think somebody said his son is named "Klaus."

The pieces come together, lol.

kirgi08
03-22-2012, 23:12
I guess if these people are convinced the world will end in December they don't mind a 20-30 year mortgage for their new subterranean home...

If that prediction holds true,no amount of preps are gonna matter.'08.

TangoFoxtrot
03-23-2012, 04:47
You might be amazed what some of the more savvy people and organizations can find.

Chances are they'll never have a good enough reason to care about you, but I find it more than a little ironic when people talk about "the first rule of survival club...", or similar, on a message forum.

If they want to find me.. whatever! Why they would want to find me?...I doubt it. There are real whackos out their that need to be found and medicated.

Mr Spock
03-23-2012, 06:23
If that prediction holds true,no amount of preps are gonna matter.'08.

Except, that prediction will hold the same weight as the Christian nutjob who said the rapture was going to happen several months ago... So these people are going to have to pay for these things.

kirgi08
03-23-2012, 06:26
Already have.'08.

shotgunred
03-24-2012, 22:41
No it won't.'08.

A garbage bag and some duct tape would. Seal the ventilation pipes and wait. Most people like to breathe.

DreamWeaver88
03-25-2012, 10:52
The ventilation system does seem to the Achilles heel of these bunkers. The door couldn't be opened with three pounds of explosives (I wonder if four pounds would have worked), but the ventilation stack has got to be around there somewhere, so I may not be able to get in, but I could certainly force the occupants to come out.

What gets me about these bunkers is, they put some thought into making blast proof (for the most part I guess) doors that you can't get into.....but what about getting out of the bunker?

What if someone wants in and can't get in......then they decide to park a car on your bunker door, just for the hell of it. Good luck ever getting out.

I'd definitely want some kind of hydraulic ram to push the door open.

Texas357
03-25-2012, 23:15
My grandfather was an engineer, designed oil rigs. One of the client companies was run by a real a-hole, and wanted him to design a fallout shelter for him, as an add-on to an oil rig contract. Thing is, fallout shelters were mostly concrete, and this was a steel company. He did it anyway, to keep the oil rig contract, and the guy ends up having someone else build the thing.

My grandfather swore that if there ever had been a nuclear war, he would have braved the fallout to go to this guy's bunker and weld the hatch shut, just so that the post-apocalyptic world would not be populated by this a-hole's descendants.

Keep your contractors and suppliers happy.

TangoFoxtrot
03-26-2012, 02:21
Yea, this was mentioned in another thread.

Shaved head. Lives in Nebraska. Concerned about civil unrest. I think somebody said his son is named "Klaus."

The pieces come together, lol.

Hmmmm are you implying something :rofl:

blueyedmule
03-26-2012, 07:10
I know I will be disapointed. I dont want to know about people's stories. I would like a practical "How To" type of prepper show. Tips, Ideas, methods, ect.

I'd like that too.

Dexters
03-26-2012, 08:39
Did you see the show where the guy had his generator stolen? I think he lived in FLA but had his bug out location in the GA mountains.

A lot of people know about those bunkers - builder & employees, transporter & employees, crane owner and employees, helpers and everyone who sees it drive by to the installation point.

jason10mm
03-26-2012, 08:47
Did you see the show where the guy had his generator stolen? I think he lived in FLA but had his bug out location in the GA mountains.

A lot of people know about those bunkers - builder & employees, transporter & employees, crane owner and employees, helpers and everyone who sees it drive by to the installation point.

I think that stolen generator bit was BS. The site had some loose cinder blocks lying around? I watch these shows for entertainment and motivation to do it RIGHT. I don't believe for a second 95% of the crap they show. The bunker show in particular seems to have a lot of scripted shenanigans.

I hear Spike TV is coming out with a prepper show as well, hopefully it is INFORMATIVE, as that can not be said about the Discovery Channel or NatGeo shows. I actually think the Outdoor Channel has the highest chance of showing a real prepper show without all the reality TV nonsense.

Dexters
03-26-2012, 09:02
I think that stolen generator bit was BS. The site had some loose cinder blocks lying around? I watch these shows for entertainment and motivation to do it RIGHT. I don't believe for a second 95% of the crap they show. The bunker show in particular seems to have a lot of scripted shenanigans.

I think it was real - why would the shelter go along with it if it wasn't - it puts his business in a bad light to not to have secured the generator and it points out as I said the vulnerability of stand alone shelters.

Many other people here have mentioned the problem of things being stolen from rural locations where they do not live.

Toyman
03-27-2012, 04:39
I think it was real - why would the shelter go along with it if it wasn't - it puts his business in a bad light to not to have secured the generator and it points out as I said the vulnerability of stand alone shelters.

Many other people here have mentioned the problem of things being stolen from rural locations where they do not live.

You don't know much about TV show contracts do you?

ca survivor
03-27-2012, 05:57

:rofl:

Dexters
03-27-2012, 09:49
You don't know much about TV show contracts do you?

I used to work in TV and dealt with contracts all the time - NBC, CNBC, Turner.

So, now that you know that ...

Toyman
03-27-2012, 09:58
I used to work in TV and dealt with contracts all the time - NBC, CNBC, Turner.

So, now that you know that ...

I guess we know why it's "used to". :rofl:

Dexters
03-27-2012, 10:07
I guess we know why it's "used to". :rofl:

Yes - I retired.

Now that we all know that ...

Lone Kimono
03-29-2012, 11:51
I'm watching the fire test during the pyramid episode and I'm wondering about something...it may keep you from getting burned, but how will you breathe since fires suck all the oxygen out of the air? Wouldn't you just suffocate in there unless you had oxygen tanks?

Dexters
03-29-2012, 12:09
I'm watching the fire test during the pyramid episode and I'm wondering about something...it may keep you from getting burned, but how will you breathe since fires suck all the oxygen out of the air? Wouldn't you just suffocate in there unless you had oxygen tanks?

Yes. Then he built a round one for tsunami protection without air tanks also.

Lone Kimono
03-29-2012, 13:35
Yes. Then he built a round one for tsunami protection without air tanks also.
I just saw that one! If a tsunami hits that it is going to throw it like a golf ball. They need a few more hatches because you don't know which way will be facing up once it lands.

B.Reid
03-29-2012, 13:42
I just saw that one! If a tsunami hits that it is going to throw it like a golf ball. They need a few more hatches because you don't know which way will be facing up once it lands.

I think this show is like American Choppers, They have to come up with some kind of custom build that no one wants with a short deadline for drama. I'll bet there is no second season of this yawn fest.

TangoFoxtrot
03-30-2012, 05:22
I think the whole show is a bit hokey and the buyers are seem like delusional pill poppers with too much time and money.

Toyman
03-30-2012, 05:37
I watch the show for the little bits of good info and ideas I can glean from it.

It's obvious that the producers of the show are idiots. They almost always end each segment with something like "our experts say that scenario is highly unlikely".

They also usually find something wrong with someone's preps to make their rating not 100%, based on one little thing that could be improved. Often they make no mention of other, more obvious, problems with the persons preps like the guy who was preparing for an EMP, and his plan was to drive his bug out vehicle and trailer 45 minutes to the desert.

It's also obvious that they "require" or script each person to pick what single scenario they are prepping for. I've not once seen anyone say they are preparing for all pending problems.

jason10mm
03-30-2012, 09:22
Toyman, you are thinking of "Doomsday PREPPERS", this thread is about "Doomsday BUNKERS", a totally different and unconnected show :P Heh heh, but both are mostly junk and interchangable.

Dexters, do you REALLY think that bunker has been there for very long and had a generator installed near it that was surrounded/enclosed by loose, unmortared cinderblocks? Looked to me like that cheap fiberglass thing was buried about a day before filming and they scattered some blocks around.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they were just "dramatically recreating" a real incident from the extensive Deep Core Earth Bunker archives, but sure looked like manufactured artificial drama to me.

I admit the guy (or rather, his lead foreman) appears to make some pretty interesting bunker things while the rest of the shop screws around with silly projects but it seems to me that you could probably build on-site a similar but significantly cheaper bunker. The costs of moving all those steel things around has got to be monstrous versus just building on site with poured concrete or whatever.

Dexters
03-30-2012, 22:00
Dexters, do you REALLY think that bunker has been there for very long and had a generator installed near it that was surrounded/enclosed by loose, unmortared cinderblocks? Looked to me like that cheap fiberglass thing was buried about a day before filming and they scattered some blocks around.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they were just "dramatically recreating" a real incident from the extensive Deep Core Earth Bunker archives, but sure looked like manufactured artificial drama to me.

There are two issues - did a generator get stolen - yes.

Did the producers stage the scene when the owner called to say the generator was stolen - probably. Why? the owner lived in Fl and the bunker was in GA. - no need to go there to show an empty hole.

The real issue is that there are a lot of people who knew that bunker and generator was there.

kirgi08
03-30-2012, 22:14
Toyman, you are thinking of "Doomsday PREPPERS", this thread is about "Doomsday BUNKERS", a totally different and unconnected show :P Heh heh, but both are mostly junk and interchangable.

I don't know about "their" bunker,our set-up has an 18kw genny with enough fuel for 5yrs.

Info can be gleaned from any type scenario,if one has an open mind.

I admit the guy (or rather, his lead foreman) appears to make some pretty interesting bunker things while the rest of the shop screws around with silly projects but it seems to me that you could probably build on-site a similar but significantly cheaper bunker. The costs of moving all those steel things around has got to be monstrous versus just building on site with poured concrete or whatever.

"Silly" is in the eye of the beholder,I can go online and blast every concept that's proposed,or I can find the valid points and show them where they are lacking.Just because a "scenario" don't meet your "precepts" don't make it less valid.'08.

jason10mm
04-02-2012, 10:10
By "silly" I mean a steel ball that you sit in and then get hit by a tsunami. By "silly" I mean that it is built by folks who weld up one instead of doing some elementary modeling so they can discover that the weight of the door has to be taken into account. By "silly" I mean fire testing a steel pyramid even though there is no provision for generating oxygen for the inhabitants inside. By "silly" I mean building a remote controlled sentry gun and then lighting up your employees as they come back for lunch. By "silly" I mean a spiked swinging booby trap that hangs in the doorway with no provision for protecting the head of anyone tall enough to gouge out their scalp when coming in or out.

This is not the type of material I expect from NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC. Are their nature documentaries equally filled with ludicrous examples? I understand the pseudocomedic value of these things and I understand the entertainment first nature of scripted "reality shows", I just don't want the first mainstream "prepper" shows to be this type of content. On two supposed "scientific and educational" networks no less.

How is your generator housed and secured? Could it be lifted out and stolen? My issue with that "scenario" is that is was clearly staged/scripted, yet presented as real, thus meaningless and misleading. They never really explained how to properly house and secure a genny, or even explain how the other one was stolen, thus depriving the audience of any actual useful info.