I'm kinda wondering why everytime a CCW holder does something wrong... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I'm kinda wondering why everytime a CCW holder does something wrong...

4TS&W
02-27-2012, 12:45
I'm kinda wondering why everytime a CCW holder does something wrong, or even questionable, TBO is pounding out a post on GT?

Is this some kind of payback for anti-cop posts in the coptalk forum, and the guys who post about cops everytime one is found committing a crime or caught acting in a corrupt manner?

For the record, I am pro both concealed carry and law enforcement. I think the two groups are mutually beneficial, but I see some from both groups sniping at each other online.. that's a shame..

RussP
02-27-2012, 13:03
This question was in another thread where it was completely off topic, so, I moved it here to a thread of its own.

Please, keep your replies and responses civil and compliant with GT Rules.

janice6
02-27-2012, 13:14
I have followed TBO's postings, as well as others and I haven't seen any prejudice in them. I find postings of current news to be available more quickly in GT then most other conventional sources.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-27-2012, 13:14
I'm wondering why TBO does it, too.

Why does he comb the internet, and bring back to us useful and informative stories about CCW and possible mistakes to avoid.

What, does he want $5 or something for his effort?

:rofl:

RussP
02-27-2012, 13:15
I'm kinda wondering why everytime a CCW holder does something wrong, or even questionable, TBO is pounding out a post on GT?

Is this some kind of payback for anti-cop posts in the coptalk forum, and the guys who post about cops everytime one is found committing a crime or caught acting in a corrupt manner?

For the record, I am pro both concealed carry and law enforcement. I think the two groups are mutually beneficial, but I see some from both groups sniping at each other online.. that's a shame..Are you saying no one should post negative stories about members of either group?

GoBigOrange
02-27-2012, 13:30
At least he finally stopped replying "open carry would have prevented this" to every single thread. He did that for a loooong time.

In his defense though I don't think he has any bias against permit holders, it seems he is just reporting the news. Hasn't he also posted a few stories about LEO's screwing up? I don't think it is a a cop vs permit holder thing.

4TS&W
02-27-2012, 13:39
Are you saying no one should post negative stories about members of either group?

No, but it starts to present agenda when you become a broken record... the guys who pick on the LEO profession because of a bad apple, or some who seem to be trashing CCW because some genius stole a pair of earrings while packing.. if I'm getting the wrong impression, I apologize..

I actually agree with Janice.. it's like the AT&T commercial with news around here, because of GT, I usually know all about stuff well before it hits the "water cooler"... (that was SOOOOO 42 seconds ago...)

Chad Rogers
02-27-2012, 14:15
I'm kinda wondering why some folks fall all over themselves to invent excuses why a CCW holder should be forgiven for their actions.

CitizenOfDreams
02-27-2012, 14:20
I'm kinda wondering why some folks fall all over themselves to invent excuses why a CCW holder should be forgiven for their actions.
I don't recall seing anything about forgiving him in that thread. The opinions divided between "punish him for what he actually did" and "throw him under the bus".

Bren
02-27-2012, 15:43

I'd assume, for the same reason you make fun of trekkies when they get beat up: because it's funny.

brausso
02-27-2012, 15:53
He's a cop, it's not like he doesn't have anything better to do, like to serve and protect :supergrin:
:couch:

I'm not anti anything, but I certainly have no problem calling out anyone who's an idiot an makes headlines. If they are a CCW'er or an LEO, I have no problem calling a spade a spade.

Cream Soda Kid
02-27-2012, 15:53

For the record, I am pro both concealed carry and law enforcement. I think the two groups are mutually beneficial, but I see some from both groups sniping at each other online.. that's a shame..

Have you asked TBO?

slickt0mmy
02-27-2012, 15:55

Like CitizenofDreams, I don't recall ever seeing people on here stick up for someone that was obviously in the wrong. I don't care if you're a CHL holder or not. If you did something wrong, shame on you and I hope you get just punishment for it. The only difference being a CHL holder makes (to me) is that I'm especially disappointed in them because they ought to know better.

Sharky7
02-27-2012, 16:57
I have experienced on this forum that if it doesn't happen in your little world or you didn't read about it on the news, it didn't happen.

