AR's that hold their value? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR's that hold their value?

Just_plinking
02-29-2012, 20:16
Let me start this off by throwing out a disclaimer. I don't know anything about AR's and I dug around a little for the information I was looking for, but didn't find it. It's probably here somewhere, but I wasn't sure what terms to use in my search so anyway... here goes.

I've always wanted an ar, but never got around to buying one. Just couldn't justify spending the $'s on a toy that I wouldn't get around to using much. currently I'm convinced that I'd like to have one stashed in the closet just in case I don't have the option of acquiring one in the future (yeah I'm one of the jerks causing a run.. I admit it, that's not what this thread is about).

So to the point, I want to pick up an ar. I'd be using money from savings. The plan would be to leave it new in the box so that even though I took money from savings, if I wanted I could sell it and put the money back if I had to without loosing a lot. I want to keep it as cheap as possible, but also want a gun that's not junk.

I'm assuming buying a bottom of the barrel bushmaster or something wouldn't be a good choice.

So, in short, what brands and models would fit the bill, what should I stay away from. Or, am I poorly informed in gerneral, and thinking about this all wrong. As I said, i'm new to ar's and there's a lot of them out there so any input would be appreciated, thanks.

themighty9mm
02-29-2012, 20:21
So your buying it, so you can at a later time sell it for less? Ar's as a general rule dont go up much in value. Maybe post election depending on who it is. But if you dont find a buyer you will be stuck with it. In your case your going to want name recognition. Go with colt, pick any model

Murgatroy
02-29-2012, 20:25
For the masses there is only one AR that will hold it's value. It is not the best, it is far from the worst, but it is the only one with a name folks will recognize and you will be able to sell to anyone.

Colt.

You can probably make your money back off of nearly any name, but only in the gun circles. A Colt will sell to anyone that isn't a pinko commie liberal. And maybe even to some of them.

Just_plinking
02-29-2012, 20:31
So your buying it, so you can at a later time sell it for less? Ar's as a general rule dont go up much in value. Maybe post election depending on who it is. But if you dont find a buyer you will be stuck with it. In your case your going to want name recognition. Go with colt, pick any model

No I want one in general, and wouldn't PLAN on selling it, but if I can pick one that will be easier to sell w/o loosing much it's easier for me to justify. $1k is change for some people, but sadly i'm not currently one of those. Anyhow thanks for your advice.

jwhite75
02-29-2012, 20:32
^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Everybody knows Colt. Most uneducated think the AR and M-16 are proprietary Colt.

Thats why I bought mine. LOL

Just_plinking
02-29-2012, 20:34
For the masses there is only one AR that will hold it's value. It is not the best, it is far from the worst, but it is the only one with a name folks will recognize and you will be able to sell to anyone.

Colt.

You can probably make your money back off of nearly any name, but only in the gun circles. A Colt will sell to anyone that isn't a pinko commie liberal. And maybe even to some of them.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if that was the case or not, but it makes sense.

TxGun
02-29-2012, 20:35
Yep, there are a half dozen really top-tier ARs, but the one that everyone knows is, of course, Colt. Colt will likely hold it's value better than any other brand through sheer name recognition...a name that most people associate with quality.

G30Mike
02-29-2012, 20:49
I'd have to give the vote to Colt as well for the same reasons others have posted...Brand recognition.
You may spend a bit more for a high end rifle, but you wont lose as much as you would buying garbage. If you're taking the "just in case" thing seriously, my advice would be to get a Colt 6720 or 6920, a case of ammo, and sign up for a carbine course. A little training with your rifle will go a long way in a "just in case" scenario.

DieselNut
02-29-2012, 21:46
If you buy one to sale, buy one of the good brands and sell near election time.

Cole125
02-29-2012, 21:59
As a investment gun, as said Colt is the way to go. If your getting a gun you are planning on shooting and keeping, you can save yourself a lot of money by getting a stripped lower and a PSA rifle kit.

mixflip
02-29-2012, 22:08
Well said guys. Not the best, not the worst... but the most well known is Colt. That makes it valuable and easy to sell in it self.

My father in law bought a Colt SP1 slabside in 1975 for $275. I think it as gone up in value.

Patriot III
02-29-2012, 22:26
COLT is your best choice. If you have bought and sold guns in the past, you know that most sell for far less than what was originally paid. It appears that COLT holds the best percentage of value.

As an example I bought a tricked out Noveske (like new), with a retail value of $2800+, for $1600 and a basic like-new N4 Noveske for $850, which was about 65% of its original price. A COLT may lose money, but in my experience, it'll happen at a lesser pace.

