Hung Out to Dry by Del-ton [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hung Out to Dry by Del-ton

MrM4
03-01-2012, 07:37
I own a small shop that custom builds ARs and Uppers for people as well as NFA items. I placed a $1650.00 parts order on 2/23 with Del-Ton, I called to check and make sure each item was in stock. Once I had confirmed each item was in stock I hit the submit button on my internet order. The morning of 2/28 morning I get the following email for Del-ton:

Hi,
We are sorry, but at this time rifle parts are back ordered indefinitely. We can keep your order on back order if you wish, however we cannot give any time frame on when it may be shipped. We are sorry for any inconvenience. The items that are available for shipment on this order include the lower receivers, sling swivel and rivet. Please let me know if you would like for me to send available items.

Thanks,
Del-Ton Inc.

I called Del-ton (2/28) to see what had caused the back ordered. I was told that that on 2/27 Del-tons Higher ups had held a sales meeting and decided to halt shipment of parts orders that had been placed but not processed so that Distributor demand for complete rifles could be met. After a long conversation with a very nice woman who answers the phones I was told that out of my $1650 order they could send the $0.20 front swivel rivet and nothing else, not even the lowers. I had already ordered another $600 worth of parts that Del-ton does not carry form a different seller to complete the uppers I needed to build for our customers.

I decided to cancel the order rather than sit on a permit back order list for the parts that I needed this week. The same parts I was told " Yes everything on your list is in stock, the parts will ship out soon, they just need to process the order which takes at least a few days".

During my phone call on 2/28 I was told the Distributors have priority, which I can understand, to a certain extent. What I cannot understand or believe is that Del-ton would do this to their other customers who already have standing orders and a history of buying from them in the past.

I own a small shop that does custom builds, that order was for parts that were going to some of my companies' customers who were expecting a finished product by a certain date. A date that was given to our customers after I talked with Del-ton and after I was told that we would have the parts in our shop shortly thereafter. I spent yesterday on the phone with many distributors trying to get the parts in time for us meet the dead line with our customers.

I cannot even begin to tell you how disappoint and annoyed we are with Del-ton pulling the rug out from under us after taking our order for parts that were in stock ready to ship. I could understand taking back orders from the day of the sales meeting forward on new orders. But to put existing orders on indefinite back order after telling us these item were in stock ready to ship is not acceptable. Our business was counting on their word that the parts would be here.

We choose to cancel the order. I asked the very nice lady who answered the phone call to share our extremely disappointed feelings with the higher ups at Del-ton. Clearly the decision was not her fault and she was very professional and nice to talk with which I want to point out to her credit. I also explained that we would not be purchasing anything from them again.

I just wanted to share how little Del-ton seems to care about their repeat customers. We have had good dealings in the past with Del-Ton, but we are dissapointed in them now.

K. Foster
03-01-2012, 08:12
My sympathies. Have you done much business with them in the past? Iíve read other posts where they have placed people on indefinite back order status for whatever reason.
Based on examples that I have seen, I donít have a high opinion of their quality, although they may be a good value for some. Possibly now you can move on and find a better product for your customers.

DieselNut
03-01-2012, 08:20
Next time, I'd order from someone like J&T distributing instead.

MrMurphy
03-01-2012, 14:06
Not surprised.

Javelin
03-01-2012, 14:38
It's not like Del-Ton has a really good reputation to uphold or anything.

:rofl:

tim12232
03-01-2012, 16:10
It's not like Del-Ton has a really good reputation to uphold or anything.

:rofl:

my Del-Ton has been flawless!

jrs93accord
03-01-2012, 17:01
I can understand your frustration, but Del-Ton is doing what many companies do when they get more business than they anticipated. They are concentrating on satisfying the distributors, which are their big money customers, and trying to juggle their retail orders without losing too many orders due to the backlogs of orders for the distributors. I would probably do the same thing if I was forced into that situation. The people at Del-Ton are good people. I have dealt with them for several years. They have been extremely good to me and at meeting my needs.

Minnow
03-01-2012, 17:23
Economically speaking, I'm sure their decision makes sense. Ethically speaking, they are using deceptive business tactics. I wouldn't buy from them again either if I was the OP. It doesn't matter if they had good intentions on one day and decided to on the next day to do what they did, it's still not a good business practice long term. Apparently according to other posters, they have done this before so this isn't new.

MrM4
03-02-2012, 07:28
They filled a need for "cheaper" products for the guys who can not afford or do not want to spend the money on the high quality and priced stuff from places like Noveske, RRA, Jp, Larue. Ive found that we needed a "cheaper" option for those customer.

m2hmghb
03-02-2012, 08:24
They filled a need for "cheaper" products for the guys who can not afford or do not want to spend the money on the high quality and priced stuff from places like Noveske, RRA, Jp, Larue. Ive found that we needed a "cheaper" option for those customer.

You forgot the ones who cannot buy a colt AR as well.

Whiskey Six
03-02-2012, 09:05
Del Ton has done this before. Their orders go way up and they need all the parts for builds. Sucks that they confirmed your order then backed out though.

I like black
03-02-2012, 09:33
Economically speaking, I'm sure their decision makes sense. Ethically speaking, they are using deceptive business tactics. I wouldn't buy from them again either if I was the OP. It doesn't matter if they had good intentions on one day and decided to on the next day to do what they did, it's still not a good business practice long term. Apparently according to other posters, they have done this before so this isn't new.

Yes exactly !

To the OP thanks for the info, I probably would not have bought their products anyway but I will pass on the info.

You should send them a link to this thread and link it to their facebook page if they have one or something along that line.

Unethical to say the least.

ILB

smitty704
03-02-2012, 23:54
Try PSA next time.

TangoFoxtrot
03-03-2012, 07:27
MrM4, Sounds like they down understand (or care about) the concept of supply and demand. Their running their buisness like Mom & Pops machine shop.

MrM4
03-03-2012, 07:54
We do deal with PSA, they have been ok to deal with. Ok prices and the products seem like they are of acceptable quality.

Silver_Bullet_00
03-03-2012, 08:12
I just wanted to share how little Del-ton seems to care about their repeat customers. We have had good dealings in the past with Del-Ton, but we are dissapointed in them now.

Try Palmetto State Armory. PSA is definitely the better value now, Delton even charges extra for chrome lining, PSA is close to mil-spec. PSA usually has the kits to your door within 7 days. Delton is local for me, and I would like to support a local business, but the quality of PSA seems better, and the customer service is excellent from my experience and other friends experience.

HAIL CAESAR
03-03-2012, 12:10
They are trying to grow. The best way to grow is to get your name out to distributors and gun shops.

It does stink that they did the way they did. But I do understand their decision.

Heck, Noveske once told me they would have something shipped in 3 to 4 weeks.......4 months later I got it.

shadow65
03-03-2012, 16:05
That's too bad.
I've worked with a few smaller manufacturers over the years testing gear for them. Seems once they reach a point of perceived success, the average customer is left out in the cold. The big distributors are taken care of first and foremost.
Unfortunately, they forget who made them rich.
I'm experiencing a bit of that right now with a company I've worked with for the past couple years.
Business has increased 5 fold. New managers have been hired. When I call now, I feel like just another number. I can imagine what the average customer must feel like.
Dave N

MrM4
03-03-2012, 19:27
I dont mind them meeting a demand with the distributors. Business is about making money but it pisses me off that they took our order while telling me "yes we have that Instock and will ship it out to you" only to come back a basically say "we have the stuff you order and that we promised you but we are giving it to someone more important".

I have made a point to cross post this on many forum sites and to date the threads have over been veiw about 4500 times.