Front sight on rail instead of gas block? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Front sight on rail instead of gas block?

C/O-RC
02-29-2012, 10:02
needed a back up sight for my S&W M&P 15 OR. I didnt want to break the bank on a back up sight so i went with the magpul sight. the only problem is you cant put it on the gas block. will it look silly on the rail behind the gas block or is that a normal thing? ill update with pics when it comes in.

faawrenchbndr
02-29-2012, 10:27
Many have run the MBUS sight on a gas block without issues.
Mount it to the gas block, as long as you do not do multiple
mag dumps, the MBUS will be fine.

C/O-RC
02-29-2012, 10:33
Many have run the MBUS sight on a gas block without issues.
Mount it to the gas block, as long as you do not do multiple
mag dumps, the MBUS will be fine.

thats good to hear, i never do mag dumps.

faawrenchbndr
02-29-2012, 11:10
Then you SHOULD be fine. I personally have never tried it,
but a friend has about 3500 rounds through a a rifle with a
gas block mounted MBUS, he has not had any issues.

Jeff82
02-29-2012, 11:21
Gas block FS and rail FS are different heights. Get what you need.

faawrenchbndr
02-29-2012, 11:47
Gas block FS and rail FS are different heights. Get what you need.

The OP's gas block is the same height as the receiver rail.

Gunnut 45/454
02-29-2012, 12:03
I had to mount mine on the rail as it covers the the gas block on my CMMG freefloat rail 300 Blk. Either way should be fine.:supergrin:

LSUAdman
02-29-2012, 12:10
I didnt trust it with mine. I ended up getting a great deal one Christmas on HK style Troy sites, and love them to death.

I dont do mag dumps either, but after about a hundred rounds over the course of an hour, that block got hot - just keep that in mind.

cowboy1964
02-29-2012, 14:48
Pay once, cry once.

You don't need flip ups for the front, IMO. I have a Daniel Defense fixed front on mine. Am actually considering putting in a fixed A2 sight gas block (I have a slight cant in the block and need to work on it anyway).

C/O-RC
03-01-2012, 12:13
PICS

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

C/O-RC
03-01-2012, 12:18
Pay once, cry once.

You don't need flip ups for the front, IMO. I have a Daniel Defense fixed front on mine. Am actually considering putting in a fixed A2 sight gas block (I have a slight cant in the block and need to work on it anyway).

i know all about pay once cry once and im a firm believer but its my first rifle and i want to make all my mistakes on this one. My red dot and rear sight will be here soon