Article: "Illegal Gun Sales Run Rampant On Internet" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Article: "Illegal Gun Sales Run Rampant On Internet"

TactiCool
02-29-2012, 23:58
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/14/illegal-internet-gun-sales_n_1148497.html

Yes, this article is a little old, but I thought other GT'ers who may not have seen it might be interested, and if it's a re-post, then my bad.

Jerry
03-01-2012, 09:21
Old news. But! LiesÖ tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies. It is not illegal to sell to someone that canít buy through an FFL. It isnít even illegal to sell to a felon. Itís illegal for the felon to possess but not to sell to them. Wrong as someone might thick that to be it is the truth and to promote it to be otherwise is a lie. Itís not an illegal sale itís an illegal purchase. Lying Liberals! Again!

And again if they actually did make any ďillegalĒ purchases they should be investigated and prosecuted. Hey you ATF&E guys need to stop selling guns to criminals, harassing honorable citizens and dealers and do your job by going after those that break the law and boast about it in the media. Like the Mayor of NYC and his ilk.

samurairabbi
03-01-2012, 09:45
Standard-issue obfuscation to help a political cause.

An INTER-state internet gun sale must be done by the FFL route. The buyer must do the 4473/NICS shtick to gain possession of the gun. This is true for ANY interstate internet-based sale.

In many states, an INTRA-state transfer can be done privately, whether in person or internet.

A person stating he is UNSURE whether he can pass a check gets many people bent out of shape, but that statement carries little weight. In some states, a private INTRA-state transfer must go through an FFL. In other states, it doesn't. In Indiana, I can sell a gun privately to ANY provable Indiana resident of sufficient age. If it later turns out HE possesses the gun illegally, my selling it to him is "probably" not legally actionable; the authorities would have a heavy burden of proof that I had enough cause to reject the sale. If I were to refuse to sell to him simply because I am concerned because he is a member of a legally "protected" group, I could be prosecuted for THAT action.

Jameson4all
03-01-2012, 14:24
Shipping a firearm to another state needs to be done through an FFL. Otherwise you could buy a gun online from an FFL and have it sent to your house.

WmHBonney
03-09-2012, 04:43
Shipping a firearm to another state needs to be done through an FFL. Otherwise you could buy a gun online from an FFL and have it sent to your house.

And that would be sweet!

Bren
03-09-2012, 04:50
Old news. But! Lies… tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies. It is not illegal to sell to someone that can’t buy through an FFL. It isn’t even illegal to sell to a felon. It’s illegal for the felon to possess but not to sell to them. Wrong as someone might thick that to be it is the truth and to promote it to be otherwise is a lie. It’s not an illegal sale it’s an illegal purchase. Lying Liberals! Again!

That is incorrect. It is just as illegal to knowingly sell to a prohibited person as it is for them to buy/possess a gun:

d) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person -
(1) is under indictment for, or has been convicted in any court
of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one
year;
(2) is a fugitive from justice;
(3) is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances
Act (21 U.S.C. 802));
(4) has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been
committed to any mental institution;
(5) who, being an alien -
(A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or
(B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been
admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as
that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration
and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26)));
(6) who (!2) has been discharged from the Armed Forces under
dishonorable conditions;
(7) who, having been a citizen of the United States, has
renounced his citizenship;
(8) is subject to a court order that restrains such person from
harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such
person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging
in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in
reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child, except
that this paragraph shall only apply to a court order that -
(A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received
actual notice, and at which such person had the opportunity to
participate; and
(B)(i) includes a finding that such person represents a
credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner
or child; or
(ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted
use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate
partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause
bodily injury; or
(9) has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

18 USC ß 922(d)

Heck it's a federal felony under that section for you to sell a gun to your friend that you know smokes marijuana.

Bren
03-09-2012, 04:52
And that would be sweet!

When I was born, you could order guns from the Sears catalog and have them shipped to your house. That changed in 1968.

Jerry
03-09-2012, 10:31
That is incorrect. It is just as illegal to knowingly sell to a prohibited person as it is for them to buy/possess a gun:

Heck it's a federal felony under that section for you to sell a gun to your friend that you know smokes marijuana.

I didn’t say “knowingly”. However after rereading it does look like I was inferring that. Thanks for the information.

Funny how one may “legally” sell an automobile to a connived drunk driver or even someone that committed vehicular homicide. A convicted arsonist can walk into any gas station and purchase gasoline and the proprietor is perfectly legal in selling it to him even if he knows the guy is a convicted arsonist. However if one knows that the government has branded someone unfit to purchase a firearm “THEY’RE” branded a criminal for sell them one. “Shall not be infringed” means nothing but other deadly things that ARE NOT PROTECTED in the constitution are just fine for ANYONE to purchase. IDIOCY! :upeyes:

Jerry
03-09-2012, 10:40
When I was born, you could order guns from the Sears catalog and have them shipped to your house. That changed in 1968.

Somewhere between 1958 and 1961 my brother bought a Springfield 30/06 for $18.00 through the NRA and it was delivered to our door. My God what have we let become of or freedom? :frown:

TexasFats
03-09-2012, 16:10
Never, never, never, never, never, ever expect facts or fair play from the gun control crowd. Not now. Not in the future. Their goal is a totally disarmed society, and if you believe that it has anything to do with reducing crime, then you need to avoid people who want to sell you a bridge in Brooklyn. Gun control is about disarming peasants so that the would-be tyrants who sneak among us can have an easier, safer time when they come to force their notion of Utopia on us poor, benighted peasants.