no standing pilots [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : no standing pilots

jljbtm
02-28-2012, 22:00
All of the new gas appliances use some sort of electric for a spark or to power a glow plug in order to heat water or air. so when the power goes out many of us won't have hot water as the new tanks use electricity instead of a standing pilot to operate.
And forget about baking anything in your gas oven as the temp. is maintained by an electric powered glow plug in many of them (no standing pilot) you can cook on the stove and even heat water on the stove even with an electric spark ignition as the burner can be lit with a match.

Just sayin there is something else to think about.

Someone who knows more about these appliances might be able to make a "hack" recommendation like using batteries? for temporary use.

sebecman
02-29-2012, 08:40
I have no experience with gas appliances that require electricity but can you not just light the burner with a match if the pilot is out??

That's all I ever did on my old one.

daystrom
02-29-2012, 08:57
You can light the stove top with a match but as jljbtm said, ovens use an electric igniter that glows red hot to ignite the oven.

quake
02-29-2012, 11:12
I've seen the ones with the ignitors (piezo, etc) going back to the 1970's, but the last stove/oven I installed, probably 2005(?), still used pilot lights for the oven and burners both. It was a low-end unit, installing it in a rent house we had; may be that the better ones use ignitors & cheaper ones use pilots? Or may be that nowadays they all do use ignitors; don't know beyond that one cheap one I installed 6-8 years ago.

nightwolf1974
03-04-2012, 19:02
Don't rely on electronic ignitions! MOST can not be lit with a match. IT"S a pain BUT if you scour AMAZON.COM you WILL find a gas stove/oven with pilot lights. I DID! They run about $375 +$180 for shipping for a 30" oven, less for a 20"! GOOD LUCK!!!!!

quake
03-04-2012, 19:26
This thread re-appearing at the top got me curious, so I did a quick online search at homedepot.com and lowes.com.

Searching for "gas stove" and then sorting the results based on lowest price first, the first several results at both sites show pilot-light type ignition.