I think it's beneficial to have posts about CCWers who have made mistakes.

http://matica.ro/.a/6a0120a57e5520970b0148c7efd60d970c-800wi

RussP
02-27-2012, 17:05
No, but it starts to present agenda when you become a broken record... In my experience with vinyl records, a "broken record" repeats what's in the grooves before the break. It repeats the same part of the song over and over and over and...well, you get it.

Using your vinyl analogy, TBO is posting different 45rpm singles, different songs on different records. For those kids here, well, look it up.the guys who pick on the LEO profession because of a bad apple, or some who seem to be trashing CCW because some genius stole a pair of earrings while packing.. if I'm getting the wrong impression, I apologize..Interesting that you say posting about bad cops is picking on the LE profession, but posting about carry permit holders is "trashing CCW."I actually agree with Janice.. it's like the AT&T commercial with news around here, because of GT, I usually know all about stuff well before it hits the "water cooler"... (that was SOOOOO 42 seconds ago...):supergrin:

RussP
02-27-2012, 17:16
He's a cop, it's not like he doesn't have anything better to do, like to serve and protect :supergrin:
:couch:...I have no problem calling a spade a spade.:animlol: :rofl:

Patchman
02-27-2012, 17:33
If you don't read about it on the internet, it never happened.

So I guess it comes down to, do you prefer to know as much as possible (and he doesn't post a fraction of what's happening around the country) regarding the follies of CCWers, or do you prefer the 'ignorance is bliss' CCW approach?

There's no right or wrong answer. Just put TBO on your "ignore" list and you won't have to read his threads!

The Habit
02-27-2012, 17:43
For me, his posts clearly illustrate the microscope the media seems to be puttng CCW permit holders under. Many media outlets make dang sure they identify a perp as a permit holder when applicable. As we all know, there are certain media entities with a firm anti-gun bias. Casting permit holders in a negative light only furthers their "cause" and possibly creates a perception among media consumers that permit holders are ticking time bombs.

Or something like that...

Bullwinkle J Moose
02-27-2012, 17:58
Have you also noticed that every time a cop screws up, someone invariable posts that? If something happens regarding a CWP holder (or a cop) that screws up, it happens and knowing about it reminds us of the additional responsibility we carry when we carry a firearm (and when cops carry a badge).

HKLovingIT
02-27-2012, 18:02
I view his posts as more educational than anything else.

TBO
02-27-2012, 20:00

For the record, I am pro both concealed carry and law enforcement. I think the two groups are mutually beneficial, but I see some from both groups sniping at each other online.. that's a shame..Have you asked TBO?:goodpost::number1::thumbsup:

4TS&W,

If you were really interested, you could PM me, or if making a thread, put TBO in the title. Otherwise it looks like a rhetorical statement/comment. If you really don't like my articles, please feel free to skip them, I'll not be offended in the least. If you believe my conduct is improper or violates GT TOS, there is a report feature on each post, or you can PM Erik or a Mod.
I started a thread a while back in the Furball Forum for anyone who just wants to claw/take shots at me, w/o fear of Moderation. If you'd like the link, here it is: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1298031
-----------------

To the question(s) posed:

I believe each of my news articles I post has lessons in there for all of us. It's not always the same lesson for each of us, even in the same story.

One reason I don't often comment (or comment much) after some news articles is I like letting people respond from their own personal world view/experience(s)/training/etc.

There have been times I have found someone looking at the article/situation/elements/etc from a different, thus interesting point/perspective.

Sincerely,

TBO

tim12232
02-27-2012, 22:36
So is TBO a LEO or just an OCer or neither? Is he just opinionated? Ill have to pay more attention to the joker in the future I guess!

HarleyGuy
02-28-2012, 00:07
I can't remember the name of the website but there's one that tracks crimes and or incidents involving concealed weapon license holders.
The purpose of that website should not be a mystery to anyone.

Like it or not, with (10 million?) civilians legally carrying handguns nationwide mistakes and accidents are going to happen. And like it or not, we're all representatives of that group, so we're all judged (socially) by the acts of others.

Anytime we can learn something through the actions (good or bad) of others we should take advantage of it.
It's a lot cheaper and safer than making dumb mistakes ourselves.

I will add that we have to give most cops the benefit of doubt in most cases because they're required to get involved in situations where we have the ability (and no duty) and good sense to get the heck away from.

RussP
02-28-2012, 07:06
So is TBO a LEO or just an OCer or neither? Is he just opinionated? Ill have to pay more attention to the joker in the future I guess!TBO?

TBO is a member of Glock Talk. Why would you want to put him into one of those other boxes?

He is more opinionated than many, less opinionated than some.

I would suggest that your "pay more attention" should include reading as many of his past posts as you can, in every forum where he participates. Reading will answer your first question, too.

SigFTW
02-28-2012, 09:57
I find TBO's news posting very informative.

Thanks TBO :thumbsup:

MoneyMaker
02-28-2012, 10:24
I prefer 33rpm vinyl over 45 rpm

4TS&W
02-28-2012, 18:46
Yeah, I wasn't trying to start a new thread, but Russ moved it for being off topic, which it was..

I'm not annoyed by your posts, just thought maybe there was some bias against ccw for non Leo, but my meds must have been off that day..

I actually am more annoyed that the clever headlines have been dialed back... You slacking or what???

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

maxniman
02-28-2012, 18:59
I find TBO's news posting very informative.

Thanks TBO :thumbsup:

:goodpost: I agree

Gunnut 45/454
02-28-2012, 19:58
Well I guess I'll show just how long I've been here. This TBO thing goes back to the old argument over the fact that some CCWers thought they were better then most cause they had a CCW. And were offended by LEO's not giving then special treatment -IE traffic stops, treating them as criminals cause they carried a gun. etc. TBO's attitude then was that we were no better and the treatment from LEO's was justified. He may have since changed that thought process by I'll let him tell us. He still does reflect the same old attitude as he did back then but the edge has gone dull somewhat. Most of his recent posts just show us that even CCW holders screw up - just like everday regular people!:supergrin:

TBO
02-28-2012, 21:42
Yeah, I wasn't trying to start a new thread, but Russ moved it for being off topic, which it was..

I'm not annoyed by your posts, just thought maybe there was some bias against ccw for non Leo, but my meds must have been off that day..

I actually am more annoyed that the clever headlines have been dialed back... You slacking or what???
It's all good.

I have stopped making my own style headlines when posting in this forum, or when posting a topic I believe is important.

The reason I don't, that can cause "problems", all by itself, and detract from people putting up their own thoughts related entirely to the topic/story/subject/facts at hand.

I still have fun with some titles in GNG and CopTalk. :tbo:
-------------------

Well I guess I'll show just how long I've been here. This TBO thing goes back to the old argument over the fact that some CCWers thought they were better then most cause they had a CCW. And were offended by LEO's not giving then special treatment -IE traffic stops, treating them as criminals cause they carried a gun. etc. TBO's attitude then was that we were no better and the treatment from LEO's was justified. He may have since changed that thought process by I'll let him tell us. He still does reflect the same old attitude as he did back then but the edge has gone dull somewhat. Most of his recent posts just show us that even CCW holders screw up - just like everday regular people!:supergrin:
There indeed was a time a very vocal minority took umbrage with any LEO action when dealing with someone who either said, or showed a Carry Permit.
My stance then, as now, is:

People are people (Cops are people too, yes).
There has been a lot of sharing/caring on this forum since then and I believe topics/subjects have advanced. Was I a part of it? No clue, and I claim no credit, but I do acknowledge the difference, to my eyes.
"Totality of Circumstances" and "Reasonableness" are topics now that are discussed quite often within the context of the individual situation(s). Nice to see.

Anyway, :wavey:

Turk
02-28-2012, 22:29
I, for one, appreciate the fact that TBO posts many articles that I am/would be very interested in reading but do not have the time to find. He keeps me in the loop! I do not agree that he is over opinionated about CCW holders or any other group, for that matter.

I just do not understand what the issue is?? Or maybe he is just an easy target for those that may not have the imagination to create their own interesting threads. If you don't like the subject matter or the presenter don't read it. Get over it!

Bill Lumberg
02-29-2012, 10:21
I find TBO's posts to be some of the most balanced, insightful, and entertaining to be found here. I like ice cream.

mcf
02-29-2012, 13:36
Hmm... I have to confess that I didn't think you were very bright, TBO. I am new around here, but I have seen you post quite frequently, and I've never seen one of your posts go into the second line (until now).

