Umbilical Cord Jerky [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Umbilical Cord Jerky

runcible68
02-29-2012, 00:18
Despite my dislike of National Geographic's show, Doomsday Preppers, I watched it again tonight. It's irresistible, like a watching a car crash with guns.

Tonight, I think I saw the craziest person featured thus far on the show. He was a former Marine who, not satisfied with modernity, decided to decamp to the Maine woods with his wife and three children. This guy's apocalyptic fear is that the world will become over-populated and the extra billions will come and take all his food.

Here's just some samples of his freakiness.

1) Said preparedness was more important than saving for his children's college tuition.

2) Took kids out of school to "examine their skill set" in the woods. Made kid drink water squeezed out of moss. Giarda anyone?

3) The middle boy, who seems normal, isn't that happy with all his Dad's antics. The father said, not an exact quote, "He (The boy) is the one who has walked furthest from my path." Cue Helter Skelter!

4) Eschews guns for protection. Has trained his oldest son to wield tomahawks.

5) Pointed a toy gun at the back of his daughter's head while teaching her disarming techniques. An eight year old disarming a grown man? The odds are slim.

6) Wears homemade buckskin clothing.

7) Picks up roadkill and eats it. (In this case a groundhog.)

8) Uses bird sounds as an early warning system.

9) Has that faraway crazy look in his eyes.

10) And, finally, when his youngest son passed his "Rite of Passage" test (Building a waterproof shelter out of leaves) the father said, "You're no longer a little kid" and presented him with his umbilical cord which had been saved since his birth - wrapped in sage and some other grass! Jerky anyone?

My wife said this guy was a blend of far right and far left. Like a paranoid hippie with paranoid delusions of grandeur. On the other hand, I liked how he did spend a lot of time with his children and, in a world where so many kids are neglected, I was prepared to cut the guy some slack. But when I saw the umbilical cord thing, it confirmed that the Dad was certifiable bat guano crazy.

And did you catch the prepper in Salt Lake City? She said she had spent $30K on preps in the past couple of years! She preps four hours a day and her house looks like a Mountain House hoarder's heaven. I wasn't surprised when she said her prepping kept her from having any long term relationships.

The entertainment value of this show is tremendous!

Foxtrotx1
02-29-2012, 01:00
Um where is CPS when you need them?

Ronaldo
02-29-2012, 10:33
Just another example of the mass media/government connection, joining forces to ridicule and denigrate preparedness and survivalism. Their goal is to force greater dependency and less self-sustainability. Personal responsibility is made to look strange and irrational. Ridicule is the greatest weapon of propagandists.

Note that all ther current preparedness shows portray us as loony and unbalanced kooks.

Your tax dollars hard at work, helping the government to help you...

Ronaldo

G29Reload
02-29-2012, 10:42
And did you catch the prepper in Salt Lake City? She said she had spent $30K on preps in the past couple of years! She preps four hours a day and her house looks like a Mountain House hoarder's heaven.

These types either can't count, are totally impulsive or are prepping for something we realistically can't survive.

30K? It took me several months of just picking up a little extra when ordinary food shopping to build to a years supply.

I calculated with an Excel spreadsheet based on calorie count. Anything north of 1500 calories a day for one year and I'm done.

Buying exorbitant amounts of food with out bothering to calculate endurance means she's probably overbought. By years even.

There's common sense ways to go about practical prepping and there's nuts. I can see survival instinct attracting impulsive hoarders looking to justify their neurosis.

G29Reload
02-29-2012, 10:45
10) And, finally, when his youngest son passed his "Rite of Passage" test (Building a waterproof shelter out of leaves) the father said, "You're no longer a little kid" and presented him with his umbilical cord which had been saved since his birth - wrapped in sage and some other grass! Jerky anyone?

