Stowing extra lube in an AR carbine? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stowing extra lube in an AR carbine?

Grayson
03-02-2012, 12:01
I'm a big fan of buttstock stowage of cleaning items in rifles that allow it, particularly if said rifle has any possibility that it could be used in a "SHTF" event.

However, I wasn't thinking in those terms back when I got my AR carbine (with standard pistol grip). IMO, lube is about the most important thing to keep one running happy - so I'd settle just for a way to keep some oil/CLP on board somehow.

I thought a small eyedrop bottle was just the ticket, but it's too fat to fit the grip. I feel like there must be SOMETHING out there that would work, and I'm just overlooking it...

The Otis CLP tubes just about fit with some compression, but are just a tad too long (not even counting that a grip plug will lessen the storage space even more).

Otis makes a grip cleaning kit, but I don't see any provision for lube at all....

I've seen advertised a grip kit with assorted tools plus what looks to be a very SMALL ampule for oil. Quite pricy and better than no extra lube at all, but...

I know there are a bazillion aftermarket grips out there, but without being able to see and inspect one up close, no way of telling how much storage space they offer.

I actually remember seeing a carbine buttstock advertised in Cheaper than Dirt that boasts "a huge storage compartment." Again, would really like to be able to see it up close - especially at the price!

Something else I've thought about was maybe a pouch that attached to the buttstock by velcro. I see magazine pouches at lots of places, but they're not fully closed. But I've also seen zippered pouches.

Bolster
03-02-2012, 12:41
This would be a kludge solution, but what about making up some straw tubes filled with lube?

If unfamiliar, you cut up a drinking straw (In N Out my favorites) to about 3" lengths, pinch and cauterize one end in flame (will melt together), fill about 3/4 full with with liquid, then pinch/cauterize the other end. Now you have a single-use vial. (Well, multi use if you keep it tipped upright.)

I keep tinder, oil, matches, antiseptic, detergent, and insect repellant in these. Why not lube?

http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/90461-What-do-you-carry-in-your-StrawTube

UneasyRider
03-02-2012, 13:19
I have the same conclusions as you do which is even harder since the AR15 likes to be wet. I would carry some with me in a small bottle if I took to the field for any length of time.

humanguerrilla
03-02-2012, 13:32
http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html
3ml bottle of machine gunners lube fits in a bunch or AR storage stuff about same diameter as a 123.
empty 3ml bottles
http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/products/packing/miniBottle-3.html

Also guys say 5ml eyedrop bottle fits magpul moe and miad blank insert.

gosnmic
03-02-2012, 19:58
I'm a big fan of buttstock stowage of cleaning items ...

I thought a small eyedrop bottle was just the ticket, but it's too fat to fit the grip.

There are a WIDE variety of contact lens solution bottles which might be suitable -- from "small" TSA-approved bottles up to 3oz -- as well as the even smaller lens-rewetting (those look like a small version of the previous post)... Those avenues should provide a good balance between sizes (though purchasing them JUST to reuse for lube storage could be cost-prohibitive since contact & lens solution bottles tend to be expensive plus some of them you can't really size up since they're in boxes). Not sure if that's exactly the "eyedrop" thinking you were going with, but the added benefit of those contact/eye-drop approaches is that they're made for dispensing small amounts (drops) at a time. Try looking around your Walmart or Walgreens (etc.) for contact lens solution options.

I have a handful of small(er) plastic bottles I think I picked up from US Plastics when I made an order awhile back... They're perhaps slightly wider than 33mm in diameter (the body looks like about a C battery, plus a screw-top on top). They are 30cc (30 ml or ~ 1 oz) which is 10 times the volume of the previous post - but don't have any dispensing mechanism - just a large pour-hole (so directly dispensing lube could be an issue). If you think that would fit your stock and want to give it a shot, shoot me a PM and I'd probably send you one - looks like about 73mm height, 33mm diameter...

(Good thread thought - I've personally known the bane of trying to operate a dry AR!)