I guess we'll probably never see eye to eye on some issues, but I apologize for thinking that you were an idiot. I see from your last couple of posts here that you are, in fact, capable of original thought.

:tongueout:

I will say that your one-liners frequently seem intended to cause arguments. I'm not going to go search for your previous posts, but I recall reading more than one post from you that went something along these lines: "Explain your view of x detail of the news story to me (implied: so I can tell you why you're wrong)."

I do appreciate you posting the news articles, though. Even if you only seem to do it to watch the argument that unfolds!

MoneyMaker
02-29-2012, 14:47
In my experience with vinyl records, a "broken record" repeats what's in the grooves before the break. It repeats the same part of the song over and over and over and...well, you get it.

Using your vinyl analogy, TBO is posting different 45rpm singles, different songs on different records. For those kids here, well, look it up.Interesting that you say posting about bad cops is picking on the LE profession, but posting about carry permit holders is "trashing CCW.":supergrin:

so are you saying every record with a groove will break?

Spiffums
02-29-2012, 17:27
:goodpost::number1::thumbsup:

4TS&W,

If you were really interested, you could PM me, or if making a thread, put TBO in the title. Otherwise it looks like a rhetorical statement/comment. If you really don't like my articles, please feel free to skip them, I'll not be offended in the least. If you believe my conduct is improper or violates GT TOS, there is a report feature on each post, or you can PM Erik or a Mod.
I started a thread a while back in the Furball Forum for anyone who just wants to claw/take shots at me, w/o fear of Moderation. If you'd like the link, here it is: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1298031
-----------------

To the question(s) posed:

I believe each of my news articles I post has lessons in there for all of us. It's not always the same lesson for each of us, even in the same story.

One reason I don't often comment (or comment much) after some news articles is I like letting people respond from their own personal world view/experience(s)/training/etc.

There have been times I have found someone looking at the article/situation/elements/etc from a different, thus interesting point/perspective.

Sincerely,

TBO

I just figured you were the flip side to Herr Glock's news threads.

At least you don't try to pimp Sony TVs. :rofl:

NEOH212
03-01-2012, 04:09
I'm sure if the OP searches the net, he can find plenty of cases where police officers have messed up and mess up on a daily basis.

IMHO, TBO does it to remind everyone that like law enforcement, the CC crowd has it's A-holes that make us look bad too.

It may also be due to the, "holier than thou our excrement doesn't stink" attitudes that many concealed carry license holders appear to have.

Maybe this is his way to level the landscape? :whistling:

NEOH212
03-01-2012, 04:12
I'm not anti anything, but I certainly have no problem calling out anyone who's an idiot an makes headlines. If they are a CCW'er or an LEO, I have no problem calling a spade a spade.

:rock::agree:

jdavionic
03-01-2012, 04:47
Incidents can be highlighted and presented to shape any arguments. For gun owners and active gun carriers, the incidents should serve as a good reminder of the responsibility that you assume when owning and carrying a firearm. Sure, some of the stories make you cringe. They should.

However in general, anyone trying to present an argument that these incidents are some type of trend or epidemic that must be dealt with...they should look at some facts. For example, accidental firearm fatalities are at an all-time low -
http://uscca.us/ccr/view_post.php?postId=603

I suppose if the OP is so bothered by TBO's posts, he could ignore them or perhaps offset them by posting his own thread illustrating LEO firearm incidents for every civilian incident posted.

For me though, I don't take offense to them. I look at the details and see whether the person is a true Darwin candidate or whether perhaps there's more to the incident and a lesson that I could learn or be reminded of from the incident.

I certainly support the right to bear arms. I probably take that support a bit further than many folks. With that said though, I find it concerning (no, no laws needed to address the concern) that someone gets their permit, asks for advice on picking out gun & holster, and then never gives training and practice a consideration. They just want to carry...which is their right to do so and I support it. I think there are some people who really fail to appreciate how quickly their lives can get turned upside down by one incident...assuming they survive the incident.

Darkangel1846
03-03-2012, 09:28

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...cuffle/1217503:rofl: