Glock 17 holsters [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 holsters

73Ranger100
02-28-2012, 06:48
Hey does anyone know of a good small of the back (SOB) holster for a 17 Gen 4. Also looking for a good IDPA holster for the same pistol.

plouffedaddy
02-28-2012, 07:10
http://gunreviewguy.blogspot.com/2012/02/theis-iwb-holster-reviews.html

For small of the back I recommend Theis. IDPA, maybe a Don Hume 721...

davsco
02-28-2012, 07:10
idpa would be blackhawk serpa if you want retention. bladetech doh if you don't (but need to remove the offset piece for idpa).

Bren
02-28-2012, 07:43
I have a Galco SOB. Pretty good holster for summer carrry under a shirt, but I don't use it often. For IDPA I like either the non-serpa Blackhawks or Blade Tech.

EAJuggalo
02-29-2012, 06:20
Have you carried a large firearm SOB previously? If not I wouldn't start now, it is generally considered about the worst possible carry position, no matter how cool it looks on TV and in the movies. Why would you want a large blocky object sitting directly over the base of your spine where it's going to cause all kinds of problems if you slip and fall on your back. There is also a tendency for cover garments to get caught on the firearm leaving it completely exposed to everyone but you.

I'm partial to Comp-Tac for synthetic holsters, Sideguard Holsters for leather. If you want a real challenge, shoot IDPA with your carry rig.

robert91922
02-29-2012, 06:23
Have you carried a large firearm SOB previously? If not I wouldn't start now, it is generally considered about the worst possible carry position, no matter how cool it looks on TV and in the movies. Why would you want a large blocky object sitting directly over the base of your spine where it's going to cause all kinds of problems if you slip and fall on your back. There is also a tendency for cover garments to get caught on the firearm leaving it completely exposed to everyone but you.

I'm partial to Comp-Tac for synthetic holsters, Sideguard Holsters for leather. If you want a real challenge, shoot IDPA with your carry rig.
+1 agree 100%
even if you never fall or get hit at SOB holster this kind of carrying might get you some health problem from body moisture got between holster and skin - it's my own experience, not hearsay. I would never carry that way again.

Veedubklown
02-29-2012, 14:11

It's also impossible to get at in a car, from the driving position, and when you crouch, you either print or show off to everyone.

+1 for IDPA with your carry rig. That's what I do, and I love it.

Badger54
03-01-2012, 03:19
I have to agree I have a Desantis SOB holster that rarely gets used. Its not possible to draw from when in the car not to mention uncomfortable. I personally feel that a compact glock or larger pistol is too large for that type of carry. And it prints or shows really easily as others have said without you being aware of it. Standing in the line at a store with you being unaware your gun is on display is not a good thing.

Bren
03-01-2012, 07:51
I forgot to mention - Glocktalkers also live in fear of falling on their backs and being paralyzed by a gun carried there, so if you want an SOB holster, don't mention it here.:rofl:

Veedubklown
03-01-2012, 15:25
I forgot to mention - Glocktalkers also live in fear of falling on their backs and being paralyzed by a gun carried there, so if you want an SOB holster, don't mention it here.:rofl:
My dad mexican carried a 1911 when he drove truck. Years of abuse to his lower spine. It's not about GT, it's about experience. If it's comfortable to you, no one's stoppin ya, just trying to save you some grief we all went through.

dr_hefley
03-01-2012, 20:18
I use a SideArmor for IDPA. It works great for me. I'm going to use it for USPSA also when I get started in that a couple of weeks from now.