Coyote practical to SHTF tactical... My Bushy is ready! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Coyote practical to SHTF tactical... My Bushy is ready!

vart
02-29-2012, 21:46
Bought my BushMaster V-Match Carbine off the shelf in 1999 and turned it into a coyote gun...

The day I bought it:

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy35/idowa/Guns/Picture631.jpg

Soon after as a Coyote killer:

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy35/idowa/Guns/Picture644.jpg

Finally, ten years later, I got sick of seeing it on the gun vault wall not being used and realizing that if SHTF it would be my primary weapon and it really wasn't well suited for it.

So, I installed the Midwest Industries rifle-length handguard, Mag-Pul stock, Vtac flashlight mount, MagLight LED light, Tapco snubby vertical grip, YHM rear sight, Midwest Industries front sight, YHM sling attachment, and Atac single-point sling...

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy35/idowa/Guns/100_0074.jpg

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy35/idowa/Guns/100_0075.jpg

WoodenPlank
02-29-2012, 23:51
Interesting combination of parts...

steve1911
03-01-2012, 00:33
Nice camo.

1911club#410

freedom790
03-01-2012, 00:45
I'm a fan of that camo! Nice job!

vart
03-01-2012, 01:03
Interesting combination of parts...

Everything was chosen for a reason... I wanted the longer handguard since I was planning on running iron sights and wanted the longer sight radius...

I also didn't want the extra weight and rough edges of a quad rail, and I wanted a true free float handguard. The Midwest Industries handguard was perfect.

I chose the Vtac light mount because it is light, gets good review, and I was able to position the light right where I wanted it.

The stubby vertical grip just feels perfect; not too long as to be an obstruction, and fat enough to give my hand a secure grip. Polymer means it is durable enough and light. The rifle weighs in with a loaded 30-rd P-Mag at 7.5 lbs.

I bought the rear YHM fold down sight from Bushmaster before I discovered Midway supply. I liked the sight so I ordered the corresponding front one from Midway.

They back ordered it to April so I bought the Midwest Industries dark earth version for a few bucks more.

I still need to camo both sights so they match.

My brother is a SWAT team member and extolled the virtues of the single point sling so I found one on Midway that was reasonable and got good reviews.

While it is very comfy and handy for walking around in a patrol capacity, it will not work for slinging across my back while riding my dirt bike through the woods.

I will have to find a good 2-point for that...

I may also have to upgrade the light, though at 104 lumens and 3 AAA battery operation, slim design, and machined aluminum construction, it seems to fit the bill very well...

I am going out Sunday to shoot the rifle and sight in the iron sights and the red dot... I will probably find something else to tweak on it...

faawrenchbndr
03-01-2012, 01:26
Nice build,......well thought out.

Minnow
03-01-2012, 01:49
Any plans for a flash suppressor? Looks good so far, but I would probably ditch the single point for a VCAS or similar. I've found that two points are more practical for everyday use. I'm not sure how reliable that maglight is, but I know Surefire has a proven track record as a weapon light.

vart
03-01-2012, 11:00
Any plans for a flash suppressor? Looks good so far, but I would probably ditch the single point for a VCAS or similar. I've found that two points are more practical for everyday use. I'm not sure how reliable that maglight is, but I know Surefire has a proven track record as a weapon light.

You just pointed out the two areas I was concerned about... Yeah, the single-point works great in law-enforcement applications, but for a rifle that will be more often than not slung across my back, a 2 point is a better choice...

And the light is a bit of a gamble; maybe it's the old school in me that remembers when the D-cell Maglight was the best you could get in a flashlight.

Using their latest LED model was something of a old fart protest...

Flash suppressor? Not sure if I would have any practical applications for it...

Deployment Solu
03-01-2012, 11:06
Nice Job!!

Jack Black
03-01-2012, 11:41
As far as slings go, I really think the best solution is to get a 2 point sling and something like a 2 to 1 triglide. Personally, I recently bought a VCAS and triglide and I'm very happy with both products.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/2-to-1-point-triglide-threads-into-your-sling-and-makes-it-convertible/

DaleGribble
03-01-2012, 12:09
My brother is a SWAT team member and extolled the virtues of the single point sling so I found one on Midway that was reasonable and got good reviews.

While it is very comfy and handy for walking around in a patrol capacity, it will not work for slinging across my back while riding my dirt bike through the woods.

I will have to find a good 2-point

I told you that in the sling thread.

freedom790
03-01-2012, 12:21
The magpul MS3, RSA, and ASAP are costly, but give you the best of both worlds. I like mine quite a bit. Buy once, cry once.

WoodenPlank
03-01-2012, 14:57
You just pointed out the two areas I was concerned about... Yeah, the single-point works great in law-enforcement applications, but for a rifle that will be more often than not slung across my back, a 2 point is a better choice...

And the light is a bit of a gamble; maybe it's the old school in me that remembers when the D-cell Maglight was the best you could get in a flashlight.

Using their latest LED model was something of a old fart protest...

Flash suppressor? Not sure if I would have any practical applications for it...

The sling and light were my two biggest "Uhhh..." points, followed by the YHM rear (bad personal experience with them) and the Tapco grip.

Definitely look at the VCAS or Viking Tactics slings, and ****can the single point. It might work for a SWAT member that rarely has to actually sling his weapon, but it sucks when you need a real sling.

As for the flash hider, it not only cuts down on muzzle flash, but it protects the crown on your muzzle. With a bare muzzle, one solid, muzzle-down drop on a hard surface, and you'll be hard pressed to hit much of anything. Getting it threaded by a reputable shop and a flash hider installed eliminates that concern.

WoodenPlank
03-01-2012, 14:58
The magpul MS3, RSA, and ASAP are costly, but give you the best of both worlds. I like mine quite a bit. Buy once, cry once.

The ASAP is also noisy as crap, and there's very little need for a single point, honestly.

vart
03-01-2012, 19:45
I told you that in the sling thread.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't paying attention...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_latmpnmeg11qzdypz.png

msoprano
03-01-2012, 20:08
cool. but, what are you shooting the coyotes with now?

mvician
03-01-2012, 21:18
The ASAP is also noisy as crap, and there's very little need for a single point, honestly.

ya......you never know when that cardboard/paper/steel/whatever target/zombie will hear you trying to sneak up on it. :supergrin:

WoodenPlank
03-01-2012, 21:22
ya......you never know when that cardboard/paper/steel/whatever target/zombie will hear you trying to sneak up on it. :supergrin:

:rofl:

Or just annoy the piss out of the guy holding the rifle, as has been my case. It's finally coming off tomorrow, thankfully.