Why do you need to carry a gun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why do you need to carry a gun?

Luvdux
03-02-2012, 09:30
So what is your favorite Answer to the question "why do you need to carry a gun?"

Obviously many need to, police and such, but For the ccw what is your answer?

My buddy asked me a few weeks back and I said "I don't NEED to, and I AIM to keep it that way." corney but got a laugh out of him.

series1811
03-02-2012, 09:31
So what is your favorite Answer to the question "why do you need to carry a gun?"

My buddy asked me a few weeks back and I said "I don't NEED to, and I AIM to keep it that way." corney but got a laugh out of him.

In case I need to shoot somebody or something. Is there really another reason?

Tang419
03-02-2012, 09:34
Why do I NOT need a carry gun ? How about you tell me that first. :shocked:

Patriot III
03-02-2012, 09:36
Because carrying a Cop is too inconvienient.

fgutie35
03-02-2012, 09:36
Because evil DOES EXISTS in its two forms; Spiritual and Physical. If you don't belive me, I can point you to the many articles about happily married husbands killing entire family (even babies involved) and self. I cannot find any other explanation for that. I prepare myself and my family for the Spiritual battle, but I also prepare myself for the Physical one; against evil.

CVN76
03-02-2012, 09:43
--Because I can.

--Just in case of an emergency...crazy Pit Bull attacks, someone tries to rob me, if some psycho-idiot starts shooting people at the store I am at I can shoot back, if my car breaks down in a bad part of town or in the middle of nowhere then it may be handy.

--If I came back to my house and someone has broken in, I already have a gun.

--To be able to defend myself until the police get there.

Sippo
03-02-2012, 09:47
--Because I can.

--Just in case of an emergency...crazy Pit Bull attacks, someone tries to rob me, if some psycho-idiot starts shooting people at the store I am at I can shoot back, if my car breaks down in a bad part of town or in the middle of nowhere then it may be handy.

Agree with all the above. I might add that carrying a pistol is a whole lot more intelligent than DENIAL.

SCmasterblaster
03-02-2012, 09:58
Because I am highly trained regarding firearms. If I was ever in a situation where one was needed, and I was unarmed, I would be embarassed to death and ashamed.

Ranger54
03-02-2012, 10:06
Because I am legally able to, because I am well versed in firearms and their use, know the law. Because I believe in the principles of self defense. Because the bad guy can be anywhere and I want a fighting chance. Because the Declaration of Independance tells me I the right to" Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" and a bad guy may try to take one or all.

RowdyatHeart
03-02-2012, 10:06
Why do I put on underwear, socks and wear a watch? Why do I own a shovel, skil saw, and crescent wrench?

Tang419
03-02-2012, 10:07

lmao, priceless :rofl:

Irelander
03-02-2012, 10:19
Because it is the right and duty of every law abiding citizen to protect themselves and their loved ones. Carrying a gun is the most efficient way to do that.

powder86
03-02-2012, 10:22
--Because I can.

that pretty much covers the bases.
plus, i'm just not an mma fighter. i can defend myself against one unarmed attacker, but i can't take on more than that at once. if a group attacks me, i need something to even the odds.

tattedglock651
03-02-2012, 10:23
Because I would much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

That's my justification to that question every time I'm asked. I may have to use the carrying a cop one though that's pretty dang funny!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

barth
03-02-2012, 10:25

I choose life.

pizza_pablo
03-02-2012, 10:28
This should be in Carry Issues....but, anyways

I usually respond with something like, "I hope I don't have to use my spare tire, but I carry it" or, "I hope I don't have to use insurance, but I carry it", you get the idea.

RailGun
03-02-2012, 10:30
The Constitution gives me the right and I enjoy guns so a good match for me. Hope to never need it though.

Dave Nowlin
Why do you carry insurance of any kind? I invite the OP to answer that. When you do , apply the same rationale to carrying a gun.

SPIN2010
I carry because, it has been proven beyond all doubts that I need deadly force in Cincinnati, Ohio.

sr975j
03-02-2012, 10:33
I carry because, it has been proven beyond all doubts that I need deadly force in Cincinnati, Ohio.

^^ being a cincinnati native myself, I couldn't agree more. Also, because its my right to do so. There are a lot of screwed up people in this world and I know if im carrying, I have a hell of a lot better chance of defending myself.

Sam

DannyII
03-02-2012, 10:37
I choose (need) to carry because it is my right to defend myself, and I also feel it is my personal duty to defend my loved ones from violent criminal attack.

Since, by nature, random violent criminal attacks are random, I choose to be prepared every day rather than be afraid. If I knew when the attack would come, I would simply avoid it. Since I don't know if or when the attack will come, carrying daily to defend myself is the price I'm willing to pay for peace of mind.

~The unarmed man can only flee from evil. And evil is never overcome by fleeing from it. Col. Jeff Cooper

Luvdux
03-02-2012, 10:40

I usually respond with something like, "I hope I don't have to use my spare tire, but I carry it" or, "I hope I don't have to use insurance, but I carry it", you get the idea.

I know but it would not let me start a thread there. Tried several times it said I did not have access.

Mo'Gunz
03-02-2012, 10:42
2 tours in Afghanistan and 3 in Iraq. I just feel naked without my Glock

MonsterB
03-02-2012, 11:01
carrying a pistol is a whole lot more intelligent than DENIAL.
I like that the best. I'm going to have to use that one :)

I0WA
03-02-2012, 11:05
Because contrary to popular belief, the police aren't here to protect us. They're here to clean up the mess and charge crimes after they are already committed.

Undersiege1
03-02-2012, 11:08

Thank you for serving our country!

crash_gsxr750
03-02-2012, 11:13
tagged for reading and re-reading again until i can remember these verbatim and use them to persaude others.

Many fantastic responses.

saxconnection
03-02-2012, 11:20
I carry because it would be foolish not to, working nights in Detroit. The twelve year-old kids out here are more heavily armed than I am.

Adam

dawgchamp
03-02-2012, 11:20

FTW. :number1:

OSUJEEPER
03-02-2012, 11:29
Because when seconds feel like hours, the police are minutes away!

dhoomonyou
03-02-2012, 11:35
when seconds count, the cops will be there in minutes

its my right

gun, what gun, im just happy to see you.

frontier2011
03-02-2012, 11:46
I don't need to carry one.
I have one right here on my hip.

dyobvk
03-02-2012, 11:56
I carry for personal defense and protection of my family. After being carjacked at gun point and robbed 2 times in the mid 90's I had no other choice but to my a CCW. almost 20 years later i have over 35 guns. Glocks are my favorite. I hate the Police.

SGT278ACR
03-02-2012, 12:00
My answer is pretty cut & dry. I used to be a state corrections officer at a maximum security prison, then I was a police officer for several years. Under those circumstances... you never know when you might be confronted by a former inmate or subject that you've dealt with in the past that is still holding a grudge against you. A colleague of mine used to be a jail deputy and was confronted by a former inmate in Wal-Mart while he had his kids with him & he was unarmed. He said he never felt more vulnerable. Needless to say... he now carries everywhere he goes. For that reason, as well as generally not wanting to be a victim, I carry. Not to mention that I'm now a paraplegic and am at a disadvantage against a would be assailant.

Schaffer
03-02-2012, 12:09
If you walk out your door and are unarmed. Simply say one word. "bahh"

ATW525
03-02-2012, 12:39
Because some people just need shooting.

Chesafreak
03-02-2012, 12:43
If someone asks me, I ask them if they have a fire extinguisher in their kitchen. My pistol is just like thier fire extinguisher. When seconds count, you don't have minutes to wait for the fire department or police to arrive. If that doesn't answer their question, I tell them that I have needed a gun to defend myself in the past and didn't have one and I may not get a second chance if it happens again. My concealed carry pistol is to me what their fire extinguisher and seatbelt is to them.

Creatism
03-02-2012, 12:50
If someone asks me, I ask them if they have a fire extinguisher in their kitchen. My pistol is just like thier fire extinguisher. When seconds count, you don't have minutes to wait for the fire department or police to arrive. If that doesn't answer their question, I tell them that I have needed a gun to defend myself in the past and didn't have one and I may not get a second chance if it happens again. My concealed carry pistol is to me what their fire extinguisher and seatbelt is to them.
Exactly. That's why I carry. I've had 1 instance where I really wish I'd had my gun on me, and didn't. After that you will never catch me unarmed! Period!!!

Typed from my iPhone.

Bruce M
03-02-2012, 12:53
I carry for personal defense and protection of my family. After being carjacked at gun point and robbed 2 times in the mid 90's I had no other choice but to my a CCW. almost 20 years later i have over 35 guns. Glocks are my favorite. I hate the Police.

Did the police carjack you??

liberty addict
03-02-2012, 12:54
--because i can.

--just in case of an emergency...crazy pit bull attacks, someone tries to rob me, if some psycho-idiot starts shooting people at the store i am at i can shoot back, if my car breaks down in a bad part of town or in the middle of nowhere then it may be handy.

--if i came back to my house and someone has broken in, i already have a gun.

--to be able to defend myself until the police get there.

