Active person with Smart carry?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Active person with Smart carry??

Bilbo Bagins
02-27-2012, 12:59
I have been looking at some "Crotch Carry" options for summer deep concealment and I might pull the trigger on a Smart Carry.

My question for those who use it.

1) Does it conceal well if you are just in shorts and a T-shirt?

2) Is it comfortable if you have a 9 to 5 basic desk job?

3) Is it comfortable if you are hiking or taking long distance walks?

4) Can you run or bike with it?

WayaX
02-27-2012, 15:04
1) Yes and no, though due to the design, an undershirt is required to make it comfortable.

2) I find it very uncomfortable to sit with at all. I prefer a pocket holster for this.

3) It's about as comfortable as a regular IWB holster. I will say for hiking though, having slid down hills and had to crawl up mud banks, that I highly recommend a holster with good retention (i.e. not the smart carry).

4) Run? Yes. Bike? I don't prefer to use it while biking.

Mine mostly sits in the closet, unused.

This isn't incredibly discrete, but it gets the job done (for running, hiking, or biking):

http://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/ctl/ProductDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/35/Default.aspx

robhic
02-27-2012, 15:43
All I wear are pants with elastic waistbands. Sweat pants, shorts, etc. and it works well. DEEP concealment but there is a learning curve to accessing it quickly and effectively, IMO. It is pretty effective and comfortable.

I recently started trying it at the 3 o'clock position and like it. I JUST got a Remora so after I establish a routine with that, I will prolly alternate depending on situation.

Poor Knight
02-28-2012, 02:24
I used to wear my Smart Carry while jogging - the back strap velcro irritates my back and the velcro is coming unstitched. Also the back rides up and shows or gets caught on my shirt. I have ended up using a small fanny pack instead for my Glock 26 or a pocket holster if carrying my S&W Airweight J frame when I am out running, hiking or biking.

DNA
02-28-2012, 05:02
1) Yes!

2) Don't know.

3) Don't know.

4) I jog/run up to 4miles with one without discomfort.

And more importantly, it also depends on what you are carrying. For me a J frame or smaller (IE, LCP) is fine, while the LC9 is borderline and the G26 doesn't get to play.

Dan

moose_32
03-03-2012, 07:44
1) It does conceal well in shorts and a T-shirt. I almost always wear an undershirt tucked underneath the SmartCarry to prevent the straps from irritating my skin.

2) Yes, I think it is comfortable to wear all day at a desk job. I use it when I need to wear a tucked shirt to the office and cannot conceal my normal IWB. I prefer IWB to SmartCarry for this.

3) I haven't used it for hiking or long walks, but I used to use it on 14+ hour days in a retail sales environment where you are constantly on your feet and walking around all day. Never had any problems.

4) Short bike rides are tolerable, but it's less than ideal.

When I run with the SmartCarry I rotate it so that the gun is held at about 3:30 (just behind the hip). To prevent the straps from irritating my skin I will tape the edges that poke me. You can place the grip of the gun above or below the waist line of your shorts. Wearing it above the waist line allows you to stabilize the gun more with the drawstring in your shorts.

Darkangel1846
03-03-2012, 08:12
Becareful not to put your finger on that trigger until the handgun is out or you might expierence a terrible incident.