.357 gold dot [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .357 gold dot

interlake869
03-02-2012, 18:13
hey mas thanks for your knowledge on this forum and your anticipated answer. the load in question is gold dot .357 mag 158gr out of a 4" k-frame smith revolver. k-frames were not intended for much .357 use and are advised against using light weight bullets ( forcing cone crack) so i picked up a few boxes of gd 158gr variety. what say you on this loading? goods bads and whatever else you would like to add

thanks again

Mas Ayoob
03-03-2012, 18:18
Couldn't tell ya, bro; haven't run across a shooting with that particular load. .357 SIG in the 125 grain load? There have been literally tons of bad people shot with it since it came out, and the data base shows it is working awesomely well. The .357 Magnum cartridge has faded almost entirely from the police scene, and dimmed profoundly on the armed citizen scene, so the newer cartridges for it like the 158 grain Gold Dot just don't have enough exposure to gather a data base.

Back In the Day, though, conventional 125 grain semi-jacketed hollowpoints at nominal 1400-1450 foot-second velocity performed awesomely, as the 125 grain JHP .357 SIG does today, so when I carry .357 Magnum, that's what I use. The older style rounds are where you find the experiential data base for the .357 Magnum revolver round.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
mas