AR time [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR time

r3dot
02-28-2012, 21:47
I'm looking to add an AR to the collection. I want it for the fun factor (shooting once a month or more), but also as a great, reliable combat gun (both for home, and you know, zombies).

I would really like to keep it under a grand. The lower the better. There are a lot of AR's on the local classifieds, but I don't know anything about them.

Caliber choice?

faawrenchbndr
02-28-2012, 21:56
Colt 6920
Stag
Daniel Defense
Bravo Company

All good choices,........5.56mm would be my recommendation.

WoodenPlank
02-28-2012, 21:59
Colt 6920
Stag
Daniel Defense
Bravo Company

All good choices,........5.56mm would be my recommendation.

Agreed, except I don't have enough experience with Stag to suggest them. i would suggest LaRue or LMT, though, in addition to Colt, DD and Bravo.

Best place to start is a mid-length, 16" upper with either a fixed front sight and standard handguards, or folding front and a QUALITY rail system. Either one of those leaves you with plenty of ways to tweak it to your personal tastes as you figure out what you like. Top it off with a quality rear sight, and a quality optic (Aimpoint, ACOG, or EO Tech) and plenty of good mags and ammo. If budget is a bit tight, spend as much as you can to get a QUALITY rifle, and enough ammo and mags to start learning the platform, and save the optic for later.

Glockdude1
02-28-2012, 22:01
The choices in the AR world are just about limitless right now.

:cool:

r3dot
02-28-2012, 22:10
...and I don't know anything about them.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. Another thing I want out of an AR, is that ability to eat cheap ammo. I don't know the ammo prices well, but just a quick glimpse at a major retail store (Cabela's) 640 rounds of steel cased .223 is just under $150. Are AR's picky about ammo choices?

WoodenPlank
02-28-2012, 22:18
...and I don't know anything about them.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. Another thing I want out of an AR, is that ability to eat cheap ammo. I don't know the ammo prices well, but just a quick glimpse at a major retail store (Cabela's) 640 rounds of steel cased .223 is just under $150. Are AR's picky about ammo choices?

Some are, some are not. My LMT 10.5" upper is picky about ammo, but there are reasons for it (optimized for 5.56 from the factory, and meant to not be over-gassed when suppressed, combined with the short barrel). Most 16" carbines should eat the cheap stuff with little to no problems, though. If you get one that will not, there are usually easy and cheap ways to improve that (different buffer, different extractor springs, etc).

If you stick with reliable, mid-to-top end companies, you shouldn't have too many issues. If you do, they usually have good enough customer service to see to it that you wind up satisfied.

RatDrall
02-29-2012, 05:18
The top tier rifles usually feed crappy ammo better than the corner cut special brands.

You can put a Bravo Company rifle together for less than $1000 now, especially if you buy one of their "blemished" complete lowers.

akgunnut
02-29-2012, 06:06
I see several websites offering the Colt 6920 for under 1,000 dollars. They may or may not be out of stock though I haven't checked. Mine will eat Wolf ammo with no problem, although it takes longer to clean the gun after shooting such dirty ammo.

eracer
02-29-2012, 06:10
LaRue?
LMT?

Under $1000?

:rofl:

zhix
02-29-2012, 12:07
From what I have been hearing on here and from my usual shop the pre-election panic buying has already begun.

You may have to go a little above $1000 for a Colt, though they were going cheap enough where you could get one at that price OTD.

It's really hard to go wrong with a 6920 or similar Colt, the name will help it retain or go up in value, and You're getting better quality than the cheaper brands. I personally do not reccomend Stag Arms.

alexanderg23
02-29-2012, 12:22
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits/16-4150-chrome-lined-mid-length-rifle-kit.html

good 1st one. just get a lower, and youtube how to put together a ar-15 lower.

michael_b
02-29-2012, 13:00
If you buy a separate upper, how well do most lower's finishes match up?

Posted from my iPhone

r3dot
02-29-2012, 15:42
What makes the Colt so great? At a grand, there seem to be a lot of options, and for just a few hundred more, you're opened up to a lot more.

Colt vs. bravo company? It looks like I can build one from Bravo for ~289-319 for a complete lower, plus 399 for a complete upper.

Direct impingement vs gas?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits/16-4150-chrome-lined-mid-length-rifle-kit.html

good 1st one. just get a lower, and youtube how to put together a ar-15 lower.

I've looked at Palmetto before when they were selling complete lowers and uppers for around $600. I don't really want to do a complete build right now.

WoodenPlank
02-29-2012, 17:02
If you buy a separate upper, how well do most lower's finishes match up?

Posted from my iPhone

It's often a crap-shoot. I've had good luck with it, though. All the different combinations I have had were close enough that it never bothered me.

r3dot
02-29-2012, 17:16
BTW, I can get the Colt 6920 for $995 + tax locally. Again, what makes the Colt better than building one for ~$800ish?

The handle on the Colt is something I really dislike. It's removable, yeah?

WoodenPlank
02-29-2012, 17:26
BTW, I can get the Colt 6920 for $995 + tax locally. Again, what makes the Colt better than building one for ~$800ish?

Yeah, all the current ones should be sporting removable carry handles.

As for what makes the Colt better... mostly the fact that it says Colt on it. Several companies offer comparable or better products for similar (or even lower) pricing than Colt, all without Colt's previous history of being dicks to civilians. BCM is a good example of this.

SCSU74
02-29-2012, 17:26

The carry handle? On the 6920 it is removeable yes. Colt makes good ****. Quality control is great, gun functions well, havent had a single issue with mine. As long as you stay with a quality manufacturer you won't have a problem. There's not any one reason why a colt is better than a DD or vice versa. Both will serve you well if you take care of them. Shop around I know DD and several other companies are offering packages with optics and magpul furniture if that interests you.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

r3dot
02-29-2012, 17:31
Shop around I know DD and several other companies are offering packages with optics and magpul furniture if that interests you.

Any idea where? Everything I've seen from DD has been ~$1500

WoodenPlank
02-29-2012, 17:40
Any idea where? Everything I've seen from DD has been ~$1500

Take a peek over here (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-Upper-Receiver-Groups-AR15-s/122.htm)...

DD 16" complete uppers(with BCG and DD1.5 rear), with choice of 12" FSP M4 rail or 9.5" FSP Lite rail for $850. Considering either of those rails retail for over $300, by the time you add a complete (basic) lower, you're getting a pretty damn good deal for the money.

Edit: Whoops, realized those are both out of stock. That does give you a good idea of what you can get for pricing if you shop around a bit, though, and catch a sale.

SCSU74
02-29-2012, 17:43
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_802553_-1_757784_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

r3dot
02-29-2012, 17:52
eerrrpp. Nevermind. Colt's are sold out at my store.

whoops dude
02-29-2012, 18:19
Stag is a good company that tends to fly under the radar. They make an excellent rifle and stand behind their product. As we get closer to elections and economic turmoil, most AR's will be worth their weight in gold regardless of the brand IMO.

r3dot
02-29-2012, 19:01
Thoughts?

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st15-16-midlength-le-carbine-p-443.html

Two_Clicks
02-29-2012, 19:05
Thoughts?

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st15-16-midlength-le-carbine-p-443.html

Love my Spikes I was surprised they weren't mentioned yet...also throw CMMG in the mix I own one of each and haven't had any issues with either

r3dot
02-29-2012, 20:00
Is the spikes the best for the money?

Carbine length vs mid length?

zhix
02-29-2012, 20:14
Stag is a good company that tends to fly under the radar. They make an excellent rifle and stand behind their product. As we get closer to elections and economic turmoil, most AR's will be worth their weight in gold regardless of the brand IMO.

How many and which model Stags do you own, and have you had to use their customer service?

K. Foster
02-29-2012, 22:06

This refers to the length of the gas tube. The middy is 2" longer. A middy has a slightly softer recoil impulse which causes less wear on parts. How much less wear isnít really known but it isnít very much. As far as felt recoil? I have 1 middy and 2 carbines and I can not detect any appreciable difference. Probably the biggest advantage to a middy is a longer sight radius and more rail space.
In a nut shell, all the advantages go to the middy but the difference isnít earth shattering.
Spikes is a good value, Iíd also look at PSA.

DubfromGA
03-01-2012, 11:25
I've been doing some AR searching myself. First AR, too.

My LGS has some LMT CQB16 coming in.....in two months. Top shelf quality. The LMT that I examined (.308) was the best feeling rifle of any type I've ever held. I want it, bad.

That being said, I didn't want to wait two months.

I followed the advice of several guys I know who are AR savvy. I'm ordering a Daniel Defense.

r3dot
03-01-2012, 15:37
Spike's is 6-10 weeks for turn around time. ARGH! DD is more than I want to spend right now.

whoops dude
03-01-2012, 16:23
How many and which model Stags do you own, and have you had to use their customer service?I own the model 4 but have experience with others. I haven't personally had to use their customer service but a buddy of mine had an issue with his model 1 and they promptly corrected it at no charge to him.

r3dot
03-01-2012, 17:07
Ended up ordering from Delta Three Tactical. He's building me an AR with a Noveske upper and a Spike's lower.

John Creasy
03-01-2012, 21:39
I've got a Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine,its one of the first one's that came out and it has treated me well.
I've also a LMT in 7.62 and a POF in 7.62,both run like a champ!

G19freak
03-01-2012, 23:52
Colt vs. bravo company? It looks like I can build one from Bravo for ~289-319 for a complete lower, plus 399 for a complete upper.

That $399 upper is far from complete--you'll still need:

Handguards--$25 to $250
Charging handle--$25-$50
Bolt/carrier--$140

Cole125
03-02-2012, 00:45
I've looked at Palmetto before when they were selling complete lowers and uppers for around $600. I don't really want to do a complete build right now.

First, get a DI. Why? Well google is your friend.

Second, its very easy to build a lower. I would go the PSA rifle kit rout. Why? You will save money and end up with a good rifle. Look at PSA's specs.

Glockz0r
03-02-2012, 02:24
First, get a DI. Why? Well google is your friend.

Second, its very easy to build a lower. I would go the PSA rifle kit rout. Why? You will save money and end up with a good rifle. Look at PSA's specs.

I agree. Palmetto State Armory seems to be the bee's knees in terms of quality vs cost, especially if you go with a FN produced hammer forged barrel. You can tailor the kit to your liking if they have it in stock. Which is the biggest problem at the moment. PSA has gotten a lot of attention and thus sales so their stock comes and goes rather quickly. Also it can take them 10 to 15 business days to build your upper/lower and mail it out.

My PSA upper arrived in 11 calendar days since placing my order and the lower will arrive at my FFL in even less time so there is that. If you need to contact PSA you will have to email them or IM one of their reps on various firearm forums because their phones are ALWAYS busy and you will never get through, heh.

xXGearheadXx
03-02-2012, 07:27
try one in .300BLK!

Hour13
03-02-2012, 07:52
If you want an affordable, reliable rifle to learn the platform... S&W Sport. $600 OTD almost anywhere. Will devour anything you feed it. No forward assist or ejection port dust door, but that can be fixed for $100, including the barrel nut wrench. DSA stripped upper receiver, DPMS assist & dust door. I did this mod to a Sport, functioned beautifully.

Ok, flame away!

Lol, now if you you want to jump in and start with really high quality, in that price range...

Bravo Company.
Bravo Company.
Bravo Company.
Bravo Company.
Bravo Company.

IMHO, the best bang for the buck. Top-notch gear, CS is fantastic, and the price is unreal for the quality you're getting. I have a few BCM builds in the works right now.

Hour13
03-02-2012, 08:01
Here's a price breakdown of one of the BCMs I'm putting together right now...

Dreadnaught lower ~ $100

BCM 16" carbine upper ~ $400

Auto-spec BCG ~ $145

Gunfighter charging handle ~ $45

Daniel Def lower parts group ~ $80

Moe rails ~ $25

Moe kit ~ $140

(2) Pmags ~ $30

DD fixed rear sight ~ $69

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DI/BCM build TOTAL ~ $1,034

jrs93accord
03-02-2012, 08:49

Spikes is good stuff. They have built a very good reputation over the past few years and they have good quality products.

As far as the carbine/mid-length question, it is personal preference. There are a lot of carbines out there. I own several myself. The mid-lengths are coming into their own. There are several that like the slower dwell time on the middy. I just assembled my first middy and it is going to the range in about an hour. For the first time, I will get to feel the actual difference.

SCSU74
03-02-2012, 09:57
Ended up ordering from Delta Three Tactical. He's building me an AR with a Noveske upper and a Spike's lower.

How'd you go from spikes to noveske? Pretty big jump

r3dot
03-02-2012, 18:08
How'd you go from spikes to noveske? Pretty big jump

Made a call looking for a Spike's complete rifle and ended up getting into a chat with the store owner, which led to him offering me a good deal.