Beans. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Beans.

Bolster
02-28-2012, 21:04
Everybody stocks beans. They're healthy, full of protein, and they last a heckuva long time in storage.

But how do you fix 'em? Do you have any particularly good ways to eat beans? Ways to keep the gas down? (I've been reading that pinto, black-eyed, black, chick peas, mung, and red & pink lentil, all fall into the low-gas category. ) Any particular TYPE of beans you like?

lawman800
02-28-2012, 23:55
Bean-O FTW!

AA#5
02-29-2012, 01:03
Soaking them overnight in water with 3 tbsp salt cuts down on the gas. The salt makes them more durable so they don't come apart during cooking.

Rinse out the soaking water & cook in new water. You do have to stir them every 30 minutes or so for even cooking.

You're correct about the protein. Beans also have Omega fatty acids & are higher in fiber per serving than any food on the planet - especially soluble fiber which lowers cholesterol more effectively than statins. With most beans, only half a cup has 7 gms. fiber & among other benefits, it also regulates blood sugar.

Thre great in salads, casseroles, stews, they go with anything. I like them all...especially the red kidney beans.

Raiden
02-29-2012, 02:44
From my cookbook collection, I've found Indian and vegetarian cookbooks are often loaded with recipes, which liberally incorporate lentil flour. The best vegetarian burger patty I've had was mostly brown rice and lentils. If you have a used book store, you can usually find such cookbooks for super-cheap.

UneasyRider
02-29-2012, 05:45
Soaking them overnight in water with 3 tbsp salt cuts down on the gas. The salt makes them more durable so they don't come apart during cooking.

Rinse out the soaking water & cook in new water. You do have to stir them every 30 minutes or so for even cooking.

You're correct about the protein. Beans also have Omega fatty acids & are higher in fiber per serving than any food on the planet - especially soluble fiber which lowers cholesterol more effectively than statins. With most beans, only half a cup has 7 gms. fiber & among other benefits, it also regulates blood sugar.

Thre great in salads, casseroles, stews, they go with anything. I like them all...especially the red kidney beans.

Excellent answer! (That's just how my wife does it.)

phil evans
02-29-2012, 07:19
after about 4 years in storage pintos become hardened and will not adsorb water, you have to grind them then.
from literature and experience.

SFCSMITH(RET)
02-29-2012, 08:26
after about 4 years in storage pintos become hardened and will not adsorb water, you have to grind them then.
from literature and experience.

They will do about +10 in mylar w/ o2 absorbers.

Did some venison chili this weekend, beans packed in '01. bucket/mylar opened in Oct. of last year, nearly to the bottom of it, no problems yet, though soaking times are up/longer, they have been useable as beans. If they do get unsoakable, you can pressure cook them also.

@op: "The ALL-AMERICAN Bean Book" by Ted Waskey, and "Country Beans Cookbook" by Rita Bingham.

Bolster
02-29-2012, 09:30
I didn't know it was recommended to soak beans in salt water. Every recipe I read screams "no salt!" during the soaking process because it toughens the beans. But apparently this is contested (http://captious.wordpress.com/2006/05/01/common-bean-myths/). Whaddya know.

G29Reload
02-29-2012, 10:48
Soak, or open the canned ones and drain….cook on stove top, mix with rice and serve with hot sauce.

Bolster
04-01-2012, 18:33
Simple recipe I've been experimenting with, given to me by my favorite chef who knows how to cook simple as well as fancy. I'm into "frtless" beans as much as possible, so this recipe is modified to get as much of the frt out as possible (with all the water changes). Double the recipe in (parenthesis). Pintos, blacks, kidney and black-eyed give less gas than others.

1 (2) cups Beans, Check for rocks! Cover with water and bring to a boil for 5-10 minutes, dump and replace water, then soak overnight (or longer if in fridge) in twice as much water as beans. Empty that water, and put in Crock Pot. Fill pot the rest of the way with water. Cooking times: High, 4 hours, pour off water again. Add new water to “beanline” then add ingredients, 1 more hour, = 5 hours total. (Low, 7 hours, add ingredients, 1 hour on high = 8 hours total.)

1/2 C. (3/4 C.) Barbecue Sauce <- when acid added, beans stop cooking.
1 T (2 T) Brown Sugar
2 t (1 T) Dried Onion (or fresh)
1/2 t (1 t) Garlic Powder
Palmful Cilantro

Near done, you can add
1/2 t (1 t) Salt. (Some sources say that adding salt earlier increases toughness, others disagree and say you should salt early for better flavor.)

