LE marked Colts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LE marked Colts

ArmoryDoc
03-01-2012, 13:25
There are a few still out there but they are going fast and getting expensive. I just found a LE6720 for $1116.89 shipped and dropped some scratch. I can't believe some of the prices on LE6920's and the entire LE marked lineup. Better get 'em while ya can before they get crazy.

Javelin
03-01-2012, 13:28
Though I doubt there is much difference (if any) between the Colt Sporter and the Cold Law Enforcement rifles other than they are made in 2 different factories located next to one another ... so I am told.

The LE version will probably be worth the coin for purely aesthetic & investment purchase. That is unless Colt decides to drop the Sporter line and go back to issuing LE models to civilians. Only time will tell.

:supergrin:

ArmoryDoc
03-01-2012, 13:42
The LE version will probably be worth the coin for purely aesthetic & investment purchase. That is unless Colt decides to drop the Sporter line and go back to issuing LE models to civilians. Only time will tell.

:supergrin:

I have to agree, at least in the shorter run they should be. It's a good time to get one I think, with the threat of O'bammy doing a second stint AND the discontinuation of the LE marked gun. That'll give me two Colts for the ride. this year should be interesting in the gun world. :)

Javelin
03-01-2012, 14:00
I have to agree, at least in the shorter run they should be. It's a good time to get one I think, with the threat of O'bammy doing a second stint AND the discontinuation of the LE marked gun. That'll give me two Colts for the ride. this year should be interesting in the gun world. :)

Very interesting for sure!

WoodenPlank
03-01-2012, 14:39
The LE marked guns haven't been discontinued. They've started showing up at Wal-Mart, too.

Javelin
03-01-2012, 15:16
The LE marked guns haven't been discontinued. They've started showing up at Wal-Mart, too.

Yeah I was reading those posts. I am very interested why Grant & G&R Tactical can't get them but Walmart can?

:rofl:

WoodenPlank
03-01-2012, 15:25
Yeah I was reading those posts. I am very interested why Grant & G&R Tactical can't get them but Walmart can?

:rofl:

They probably can't get them because Wal-Mart bought a metric buttload of them and wiped out Colt's stock.

Javelin
03-01-2012, 15:29
They probably can't get them because Wal-Mart bought a metric buttload of them and wiped out Colt's stock.

Grant @ G&R Tactical is sure pushing hard that the Sporter line is the exact same.... and that it replaced the LE version. Now we see a big box retailer with them all over the shelves.

Interesting.....

WoodenPlank
03-01-2012, 15:31
Grant @ G&R Tactical is sure pushing hard that the Sporter line is the exact same.... and that it replaced the LE version. Now we see a big box retailer with them all over the shelves.

Interesting.....

Other than the roll mark, I'm sure it IS the same rifle. It's also possible that the Wal-Mart guns were leftover LE marked ones that Colt cleared out just to make room.

As I pointed out in another thread, though, rumor has been that Colt almost immediately resurrected the LE line due to the wording of some LE rifle contracts that precluded the purchase of the Sporter models. I'd expect to see both models in the wild from now on, but the Sporter will probably become more common in the civilian market.

Javelin
03-01-2012, 15:33
Other than the roll mark, I'm sure it IS the same rifle. It's also possible that the Wal-Mart guns were leftover LE marked ones that Colt cleared out just to make room.

As I pointed out in another thread, though, rumor has been that Colt almost immediately resurrected the LE line due to the wording of some LE rifle contracts that precluded the purchase of the Sporter models. I'd expect to see both models in the wild from now on, but the Sporter will probably become more common in the civilian market.

Yeah I read that too. In fact I have read (& heard) so many damn stories about Colt it is hard to determine fact from fiction anymore.

WoodenPlank
03-01-2012, 15:38
Yeah I read that too. In fact I have read (& heard) so many damn stories about Colt it is hard to determine fact from fiction anymore.

Either way, I'm not sweating it. If people are worried about AR prices going up if Obama gets re-elected (I'm sure they will if he does, justified or no) then EVERYTHING is going to go up - not just Colt. People buying up Colt LE marked guns as some kind of "investment" just seems ridiculous to me.

Javelin
03-01-2012, 15:39
Either way, I'm not sweating it. If people are worried about AR prices going up if Obama gets re-elected (I'm sure they will if he does, justified or no) then EVERYTHING is going to go up - not just Colt. People buying up Colt LE marked guns as some kind of "investment" just seems ridiculous to me.

Well it sure beats all the time & investment I have put into my old & rare pizza box collection.

:whistling:

CAcop
03-01-2012, 15:43
Colt from what a two armorer instructors have told me independently will tend to grab whatever leftover stock they have and slap a rifle or pistol together so that there are a some outliers in their production.

I also did read somehwere on the net that a LEA wanted their rifles marked LE Only with the LE prefix. I suspect so that somehow if they ended up in the wrong hands they could say to the person holding it, "Gotcha." Or more likely f one of ther rifles got lost or stolen their people could figure out at a glance they should run the serial number and then if it came back stolen to their agency it could be returned. Ultimately who knows because it was a decision likely made by a manager who may or may not be thinking clearly. Either way there may have been say 3000 LE marked lowers made but only 1000 shipped to the LEA so Colt isn't just going to let them sit in a warehouse until they get another order like that. It's like the .38 586 I saw in a gunstore a decade ago. It had some South American country's seal on it. Definately not standard production.

Personally I wouldn't loose any sleep over a serial number marked SP vs. LE especilly since my department just picked up some marked Sporter direct from an LE distributor.

Javelin
03-01-2012, 21:36
UPDATE: This is from Grant @ G&R Tactical:

Grant

The sporter line is basically done so everyone should have the LE marked one again.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100460

So I guess that is it. Sporter line is no more. SP6920s might be worth money down the road... who knows. I'm not going to spend my $ on an SP if it makes any difference.

Jameson4all
03-01-2012, 22:46
Every single part on a Colt LE or Military rifle is made to an exact tolerance. Thats why the parts kits were in the area of 300 dollars last time I checked. If I remember correct the gentlemen told me the uppers and lowers go through something like a 300 point inspection or something like that, and if it doesn't pass its put aside and they are sold to other companies who want 'milspec' receivers, parts etc. So the LE/Military Colt rifles are not the same as your run of the mill 'milspec'.

WoodenPlank
03-01-2012, 22:47
Every single part on a Colt LE or Military rifle is made to an exact tolerance. Thats why the parts kits were in the area of 300 dollars last time I checked. If I remember correct the gentlemen told me the uppers and lowers go through something like a 300 point inspection or something like that, and if it doesn't pass its put aside and they are sold to other companies who want 'milspec' receivers, parts etc. So the LE/Military Colt rifles are not the same as your run of the mill 'milspec'.

Colt isn't the only reputable AR company that goes over their guns with a fine-toothed comb before they ship out.

Patriot III
03-02-2012, 06:57
UPDATE: This is from Grant @ G&R Tactical:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100460

So I guess that is it. Sporter line is no more. SP6920s might be worth money down the road... who knows. I'm not going to spend my $ on an SP if it makes any difference.

I, for one, am glad my M4 is marked "SPORTER". It allows me to wear a ball cap backwards and call guys "dudes". It also indicates that I workout and follow all the nationally televised games.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/IMG_5430copy.jpg

ArmoryDoc
03-02-2012, 07:07
Yes Patriot III, that does set some of us apart. LOL !

Well, Colt rumors or not, I've wanted the 6720 pencil-barrel model anyway so for a good price, it's on the way. Don't know what I'm gonna do with three AR's but I'll figure it out.

You guys can have your Sporters. Mine say Colt Defense on 'em so that puts me in the high-speed, low-drag group of tac-ops guys. :)

M&P15T
03-02-2012, 08:14
Testing 123

Javelin
03-02-2012, 12:11
I, for one, am glad my M4 is marked "SPORTER". It allows me to wear a ball cap backwards and call guys "dudes". It also indicates that I workout and follow all the nationally televised games.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/IMG_5430copy.jpg

Excellent Patriot!

:wavey:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: