.380 versus 9mm and I have searched [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .380 versus 9mm and I have searched

RAAMaudio
02-29-2012, 12:37
I owned a very expensive and fine working .380, had a CCW, decades ago but never felt secure with such a tiny caliber.

Now even better, smaller, lighter weight guns and better ammo is easy to get but I still do not have a warm and fuzzy feeling it is enough for a really serious threat (I have a very good reason to be concerned about this issue)

I have searched all over this forum, checked many ammo balistics, etc and feel I must pick a 9mm though the most compact ones are still quite a bit larger and my wife has to be able to handle it comfortably as well as I do.

We will have a G27 in the lock box in the main vehicle and one for her as well as my G29 and Moss 500 at home but I want something for the pocket for certain situations.

I know many carry a .380 and I like the size, I am 5'8", 170 lbs, pretty solid so not many places to hide a larger gun but just want some help here deciding if I just have to go to the 9mm to really do this right.

I have looked at the Kel Tec, Kahr, DB and other options, seems the Kel Tec is now quite reliable and less money, Kahr might be easier to handle, DB is interesting but nobody seems to have one in stock around here I know of. There is a gun show in SLC Sat I could attend but I have a race car I need to get to roll cage done on and way behind.

Thanks for your help, again I looked and expected to find the answers without starting a new thread but sometimes if you do not get the perfect search term, even .380 by itself, did not find my answers.

Sincerely
Rick

Mas Ayoob
02-29-2012, 21:14
Rick, I hate to sound like an enabler here, but reading between the lines, it sounds as if you've already made your decision.

And, if it's the decision I think it is, I concur with it.

Today's baby 9mm Parabellums are the same size if not smaller and lighter than most of yesteryear's .380s.

Think Kahr PM9 or CM9. Or the Ruger baby 9mm, or the Kahr PF9, both of which in the past year have been leaving their factories with much smoother triggers than in the past, from the specimens I've seen.

You're on the right track. You just need to pick the gun that works best for you and her, which only you and she can determine.

Wish you the best. Feel free to come on back here and let us all know what you decide on.

best,
Mas

RAAMaudio
03-04-2012, 21:45
Thanks Mas:)

I took my wife to a well stocked store and she loved the DB380 so I bought her one, the EXO version. The next morning I spend a couple of hours micro polishing everything that even looked like it might have a function, touch a part that did, etc...and I racked it a few hundred times before and after. Now it is smooth as butter, trigger pull included( though a bit long so looking at ideas to shorting it a bit)

I have not fired it yet, I plan on a very extensive session with it and if it does the job, 100% of the time, she will carry it, if not or very very dang close, it will be sold and then replaced with something there is no doubt about.

------------------

I am probably going to buy a 9mm as well but will look at all of them first, especially your recommendations.

I need one that is fairly comfortable to shoot.

For me, if not a bit tough to hide, I would carry my tweaked G29 all the time:)

Thanks, have a great new week!
Rick