Holster T Shirt Carry? 5-11 Others? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Holster T Shirt Carry? 5-11 Others?

sourdough44
03-01-2012, 14:30
I've been looking over reviews on holstered shirts, mostly T shirts, & am considering. I wanted something that was easy to deal with in and out of vehicles, & while seated. I also wanted it on my person, not in a fanny pack or safepacker. I can accept a little more time to get to it, secure, deep carry is more important. I don't want to have to always plan for the loose shirt over the holster, or some of the IWB options.

My plan was for a lighter gun, Ruger LCP, S&W Scandium J frame, up to maybe a 20oz Glock 26 or H&K p2000sk.

The 5-11 'holster T Shirt' is about the most common & gets pretty good reviews. Any users out there & how do you like it? Does one have to go larger on the size? Maybe I'm missing some, other options? I do have & like the 'belly band' & pocket holster options, just branching out. Thanks

Ryan-17
03-01-2012, 19:53
I would like to know as well, those 5.11 ones look like they would work well under a button up shirt.

CookeMonster
03-02-2012, 02:24
Good "deep cover" option. VERY slow draw if you need it. I have one, and now that I'm done with motorcycles it just hangs in the closet and I go IWB all day, every day. Even on the bike, I usually chose a shoulder rig instead. If you're looking at a LCP/Kel Tec/Kahr .380, I'd probably just pocket carry. G26 or other sub-compact, I'd IWB.

For the "Free Belly Band" option, it may be worth while. I still use the belly band on occasion.

sourdough44
03-02-2012, 04:47
Thanks, Yes I was thinking IWB with my Glock 26. I've just never tried that for any extended length of time, & I thought driving it may be an issue. Right now the easiest in my LCP in the pocket,holstered of course.

Glock Gator
03-02-2012, 11:25
When I have to deep carry, this is what I use. http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_Holsters.htm the shirt is like an Under Armour, very comfortable, the shirt spreads the weight of the gun
I have used this, http://www.activeprogear.com/234.html and it works OK, but it is a little too tight and my wife asked that I stop because she thinks it looks like a bra

sourdough44
03-02-2012, 11:47
Thanks, Gator, those 2 links are great.

CookeMonster
03-02-2012, 15:21
Thanks, Yes I was thinking IWB with my Glock 26. I've just never tried that for any extended length of time, & I thought driving it may be an issue. Right now the easiest in my LCP in the pocket,holstered of course.
If you want your gun quickly while driving, a shoulder rig may be your best option. The shirt in Glock Gator's post looks better than the one I got with the free Belly Band. It looks like it holds the gun lower down the rib cage and not up under the armpit where mine did which would make access much easier. While driving, a strong side IWB will be somewhat covered by the seatbelt and seat back, making a draw very mistake prone and possibly very slow. In my car for anything further than 20 minutes through town, I just stow it between the seat and center console where it's mostly hidden and very accessible. I will reholster IWB before getting out at rest stops or destinations.

2740dmx
03-03-2012, 08:07
I got the compression tee holster shirt and a "free" belly band...
They both mostly sit in the closet...

They both work well with a super light gun that has rounded shape (j-frame, j-frame, j-frame)

but pocket carry or IWB works best for me.

I keep thinking I will find a reason to use them (attending a wedding or something where I cannot get "outed" for carrying)...but they are collecting dust right now!

Nakanokalronin
03-03-2012, 11:14
I use the 5.11 shirt with a snub in one pocket and a speed strip or two in the other while bike riding. It works perfectly under a normal t-shirt and although it's not as fast as IWB, it certainly is the best option for me when riding the trails.

As far as sizing, do not go larger. It's suppose to fit like a compression shirt so it keeps everything nice and tight to the body for concealment and draw. It's not uncomfortable and does not make you sweat since it's made out of moisture wicking material that breaths nicely.

nursetim
03-03-2012, 14:23
I have a 5.11 holster shirt. I like it but it has padding on each side that is very scratchy. I have to wear a t-shirt underneath to stop the itch and then a cover garment, so it has to be pretty cool for me to be comfortable. It works well with a g23 but that is the upper limit as far a size goes to comfortably conceal.

What is this "free" belly band?

g30sfjeepguy
03-03-2012, 17:14
never carried except OWB and IWB do you think it would work well with a 30sf? I have thought about getting one but didn't know if it'd work

CookeMonster
03-04-2012, 14:12
I have a 5.11 holster shirt. I like it but it has padding on each side that is very scratchy. I have to wear a t-shirt underneath to stop the itch and then a cover garment, so it has to be pretty cool for me to be comfortable. It works well with a g23 but that is the upper limit as far a size goes to comfortably conceal.

What is this "free" belly band?

Comes free with the cheaper holster shirts. I will also say that the cheaper shirts are NOT very breathable and quite warm, so they are also a cooler weather garment. Both the shirt and Belly Band for $40ish is not a bad deal though.

2740dmx
03-04-2012, 15:35
never carried except OWB and IWB do you think it would work well with a 30sf? I have thought about getting one but didn't know if it'd work
I personally do not think you would have good results with a Glock 30, using a bellyband or a tee-shirt holster.

They are best for small, thin, roundish guns...(revolvers..in my experience)

g30sfjeepguy
03-04-2012, 19:49
Thanks I didn't think it would but wanted to ask before I popped on one

Caver 60
03-05-2012, 23:56
I have a 5-11, but it makes me sweat unless I'm in AC or cool weather and not doing anything strenuous. Also, as mentioned, it's scratchy so I have to wear a regular T shirt under it. I carry at least one spare mag in the off pocket.

I've got several shirts with snaps instead of buttons. But if wearing a button type outer shirt I try to leave the second button down unbuttoned when I can get by with it. I especially like it for driving.

Like most carry systems, if somebody starts to hug you, be sure you get your arms under theirs first.

I rarely carry anything bigger than a micro Kahr in it, although I have carried a double stack 45 once or twice.

ETA Unless you have 6 pac abs and a hourglass waist, I'd recommend ordering one size too large. I ordered the correct size based on the size chart. After a half hour of trying to wear it and breath I returned it for one a size larger. Even then it's tight. I've got a bit of a gut, but it's not that bad at 5 ft 9 inches tall and 165 pounds.

revel8
07-21-2012, 17:46
anyone want to sell theirs ?