To make beans even less gassy, mash them after they're cooked (like refried beans).

phil evans
04-01-2012, 18:43
Simple recipe I've been experimenting with, given to me by my favorite chef who knows how to cook simple as well as fancy. I'm into "frtless" beans as much as possible, so this recipe is modified to get as much of the frt out as possible (with all the water changes). Double the recipe in (parenthesis). Pintos and blacks give less gas than others.

1 (2) cups Beans, Check for rocks! Cover with water and bring to a boil for 5-10 minutes, dump and replace water, then soak overnight (or longer if in fridge) in twice as much water as beans. Empty that water, and put in Crock Pot. Fill pot the rest of the way with water. Cooking times: High, 4 hours, pour off water again. Add new water to “beanline” then add ingredients, 1 more hour, = 5 hours total. (Low, 7 hours, add ingredients, 1 hour on high = 8 hours total.)

1/2 C. (3/4 C.) Barbecue Sauce
1 T (2 T) Brown Sugar
2 t (1 T) Dried Onion (or fresh)
1/2 t (1 t) Garlic Powder
Palmful Cilantro

When done, you can add
1/2 t (1 t) Salt.

beans go from nutrient rich to nutrient deficit when pouring off water twice and diluting flavor.

Bolster
04-01-2012, 18:44
beans go from nutrient rich to nutrient deficit when pouring off water twice and diluting flavor.

Not.

Beans don't go from protein rich to protein poor (the main nutrient) after multiple water pour-offs, and I rely on the ingredients for flavor, although I'm not convinced multiple pour-offs alters the flavor, either. What most cooks say alters flavor is the salting or lack of it.

"While you might imagine that pouring off that water, or even the juice from canned beans, washes nutrients down the drain, pouring is still recommended to cut down on trypsin inhibitors, increasing the nutrients in the long run."

http://www.ehow.com/about_6370767_red-kidney-beans-trypsin-experiments.html

"For many people, soaking beans and pouring off the soak water eliminates the embarrassing gas that comes from eating unsoaked beans. If it eliminates gas, then we also can conclude that the beans were more effectively digested."

http://support.amazingdiscoveries.org/index.php?pid=knowledgebase&cmd=viewentclient&id=270

M1A Shooter
04-01-2012, 21:28
i usually make Chili with small red kidney beans, Great northern beans in country ham hocks and beans, and split green pea soup.

i have also pre-cooked a few jars of the great northern beans in my pressure canner. they come out well and if there is no power, mine are pre-cooked and shelf stable.

Javelin
04-01-2012, 21:43
Mine are all in cans ready to eat (I don't keep but a 4 week supply of food though).

:wavey:

Kingarthurhk
04-01-2012, 22:28
Beans

Beans

Beans

The magical fruit

The more you eat

The more you toot

The more you toot

The better you feeel!
:supergrin:

TangoFoxtrot
04-02-2012, 04:49
Red kidney beans.

Bolster
04-06-2012, 14:32
Why aren't lentils considered a superior option to beans?

They cook much faster with lower heat and less time.

And in MHO, they taste better, too.

But you always hear of people stocking beans.

cyrsequipment
04-06-2012, 14:41
Why aren't lentils considered a superior option to beans?

They cook much faster with lower heat and less time.

And in MHO, they taste better, too.

But you always hear of people stocking beans.

We're Americans, the country just likes beans better. :supergrin:

Lentils are better in several ways (I'm pretty sure that they offer a more complete protein than kidney beans) but I prefer beans just for the taste.

Bolster
04-06-2012, 14:47
We're Americans, the country just likes beans better. :supergrin:

Them dang foreign legumes! Yew kin never trust 'em. I heered Bin Laden ate lentils!

:rofl:

cyrsequipment
04-06-2012, 14:48
Them dang foreign legumes! Yew kin never trust 'em.

:rofl:

Commies

quake
04-06-2012, 18:19
Lentils are better, for the reasons mentioned.

If we're going to be xenophobic, how can we rationalize being at glocktalk in the first place? Wouldn't we have to stick to brycotalk or hipointtalk...? :tongueout:

Keoking
04-06-2012, 18:47
But how do you fix 'em? Do you have any particularly good ways to eat beans? Ways to keep the gas down?

Gas should not be a big concern unless your panic room is air tight.

schild
04-06-2012, 19:04
Anasazi Beans

cyrsequipment
04-06-2012, 20:43
Lentils are better, for the reasons mentioned.

If we're going to be xenophobic, how can we rationalize being at glocktalk in the first place? Wouldn't we have to stick to brycotalk or hipointtalk...? :tongueout:

How dare you interject logic into this discussion. Commie.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine