Are there premade grip strips for the ribs on the Glock slide? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are there premade grip strips for the ribs on the Glock slide?

INEEDMILK
03-02-2012, 03:06
I tried making my own today out of skateboard grip-tape, but they didn't come out as cleanly as I would have liked.

TxGlock9
03-02-2012, 04:58
Decal grips makes small skateboard tape that goes on the rear most part of the slide but it's really not much. Are you having problems racking your slide? If not I'd leave the slide free of skateboard tape.

kalifornia
03-02-2012, 05:58
Patience and try again with a straight edge, razor blade and good scissors for rounding the corners and maybe some calipers. Then before you peel it spray with flat paint so it doesn't sparkle.

Paul53
03-02-2012, 14:15
Talon grips are excellent and cheap, if I understand your question.

Able 5
03-02-2012, 14:20
INEEDMILK, drink more and grow man hands...I do not understand your question.

NCHeel
03-02-2012, 14:27
Cut them slightly larger than needed then fit them with a hair dryer (I use a heat gun because I go extreme on everything). They will shrink slightly and become very pliable. In the slide serrations would be cool. I have only seen this.

http://www.radiopaniekzaaierwebradio.com/videoimages/x7bXDDgg9yA/Nutnfancy%20Glock%20Mods-2.jpg

INEEDMILK
03-03-2012, 01:31
just in case I was unclear, this is what I am talking about

http://i.imgur.com/Sq3Ju.jpg

mine looks similar to this, but i'd like it cleaner. if im going to do some kind of home customization like this, i want it to be perfect.

the slide grooves are more-or-less 1/8th of an inch. i was asking if there were any premade 1/8th inch strips of grip tape made specifically for the Glock slide.

INEEDMILK
03-03-2012, 01:33
Decal grips makes small skateboard tape that goes on the rear most part of the slide but it's really not much. Are you having problems racking your slide? If not I'd leave the slide free of skateboard tape.

yea i do occasionally have problems when my hands are sweaty, or it is especially humid outside. its not that i cant grip the slide, its that my fingers are not PLANTED on the slide.

from the 2 days ive had this on my gun, i like it much better. i want to get a more factory look though, which is why im asking if there are any premade strips for these valleys.

if not, ill just have to take several hours to do each one meticulously.

NCHeel
03-03-2012, 01:44
I like that. No strips that I know of. Best bet is to get a guillotine type paper cutter and make your own. This will give you neater looking strips than trying to freehand with scissors or a utility knife. I will be trying this tomorrow.

INEEDMILK
03-03-2012, 17:14
http://i.imgur.com/4DJsj.jpg

kalifornia
03-03-2012, 17:30
a slightly soapy solution makes it easier to slide in place.

dhoomonyou
03-03-2012, 17:43
Isn't there an adapter for the backplate cover that has a "handle" type thingy?

bustedknee
03-03-2012, 18:03
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/CoatHook248.jpg

Print this picture.

Take it to nearest Lowe's Home Improvement and Gun Shop.

Show picture to salesperson.

Tell him/her you need one of these "Dual Unlimited Module - Assist, Shooter's Slides". $2.48 by the way.

Drill two holes on top of the slide, just in front of the rear sight using the "Dual -Assist" as a drill guide.

Note: This is the ambidextrous model and allows racking the slide with either hand or with something other than your weak hand (just in case you are shot in the arm).

WARNING: This upgrade is legal only in the Unlimited category of GSSF.

Please post pictures.

:laughing:

Rustin
03-03-2012, 18:17
Apparently some people around here don't expose themselves to enough shooting to know that sometimes your hands get muddy/bloody/sweaty. The glock serrations are lacking. Actually I was planning to do the exact same grip tape job after someone posted that picture of that G19 in another thread. I figured the guy was just very meticulous and took the time to make it perfect. I don't know if I care that much about how it looks. After handling the M&P series with the scalloped serrations I realized I would like a little more grip. Under normal, static shooting conditions there is nothing wrong with the Glock serrations, but shoot enough in the sweltering heat and you'll want more grip.

dhoomonyou
03-03-2012, 18:42
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/CoatHook248.jpg

Print this picture.

Take it to nearest Lowe's Home Improvement and Gun Shop.

Show picture to salesperson.

Tell him/her you need one of these "Dual Unlimited Module - Assist, Shooter's Slides". $2.48 by the way.

Drill two holes on top of the slide, just in front of the rear sight using the "Dual -Assist" as a drill guide.

Note: This is the ambidextrous model and allows racking the slide with either hand or with something other than your weak hand (just in case you are shot in the arm).

WARNING: This upgrade is legal only in the Unlimited category of GSSF.

Please post pictures.

:laughing:

Duh
Genius

INEEDMILK
03-03-2012, 19:03
Apparently some people around here don't expose themselves to enough shooting to know that sometimes your hands get muddy/bloody/sweaty. The glock serrations are lacking. Actually I was planning to do the exact same grip tape job after someone posted that picture of that G19 in another thread. I figured the guy was just very meticulous and took the time to make it perfect. I don't know if I care that much about how it looks. After handling the M&P series with the scalloped serrations I realized I would like a little more grip. Under normal, static shooting conditions there is nothing wrong with the Glock serrations, but shoot enough in the sweltering heat and you'll want more grip.

yea. like i said above, indoors i have no problems getting a good grip on the slide. however i live in one of the most humid states in America. when i shoot outdoors or go to the unairconditioned indoor range around me, the slide becomes increasingly hard to hold. my hands just slip right off if i am trying a quick maneuver.

i shot it today for the first time with the grip tape and it makes a huge difference. i definitely recommend trying it.

and for the rest of you :panties:

kodiakpb
03-03-2012, 19:32
Looks like you did a pretty good job to me. Does it help a lot?

Patchman
03-03-2012, 19:34
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have to admire the ingenious solution for this potentially non-existing problem. :wavey:

Am I being harsh? Maybe I'm being too harsh.

When it's hot/humid out, and you have to rack the slide while your hands are dripping with blood, mud or sweat, try this: Grasp. Slide. More. Firmly. :)

cowboy1964
03-03-2012, 20:32
Glocks serrations are the worst. Plus the slide is just plain harder to rack even when you get a good grip.

HKs and Sigs take no effort at all to rack in comparison. M&Ps too.

JTSmith
03-03-2012, 21:21
I have to admire the ingenious solution for this potentially non-existing problem. :wavey:

So it is currently a problem, but it has the potential to NOT be a problem?

No way. You should always make fun of someone when they attempt to make their gun work as they see fit.

When it's hot/humid out, and you have to rack the slide while your hands are dripping with blood, mud or sweat, try this: Grasp. Slide. More. Firmly. :)

Seriously?

To the OP: I have the decal grip kit that comes with the strips, but I may try making some like you did. I think they turned out really good :thumbsup:

RYT 2BER
03-04-2012, 07:50
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have to agree

Veedubklown
03-04-2012, 12:10
If it were on with a set of talon grips, I think it would look better. It looks a bit out of place, just in the slide grooves. I've never had a problem with the slide serrations even on a wet stage.

INEEDMILK
03-04-2012, 14:51

Not problems. My fingers are just not as secure on it as I would like.

Like I said before, this is not a necessity, just a nice amenity. And if I can make my gun more suited to my needs for $4 and a few hours of time, I'm going to do it.

Yea, I'm guessing the people in this thread who are giving me **** own worn-down 3rd Gens and also live in dry states where sweaty fingertips arent a problem.

Looks like you did a pretty good job to me. Does it help a lot?

Yes. It helps a ton. I love it and plan on doing a "perfect" set sometime this week.

I'll post better pictures when I get them all done.

Glocks serrations are the worst. Plus the slide is just plain harder to rack even when you get a good grip.

HKs and Sigs take no effort at all to rack in comparison. M&Ps too.

If it were on with a set of talon grips, I think it would look better. It looks a bit out of place, just in the slide grooves. I've never had a problem with the slide serrations even on a wet stage.

I have a Gen 4 and I think the problem is exacerbated by the Tenifer coating on all the new slides.

I don't have as much of an issue on my friends 2008 Gen 3.

Patchman
03-04-2012, 17:11
Not problems. My fingers are just not as secure on it as I would like.

Yea, I'm guessing the people in this thread who are giving me **** own worn-down 3rd Gens and also live in dry states where sweaty fingertips arent a problem.

Now that you've clarified why you need additional purchase on the slide, good luck.

INEEDMILK
03-05-2012, 15:01
a pic of the cleaned up strips

http://i.imgur.com/CdIH3.jpg

DubfromGA
03-05-2012, 16:04
Filling grip serrations with anything is a bad idea in my opinion.

I live in a very humid area. I've racked Glock slides that were soaked with both water and mud. The factory serrations are perfect. Slick mud over those grip tape panels will be hard to grasp.

I think this is simply another attempt to be tacticool which is silly.

novasquid
03-05-2012, 16:35
i'm new to glocks, but putting grip tape in between the ribs were first on my mind when i got home with my new g29sf. good to hear it worked out for you and isn't just for show.

have you thought of alternating the grip tape in between the ribs? open space, grip tape, open space, grip tape, etc.

wearesimian
11-06-2012, 12:54
I actually make and sell these as kits. You get the 14 strips to go in your slide grooves and an alcohol prep pad for $5. Free shipping. PM me if you guys are interested.