+1,000

KennyFSU
03-02-2012, 12:57
I like the fire extinguisher analogy lol.

xmanhockey7
03-02-2012, 14:51
Because the voices in my head say I should

Luvdux
03-02-2012, 15:30
Because the voices in my head say I should

I find that vey comforting!

I put this post up for funny smart ass answers but it is cool to see how people came to such an important decision.

G30Mike
03-02-2012, 15:34
Exactly. That's why I carry. I've had 1 instance where I really wish I'd had my gun on me, and didn't. After that you will never catch me unarmed! Period!!!

Typed from my iPhone.

Same reason here too. After what happened to me and realizing that I COULD happen to me, I've never seen a reason why I shouldn't have a gun with me everywhere I go. Its a one time investment that pays for itself over time and it will pay for itself if you need it.
It gives me a fighting chance against scumbags that may want to try to do me harm again. My weapon proved to me that it is an effective means to self defense then, and if something like that happens again, I will not only be ready at home, but now wherever I am.

fiasconva
03-02-2012, 15:42
Running and screaming just wasn't working any more. I got tired and out of breath too fast.:rofl:

Snaps
03-02-2012, 15:45
911 was getting sick of me calling them everytime somebody looked suspicious, my dog barked at night, or I heard a noise

2740dmx
03-02-2012, 15:47
No one knows that I do carry concealed....
except my wife....and she is not telling anyone.

But...if they have to ask....they wouldn't understand!

OSUJEEPER
03-02-2012, 15:49
Why I carry a gun...

I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Stolen off another GT poster....

LASTRESORT20
03-02-2012, 15:57
Why do I put on underwear, socks and wear a watch? Why do I own a shovel, skil saw, and crescent wrench?

Good one Rowdy! :supergrin:

Bullwinkle J Moose
03-02-2012, 16:23

Why do you need me to justify to you why I exercise a God given legal right?

PS Luvdux, maybe you should stop telling people you carry. Nothing positive can come from broadcasting the fact.

Gray_Rider
03-02-2012, 16:34
Because I have reached for mine three times and drew once. I was taking the tension off the trigger when I was coming on target too....(No. I didn't have to shoot.)

Many times my hand was resting on my hidden pistol "just cuz" but it didn't go any further.

Gray_Rider
Unreconstructed Southerner
Deo Vindice

BigNic
03-02-2012, 16:36
My carry weapon balances me. If I didn't carry, I would fall over onto my weak side.

Luvdux
03-02-2012, 17:02
Why do you need me to justify to you why I exercise a God given legal right?

PS Luvdux, maybe you should stop telling people you carry. Nothing positive can come from broadcasting the fact.

Who said that I tell people or broadcast?

Sure I said it on here but I believe most here do. It was "broadcast" in the local paper when I got my permit but that is normal. My best friend asked me once when he saw me take it off when we got to my house one night. There are very few people who know and they know me very well and most that do carry as well.

Dalton Wayne
03-02-2012, 17:10
Because I work a dangerous job deal with large sums of money, all at night in the hood, and a lot of the hood rats know where I live

frontier2011
03-02-2012, 17:15
Same reason here too. After what happened to me and realizing that I COULD happen to me, I've never seen a reason why I shouldn't have a gun with me everywhere I go. Its a one time investment that pays for itself over time and it will pay for itself if you need it.
It gives me a fighting chance against scumbags that may want to try to do me harm again. My weapon proved to me that it is an effective means to self defense then, and if something like that happens again, I will not only be ready at home, but now wherever I am.

so what happened??

idahoglock
03-02-2012, 17:21
Why I carry a gun...

I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

And.............zombies.

G30Mike
03-02-2012, 17:38
so what happened??

Refer to this thread for my story....

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393924

Ticman
03-02-2012, 17:41
I carry to give myself another option when bad things happen. Of course, when you really need a gun there's really no other option.

Seraph
03-02-2012, 19:15

First post nails it down succinctly. That's exactly what I tend to say in response to that goofy question.

kensteele
03-02-2012, 20:02

Sorry to interrup this gun luvfest but... :)

Lot of good answers here but I disagree with these.

I ride a motorcycle and don't carry a spare tire. Don't need it or want it. Even so, lots of cars on the road with no spare tires. If the seller didn't put a spare in your car, you probably wouldn't have one either. If a decent spare cost $800 like a decent firearm, you probably wouldn't have one.

I carry auto insurance because it is mandatory in my state. Bottom line. No if ands or buts. Already people carry the state minimum if they can and most lienholders require full coverage. Auto insurance is hardly a desireable

While these answers might seem clever or catchy, they aren't very good or valid and will only temporarily fool the stupid anti-gunner. Please don't use these against the rationale person in a good argument since I believe it will actually make the gun owner sound pretty foolish. There are much better reasons to carry a firearm and as said, has to do with personal protection.

Everything in life has to do with risk but if you think about it, even when the risks are tiny to non-existent, many of us still carry. That includes in the shower in our locked homes. On the flip side, when the risks are highest (in Chicago), we don't carry. that's why I say, spare tires and auto insurance have zero to do with ccw.

writwing
03-02-2012, 20:10

Thank you for serving.

kensteele
03-02-2012, 20:14
If someone asks me, I ask them if they have a fire extinguisher in their kitchen. My pistol is just like thier fire extinguisher. When seconds count, you don't have minutes to wait for the fire department or police to arrive.....

But I'm not going to go to jail for using my fire extinguisher to put out a fire. So I'll get one and I'll use it if I have to.

Isn't it possible that you might get arrested or go to court or get sued and/or likely risk injury if you use a firearm instead of waiting for the police to arrive?

If I go shopping for the day, are you suggesting that I pickup a fire extinguisher AND a firearm (among other things) to mitigate the daily risks I face?

I just don't see how they are comparable. I know it SOUNDS good, but it's just not the same. You can't exactly lose your freedom because you explictly pulled the fire extinguisher trigger. Can you understand how some people may not be comfortable shooting another person and would rather implement some other [reasonable] form of self-protection? Surely you are not implying a firearm is the ONLY means to self-protection? Isn't it a matter of choice?

Personally I think people have fire extinguishers because they are inexpensive, easy to operate, and highly effective for the most frequent encounters. Still, many people do not have them. In my mind, a fire extinguisher takes care of small, easy to handle, sudden but anticipated problems...which you might equate to calling 911 using a cellphone (carrying a cellphone in case you need to call 911), not carrying a firearm for personal protection.

Blaster
03-02-2012, 21:08
"The Gun Is Civilization" by Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories,without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion.

Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunken guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force, watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

G30Mike
03-02-2012, 21:12
But I'm not going to go to jail for using my fire extinguisher to put out a fire. So I'll get one and I'll use it if I have to.

Isn't it possible that you might get arrested or go to court or get sued and/or likely risk injury if you use a firearm instead of waiting for the police to arrive?

If I go shopping for the day, are you suggesting that I pickup a fire extinguisher AND a firearm (among other things) to mitigate the daily risks I face?

I just don't see how they are comparable. I know it SOUNDS good, but it's just not the same. You can't exactly lose your freedom because you explictly pulled the fire extinguisher trigger. Can you understand how some people may not be comfortable shooting another person and would rather implement some other [reasonable] form of self-protection? Surely you are not implying a firearm is the ONLY means to self-protection? Isn't it a matter of choice?

Personally I think people have fire extinguishers because they are inexpensive, easy to operate, and highly effective for the most frequent encounters. Still, many people do not have them. In my mind, a fire extinguisher takes care of small, easy to handle, sudden but anticipated problems...which you might equate to calling 911 using a cellphone (carrying a cellphone in case you need to call 911), not carrying a firearm for personal protection.

Are your initials SB, JB, or HC?

I've used a firearm in self defense...obviously I'm not posting on GT from a state or federal penitentiary. In fact, I was never even "taken into custody". I did have to "go downtown" and make a statement, but I got to go home and get some things before I made my way to a motel.
There is a right time to use a firearm in SD, and there are other times that don't warrant its use.

Hopefully your post is only in jest.

CVN76
03-02-2012, 21:22

In Georgia, I am not going to jail for using my gun or other weapon (maybe hitting them in the head with a fire extinguisher) to prevent death or major bodily injury to me or another person. Of course I would love the police help me, but until they arrive or if I don't have time to call first, then that is when the gun or other weapon will come in very handy.

Rev.357
03-02-2012, 21:41
I've been a CC for 15yrs! I now carry every day because my wifes sister was kidnapped, raped & beat to death on 12-26-11. This by a man that never knew her or our family or even cares about what he was going to do to someone.:steamed: Myself & my family will be ready for some sorry SOB that tryes hurt us or someone.

glockbob
03-02-2012, 22:25
Rev.357,

I hope you have the death penalty in SC. So sorry for the loss of your sister-in-law.

kensteele
03-02-2012, 22:34
Are your initials SB, JB, or HC?

I've used a firearm in self defense...obviously I'm not posting on GT from a state or federal penitentiary. In fact, I was never even "taken into custody". I did have to "go downtown" and make a statement, but I got to go home and get some things before I made my way to a motel.
There is a right time to use a firearm in SD, and there are other times that don't warrant its use.

Hopefully your post is only in jest.

Don't know who those initials are.

Actually I don't know what your post is referring to so I'm going to just basically ignore it. Sounds like you're talking about how you came thru a personal experience just fine...which is great.

kensteele
03-02-2012, 22:39
In Georgia, I am not going to jail for using my gun or other weapon (maybe hitting them in the head with a fire extinguisher) to prevent death or major bodily injury to me or another person. Of course I would love the police help me, but until they arrive or if I don't have time to call first, then that is when the gun or other weapon will come in very handy.

I never said you would go to jail for using your firearm. You said that...not me. I believe if you use your firearm in self-defense and you save your life, that's a good thing.

I thought the post said something about carrying a firearm yet in your last statment you clearly admit some other weapon as an alternative is feasible, correct? It's a personal thing for me but I don't see my firearm as something that "comes in handy if I don't have time to call first or until the police arrive." I don't see it that way for me, but I understand how you or others might carry that way.

G30Mike
03-02-2012, 22:49
Don't know who those initials are.

Actually I don't know what your post is referring to so I'm going to just basically ignore it. Sounds like you're talking about how you came thru a personal experience just fine...which is great.

Now that I reread your post you are basically saying this.....

So, with that, I aploligise for taking it out of context.

racer88
03-02-2012, 22:57
It was "broadcast" in the local paper when I got my permit but that is normal.

It IS??? NORMAL? Wow. Glad I don't live there (wherever there is).

I've heard most of the answers given here before. Here's another approach to consider (answer with your own question):

"Why do you need to carry a gun?"

Why do you NOT carry a gun?

or

Why do you ask? (This is always a great answer to awkward or inappropriate questions like this one or others like "how much money do you make?")

janice6
03-02-2012, 23:07
Ex SIL is a convicted felon. He is 6'5" 300lbs and a truck driver. Since I financed my daughters divorce from him, he said he was going to "burn down" my daughters house with her in it, and he told the kids they "should not be there when it burns". He said he was going to kill me and my wife.

I laughed at him. He found out from my daughter that I was carrying a G27 w/15 rnd mag, all the time.

My daughter said he is scared silly of guns.

That was years ago. He is polite and stays out fo my way. My wife carrys an automatic or a 642. My daughter carrys a 642, my other daughter carrys a 642 My son carrys (now) a 2 Inch .357 Magnum Rhino, his wife (my DIL) carrys a 9mm XD.

That's immediate family.

We carry all the time. He now stays clear of all of us and treats my Daughter "very well".

That's why.

Just_plinking
03-02-2012, 23:15
I believe that the more responsible people there are carrying legally, the less crime there will be. A lot of criminals don't think about anything but immediate consequences. I think the possibility of a potential victim being armed is a better deterrent than the justice system. So I agree with all the other good reasons listed in this thread, but also see it as sort of like casting your vote for a civilized and free society.

ScottieG59
03-03-2012, 06:07
This is one of those questions I actually rarely hear. If anything, I hear how it would not help. Basically, the weapon gives me a chance in a situation where I may have no chance at all.

I do not try to convince those who fear firearms to change their ways. I just say that they should realize there are dangers and deal with it appropriately. This may be a gun, dogs, non-lethal weapons or carefully assessing your environment.

Some people are not suited to carry deadly weapons; some know it and some do not.

DaneA
03-03-2012, 08:40
"It's a proactive life insurance policy"

happyguy
03-03-2012, 08:42
Why do you need to carry a gun?

Because you can't shoot someone with an Iphone.

Regards,
Happyguy ;)

unit1069
03-03-2012, 10:40

To that question I'd reply, "I don't need to carry a gun but I choose to exercise my individual Second Amendment right so that I may contribute to firmly establishing that right. Furthermore, by choosing to carry a gun I help diminish the Marxist Radical Left agenda determined to extinguish America's Second Amendment. Finally, when I'm traveling somewhere unknown to me or a locale with a certain level of crime I choose to carry a gun against the possibility I may become a victim of crime".

If the questioner wants to discuss my answer in a reasonable way I'll take that as an opportunity to promote the Founding Fathers' vision of what individual freedom means to the well-being of the human race.

G19aps
03-03-2012, 11:32
Because you can't shoot someone with an Iphone.

There's an app for that, now.

fattboyzz
03-03-2012, 11:39
Agree with all the above. I might add that carrying a pistol is a whole lot more intelligent than DENIAL.

