Clips or Straps? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Clips or Straps?

JGulley317
02-28-2012, 21:41
I really hope I'm making the right decision for my first holster...I have no experience when it comes to buying holsters. In a earlier post I asked for recommendations and boy did I get it. First on the line I choose to fork out 170 big ones for the High Noon Down Under which can be seen here...

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Down_Under_Clips_Alligator/down_under_clips_alligator.html

One question I forgot to ask is...which is better, clips or straps? Because it's offered in both.

When your inexperienced in buying holsters it's a real shot in the dark, but don't you worry. I've got my bag or drawer ready. I'll be buying another IWB holster from another company (holster not yet determined) after a month with this one. There are some others I'd like to try and I've come to the realization that it's just trail and error. If you don't like that holster, don't get it from the co. again...

I originally wanted to get the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2, though I currently don't have a IWB holster, so waiting 20+ weeks is not an option at the moment. This holster is for my Glock 26.

Thanks for your feedback, Gulley

Michael9418
02-28-2012, 21:56
I like this fairly new but feels good!!http://img.tapatalk.com/6cc3122e-affc-1126.jpg

If you view life at 50 the same way you did at 25 you have wasted 25 years of your life. Mohammad Ali

JGulley317
02-28-2012, 22:03
I like this fairly new but feels good!!

If you view life at 50 the same way you did at 25 you have wasted 25 years of your life. Mohammad Ali

Nice holster! I think they will be the next one I try out.

SCC
02-28-2012, 22:12
straps

JGulley317
02-28-2012, 22:13
straps

Haha, any reason or just because you say so?

pokey074
02-28-2012, 22:29
There's no better or worse, it's just personal preference. I prefer clips as they're lower profile. Most of the loops I've seen either stick out to far or are made of a rubbery material that seems like it would grab your shirt.

lyodbraun
02-29-2012, 04:34
Thats alot of money for such a cheapy looking holster, you could get a much better one IMO for alot less, that just dont look like It is that great, for the price...

Golddog
02-29-2012, 07:04
Why do the looks of an IWB matter? Nobody sees it anyway. Comfort, concealability, safety, and ease of holstering and reholstering ought to trump aesthetics in an IWB.

Patchman
02-29-2012, 07:22
$170 is way too much for that holster. Even with the alligator trim, it's way too much. Just get an IWB with a reinforced mouth. As someone noted, it's an IWB. No body should be seeing how pretty it is.

As for metal clip or leather loop (strap), definitely loop.

With loop, you holster will never come out of your pants either accidently or when you draw your gun.

Patchman
02-29-2012, 07:30
And if you're getting a IWB for a G26, consider getting the holster sized for a G19. A G19 holster fits a G26 gun, but not visa versa.

If you ever decide to purchase and CCW a G19, the holster will still fit. It'll be 1/2-inch longer at the barrel end, but as an IWB, no one will see. And you'll notice that extra 1/2 inch makes the entire holster more stable while carried.

And saves some money on an extra holster too.

DesertEagle
02-29-2012, 08:48
I have just the regular down under for my 23, it's the only holster I've had for about 10 years. Now mine was a gift from a fellow GTer in my local area who I ended up meeting with and befriending years back. That said, I have not seen the need to get a new holster till just recently - and that more for variety and the ability to expand my carry options, not due to any issues with the Down Under. Holster has held up fine (albeit it far from EDC). I also vote for straps, more secure than clips.

Does seem like their prices have gone up in the last year. I seem to remember before christmas looking at their site and a regular was around $65 or $75, rather than $99.95, but I could very well be mistaken.

Bill Lumberg
02-29-2012, 09:14
Mother of god. Buy a holster with two loops or straps. It will perform better all around. And for goodness sake, run from that particular holster. It's a $40.00 holster at a double-custom-gunleather price. Clips or straps, as long as they go on the belt, both work fine.

dosei
02-29-2012, 10:03
That is quite possibly the MOST OBSCENLY OVERPRICE holster of all time.

As for strap vs. clip, straps (with one-way or Pull-the-Dot snaps) are more secure.

JGulley317
02-29-2012, 10:08
Hey everyone, I found the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 I wanted!

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9922/avs|Manufacturer_1=MILT%20SPARKS%20HOLSTERS/Product/SEMI-AUTO-SUMMER-SPECIAL-2 (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9922/avs%7CManufacturer_1=MILT%20SPARKS%20HOLSTERS/Product/SEMI-AUTO-SUMMER-SPECIAL-2)

What do you think? Is this a reputable company?

dosei
02-29-2012, 10:14
Hey everyone, I found the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 I wanted!

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9922/avs|Manufacturer_1=MILT%20SPARKS%20HOLSTERS/Product/SEMI-AUTO-SUMMER-SPECIAL-2 (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9922/avs%7CManufacturer_1=MILT%20SPARKS%20HOLSTERS/Product/SEMI-AUTO-SUMMER-SPECIAL-2)

What do you think? Is this a reputable company?

Yes, Brownells has been around a long time and is very reputable.

High Noon seems to have decided to increase the price of their holsters by $100.00. They are not worth that much.

JGulley317
02-29-2012, 10:27
Yes, Brownells has been around a long time and is very reputable.

High Noon seems to have decided to increase the price of their holsters by $100.00. They are not worth that much.

I agree! I didn't want to fork out that much in the first place. I really wanted the Milt Sparks. A friend gave me the link. So I will now get what I want!

fuzzy03cls
02-29-2012, 12:56
Clips. I have have loops come apart on me more then once. When bending down, or crawling under a desk, or some other strange movements. I have also had them stretch out & not stay securely on the belt.

Patchman
02-29-2012, 13:00
The photo looks like the cant angle is the 15-degrees/FBI cant. And it doesn't look like it's adjustable. If that cant angle works for you, then go for it.

valian
03-01-2012, 05:34
The clip on Fist holsters has an added hook in the center that prevents it from ever slipping over my belt. If you are thinking of clip for the convenience i recommend Fist holsters or any other holster using this style of clip

alwaysshootin
03-01-2012, 07:39
I have a Milt Sparks Summer Special II for a full size 1911. It is a fabulous holster. No ifs, ands, or buts, about it. That being said, my last 3 carry holsters, have been Comptac Infidels. They all have the clip. At about half the price of the Milt Sparks, all I can say is, my carry weapon might change, but my holster won't! It will be a Comptac Infidel!!!!!!!!!!!

Kodiak Ken
03-02-2012, 18:01
Most of us have a box full of holsters that we have tried over the years, I know I do. It's a process of finding what works for you. I have tried straps but now prefer clips. I find a clip makes it easier to put on and take off. For those times when i have go into a building where I have to remove the gun, I find the clip makes it easier. (A well designed clip will not, in my experience, will not allow the holster to come out with my gun.)
The Comptac Infidel mentioned above is a fine holster, I wore one every day for a couple years. Currently I use a Silent Thunder IWB with a clip made by Garrett Industries. Very much like the Comptac Infidel but leather lined which makes it less noisy.

Patchman
03-02-2012, 18:21
Metal clips, when new, are secure. But people have a habit of pulling on the clip outwards (away from body) when removing the holster. After extended and repeatedly doing this, the clip will lose it's spring tension (something about metal fatigue), and thus it's ability to securely retain the holster on the belt.

So if you don't remove your clip holster that way, then no problems.

ca survivor
03-03-2012, 08:48
I use Don Hume's with a clip, because the straps, by the time I finish putting them on I will most likely have pulled a muscle in my back. :rofl: