12 year old Macaroni and Cheese, Mmmmm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 12 year old Macaroni and Cheese, Mmmmm

mac66
02-27-2012, 13:06
On the back shelf one of my storage areas I came across 4 boxes of store brand Macaroni and Cheese dinner from my Y2K preps. They were dated to expire in 2000 so they were probably older than that. Made a box for lunch today.

It was yummy.:supergrin:

G29Reload
02-27-2012, 14:15
hey why not?

I don't buy that stuff but if memory serves, its a cardboard box with dried pasta in it, that gets boiled up.

Then there's some cheese powder that's dehydrated.

As long as bugs don't get to it, it should be fine for a bit.

racerford
02-27-2012, 14:41
hey why not?

I don't buy that stuff but if memory serves, its a cardboard box with dried pasta in it, that gets boiled up.

Then there's some cheese powder that's dehydrated.

As long as bugs don't get to it, it should be fine for a bit.

bugs just add a little protein, if you cook them right.:supergrin:

mac66
02-27-2012, 16:18
No bugs and no after effects after 5 hours. :supergrin:

Bolster
02-27-2012, 16:25
THinking this over, wouldn't pasta be something like hardtack? It's basically a flour paste that's then dried.

Foodkeeper says 2 years (http://www.fmi.org/consumer/foodkeeper/) but other sources say "nearly indefinite," as long as you keep the bugs away.

"Millennium Ark" hints at 8-10 years or longer.
http://standeyo.com/News_Files/Food/Extend_Shelf_Life.html

One thing to remember is the difference between "edible" and "nutritious." A food may not cause you any problems, but may have lost most of its nutritional value as well.

G29Reload
02-27-2012, 16:39
THinking this over, wouldn't pasta be something like hardtack? It's basically a flour paste that's then dried.

Foodkeeper says 2 years (http://www.fmi.org/consumer/foodkeeper/) but other sources say "nearly indefinite," as long as you keep the bugs away.

"Millennium Ark" hints at 8-10 years or longer.
http://standeyo.com/News_Files/Food/Extend_Shelf_Life.html

One thing to remember is the difference between "edible" and "nutritious." A food may not cause you any problems, but may have lost most of its nutritional value as well.

Hey when the Terminator comes back to finish off post-nuclear wasteland of LA, it will be looking mighty tasty. May be the only thing that will survive so that's all you'll have to recharge with after bangin' Sarah Connor. Better stock up!

:rofl::supergrin::faint:

RMTactical
02-27-2012, 19:48
The weevils add extra protein.

inzone
02-27-2012, 20:50
I still have a bunch of Y2K buckets...almost all have been just fine...I have decided to keep the rest just as a test....been in a garage since then...no problemas......

RightGlock1
02-28-2012, 00:04
Strainer screen for the weevils when they float to the top. Use later as pepper on your dehydrated eggs. :tongueout::rofl:

pugman
02-28-2012, 14:35
Hey when the Terminator comes back to finish off post-nuclear wasteland of LA, it will be looking mighty tasty. May be the only thing that will survive so that's all you'll have to recharge with after bangin' Sarah Connor. Better stock up!

:rofl::supergrin::faint:

as someone whose favorite movie is the original Terminator unless you are bangin' a skeleton Sarah Connor is long off the market when LA got nuked

Then again, I would like to think T3 never existed.

As for 12 year old mac and cheese; add a little tabasco and bourbon on top of it will kill just about anything

DoctaGlockta
02-28-2012, 15:06
I prefer Kraft Dinner with Ketchup.

Javelin
02-28-2012, 15:11
This forum is always the most interesting when it comes to cuisine... The little pet rodents stir fry thread really grossed me out. 12 y/o expired Mac & Cheese. Sure no biggie.

:supergrin:

mac66
02-28-2012, 15:46
I prefer Kraft Dinner with Ketchup.

Well yeah, Kraft Dinner is the best but back then I was looking for quantity not quality. I have to admit, this store (Meijer) brand MC was pretty tasty. Still have two boxes left out of a couple cases.

I also found 4 boxes of Federal 22s priced $9.96/550 from Walmart so you can tell how long ago that was. Didn't taste as good as the MC though.:supergrin:

DoctaGlockta
02-28-2012, 15:48
Well yeah, Kraft Dinner is the best but back then I was looking for quantity not quality. I have to admit, this store (Meijer) brand MC was pretty tasty. Still have two boxes left out of a couple cases.

I am retired now and have been going through all my stuff in the basement. I also found 4 boxes of Federal 22s priced $9.96/550 so you can tell how long ago that was.

Sorry I meant Kraft Dinner as a generic term for Mac and Cheese (that is what we called anything similar when we were kids). I dig the off brands too when needed.

mac66
02-28-2012, 15:56
Sorry I meant Kraft Dinner as a generic term for Mac and Cheese (that is what we called anything similar when we were kids). I dig the off brands too when needed.

I pretty much got through my junior year of college living on Mac and Cheese, (@ $.10/box )we just called it MC and a bushel of potatoes my room mates stole from a farm market one night. :whistling: I just realized that was 38 years ago. :faint: