Whats missing from my Med Kit? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Whats missing from my Med Kit?

glock30user
02-27-2012, 19:43
I am putting together my Med Kit/First Aid for my GHB/BOB and here is a list of what I have.

BandAids, alcohol wipes, 2 packages moleskin, 8 4”x4” gauze, 1 pr gloves, 2 N95 dust masks, 2 25g quikclot sports, israeli bandage, “army surplus” field surgical kit, tape, med scissors

What would you add or remove or change?

Dalton Wayne
02-27-2012, 19:54
Airways

paintballwannab
02-27-2012, 20:29
bee sting kit, 2nd pair of gloves, tweezers(maybe in surgical kit?), q-tips

Unistat
02-27-2012, 20:38
-CPR mask (if you know CPR)
-Chest seal
-Aspirin (for heart attacks)
-Tourniquet

Sam Spade
02-27-2012, 20:45
Training.

coondog
02-27-2012, 21:23
Amazon.com: Surgical Disposable Sterile Skin Stapler w/Enhanced Control, 35 Preloaded Staples: Everything Else@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21914QUeAcL.@@AMEPARAM@@21914QUeAcL

Aceman
02-27-2012, 21:26
As with all things, what exactly is the purpose of this kit?

I break my meds into these basic categories:

Basic simple injury - which includes tools/meds for basic wound cleaning, bandaging, and simple pain management

Large injury - large cuts, so gauze, tape, etc...plus extra meds/more power.

Trauma - serious impailement/bleeding, which means bloodstopper, tourniquette, etc...(gotta get some israeli bandage!)

Dental - pain management, crown loss/filling, etc..

My basic "bag" only has the level 1 stuff (Adventure Med Kit Personal)

My belt bag has more meds/dental

My trauma bag can go wherever depending on my mood, but resides in my 3 day bag usually.

racerford
02-27-2012, 22:00
More gauze
CO-FLEX COBAN TYPE Self-Adherent Bandages
Actual meds
Medical tape

RatDrall
02-28-2012, 05:30
Training.

This ^

Long before airways and chest seals :upeyes:

Seriously guys, not everyone is a paramedic/emt/first responder/combat medic/ninja. No point in recommending stuff that 99.9% of people have no idea what to do with.

Start with a base kit from someone, I like Adventure Medical Kits because they are complete, and portable. Then I add stuff like anti-diarrhea pills, Benadryl, moleskin, etc. Combine that with a basic trauma kit (quick clot, pressure bandage, kerlix) and you have a decent kit that most people can use.

UneasyRider
02-28-2012, 06:10
I would go very heavy on the items that you use for basic wound care like band aides, bandages, ointments, sutures and a good field surgical kit. In Florida we learn quickly that injuries happen after the hurricane when you start working for a living. Buy to your level of ability to use and then some because there will be a nurse, emt, doctor floating around your neighborhood with no supplies and lots of skill if you can find them. If you are on your own you had better have a good book!

Don't forget pills too, you are still going to have back pain, colds, the flu, bee stings, and allergy problems.

IV Troop
02-28-2012, 06:50
This ^

Long before airways and chest seals :upeyes:

Seriously guys, not everyone is a paramedic/emt/first responder/combat medic/ninja. No point in recommending stuff that 99.9% of people have no idea what to do with.

Start with a base kit from someone, I like Adventure Medical Kits because they are complete, and portable. Then I add stuff like anti-diarrhea pills, Benadryl, moleskin, etc. Combine that with a basic trauma kit (quick clot, pressure bandage, kerlix) and you have a decent kit that most people can use.

HUGE +1

It seems that a large % of guys like to buy stuff for show and tell, but have no idea how to use it.

I would suggest spending $ on high quality training. Once you have been properly trained, you will know exactly what you need.

BTW, Training is not a one time thing. Periodic refresher courses to keep your skill sets sharp are a smart move.

It may not be as cool as taking a picture of all the stuff you have purchased, layed out in a pile to show everyone on the internet, but it will be a heck of a lot more valuable.

lawman800
02-28-2012, 08:59
Israeli bandages and CAT.

Unistat
02-28-2012, 10:58
Yes, the point about training is correct. However, the OP asked what he needed for his kit, not his mind. A basic blowout/trauma kit is not brain surgery. Training is necessary but one need not be a full blown Paramedic to use it (I'm not saying that anyone here suggested that was the case.)

IMO, as cheap and available as the basic supplies for a trauma kit are, one may as well go ahead and buy them. Training is expensive and often difficult to schedule (at least I have found it so.) So while looking for the opportunity for training, the OP can at least have the supplies on hand.

The OP can also watch YouTube videos to get the basic idea down. I'm not saying videos are a substitute for live training, but in almost every class I've been in, videos serve as the basic introduction of technique.

WolfNotSheep
02-28-2012, 12:29
You need to plan your med kit around what it is realistically going to be used for... think cuts, scrapes, bee stings, and burns. Not necessarily gunshot wounds or hemmorhaging, though those should also be considered.

You need sveral gauze pads, large and small. Three each of 2''x2'' and 4''x4'' pads should be sufficient. Also, Telfa pads or non-adherent dressing. THESE ARE A MUST. When removed, a regular dressing over a wound will pull off a large protion of the scab along with itself. Even thin Maxi-pads would work. A few super absorbent pads, like surgi-pads are also good for soaking up large amounts of blood. A medium to large roll of med tape is also a must, preferably the perforated/water-proof kind since it sticks to skin better than regular tape. You'll need alcohol wipes or a small bottle of 2% tincture of iodine. I prefer iodine since it can be used to purify water as well. Include an ACE bandage and a few gauze rolls, as well as small tweezers, neosporin, lots of assorted band-aids, anti-diarrheal meds, OTC pain reliever, and a small tube of calamine lotion. A few benadryl tabs wouldn't hurt either. For more extensive injuries, also include a Quiklot sponge (since the loose particles won't come away clean and have to be scrubbed off the wound), some EMT shears, a few tampons, an Israeli dressing, and a one-hand use tourniquet all sealed into a large ziploc with an unpackaged light stick taped longways to the side of the baggy so only 1/4 of the light stick is exposed. The baggy keeps everything waterproof and can be used as an ACS and the light stick can be snapped for rapid night time deployment and because of the way it is taped can help you maintain light discipline.

You'll also need training. Maybe see if someone at your local rescue squad has some free time to chat with you. Most EMT organizations are community oriented and will gladly help out a citizen, especially if that means just shooting the breeze and answering a few questions. If you can find a guy who has served int he military as a medic then that's even better.

If you're traveling in a group make sure veeryone has their IFAK/BOK (their gunshot wound/combat first aid kit) in an easily accesible place on their person and only use their IFAK on them. If you patch up your battle buddy with your kit and he gets a medvac then you're left without your goods.

glock30user
02-28-2012, 15:52
If you're traveling in a group make sure veeryone has their IFAK/BOK (their gunshot wound/combat first aid kit) in an easily accesible place on their person and only use their IFAK on them. If you patch up your battle buddy with your kit and he gets a medvac then you're left without your goods.

Great point about using someones trauma kit and not your own.

SGT_Calle
02-28-2012, 16:28
Israeli bandages and CAT.

As many of both as possible!
When in doubt, tourniquet! Modern surgical practices allow doctors to fix stuff bleeding even if a CAT has been in place for hours.
Blood loss is HUGE, get tourniquets. Try to find them with metal tension rods if you can.

Paul53
02-28-2012, 16:36
Cravats, aka triangle dressings. You can make dressings, slings, tourniquets, splints, probably even a viable Republican candidate out of them. For thier size they are incredibly useful.

Unsalted meat tenderizer. Use a little with water to make a paste to put on bee stings.

Aluminized blanket for heat retention or shock.

Consider how you'd splint a fracture. There are moldable splints available.

Reconsider suturing or stapling a wound. That's usually cosmetic. Given the same care, an unsutured wound has less chance of getting infected. You just end up with a big sexy scar.

Bacitracin ointment (avoid Neosporin, 4% of the population is allergic to one componenet. ER's only use Bacitracin).

UneasyRider
02-28-2012, 16:49
Reconsider suturing or stapling a wound. That's usually cosmetic. Given the same care, an unsutured wound has less chance of getting infected. You just end up with a big sexy scar.

As the recipient of 200 plus sutures over the course of my life I consider myself an expert on receiving them and self removal. In a SHTF situation you are not going to want to sit down and wait for things to heal up for a couple of weeks, you are going to want someone to stitch you up so you can keep on going.

Sutures are great!

ScaryWoody
02-28-2012, 21:17
A couple space blankets for warmth. Maybe some hot hands also. I carry tincture of iodine for sterilizing cuts, etc but it can also be used for water sterilization.

Big Bird
02-28-2012, 22:26
I always reverse engineer my field kits based upon the most likely thing I'll need to treat vs the leastly likely thing.

Most likely is a small cut or a sliver of wood/metal in my finger...tweezers, small exacto blade, some form of alcohol or betadyn. Small tube of neosporin.

Next most likely is a headache or a fever and or muscle soreness. Ibuprofin does everything--fever reducer, headache relief, and especially muscle soreness. OTC Ibuprofin is 200 MG and the theraputic dose is 600-800 MG so you need to put enough Ibuprofin in the kit to allow for several theraputic doses. Tylenol--Acetaminophine does most of the above but is not good for muscle soreness. But it works well for fevers so I usually stick a number of these in my kit. Be careful though--unlike Ibuprofin you don't take more than the recommended dosage.

Also, from time to time I'm hunting, on the road or otherwise away from home and get the runs. Immodium AD is my friend. You can buy the generic version for only a few dollars. Diarrhea can kill you in a survival situation. This can be a lifesaver.

I find a good decongestant like Claritin is a godsend during the spring pollen season. A couple of doses of Claritin is good.

From time to time I get a little acid reflux and a couple of doses of an Antacid such as Rontadin is a lifesaver.

Aspirin is good too..what I turn to for headaches as its the easiest on your liver compared to Ibuprofin or Tylenol. Some people are sensitive to aspirin in their stomach--buy the buffered kind if that's the case.

All these medications can be put in a small bottle in small individually labeled ziplock bags. Walmart generic versions of all these drugs are effective and cost less than half the brand names. I can't tell you how many times I've hit my first aid kits for these drugs when I'm travelling, hunting, camping etc.

Next seems like I get small burns from time to time. So a good Burn gel either in a bottle or in small disposable packets. Benadryl cream can also double but its not as good as a Burn Gel.

I also seem to get stuff in my eyes. A small bottle of eye-wash is cheap and has proven useful more than once.

Sprains and strains--I keep a roll of athletic tape--not medical/surgical tape==ATHLETIC TAPE. Wrap your ankle, wrist etc and carry on...

Assorted surgical sponges and gauze. Non-stick wound dressings (different than sponges or gauze--you put this next to the cut and the sponges over this stuff.

I usually put a couple of smaller vet wraps in there (kind of like velcro ACE bandages). Holds the dressings and sponges tight over the wound.

Small single AAA flashlight.

I'll think of some more.

But to me the most useful items are the drugs and the small cut/sliver things.

Bolster
02-28-2012, 23:00
Really good, informative post Big Bird, thank you. :bowdown:

Regards Claritin, it's good, but I've "upgraded" to Zyrtec, myself, because my allergy problems become worse at night. Zyrtec works well taken in the evening and makes you a little sleepy. (You can't take both Claritin and Zyrtec, so it's one or the other.) But if you need to stay alert, then Claritin's the ticket.

Benadryl (Dipenhydramine) is another "jack of all trades" drug. An old drug, and remarkably safe. Functions as antihistamine, for allergies, for runny nose, functions as a sleeping pill, combats anxiety and motion sickness, treats nausea, good for bee stings, poison ivy. Once again, metabolized in the liver.

I did not realize that hospitals would push that much ibuprophen... :wow: ... think I'll still stay in those safer OTC ranges and spare my liver the extra work. Gotta save some liver for alcohol, you know.

runcible68
02-29-2012, 01:52
A trauma surgeon would be nice. Don't think he'd fit in the case though.

RatDrall
02-29-2012, 05:31
When in doubt, tourniquet!

I can totally imagine someone falling and scraping their knee, then ripping open the blowout kit and dumping 15g of Quick Clot on it, applying a pressure bandage, then putting a TQ on their thigh.

Then, when the doc has to amputate the leg due to the improperly used TQ....

Big Bird
02-29-2012, 06:17
Really good, informative post Big Bird, thank you. :bowdown:

Regards Claritin, it's good, but I've "upgraded" to Zyrtec, myself, because my allergy problems become worse at night. Zyrtec works well taken in the evening and makes you a little sleepy. (You can't take both Claritin and Zyrtec, so it's one or the other.) But if you need to stay alert, then Claritin's the ticket.

Benadryl (Dipenhydramine) is another "jack of all trades" drug. An old drug, and remarkably safe. Functions as antihistamine, for allergies, for runny nose, functions as a sleeping pill, combats anxiety and motion sickness, treats nausea, good for bee stings, poison ivy. Once again, metabolized in the liver.

I did not realize that hospitals would push that much ibuprophen... :wow: ... think I'll still stay in those safer OTC ranges and spare my liver the extra work. Gotta save some liver for alcohol, you know.

Ibupofin is like alcohol in terms of your liver. Take it all the time and too much over a long period you are gonna do some damage. But a few days of 800 mg theraputic doses aren't going to hurt you just like a wild Saturday night and a few too many drinks won't hurt you if you keep it to a minimum. Nothing really treats muscle soreness--back pain etc like Ibuprofin.

Tylenol is the really dangerous stuff -- even a mild overdose can do serious damage

I was on a guided elk hunt a few years back and after several days of riding horses I got really sore--Ibuprofin kept me in the saddle for the whole week. Same hunt I got a mild touch of the flu for a day. Low fever and diarrhea. Some Aspirin and Immodium, likewise kept me in the game and allowed me to function even though we were 12 miles from the nearest paved road in a wilderness area in Idaho. It wasn't a great day but I'd have been miserable and helpless without either of those drugs.

glock30user
02-29-2012, 20:38
Thanks for all the great thoughts Big Bird!

blueyedmule
03-25-2012, 10:11
In SHTF scenarios you can get a huge amount done with dual-purpose stuff--your wife's fem. hygiene gear, duct tape, a bottle of 90% alcohol you can also use as cooking fuel, a surgi-stapler if you can get a little training even from your local vet on how to use it.

Little stuff isn't going to be an issue so much, unless you are urban in a very unsanitary situation. I'm a big fan of medical superglue for those kinds of things. Clean it, seal it, move on. Intermediate wounds that aren't life-threatening but are debilitating, those are the issue. The big stuff is simply going to kill you unless you are good friends with, say a guy who just happens to be an USAF PJ or a military field medic and he's out with you. Having the ability to clean and close a fairly large wound could be a game-saver, that's why I think the stapler could be a great tool if you can get some training on it. Also wouldn't hurt if you can stockpile some antibiotics. A friend of mine traveled to Arizona and popped across the border to buy some exactly for that reason.