RWBlue
02-29-2012, 22:28
Well said guys. Not the best, not the worst... but the most well known is Colt. That makes it valuable and easy to sell in it self.

My father in law bought a Colt SP1 slabside in 1975 for $275. I think it as gone up in value.

Things have changed since 1975. I don't anticipate an AR-15 to keep up with the cost of living increases.

Just think how much that gun would be worth if he had spend $200 more and registered it as a machine gun.:shocked:

But if I was buying something with the intention of reselling.....it would be a colt.

Jameson4all
02-29-2012, 22:45
Colt defense LE versions will hold their value really well. LMT is another good one, not sure how they hold up value wise tho.

WoodenPlank
02-29-2012, 22:53
As I recently said in another thread, the idea of buying a modern, mass-produced AR as an "investment" seems silly to me. If you want investment guns, start looking at pre-86 transferable MGs, or some of the rarer C&R firearms out there.

faawrenchbndr
02-29-2012, 23:03
DPMS seems to hold their value,.........

NOT

G30Mike
03-01-2012, 00:49
DPMS seems to hold their value,.........

NOT

I wasn't aware DPOS had any value in the first place. :D

Javelin
03-01-2012, 00:52
I agree with that the Colt LE versions will hold their value and might even appreciate over time so long as they don't crank them out again for civilian population. Time will tell I guess.

:wavey:

RatDrall
03-01-2012, 04:34
1. Don't buy a bottom of the barrel, corner cutter special

2. Don't overpay in the first place

Do those, especially number 2, and your AR should be worth what you paid for it, if you take care of it.

Just_plinking
03-01-2012, 05:36
1. Don't buy a bottom of the barrel, corner cutter special

2. Don't overpay in the first place

Do those, especially number 2, and your AR should be worth what you paid for it, if you take care of it.

When I made this thread, I knew colt was a big name in AR's, but didn't realize it was that much better known then the others. I honestly expected a short list of rifles that would be a good bet, colt being among them. From the responses it seems that the colt is the best bet.

If there was a short list of budget ar's what would be among them? Thanks

Just_plinking
03-01-2012, 06:11
As I recently said in another thread, the idea of buying a modern, mass-produced AR as an "investment" seems silly to me. If you want investment guns, start looking at pre-86 transferable MGs, or some of the rarer C&R firearms out there.

Again i'm not trying to approach this as an "investment", at least not in the normal sense of the word.

To be honest, and this view may not be popular but, if I wasn't worried about future availability or shtf scenarios I wouldn't spend my gun budget on an AR. Like it or not, I think 'black rifles' have an undeserved bad connotation associated with them, so when compared against other guns I'd like to buy the ar wouldn't be a priority.

It's really a shame too because image aside, I think they are one of the most versatile firearms around. If I could only have 1 gun, I would look seriously at the AR. They are good for home defense, hunting, range, and just about anything else, plus they are fun and easy to shoot. The problem for me is that I'd be more nervous about taking one around with me, or using it for hd then I would most other guns.

Because of this, it wouldn't really get used, hence the idea of just grabbing one and putting it up just in case. I've always thought about getting one, but always ended up saying to myself "i'll get one later", and if I keep doing that later might be never. Again, my train of thought might be ridiculous, but to each their own I guess, and I appreciate your reply. If I was in a different price range i'd definitely look into a pre-ban auto. I also love relics. It's so cool to look at old guns and think about what the world was like when they were made.

samuse
03-01-2012, 06:30
If you want to save money, then save your money.

If you think you might need an AR for SHTF, then it's not gonna do you any good to have it if you don't know what to do with it. If you're not trained and proficient with your equipment, your equipment is useless.

Cole125
03-01-2012, 08:55
It sounds like you don't really want a AR. If you like more traditional looking guns, look into a Ruger Mini 14 with a wood stock. Same firepower as a AR15, looks like a hunting rifle.

You also need to learn how to use and shoot whatever rifle you have. Don't expect a AR15 that you have never shot and has been sitting in your closet for 5 years to save you when SHTF.

Javelin
03-01-2012, 09:48
If there was a short list of budget ar's what would be among them? Thanks

That's just it. Colt is the budget gun. The price for a quality gun goes up from there.

Colt is just the basic GI gun. You want better you need to get ready to drop some coin. Pretty simple.

:wavey:

HexHead
03-01-2012, 10:10
If it doesnt have the Pony, it'a phony. Get the Colt.