Adirondacks? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Adirondacks?

ADK_40GLKr
02-28-2012, 14:18
Any Adirondackers here? Haven't run into too many over the past year or so.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-29-2012, 20:28
I get up there once in a while for skiing, camping, and once in a great while hunting.

Also took my kid on a train ride, "Thomas the tank engine" :)

ADK_40GLKr
02-29-2012, 21:55
Love Ithaca. It's "gorge-ous".

We usually spend a week there around Memorial Day, and a couple weeks around July 4. We have a travel trailer at Brooktondale Campground up on White Church Road

Upstate Glocker
02-29-2012, 23:26
The People's Republic of Ithaca is NOT in the Adirondacks. The Birkenstock crowd that dwells in Ithaca wouldn't last a winter in the real mountains.

The Adirondacks are roughly defined as the region inside the Blue Line, otherwise known as the Adirondack Park. The region is filled with hearty stock of French-Canadians who migrated south a hundred or so years ago. And then there are the New York City folk who vacation there. We tolerate them so long as they spend their money. Otherwise, not so much.

Lots of small gun clubs throughout the Adirondacks. DU is a popular club. Most homes have a few guns, mostly for hunting. The .30-30 is probably the most popular hunting rifle for deer, followed by .308. We're getting more moose these days along with coyotes and lots of black bear.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-01-2012, 08:30
The People's Republic of Ithaca is NOT in the Adirondacks. The Birkenstock crowd that dwells in Ithaca wouldn't last a winter in the real mountains.

The Adirondacks are roughly defined as the region inside the Blue Line, otherwise known as the Adirondack Park. The region is filled with hearty stock of French-Canadians who migrated south a hundred or so years ago. And then there are the New York City folk who vacation there. We tolerate them so long as they spend their money. Otherwise, not so much.

Lots of small gun clubs throughout the Adirondacks. DU is a popular club. Most homes have a few guns, mostly for hunting. The .30-30 is probably the most popular hunting rifle for deer, followed by .308. We're getting more moose these days along with coyotes and lots of black bear.

That's why I took my .30-06 up there to Birkenstock a deer with :) And drink Blue Light Canadian lager. And rode a moose home before the -30s hit, after spending a few loonies.

Golddog
03-01-2012, 14:45
I've spent many weeks over the past fifty years running, hiking, and kayaking in Adirondack back country. But -25 degree winter temperatures have convinced me to live in more southerly precincts.

ADK_40GLKr
03-02-2012, 09:15
I've spent many weeks over the past fifty years running, hiking, and kayaking in Adirondack back country. But -25 degree winter temperatures have convinced me to live in more southerly precincts.

Nothin much below zero this year! (though I HAVE seen minus 40 in Lake Placid)

Given the choice between minus 25 or urban sprawl would be pretty rough. Or is YOUR neck of the woods out in the "neck" of MD? (I like 81 out there where I can be in PA, MD, WV & VA all in an hour's time.)

Chesafreak
03-02-2012, 09:38
I lived just outside the Adirondack Park in Hannawa Falls and Canton when I worked in Potsdam from 1998 through 2001. I loved taking drives through the Adirondacks and sightseeing in many of the small towns throughout. My only regret is that I was so busy with work that I didn't do more camping and hiking there.

Teddy57
03-02-2012, 19:18
Live and work close to the ADK. Beautiful country up here and a pretty nice place to raise a family.

3rdgen40
03-03-2012, 07:49
Born and raised in the Adirondack Mountains, Ticonderoga to be specific.Living in Arkansas now though.

ADK_40GLKr
03-03-2012, 19:13
Live and work close to the ADK. Beautiful country up here and a pretty nice place to raise a family.

+1 makes being a gun owner in NYS almost bearable!

oily_oink
03-10-2012, 09:49
:welcome: From Michigan!

the iceman
03-10-2012, 12:29
Welcome aboard!

ADK_40GLKr
03-24-2012, 13:42
?..the Adirondack Park....region is filled with hearty stock of French-Canadians who migrated south a hundred or so years ago. And then there are the New York City folk who vacation there. We tolerate them so long as they spend their money. Otherwise, not so much. .

Hey Upstate! Where do you hail from? I call those NuYawkers "urban refugees" although there are a lot more across the lake in Burlington. Ever hear Bernie Sanders speak?

Adirondacks are also populated by Anglo-Saxon stock who gradually migrated westward after getting off the Mayflower, etc., and there will be a lot of Eastern European ancestry in the old logging or mining towns like Lyon Mountain.

You're probably aware that any North Country community of any size has at least two Catholic Churches: 1 for the French and 1 for the Irish and then there'll be an Episcopal or Methodist for us WASPS. (but THOSE ethnic barriers are starting to break down.)

gitira6
03-30-2012, 13:51
I'm from northeast Pa. but I spent a few years at the New York State Ranger School in Wanakena NY, just off of Rt 3, not far from Cranberry Lake/ Star Lake. Graduated in '96
and wish I could have landed a job there, and stayed. I wont forget 30 below and snowshoes.

gitira6
03-30-2012, 13:52
Also wont forget daily trips to the weather station in the middle of winter.

Vincine
03-30-2012, 13:59
Saranac Lake in the house.

gitira6
03-30-2012, 14:05
Saranac Lake in the house.

Spent alot of time in the bar down the street from Hotel Saranac on same side (its been too many years to remember the name), they had a bar on first floor and live bands on the second floor.

Vincine
03-30-2012, 16:20
Spent alot of time in the bar down the street from Hotel Saranac on same side (its been too many years to remember the name), they had a bar on first floor and live bands on the second floor.The Waterhole. Once it was called The Waterhole #3. I always wondered where #s 1 & 2 were. http://saranaclakewaterhole.com/

gitira6
03-30-2012, 18:40
The Waterhole. Once it was called The Waterhole #3. I always wondered where #s 1 & 2 were. http://saranaclakewaterhole.com/

Yes, the Waterhole, and there used to be the Watering hole near cranberry lake...

bac1023
03-31-2012, 14:39
...been up there before - very nice indeed :cool: