Wheat [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wheat

gimmejr
03-01-2012, 15:49
Ive done some searching around for answers but have not seen exactley what I am looking for. I know wheat is going to supplement what you already have so how many pounds would be good for a family of 4 for a year? I was thinking about buying it and packing it myself to save some money but looks like the savings isnt worth the effort. Unless I can find a good deal locally prices online arent much better then buying buckets prefilled. Costco has 40lb buckets for $45 delivered. Do you guys prefer the red over the white wheat? Any other input would be appreciated.

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-01-2012, 16:08
Do the cost co buckets have mylar and o2 absorbers? I can buy #50 of Prairie Gold or Bronze Chief for $35 locally, and bucketing costs about $4.. and I KNOW it was done right and I got what I paid for.

Red wheat is a bit "lighter" not as whole grain taste and feel as white. We use/store both, also soft white (used for pastries and biscuits).

I would suggest you do research on and purchase a GOOD mill.. I prefer the Country Living Grain Mill, and have friends with the Grain Maker.

The more or less book answer is 300lbs per person per year. So you are looking at 1200lbs or so. being in northern Cali, look around and make contact with some LDS members if you can, they have about the best bulk prices I know of.

You also need to know WHAT you are going to do with the wheat.. from cracked to flour to sprouting, I recommend the "Amazing Wheat Book"..

gimmejr
03-01-2012, 16:50
Its packed by Shelf Reliance and is supposed to be in mylar bags with a gamma seal lid.
After I buy the wheat the mill is next on my list of things to get. Ill look up that book too. I have a couple #10 cans of wheat I plan to do some practicing with,

UneasyRider
03-01-2012, 17:03
We bought ours from beprepared.com in both hard red and hard white as well as rolled oats. As mentioned the key is the mill, when it stops working you have no flour.

LongGun1
03-01-2012, 17:53
Ive done some searching around for answers but have not seen exactley what I am looking for. I know wheat is going to supplement what you already have so how many pounds would be good for a family of 4 for a year? I was thinking about buying it and packing it myself to save some money but looks like the savings isnt worth the effort. Unless I can find a good deal locally prices online arent much better then buying buckets prefilled. Costco has 40lb buckets for $45 delivered. Do you guys prefer the red over the white wheat? Any other input would be appreciated.

Lot of good answers...IMO!

I prefer the organic Hard White Winter Wheat for bread...

..and that is primarily what I stock..

..though I have a few? thousand lbs of other types.

When finally I divest myself of the NE La home..

..I plan to get another large bulk load from Kansas..

..likely a bulk buy with other preppers.

It is a time consuming mixing DE & wheat..

.. & then filling 5 or 6 gallon mylar bagged buckets..

..considering 32 & 50 gallon barrels the next go round!

Also have an small amount in #10 cans..

..likely will do the same time as well.

I have an older electric Whispermill..

..and a Country Living Mill with accessories..

..including a homemade variable speed motor drive.

Slow is better..

..you do not want to excessively heat the flour while grinding.

gimmejr
03-01-2012, 19:31
Thats alot of wheat. What do you guys think of people buying wheat from the feed stores? Ive read that it could be treated with stuff you really wouldnt want to eat.

LongGun1
03-01-2012, 21:04
Thats alot of wheat. What do you guys think of people buying wheat from the feed stores? Ive read that it could be treated with stuff you really wouldnt want to eat.

I do not buy uncleaned feed grain...

..orthodontists are expensive! :whistling:

Try...

http://www.yoderscountrymarket.net/Golden%2086%20Wheat/item/19320

Although Walton Feed also sold Golden 86 Wheat..

..I would stay clear of them.

Although their wheat was guaranteed bug free, in sealed plastic bags, and stored approximately 60 F or cooler..

..when opened 8 or so bags were found to be infested with weevils! :faint:

After many phone calls over a couple of years..

.. & repeated promises to replace the wheat on the "next truck going your way"..

..over 10 years have passed..

..no truck...no wheat! :steamed:

On the flipside..

..I have been a satisfied customer of Emergency Essentials for over 15 years.

http://beprepared.com/

For smaller orders like cans & pails....you should give them an order.

http://beprepared.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_1095_A_Grains_E_

They have a large selection of other preparedness items also! :supergrin:

Their 100 hour candles are a "must have"...IMO!

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=CL%20C700

BTW...My favorite Organic Hard White Winter Wheat is...Natural s’Wheat http://www.farmerdirectfoods.com/

Farmer Direct Foods
P.O. Box 326
Atchison, KS 66002
800-372-4422
Fax (913) 367-4443
Farmer Direct Foods
Products are available by mail, fax or telephone.
Farmer Direct Foods offers a wide variety of Natural s’Wheat ingredients. Natural s’Wheat Whole Wheat Flour, bran, bulgur, cracked wheat and white wheat berries.

gimmejr
03-02-2012, 08:34
Ouch shipping really kills the deal with Yoders, if they were local to me it would probably be the best deal. I was deciding between beprepared and costco. Shipping isnt that much different but Costco has the convenience of returning it locally while beprepared has a much bigger selection of stuff related to prepping. Actually I have other stuff sitting in my beprepared shopping cart I have to order.

UneasyRider
03-02-2012, 11:57
Ouch shipping really kills the deal with Yoders, if they were local to me it would probably be the best deal. I was deciding between beprepared and costco. Shipping isnt that much different but Costco has the convenience of returning it locally while beprepared has a much bigger selection of stuff related to prepping. Actually I have other stuff sitting in my beprepared shopping cart I have to order.

be preprared has a maximum shipping of only $12 no matter how large your order is... you can buy barrels or whatever.

gosnmic
03-02-2012, 21:23
+2.5 on Be Prepared / Emergency Essentials (from my experience -- good place & good stuff!) ... I've gotten the LDS and EE/BP (SuperPail) wheat along with local organic wheat (in 1lb bags). The LDS and EE/BP wheat seemed to stack up against each other (took part in a 'cook-off' with both types of wheat cooking from-scratch-wheat bread)... I've also seen a local off-the-road place advertising wheat at $8/"bag" which I have never (yet?) taken up on . . . (though I have though about it on more than one occasion!) Definitely considerations between ordering pre-packed and storing yourself - hopefully you can find something which fits all your criteria! (and maybe I can get around to checking out my semi-local $8/bag 'supply' source...)