storing guns around children [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : storing guns around children

srice425
02-28-2012, 08:07
hey guys, i live in oklahoma and i have read a few things concerning this matter and was curious, what does law say about securing handguns/rifles in a house where kids are present?
i still want to have quick access to them in case of an intruder but dont want them out in the open obviously.
i can think of several ways to solve this issue, ie: small bedside safes, etc , but was more wanting to know what the legal side was.

any help?

hawgrider
02-28-2012, 08:50
I would check here and see if its listed anywhere.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

If not go out to your states Attorney Generals office and see if you can find it. Or you can always do a google search on it.

dosei
02-28-2012, 10:03
Even if a gun is stored in a completely legal fashion, you can still be held liable if something happens. The best way to store them is in a proper vault/safe...locked, of course. The best way to keep one (or two) accessible for use is to have it ON YOUR PERSON...in a proper holster, of course.

At night, a rapid access vault (like the ones made by GunVault, especially the biometric units) is superb.

cloudbuster
02-28-2012, 12:35
... deleted ...

FAS1
02-28-2012, 17:12
Regardless of the law it is a good idea to secure all your guns in a safe when not on your person. As far as a HD gun it is easier in most cases to secure a handgun and have quick access to it than a long gun. I do keep a loaded shotsun in the safe just in case, but my handgun is my first line of defense if a firearm is needed. Here's mine.

As mentioned earlier http://www.handgunlaw.us/ has some good info. regarding state laws.

FAS1 SAFE - YouTube

DaneA
02-28-2012, 21:56
Regardless of your choice of storage. Please educate your children about guns. Taking the novelty out of guns will reduce the chance of your kids doing something stupid.

Jameson4all
02-29-2012, 14:30
If you don't already have one, buy a gun safe or at least a gun locker. Also if your not personally carrying it in your home you might look into what others have said regarding the gunvault small containers. Its nice to see your looking for ideas as a lot of people just hope their 'talks' with kids to be enough deterrent. To answer your question, unless I am wrong I believe the law says if children are around, the guns have to be securely encased in locked container/safe or locked with a trigger locking device or something rendering the gun inoperable.

fredj338
02-29-2012, 15:22
Regardless of your choice of storage. Please educate your children about guns. Taking the novelty out of guns will reduce the chance of your kids doing something stupid.

^^THIS^^
But not having a gunsafe is just foolish on so many levels. One is safety, the other is purely economic. A good gunsafe is about $600 or the cost of a Glock. So when your home gets burglarized & your gun collection stolen, that "expensive" safe will seem cheap. If you can hide it, I can find it. Happens everyday in the USA.:upeyes:
Your house gun can be put away every morning when you head for work or put into a personal lock box that only you & other responsible members of the family have access to. Almost every "accidental" shooting could have been prevented by some commons sense on the owners part.:steamed:

Bilbo Bagins
03-02-2012, 07:41

I was educated by my father about his guns and threaten to kill me if I ever touched them without premission and throughout my pre teen years I still played with the guns when no one was home. :wavey:

Education is key but never rely on it as your sole defense to keep kids away from your guns.

Boys will be boys. Get a safe or other quick release locking system.

Deye76
03-02-2012, 07:51
Education is very important. Letting a youngster under supervision shoot the firearm, at something that gets destroyed, like a melon or an old hard hat, shows the destruction and finality of pulling a trigger. Can't be taken back once it's fired. They see to many television shows where the bullets are flying everywhere....and nobody gets hurt.

cloudbuster
03-02-2012, 08:06
I was educated by my father about his guns and threaten to kill me if I ever touched them without premission and throughout my pre teen years I still played with the guns when no one was home. :wavey:

Education is key but never rely on it as your sole defense to keep kids away from your guns.

Boys will be boys. Get a safe or other quick release locking system.

I've never thought much of the fire-and-brimstone approach. My kids know that anytime they're curious or feeling the itch to handle the guns, they just have to ask me. I've never made it a big deal and they've never given me any trouble in 25 years and five kids.

birda40
03-02-2012, 08:25
I've tried to instill the dangers of a firearm to my 11 year old. I've taught him to shoot and safety. Do I actually believe if I left it lieing around he wouldn't touch it as ordered. Heck no , I remember when I was 11, No, means need to check this out yes, means gotta check this out. I was always into something tho, but I keep em all locked up no matter what , my buddy put his loaded 9mm on top of a cabinet well out of reach of his 5 year old, the little fella pulled up a chair, there is a piece of my friend thats gone forever which every day he relives.