I like that the best. I'm going to have to use that one :)You quoted the above & I quoted you because its just good internetting....lol

Because contrary to popular belief, the police aren't here to protect us. They're here to clean up the mess and charge crimes after they are already committed. an that my friend is the sadd plain ole truth ;[

racer88
03-03-2012, 12:40
To that question I'd reply, "I don't need to carry a gun but I choose to exercise my individual Second Amendment right so that I may contribute to firmly establishing that right. Furthermore, by choosing to carry a gun I help diminish the Marxist Radical Left agenda determined to extinguish America's Second Amendment. Finally, when I'm traveling somewhere unknown to me or a locale with a certain level of crime I choose to carry a gun against the possibility I may become a victim of crime".

If the questioner wants to discuss my answer in a reasonable way I'll take that as an opportunity to promote the Founding Fathers' vision of what individual freedom means to the well-being of the human race.

Fixed that for ya! ;) I can't know where crime might or might not happen. So, when I "travel" anywhere, I choose to carry.

But, I like what you said. Well done!

unit1069
03-03-2012, 18:39
Fixed that for ya! I can't know where crime might or might not happen. So, when I "travel" anywhere, I choose to carry.

But, I like what you said. Well done!

You're right, of course. And your point is well taken by an experience I had just today after putting up my last post.

My wife and I were out looking for a used beater car for our teenage daughter. I had thought of arming myself but it's Saturday, mid-noon, and lots of people out and about. I wasn't packing, deciding to leave the CCW at home due to the particular clothing I was wearing.

We drove by a car lot and spotted a model I'd been considering so I turned into a narrow street parallel to the lot. I had to turn around in a driveway to pull alongside the lot, where my wife got out to enter the office.

The office was closed (gone to lunch said the note on the door) and while she was there I saw a car make a sudden sharp turn into the narrow side street where I was parked. The car pulled past me and turned around in the same driveway and parked about 50 feet behind me, where two men exited the vehicle, one of whom was wearing a hoodie with both hands in the pocket of said hoodie.

My wife innocently approached the two men while I was still sitting in the car thinking, "What a hell of a time for me to leave ourselves vulnerable". The two men were also checking out car bargains and it turned out to be nothing, but the sudden turn onto a narrow street (where a lone woman was the only person visible from the main thoroughfare) was a classic example of a possible crime of opportunity that made an impression on me. I'd describe the two men but then the politically-correct operatives who monitor these sites would accuse me of bigotry.

So yes, you did fix it for me and I thank you for that. Yours is a timely reminder how anyone in everyday routine can suddenly become a victim.

Nakanokalronin
03-03-2012, 20:00
Because I've taken the responsibility to defend myself and my loved ones from harm.

Never say "Because I can". It's a statement that does not reflect what carrying a gun for self defense is all about. It just seems like a derogatory mind set to those asking the question that gives off the feeling that you just like carrying a gun for no other reason then to feel tough or look cool. You may not mean it that way but it can easily be taken as such.

Brian Lee
03-03-2012, 21:44

Same here. My gun ain't for crackin' nuts. I got another tool for that.

larson1122
03-03-2012, 23:50
It is my legal right and responsibility to defend myself and my family.

SouthernBoyVA
03-04-2012, 08:32

I have a number of them, but one I have used in response to the question you posed is, "So I don't have to use it".

Another one I have used to the question, "What do you think the chance is that you'll need to use that?" to which I have answered, "Zero percent... until it's 100%".

SpectreRider
03-04-2012, 16:05
Them: Why do you carry?

Me: Watch the local news tonight and we will discuss this tomorrow.

Them: Oh......yea, I guess so.

EMTCOP
03-04-2012, 23:51
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.....

I realized my first year in law enforcement that I would rarely arrive on a scene where a violent crime was still in progress.

Yes, I am a police officer who supports duly qualified citizens carrying concealed firearms / weapons.

RJ's Guns
03-05-2012, 01:50
Why I carry a gun...

I agree with that 100%.
RJ

PS

A heads up to those posting things on forums about topics such as this;

More and more prosecutors are having defendants, in criminal cases, postings on the internet investigated to see if there are damaging and/or incriminating statements/admissions that can be used against the defendant in trial. Enough said.

itsaz
03-05-2012, 03:20
Because I'm too old to fight and too young to die.

g26andgtrs
03-05-2012, 10:31
Why do I need to carry a gun?

homicidal clowns and zombies...

uh, seriously... I've seen too much horror over the years, starting with the brutal rape/torture/stabbing murder of an elderly relative when I was maybe 6 years old. (for the record, I was thankfully not exposed to the crime scene, but it was a nightmare-inducing event for a little kid)

A woman was shot to death on campus when I was in college (this was 16 years ago). I was right there when the murderer was arrested and when the paramedics came and drew a sheet over the dead body. I've looked into the eyes of John Mohammed. (yeah, that was really scary, and that was quite awhile before he started shooting people in DC) I could go on and on.

Evil is out there, and I refuse to be a doormat any more. I carry a gun because I'd rather go down shooting than passively lie down in fear because i was too much of a coward to take responsibility for my life.

Bren
03-05-2012, 10:52

That;'s pretty much my standard answer. I usually say, "in case I want to shoot somebody," which is both more correct and slightly ominous.

Gunnut 45/454
03-05-2012, 14:20
My answer "because I'm a free man" !:supergrin:

DaneA
03-05-2012, 17:15
Because if someone wants to play stupid games I want to be able to give them their prize!

Dozerdog
03-05-2012, 17:59
Here's a few tongue and cheek answers:

• Because I can't carry a COP!!
• I carry a gun because I'm too old to fight. A young guy will kick your ass, but an old man will kill you.
• Because I can't throw a rock 1000 fps.
• For the same reasons I have fire extinguishers and wear my seatbelt.
• I would rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it.
• Don't let your dying words be "Damn, I wish I had my gun.
• People tell me I should have seat belts, air bags, motorcycle helmets, fire extinguishers, a first aid kit, locks on my doors so I figure, what the heck, a gun couldn't hurt either.
• Because a cop is too heavy to carry?
• OK, so a cop can walk, but then you have to carry donuts, to keep him close by.
• When did Noah build the Ark? That’s right, before it rained.
• Doesn't everyone carry a gun?
• In case I need to shoot something… or someone.
• Because when seconds count the cops are only minutes away.
• Cuz it ain't got no legs...
• Because you never know when one of us is going to come up lame and need to be put down!
• You know...because of the killer clowns.

But seriously, I carry because the most important job in my life is to protect my family and myself. A gun is the best tool I can think of to help me fulfill that purpose.

TactiCool
03-05-2012, 19:52
I open carry at my house because a man tried to break into my house during the aftermath of Katrina. Thankfully, I was armed at the time, and even more thankfully, he ran away when he saw me. The really sad part about the whole thing was that it turned out to be someone that I had grown up with. And no charges were filed against the guy, even though it was later found that he had committed a number of robberies. He died shortly after his attempt on my house, due to a drug overdose. He left a wife and two kids. The world can be so tragic sometimes.

Stover918
03-05-2012, 19:57
my answer to them is...why don't you carry?

My pistols, however, I always kept by me

wrenrj1
03-05-2012, 19:57
I don't expect to answer that question because I don't tell anyone that I'm not legally required to disclose. If LE asks after my disclosure as required by law, it is because I'm legally licensed/permitted to do so as they are.

Fragman
03-05-2012, 19:59
A ridiculous question that frankly if they have to ask they won't understand the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fragman
03-05-2012, 19:59
Oops. Doubled.

Sbh87
03-05-2012, 20:37
I carry a gun because the last time I checked the response time of a cop was not faster than the 1200fps response time of my 357.

jwhite75
03-05-2012, 20:50
I have spent 3/4 of my career working with nothing but convicted felons and criminals (probation and parole). I have been personally responsible for a lot of people going to prison. They dont like me, their families are still out and they get out at some point. I can also spot the unjailed criminals much easier than other people.

I dont plan to be a headline about some turd killing a probation officer at Wal Mart or the shopping mall. I will be a whirlwind of violence towards my aggressor until my last breath. If that means multiple rounds being flung downrange so be it.

Offtarget
03-05-2012, 22:08
I actually had a Police Officer ask me "Why do you feel the need to carry a gun?" I said politely "Officer I would like to ask you the same question and use your answer".

kensteele
03-05-2012, 22:25
I actually had a Police Officer ask me "Why do you feel the need to carry a gun?" I said politely "Officer I would like to ask you the same question and use your answer".

What if he said because his job requires him to carry a firearm? Personally if asked that question by LEO, I would reply with "I'm not really sure how to answer that question. I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for you, sorry."

Offtarget
03-05-2012, 22:50
kensteele, He kind of gave me a knowing smirk and moved on to something else. He could tell, under the circumstances, that I wan't trying to be smart, so he did view that as an acceptable answer.

RedHaze
03-05-2012, 22:59
I came across this quite a while back... but I think it sums it up pretty well.

I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don’t carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry. I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

-My Favorite-
I don’t carry a gun because I’m a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don’t carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

ConcealedG23
03-06-2012, 01:11
When seconds count, LEO are minutes away.

D

OSSI
03-06-2012, 03:18

Well, down here the Bad guys do, so I 'm supposed to do. They do, I can't. What's wrong here:upeyes:

happyguy
03-06-2012, 07:25
I actually had a Police Officer ask me "Why do you feel the need to carry a gun?"

Spits tobacco juice on the ground: " 'cause some folks need shootin'.":rofl:

Regards,
Happyguy :)

eclark53520
03-06-2012, 07:48
I pretty much avoid the question. They will never understand why you 'need' to carry a gun, asking the question is just a way for them to feel superior because now you have to somehow justify yourself to them.

If they insist on an answer, I answer with 'If you have to ask that question, you're not mature enough to understand the answer.' They don't typically want to talk to you after that suggestion, which is what I was aiming for.

SigFTW
03-06-2012, 09:17

Because I don't have room in my pocket for a cop because of the Israeli guy. :whistling:

Mopaw
03-06-2012, 10:36
Why do I carry a gun?
Because when seconds count the police are minutes away.

Now please understand, I have many close friends who are in Law Enforcement, and this is in no way a slight to them (or any LEO). I'm only pointing out the practicality of being prepared. On any given day you'll find me carrying a Glock, keys, money, and a handkerchief. Each has a specific, indispensable purpose that the others can't meet.

Jack23
03-06-2012, 16:54
I carry a gun for the one time in my entire life that I will need it to protect my own life of the life of someone else. Since I don't know when or even if I'll ever need it but if I only need it one time having carried it for all the years of my life it will have been well worth it. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, I carry it so I don't have to be afraid. Many of my friends that don't carry have told me that they do feel comfortable around me because if the worst should happen they know that I'll be prepared.

ConcealedG23
03-06-2012, 17:19
'If you have to ask that question, you're not mature enough to understand the answer.'

I'm defanitely going to reply with this one to whomever asks why I carry with a demeaning tone. If an individual has a genuine interest, see my prior post.

D

C J
03-06-2012, 18:06
Besides the obvious 'protect myself & family' or the lame 'because I can', it's our right. We all see what's going on in this country now. Contrary to the fact that crime is down. Most of us have been carrying for a few years. I'd hate be caught without a firearm anywhere or anytime. None of us even run to the mailbox without something. People who act like it's not happening in their town or area crack me up. Where do all these people live anyway? When's the last time any of you guys have been to Florida? If you come down, don't pack light!

pokersamurai
03-06-2012, 18:24
Either:

"Some people like their life insurance policy written on paper, I like mine made out of steel."

or my smart a** response,

"I carry a gun because I can't afford the model that carries me."

Tang419
03-06-2012, 19:05
My best answer has to go back to "It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

They might find me some day dead in a ditch, but by God I will be in a pile of brass.

I now carry a G19 and two extra mags. Thats 46 rounds at my disposal. If I don't get the job done by then, I deserve to die.

I was asked once, because I carry gun, was I scared of something. No I'm not scared, I have a gun dumb@$$ :-D

...and ofcourse, Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Tang419
03-06-2012, 19:12
Besides the obvious 'protect myself & family' or the lame 'because I can', it's our right. We all see what's going on in this country now. Contrary to the fact that crime is down. Most of us have been carrying for a few years. I'd hate be caught without a firearm anywhere or anytime. None of us even run to the mailbox without something. People who act like it's not happening in their town or area crack me up. Where do all these people live anyway? When's the last time any of you guys have been to Florida? If you come down, don't pack light!

Im glad you posted this, I don't feel so bad now. I carry my pistol on me every second Im at home. Sometimes open sometimes concealed, but my neighbors like me around.

sglock45
03-06-2012, 19:19
why do I carry, because I have seen some crazy stuff in my 29 years and I don't want to become a victim or when the seconds count the cops are minutes away that's my favorite

SouthernBoyVA
03-06-2012, 19:29

Answer: "Same reason as you, I suppose."
Answer: "So I don't have to use it."
Answer: "Same reason that I feel I need fire insurance."
Answer: "It's not a question of need. It's a question of necessity."
Answer: "I hear and see things others don't."

Obviously, a few of these are in the humorous vein and are probably best used if the officer has a sense of humor.

RedNine
03-06-2012, 19:32
Because it's not going to follow me around on it's own initiative.

wrenrj1
03-06-2012, 19:50
Why I carry a gun...

I'm printing this off and keeping it in my glove box for future use...

GKglock324
03-06-2012, 20:02
I carry because I can and I have not shot anyone...nor do I want to. As a trained CHL carrier, you are trained to deal in certain situations. Everyone is different. When to use force to to stop..and when to kill. To protect your life and property is a good right. If ya unarmed, and someone try to carjack ya...I don't think harsh language will stop them.
Granted, if they have a gun to your head, give up the car...then ya shoot out the tires after they drive away. No One wants the conscience of killing someone on their mind over a car....BUT...if a trespasser is found in the house..He can talk to St. Peter.