9 X 18 Makarov/survival weapon? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9 X 18 Makarov/survival weapon?

inzone
02-28-2012, 12:28
might have a chance to pick up a couple old surplus Makarovs from a buddy...just wondering if these would be decent backup survival guns for a a BOB or other place.....

matthew.s
02-28-2012, 12:43
As much as I love the Makarov, it isn't like other Soviet weapons where everyone and their brother has ammo and magazines for it buried in their backyard. If you have ammo stockpiled for it and can keep it from going bad, it is a very Robust handgun that you can beat nails into wood with, but if you want a gun for a Bug Out Bag, use a Glock 19 or maybe a Ruger SR9 with a lot of spare magazines, utilize the far more common 9x19 Para/Luger instead of the fewer and far between 9x18 Makarov.

quake
02-28-2012, 13:09
Pretty much +1 everything matthew.s said, except I'd not discount it completely from BOB or GHB use, as long as you don't count on mid-situation resupply.

If you're willing to serve as your own supply source and depot, and that can be a genuine hassle, it can do pretty good, especially with well-thought-out ammo choice.

pugman
02-28-2012, 13:28
What does the 9x18 provide the 9x19 doesn't?

A friend had this similiar problem several years ago when someone basically offered him a well used but free S&W Model 57.

Thumbs up on the free gun...but still...what does a .41 Mag do a .357 or .44 doesn't

DoctaGlockta
02-28-2012, 14:30
Just buy a couple of 9mm hipoints instead. Why fool around with Soviet pistols?

CitizenOfDreams
02-28-2012, 14:35
If the Russian Police ever invades your town, you will be able to use their ammo. Other than that it has no advantages over 9x19.

banger
02-28-2012, 14:42
As much as I love the Makarov, it isn't like other Soviet weapons where everyone and their brother has ammo and magazines for it buried in their backyard. If you have ammo stockpiled for it and can keep it from going bad, it is a very Robust handgun that you can beat nails into wood with, but if you want a gun for a Bug Out Bag, use a Glock 19 or maybe a Ruger SR9 with a lot of spare magazines, utilize the far more common 9x19 Para/Luger instead of the fewer and far between 9x18 Makarov.

"Keep it from going bad"....Goodness man, I'm still shooting Korean war surplus, having just finished WWII.

And that is with ammo that has seen no special care outside have having been kept inside of a house, (as opposed to a shed in the back yard).

Consider, the Korean war was over 60 years ago, yet I have had VERY FEW failures of any kind with the ammo.

Heck, I am still shooting 8X56 that was made in the 1930's, and even there the overwhelming majority still fire without incident or failure.

matthew.s
02-28-2012, 15:35
"Keep it from going bad"....Goodness man, I'm still shooting Korean war surplus, having just finished WWII.

Banger, depending on the climate you live in you don't need to take special measures to store ammunition other than just keeping it dry, but I know that up here in the North, if you store ammunition in climates with greater varying degrees of humidity, then the safest way to store ammunition for long term is in ways where you can control the amount of moisture in the air, such as using ammo cans with their waterproof seals intact and using desiccant products to control moisture, or using safes and lockers with climate control.

I've been burned before from people who sell sealed boxes of surplus ammunition which once opened up actually had about 50% of the rounds with corroded casings or wet primers, so its something you need to be careful of when considering what kind of ammo you are going to stockpile, and for what guns you're going to use it with.

RMTactical
02-28-2012, 16:27

Nothing, in fact it is ballistically inferior.

That said, make sure it is a real Makarov. People often peddle the P-64 and others as "Makarovs" and they just arent as good.

I own a Makarov and it is a very good CCW pistol. Very accurate, reliable, robust, and easy to conceal.

I do think however that a Kel Tec PF9 would probably make for a better CCW gun for the money and it shoots 9x19.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u87/RMTactical/DonHumeIWB045.jpg

firefighter4215
02-28-2012, 16:32

The opportunity to have .380 ballistics from a 9mm size gun? I'm not sure either, really. Maybe just a toy. You can trim 9x19 down to 9x18 to reload, so it's not expensive to shoot.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

arclight610
02-28-2012, 16:53

A friend had this similiar problem several years ago when someone basically offered him a well used but free S&W Model 57.

Thumbs up on the free gun...but still...what does a .41 Mag do a .357 or .44 doesn't

A wider bullet.

Aceman
02-28-2012, 16:58
I think 9x18 is pretty available (on line anyway) and cheaper/comparable to 9mm in price.

And, it's a bit better than .380, but not quite 9mm. Still, effective close defense round. Pretty much.

As always - I'd ratehr have a Makarov NOW than NOT Have a Walkther PPS when I need it.

quake
02-28-2012, 17:21
As long as we're talking about Makarovs and not just any gun in the 9x18 caliber; it offers a $200 gun that will last a lifetime of shooting. Larger than a lot of similar-powered pistols, but (like the 1911 & such) it's an older, milspec design; not originally intended for pocket carry.

In other (non "genuine-Mak") guns like the P-64, it offers near-9x19 performance in a PPK size package, admittedly at the cost of 9x19 recoil in a PPK size package. As RMTactical points out, it's probably not as stout as the actual "Makarov" military pistol, but I've got a couple thousand of hot 115JHP rounds thru mine with no problems and not even any signs of wear.