Sam Spade
03-02-2012, 20:41
Consider a nickel-boron coating for the bolt carrier group. Several good ones (and a few poor ones) out there. Robar, Rifle Dynamics and TSD all do very good work.

humanguerrilla
03-02-2012, 20:49
1oz Lube bottles
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1199/Product/FLIP-TOP-SPOUT-BOTTLE

Clp comes in a flip top .68 oz the only one i've found is the one from the advantage arms kit, but they are listed on breakfree's site.

DJ Niner
03-03-2012, 00:26
I have several of the .68 oz Break Free CLP bottles. They measure about 3 5/8" tall (including cap), by about 7/8" in diameter. Bottle body is far too wide to fit into a stock AR A2-style grip, and the bottle w/cap is about a quarter-inch too long to allow the grip base cover to seat/latch in a Magpul MOE grip. If you were able to replace the fairly tall flip-up cap/spout with a flatter screw-on cover, you might get it into a MOE grip.

TangoFoxtrot
03-03-2012, 06:10
I keep a small container red grease in my Magpul MOE+ grip.

Big Bird
03-03-2012, 06:44
You can buy a small 2 oz plastic GI oil bottle at any Army Surplus store, gun show or online from most anyone that sells gun stuff. They run about $1. I have a half dozen stashed in my GHB, my range bag, my duck hunting blind bag, my shooting stool, etc. They are easy to use and don't leak if you keep the top tight. I have found the needle oilers always leak if you bounce them around in a bag or otherwise.

DJ Niner
03-03-2012, 22:05
I do the same with the small bottles of CLP; I got them cheap when a local store was going out-of-business. I usually stick them in a heavy-duty zip-lock bag, so if they DO start to leak, the bag catches all/most of it, and I get a little bit more notice that there is a problem. Bottles going into traveling bags or long-term storage get doubled-up zip-lock bags. Won't stop punctures from sharp items, but leaks from loose caps or temporarily getting squeezed are usually contained 100%.

The only thing worse than clothing items that smell like CLP, is LUNCH that smells like CLP...

kirgi08
03-04-2012, 00:19
If you don't want or care ta carry an oiller in the normal places.Have oil in a sling pin.I do.'08.

Aceman
03-04-2012, 09:52
And this is yet another reason why I choose AK. If I'm out of spit, I'm certainly out of bullets.

But I could think of THOUSANDS of solutions to this issue. I dig the straw approach as a bare bones / last resort. But there is no end of places to strap a small vial/bottle etc...

As if you'd need that much....

GAU-8
03-04-2012, 09:58
Are you sure you need to keep it ON the rifle?

I understand the thought process but I'm not sure this approach really makes sense.

It's a given you will only be able to have one or two mags "on" the rifle so the weapon would likely have enough lube to easily get thru that amount of ammo. So if you need more lube to keep the gun running you must also have a larger supply of ammo not attached to the weapon. Whats wrong with just keeping an oil bottle with the supply of ammo (like a small pouch). If you don't have ammo you don't need oil. If it's loss you are concerned about how do you keep from loosing your additional ammunition or losing the weapon itself for that matter?

I'm just trying to get my head around the why the oil must be kept ON the rifle itself

UneasyRider
03-04-2012, 10:51
And this is yet another reason why I choose AK. If I'm out of spit, I'm certainly out of bullets.

But I could think of THOUSANDS of solutions to this issue. I dig the straw approach as a bare bones / last resort. But there is no end of places to strap a small vial/bottle etc...

As if you'd need that much....

The AK is a nice rifle if you don't care too much about your work. :shocked:

A3middie
03-04-2012, 14:05
I've struggled with this problem as well, finally coming to the conclusion that in a shtf situation there will be no shortage of lube. Used motor oil off of a dipstick, atf dipstick, cooking oil, all of these and many more will get you by until you are able to clean and re-apply something proper. For myself, I feel it more beneficial to carry extra batterys and rifle parts on the rifle. If I had everything I would like to carry on my rifle, that thing would weigh twenty pounds.

Dexters
03-04-2012, 14:06
Think shotgun shells - attach what you want to the sling or butt stock.

ray9898
03-06-2012, 13:37
Plenty of forward grips have chambers built in for batteries and such. You could store plenty of cleaning supplies in one.

http://combatoptical.com/images/products/large_423_RF001acombo.jpg