Rails [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rails

themighty9mm
03-02-2012, 12:18
I have been asking several questions about rail as of late. I have a couple of colt 6920's. I have put enough rounds down range now to know roughly what I am looking for. And roughly what I need or think I need. I have plans to take one of them to a carbine class eventually when funds and time permits. Untill then I want to make one of them a HD set up. It will also be used for somewhat rough handling range drills.

I want to mount a sling swivle towards the rear near the receiver, as I'm not real fond of the stock swivle on the barrel. I want to mount a light on the ejection port side. I may want to also mount a VFG, though not sure it will be needed. I use somewhat of a magpul style hold on the forgrip. I strongly want to keep the front sight, without modifying it. I also want to fairly easily get to the barrel for cleaning without having to deal with to much extra dissasembly. Free float is neither here nor there for me. All of my shots are within 200 yards, most being under 100.

I was strongly looking into a DD RIS 2 and other DD ris similar variants. However I really dont want to have to replace the barrel nut if I dont absolutly have to. I am now considering the KAC RAS rail. I have also looked into the centurian FSP carbine rail. I have to admit parts the military use have a certain cool factor to them. So is the RAS worth it? It seems to meet most of my needs/wants. How solid is it, any movement under some torque? How durable? Same question for the centurian rail? Anything else I should strongly look into?

JASV.17
03-02-2012, 12:28
I was going to suggest the Centurion FSP. I'll be ordering one next week.

Also consider Troy Alpha.

WoodenPlank
03-02-2012, 12:38
Bear in mind, a free float tube also prevents torque/flex on the barrel from a cinched down sling, and from resting the rail/handguard against a barrier or flat surface for barricade and supported shooting.

That said, I'd start with the KAS RAS blemished handguards on the KAC website, or a Daniel Defense EZ-CAR - either choice for $150 or less.

If you want a free-float without replacing the barrel nut, check out the DD Omega rail.

themighty9mm
03-02-2012, 13:03
Bear in mind, a free float tube also prevents torque/flex on the barrel from a cinched down sling, and from resting the rail/handguard against a barrier or flat surface for barricade and supported shooting.

That said, I'd start with the KAS RAS blemished handguards on the KAC website, or a Daniel Defense EZ-CAR - either choice for $150 or less.

If you want a free-float without replacing the barrel nut, check out the DD Omega rail.
What are some of the typical blemishes on the handguards?

faawrenchbndr
03-02-2012, 13:12
What are some of the typical blemishes on the handguards?

Normally light scratches that are covered up with covers
KAC would be my suggestion,......

jrs93accord
03-02-2012, 18:43
KAC M4 RAS would be a great choice. I comes complete with rails, covers, and VFG.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/DSC00591.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/DSC00592.jpg

I buy all of my KAC M4 RAS second-hand from the AR15.COM website in their Equipment Exchange section. I usually get them between $140-$180 shipped.