Ammo-wise, the old, and possibly now discontinued(?), silver bear 115jhp ran over 1,000 fps from my son's bulgy mak. Being a blowback like a PPK, it does kick some, but in a stress situation, I doubt it would be noticed.

Ammo also used to be a phenomenal bargain - the last batch of SB-115 I bought, I paid $5.99 a box for it; that was $120 per thousand rounds for very good JHP ammo. In fairness, that's been several years ago. It's my son's gun and I don't really know what ammo costs now, but I'm sure it's higher.

This is several pocket-gun rounds in gelatin testing. The one outlined in blue is the 9x18mm 115-grain silver bear:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/LE/9x18Makgelatin.jpg
Fourteen-plus inches of penetration, with good expansion, from a PPK size gun.

That's what a 9x18 offers if you load it right. :supergrin:

Just buy a couple of 9mm hipoints instead. Why fool around with Soviet pistols?
Because a Makarov is safe to carry chamber-loaded, and will outlast a half-dozen Hipoints. Not hating on Hipoints. I have one of their precursor Haskell guns from ~20 years ago, and it's fine for what it was; an $85 pistol. But it's nowhere near as good a pistol as the Makarov or even the P-64.

RMTactical
02-28-2012, 18:22
In other (non "genuine-Mak") guns like the P-64, it offers near-9x19 performance in a PPK size package, admittedly at the cost of 9x19 recoil in a PPK size package. As RMTactical points out, it's probably not as stout as the actual "Makarov" military pistol, but I've got a couple thousand of hot 115JHP rounds thru mine with no problems and not even any signs of wear.

I should clarify. I think the P-64 is a well made, reliable gun. It is also very thin and easy to conceal.

I had a couple of them and I just couldnt get over the super long/heavy DA trigger and the harsh recoil (I even added some stiffer recoil springs but it did little to tame the recoil). It may not bother others, but these were two big turn offs for me that I dont have with my Makarov or CZ-82.

If you like it, that is fine, but it wasnt for me, and I mostly wanted to let the OP know that there are several different Soviet Bloc pistols chambered in 9x18 that people often mistakenly call "Makarovs".

farmer-dave
02-28-2012, 18:40
I don't own a makarov but I have 4 cz-82's. Nothing wrong with having anygun that's accurate and reliable.

Big Bird
02-28-2012, 19:54
I own a couple of Maks and for the money they are great guns. The ammo is cheap and there are no shortages of it online.

Since the Mak is a fixed barrel design its also VERY accurate. Both of mine will easily outshoot any of my 9 Glocks.

The triggers usually are a little heavy but that can be fixed.

You usually get a Mak with a holster and the Magazines are $10

Its also a very reliable design--basically a copy of the Walther PP

There are worse guns you could spend your money on and not many better choices in this price range. The design is a little dated and its heavier than it needs to be. The sights are kinda small. But a Mak goes bang when it should.

Realistically, the power range is between a .380 and a 9X19

Don't discount a Russian or COMBLOC gun like a Mak. The soviets built a lot o cheap crap for sure. But their weapons are almost all well designed, VERY rugged, functional and reliable. They may be a little crude from a fit and finish standpoint but that's purely cosmetic. You don't see anyone out there throwing rocks at a Russian SKS, AK or even a $80 Mosin Nagant....which is an amazing value for what it is!

ScaryWoody
02-28-2012, 20:10
I have a Bulgy Mak that I sometimes carry for a CCW. I find it one of my favorites to shoot. The Mak is a wonder with only 27 parts total. The fixed barrel provides a very accurate platform. The 9 x 18 round is a bit under powered. A bit more power than a .380. For a SHTF back up gun it is a decent choice. Provided you have a good supply of ammo. Ammo runs out move up to a 9x19.

GAU-8
03-02-2012, 01:00
Back up BOB guns?

Absolutely! why the heck not? No they are not 9mm but the are plenty powerful enough to get the job done.

I think people are missing the point that you can pick up TWO and I'm assuming a good price. They are generally solid guns.

I don't put much weight on the fact that it's an odd caliber. Just carry enough ammo with you same as you would a 9mm. The idea of "resupply" after SHTF is just a joke to me. First thing that needs to happen for "resupply" is you actually have to use what you have and still be alive. People let their imaginations get to them when it comes to this topic.

If the price is good I say get um!! They will be excellent long term investment guns as well. I think people are now starting to have a healthy respect for ALL STEEL guns. They last and last.

RatDrall
03-02-2012, 04:33
Any gun is good as a backup BOB gun, for the zero times you're likely to fire it in anger or necessity.

If the price is right, pick them up! A few Mak's scattered about might pay off someday...

IV Troop
03-02-2012, 04:48
While you can get some rather inexpensive com-bloc 9x18s these days, it should be noted that quite frequently used 2nd and 3rd gen S&W autos come up for sale at rather attractive prices from the larger distributers.

These police trade-ins are high quality guns and would serve the role of a BOB gun or extra HD handgun or whatever you need. A 3913 or 5906 (or whatever model) would serve a person well and extra parts/mags would be relatively easy enough to obtain in advance.

This way you could still only maintain/store one primary ammo caliber, IE 9mm.

Just something to consider.