Kid to Father Like That: Medical waste? Find someone else to speak at your funeral. I'm out of here. :shocked:

kalifornia
02-29-2012, 10:53
umbilical cord- I must watch now, excuse me please

Ruble Noon
02-29-2012, 19:34
Despite my dislike of National Geographic's show, Doomsday Preppers, I watched it again tonight. It's irresistible, like a watching a car crash with guns.

Tonight, I think I saw the craziest person featured thus far on the show. He was a former Marine who, not satisfied with modernity, decided to decamp to the Maine woods with his wife and three children. This guy's apocalyptic fear is that the world will become over-populated and the extra billions will come and take all his food.

Here's just some samples of his freakiness.

1) Said preparedness was more important than saving for his children's college tuition.

2) Took kids out of school to "examine their skill set" in the woods. Made kid drink water squeezed out of moss. Giarda anyone?

3) The middle boy, who seems normal, isn't that happy with all his Dad's antics. The father said, not an exact quote, "He (The boy) is the one who has walked furthest from my path." Cue Helter Skelter!

4) Eschews guns for protection. Has trained his oldest son to wield tomahawks.

5) Pointed a toy gun at the back of his daughter's head while teaching her disarming techniques. An eight year old disarming a grown man? The odds are slim.

6) Wears homemade buckskin clothing.

7) Picks up roadkill and eats it. (In this case a groundhog.)

8) Uses bird sounds as an early warning system.

9) Has that faraway crazy look in his eyes.

My wife said this guy was a blend of far right and far left. Like a paranoid hippie with paranoid delusions of grandeur. On the other hand, I liked how he did spend a lot of time with his children and, in a world where so many kids are neglected, I was prepared to cut the guy some slack. But when I saw the umbilical cord thing, it confirmed that the Dad was certifiable bat guano crazy.

And did you catch the prepper in Salt Lake City? She said she had spent $30K on preps in the past couple of years! She preps four hours a day and her house looks like a Mountain House hoarder's heaven. I wasn't surprised when she said her prepping kept her from having any long term relationships.

The entertainment value of this show is tremendous!

I'll agree that the guy is a little too hippie however, he did seem to have a pretty good skill set. I think he needs a little something more for defense though besides tomahawks and throwing sticks.

As far as birds for an early warning system, don't discount them too soon. If you watch and listen, birds are very good at warning you if something is going on. Squirrels are also pretty good at raising the alarm. That said, around the house, you can't beat a bunch of Guinea hens for an alarm system.

G29Reload
02-29-2012, 20:01
As far as birds for an early warning system, don't discount them too soon. If you watch and listen, birds are very good at warning you if something is going on. Squirrels are also pretty good at raising the alarm. That said, around the house, you can't beat a bunch of Guinea hens for an alarm system.

I have a couple dozen deer on my front lawn every afternoon mowing the grass. If they suddenly dart off like a bat out of hell, I go look to see what's up. Has alerted me a couple of times to things important…dangerous stray dogs, cars coming up the driveway, etc...

billyblooshoes
03-01-2012, 12:21
i like how he equated getting hit with a throwing stick to that of the blast from a 12ga.

lawman800
03-01-2012, 14:32
Propaganda at its finest. Sure, some of these people are extreme but that has nothing to do with us who try to be reasonable in preps to make sure we are not put out by the things that would normally wreck most people's lives.

ray9898
03-06-2012, 15:03
These shows are not about normal preppers, it is about those on the fringe who normally have illogical beliefs. I do not see why everyone thinks it is some great conspiracy.

Bolster
03-06-2012, 15:09
Great post, runc.

Someone help me understand this, I'm confused: There's definitely some sort of campaign underway to mock preparedness. The media are really jumping on it to show the movement as deranged and scary. (Reminds me of the treatment that "militias" got a few years ago.) Generally the liberal establishment/government is behind a mock-you campaign like this.

But in this case we have a whole gov't bureaucracy devoted to prepping and preparedness:

http://www.fema.gov/

What's the deal with the social engineering elitists both encouraging and mocking prepping, simultaneously?

:dunno: