OWB Holsters? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OWB Holsters?

JGulley317
03-01-2012, 01:33
So after deciding on the IWB holster I want. I need to find a OWB holster. I don't know how much I will carry OWB and/or OC. I plan to CC most of the time, personal choice. Though I'd like to OC from time to time. Preferably when I know I won't be in public. For ex. to a friend's house. I also hope to OC with others at a OC meet. I also might carry OWB in the winter when I have a coat or jacket on.

I was looking for recommendations on OWB holsters?

For those who mostly CC. Do you CC at the range, since you'd have to draw from that position in a SD situation or do you OC? CCer's only please...

Thanks as always, Gulley

Schaffer
03-01-2012, 02:44
So after deciding on the IWB holster I want. I need to find a OWB holster. I don't know how much I will carry OWB and/or OC. I plan to CC most of the time, personal choice. Though I'd like to OC from time to time. Preferably when I know I won't be in public. For ex. to a friend's house. I also hope to OC with others at a OC meet. I also might carry OWB in the winter when I have a coat or jacket on.

For those who mostly CC. Do you CC at the range, since you'd have to draw from that position in a SD situation or do you OC? CCer's only please...

Thanks as always, Gulley

At the range I usually have my duty belt on.although drawing from concealed carry is a good idea. In a high stress situation you revert to your training.

Draw ,dry fires and mag changes can be practiced at home for greater practice. Practice the way you'll be comfortable
Carrying.

Stevenson
03-01-2012, 05:50
I always carry OWB. I just ordered 2 from here:

http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/

Mine should be here in a week!

fireGLOCKfighter
03-01-2012, 08:04
I carry a Safari Land ALS Concealment Holster. I love it!

TX expat
03-01-2012, 08:34
Personally I never OC but I still carry OWB whenever the weather allows me to wear even a light cover garment, so I think a good OWB holster is a great piece of gear to have regardless.

I just received my X-Concealment Generation 2 "C" series and so far I'm very impressed with it. Very good retention and holds close to the body; should have no issues concealing with a light jacket or other outer garment.

*** to answer your question, I practice drawing and firing with both my IWB and my OWB holsters, and I always practice drawing them from a concealed starting point. If you are even in a position where your life is in danger, that isn't the time to have to wonder how you are going to get your shirt out of the way and get to your pistol. I would recommend that you always do a lot of practice with your firearm in the normal condition it will be in on a daily basis.

DRJ1911
03-01-2012, 13:21
I always carry OWB. I just ordered 2 from here:

http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/

Mine should be here in a week!

I also have 2 on order for my g30. Should have mine in next week. Eric is great to deal with.

Doyle

ken grant
03-01-2012, 14:31
With drawers full of holsters, both cheap and not so cheap I find myself using the GlocK Sport/Combat more than any of them when I carry OWB.

xmanhockey7
03-01-2012, 14:49
I like the Safariland 6377 for OC. I don't think it works well for CC but it has great retention.

tuica
03-01-2012, 17:05
Don't overlook the Glock Sport/Combat Holster. For $15, it can't be beaten. I often prefer it over much more expensive holsters. Good Luck.

Warp
03-01-2012, 18:06

For what pistol(s)?

The Galco COP 3 slot is pretty good and pretty popular. The fitment seems to be hit or miss, though. The one for my G19 fits perfectly. The one for my G21SF is way too tight and breaking it in hasn't fixed the problem. Tight as in 'I can barely draw it and sometimes it takes multiple attempts' tight.

I have and have used a Blackhawk Serpa but it rides pretty farther from the body and I've read too much about possible latch mechanism hangups.

I have a Simply Rugged Tribute for my GP100. It fits perfectly. Very nicely made.

I would seriously look into Safariland. Their linup can be confusing to understand but they make excellent holsters. I plant to upgrade my OWB Glock holster(s) to them sometime. I want the level II retention, which is hard to find in holsters NOT made for LEOs to wear on duty.

The Habit
03-01-2012, 18:32
As previously mentioned, if carrying a Glock, the Glock sport/combat holster is pretty awesome. I carry OWB exclusively and have some pretty expensive holsters sitting in my drawer. I wear the sport/combat every day. It rides high and tight.

DannyII
03-01-2012, 18:35
+1 on the Glock s/c holster for me!

JGulley317
03-01-2012, 21:56
For what pistol(s)?

The Galco COP 3 slot is pretty good and pretty popular. The fitment seems to be hit or miss, though. The one for my G19 fits perfectly. The one for my G21SF is way too tight and breaking it in hasn't fixed the problem. Tight as in 'I can barely draw it and sometimes it takes multiple attempts' tight.

I have and have used a Blackhawk Serpa but it rides pretty farther from the body and I've read too much about possible latch mechanism hangups.

I have a Simply Rugged Tribute for my GP100. It fits perfectly. Very nicely made.

I would seriously look into Safariland. Their linup can be confusing to understand but they make excellent holsters. I plant to upgrade my OWB Glock holster(s) to them sometime. I want the level II retention, which is hard to find in holsters NOT made for LEOs to wear on duty.

Glock 26

HarleyGuy
03-02-2012, 00:11
I never open carry but for an OWB for concealed carry I have a Galco holster with belt slots and a thumb snap strap.
This holster provides good retention and conceals fairly easily with a cover garment.
I would not recomend this holster for a firearms class or any type of competetion shooting especially where one handed re-holstering is required.

For a firearms class, where the gun has to be re-holstered with only one had, I use the Fobus, Blade Tech, or Glock plastic style holsters.

Patchman
03-02-2012, 07:51
As previously said, the Glock Sports holster is a great holster to have around. Especially true if it's your first OWB holster. Gives you a chance to search the internet, learn about different holsters and figure out what you "really" want.

All the ranges where I'm at will not let you draw a gun from concealment and shoot. I would also recommend taking a (1 or 2 days) class focused on concealed carrying.

Bill Lumberg
03-02-2012, 10:50
A glock sport holster on a proper gunbelt is your first stop. I generally find OWB to be more comfortable and just as concealable as IWB. Galco's fletch, Tucker's HF1, and the Bianchi carrylok all work preetty well. None conceal any better than the glock sport holster.

Warp
03-02-2012, 14:27
Glock 26

Galco COP 3 slot.

Something Safariland if you are willing to spend a little more and/or want more than one level of active retention

JGulley317
03-05-2012, 00:13
Thanks for everyone's help! I decided to go with a Glock Sport/Combat holster. I hear good things about it and for $15 you can't go wrong. This will give me a idea of what I'll look for when it comes to an OWB holster or I might just love it and not look at all. But I was recommended some good leather holsters so I might have to try those out (I love leather). But just like anything, it's all trail and error. I'm sure I'll have a bag full of holsters just to know what I like.

Thanks again for the help and recommendations, Gulley

ca survivor
03-05-2012, 18:03
I made a habit of when I get home and going to put wallet keys etc. away I draw the gun like if I had to, is a little practice every day, lots of holster wear though.

rohanreginald
03-05-2012, 18:39
I carry my G26 in this.
http://shop.ihlusa.com/product.sc?productId=101&categoryId=2

armedcitizen
03-05-2012, 20:52
Kramer belt scabbard. Not cheap but they're made to your gun and you'll die of old age before you need to replace it.

dooga
03-05-2012, 21:17
Kramer belt scabbardThat is a perfect thing, that holster. Horsehide in black. Looks worth it to me.

RedHaze
03-05-2012, 21:57
For open carry I use an Alessi CQC snap.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/forester1/Glock/DSC_0029.jpg

And a quote from another member in some other thread about the Alessi with a few more pictures.

I am very picky when it comes to OWB as far as I am anal about printing. I have gone thru many holster trying to find one that puts me at ease. The Alessi CQC/S works great!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff263/pens-66/b0d12f54.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff263/pens-66/73fe6978.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff263/pens-66/da63815c.jpg

danielspdx
03-05-2012, 22:31
I carry a Safari Land ALS Concealment Holster. I love it!

Same here.

pspez
03-10-2012, 07:09
I love the way the Glock Sport holster fits to by body but have a hard time drawing the gun from the holster. Anybody have the same issue and if so, what did you do to correct it?

MoneyMaker
03-10-2012, 07:15
For open carry I use an Alessi CQC snap.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/forester1/Glock/DSC_0029.jpg

And a quote from another member in some other thread about the Alessi with a few more pictures.
+1 or buy a Ritchie gun leather CQQR as its the same holster by a maker who made them at Alessi without the wait.

Ryobi
03-11-2012, 06:12
I don't look for attention, or at least I like to be able to choose when I want to show out. So I carry concealed when I'm off. OWB has nothing to do with OC. OWB is generally more comfortable, and often as concealable, as IWB. Many civilian ranges won't allow firing from concealment. But getting training and practice from the holster and style you carry in is important. So after deciding on the IWB holster I want. I need to find a OWB holster. I don't know how much I will carry OWB and/or OC. I plan to CC most of the time, personal choice. Though I'd like to OC from time to time. Preferably when I know I won't be in public. For ex. to a friend's house. I also hope to OC with others at a OC meet. I also might carry OWB in the winter when I have a coat or jacket on.

Thanks as always, Gulley

JLaw516
03-11-2012, 14:55
For OWB CC I really like the DeSantis mini slide. Easy to conceal my 26 with a loose T-shirt.

SevenSixtyTwo
03-11-2012, 15:11
That's a nice looking holster RedHaze. I like my Galco concealable belt holster for my G26. Very comfortable and hold the gun close for easy concealment under a cover shirt. It would be my choice for OC as well.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=243&GunID=50